LTH Home

Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm
    Post #61 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm Post #61 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm
    Pursuit wrote:And clearly learning how to quote correctly is “kinda done for me” too. Sorry about that

I repaired it for you.

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm
    Post #62 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm Post #62 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm
    Pursuit wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Putting politics aside, what is the actual allure of this place? The food is mass produced, low-level crap, and virtually indistinguishable from any other fried fast food chicken sandwich out there. I just don't get it what there is to be excited about.

I mostly agree, except I do consider it a very good chicken sandwich, definitely above "low-level crap". Would I wait in line or go out of my way for one? Probably not.

Part of its allure may be its regional scarcity up until the late 2000s... I think the closest one was in Racine for a long, long time.

“Low-level crap”. Well, that’s an opinion, just not a very good one. The place serves a fine chicken sandwich and the rest of their offering is good quality. Is it on par with the best local fried chicken places that have popped up in recent years? Nope, not intended to be.

Chik-fil-A is a fast food joint and nothing more. That said, it happens to be one of the best run, most consistent, most courteous fast food chains in the business. Iconic in the industry for these reasons. In addition, they do a lot of charitable good, treat their employees better than their competitors generally do, and when there is a local emergency, its not uncommon to see the local shop opening up to feed people for free.

You don’t like one aspect of their politics and won’t buy a sandwich from them in protest. More power to you! Me? I think there is a lot to be impressed with, and political outrage is just kind of done for me. So, when I get a hankerin’ you’ll find me marveling at just how fast that line went, and how good, moist and tasty that samich was.

Yeah, I just don't get it. I agree that (previous) scarcity may have contributed to the popularity but in a town like this, with so many better offerings (Roost, Leghorn, Budlong, to name just a few), I don't think this place rises above low-level. I mean, is there anything lower level than industrial, mass-produced fast food? Not in my book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fast food from time to time but I do think of it all as existing, more or less, on the same low level . . . and nothing to get excited about.

=R=
  • Post #63 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:22 pm
    Post #63 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:22 pm Post #63 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:22 pm
    Can somebody get to work on a Gantt chart of those who protest Leghorn, but like Chik and those who protest Chik, but like Leghorn. There’s gotta be a pony in that pile somewhere!
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #64 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
    Post #64 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm Post #64 - January 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
    Pursuit wrote:Can somebody get to work on a Gantt chart of those who protest Leghorn, but like Chik and those who protest Chik, but like Leghorn. There’s gotta be a pony in that pile somewhere!

LOL - yes, Leghorn is equally "overbearing" in the opposite direction but their food is better. :lol:

=R=
  • Post #65 - January 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm
    Post #65 - January 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm Post #65 - January 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:LOL - yes, Leghorn is equally "overbearing" in the opposite direction but their food is better. :lol:

I read that as “overbreading” and was about to get to work on making a protest sign. :x
  • Post #66 - January 2nd, 2019, 8:33 pm
    Post #66 - January 2nd, 2019, 8:33 pm Post #66 - January 2nd, 2019, 8:33 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Putting politics aside, what is the actual allure of this place? The food is mass produced, low-level crap, and virtually indistinguishable from any other fried fast food chicken sandwich out there. I just don't get it what there is to be excited about.

=R=

Honestly? They make an effing good chicken sandwich. You may disagree. That's fine. It's the best in the business, I would say.
  • Post #67 - January 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm
    Post #67 - January 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm Post #67 - January 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm
    Binko wrote:

=R=

Honestly? They make an effing good chicken sandwich. You may disagree. That's fine. It's the best in the business, I would say.

I like the waffle fries and chicken sandwich, but the main reason I like Chick-fil-A is that my 92-year-old mother loves it--and the employees go out of their way to take care of her. She is treated like royalty. Truly nice people.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #68 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm
    Post #68 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm Post #68 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm
    Binko wrote:

=R=

I think it's right up there with other chicken sandwich luminaries like Burger King, McDonald's and White Castle. I remember having it for the first time in South Carolina years ago and shaking my head in disbelief, wondering what all the fuss was about. I've had it a few times since then and I just don't get the fetishism over them. They're positively ordinary.

=R=
  • Post #69 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:19 pm
    Post #69 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:19 pm Post #69 - January 2nd, 2019, 10:19 pm
    Low level...

Considering the other fast food...

McChicken
    BK Crispy Chicken
    Wendy’s Crispy Chicken

... and of course all of these places have a premium version.

In my experience Chick-fil-a has them beat at both ends. After all this is what they specialize in.

Are these fast food places as good as a nice boneless chicken sandwich at a top restaurant? Probably not (maybe so?) but...

I’ll admit a McChicken scratches an itch from time to time. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #70 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am
    Post #70 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am Post #70 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am
    "Putting politics aside, what is the actual allure of this place? ... I just don't get it what there is to be excited about.

I remember having it for the first time in South Carolina years ago and shaking my head in disbelief, wondering what all the fuss was about. I've had it a few times since then and I just don't get the fetishism over them. They're positively ordinary.

=R= "

Full disclosure. I usually cannot put my politics aside. And I had not frequented Chick-fil-a for that reason. But on a family road trip last year, I made an exception due to location (we were driving through eastern Virginia), hunger and family peer pressure. So we stopped and I ordered a sandwich. I expected to be sheepish about eating the sandwich but would be privately enjoying the deliciousness. I was completely underwhelmed. Have to completely agree with Ronnie Suburban on this one... #stillnotsurewhyallthehype
    "A party without cake is really just a meeting" ~ Julia Child
    "There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry." ~ Julia Child
    "Build a Longer Table, NOT a Wall..."
  • Post #71 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am
    Post #71 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am Post #71 - January 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am
    It's easy for me to put politics aside in this case, since I don't frequent any fast food chain. Why?

Because none of them are any good, and I know that to sell that food for the price they do they're using low quality stuff some place along the way. They pack it full of salt and sugar and other bad stuff to hide the fact that there's no real flavor there. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get real food from a local place where the profits go back into our economy, not sucked up into some corporate office in the sky.

I don't go to Lettuce Entertain You places either, unless stuck with a gift certificate, and then I have a very hard time finding one I'll go to. Corporate stuff, designed in a corporate kitchen for mass appeal, and winding up with no soul. Count me out.

I agree with the "scarcity breeds want" mentality.

Remember when you couldn't get Coors? If was held up as nirvana, and when it became available here most said "um, this stuff is ordinary at best."

I don't get In & Out either. I made an exploratory trip in California, and found the burgers week and the fried just a bunch of badly cooked pieces. No interest to go back.
  • Post #72 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am
    Post #72 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am Post #72 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yeah, I just don't get it. I agree that (previous) scarcity may have contributed to the popularity but in a town like this, with so many better offerings (Roost, Leghorn, Budlong, to name just a few), I don't think this place rises above low-level. I mean, is there anything lower level than industrial, mass-produced fast food? Not in my book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fast food from time to time but I do think of it all as existing, more or less, on the same low level . . . and nothing to get excited about.

=R=

Political leaning and reasoning aside as a reason to frequent Chick-fil-A or not, in terms of just the food, it's not really fair to compare it to Roost, Leghorn, Budlong, Honey Butter, etc. That would be like comparing McDonalds to Au Cheval, Taco Bell to Big Star, Olive Garden to Monteverde. Different class of food and different expectations.

In terms of Chick-fil-A the things it has over the mentioned other establishments.....a drive thru and many more locations. I may love Leghorn, Budlong, etc. but I don't always have the time or desire to drive 45 mins into the City and find parking to grab a quick sandwich.
  • Post #73 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:09 am
    Post #73 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:09 am Post #73 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:09 am
    thetrob wrote:In terms of Chick-fil-A the things it has over the mentioned other establishments.....a drive thru and many more locations. I may love Leghorn, Budlong, etc. but I don't always have the time or desire to drive 45 mins into the City and find parking to grab a quick sandwich.
    AMEN.

I partake of the chicken & biscuit breakfast sandwich approx 2X per month from the Chick Fil A near my office. I will say this has become less & less as the size of the chicken has gone down as well as the quality of the biscuit. For the first couple of years, they were nailing it in a delicious way, now not so often. Downward spiral.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #74 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:11 am
    Post #74 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:11 am Post #74 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:11 am
    chicagojim wrote:It's easy for me to put politics aside in this case, since I don't frequent any fast food chain. Why?

Because none of them are any good, and I know that to sell that food for the price they do they're using low quality stuff some place along the way. They pack it full of salt and sugar and other bad stuff to hide the fact that there's no real flavor there. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get real food from a local place where the profits go back into our economy, not sucked up into some corporate office in the sky.

I don't go to Lettuce Entertain You places either, unless stuck with a gift certificate, and then I have a very hard time finding one I'll go to. Corporate stuff, designed in a corporate kitchen for mass appeal, and winding up with no soul. Count me out.

Remember when you couldn't get Coors? If was held up as nirvana, and when it became available here most said "um, this stuff is ordinary at best."

I don't get In & Out either. I made an exploratory trip in California, and found the burgers week and the fried just a bunch of badly cooked pieces. No interest to go back.

Probably not the thread for this discussion, but I think in terms of Lettuce Entertain You establishments there are still some outstanding ones. Stay away from the food courts and the Maggianos or Big Bowls that have been homogenized. Places like RPM Italian, RPM Steak, Antico Posto, Everest are still excellent restaurants.
  • Post #75 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am
    Post #75 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am Post #75 - January 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am
    chicagojim wrote:I don't frequent any fast food chain. ...
    Because none of them are any good, and I know that to sell that food for the price they do they're using low quality stuff ... I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get real food from a local place where the profits go back into our economy, not sucked up into some corporate office in the sky.

I don't go to Lettuce Entertain You places either, ... Corporate stuff, designed in a corporate kitchen for mass appeal, and winding up with no soul.
    thetrob wrote:I think in terms of LEYE there are still some outstanding ones. Stay away from the food courts and the Maggianos or Big Bowls that have been homogenized. Places like RPM Italian, RPM Steak, Antico Posto, Everest are still excellent restaurants.

+1 on complete abstention from fast food (I don't consider Starbucks for coffee, not food, in violation of this). Given the availability of fresh produce, quick prep at home is the way to avoid being in a place where fast food's practicality overcomes all it has going against it (doesn't taste good, unhealthy, bad for the environment, poor labor practices).

LEYE presents a different conundrum, but one nevertheless. The food is decent, better-than-decent at the examples provided, but it's so sterile and calculated an experience. It serves a purpose, especially when trying to accommodate less adventurous diners, and their consistency cannot be questioned. But if left to my own choice, I'd like to give the independent restauranteur my business, who, often to their own detriment risk it all on big flavor/texture, rather than a well planned focus-groupy concept in River North or Suburban Shopping Center X.
  • Post #76 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    Post #76 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am Post #76 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    thetrob wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yeah, I just don't get it. I agree that (previous) scarcity may have contributed to the popularity but in a town like this, with so many better offerings (Roost, Leghorn, Budlong, to name just a few), I don't think this place rises above low-level. I mean, is there anything lower level than industrial, mass-produced fast food? Not in my book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fast food from time to time but I do think of it all as existing, more or less, on the same low level . . . and nothing to get excited about.

=R=

Political leaning and reasoning aside as a reason to frequent Chick-fil-A or not, in terms of just the food, it's not really fair to compare it to Roost, Leghorn, Budlong, Honey Butter, etc. That would be like comparing McDonalds to Au Cheval, Taco Bell to Big Star, Olive Garden to Monteverde. Different class of food and different expectations.

In terms of Chick-fil-A the things it has over the mentioned other establishments.....a drive thru and many more locations. I may love Leghorn, Budlong, etc. but I don't always have the time or desire to drive 45 mins into the City and find parking to grab a quick sandwich.

Well, as I mentioned, I think it compares neutrally to McDonald's, Burger King, White Castle, etc. Yes, the other places I mentioned are infinitely superior, though, admittedly, less accessible.

=R=
  • Post #77 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am
    Post #77 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am Post #77 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am
    I'm not a 100% abstainer from fast food, there are times when the time is the factor and a drive through cheap meal will get the job done (Sausage Biscuit for lunch from McD's is my most recent failing). Airports are another place where fast or fast-casual may be the only option unless the plane has been delayed, and it was a Philadelphia Chick-Fil-A that I first tried it. Completely unimpressed, but I chalked it up to airport version.
    When C-F-A opened in Mount Prospect I tried it again. It was a little better, but it didn't give me any reason to run back. I'd rather get a couple pieces of chicken from Popeye's (especially an outlet that still has the onion rings).

But then, I don't care much for In-and-Out either, I'd much rather hit Culver's any day of the week (perhaps part of that is the cult of "animal style" -- just don't care for yellow mustard or thousand island).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #78 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:30 am
    Post #78 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:30 am Post #78 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:30 am
    thetrob wrote:
    chicagojim wrote:It's easy for me to put politics aside in this case, since I don't frequent any fast food chain. Why?

Probably not the thread for this discussion, but I think in terms of Lettuce Entertain You establishments there are still some outstanding ones. Stay away from the food courts and the Maggianos or Big Bowls that have been homogenized. Places like RPM Italian, RPM Steak, Antico Posto, Everest are still excellent restaurants.

Agreed. Maggiano's is on my "Will Not Go" list but I still enjoy Antico Posto and Petterino's quite a bit.
  • Post #79 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:59 am
    Post #79 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:59 am Post #79 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:59 am
    JoelF wrote:..... Airports are another place where fast or fast-casual may be the only option unless the plane has been delayed, and it was a Philadelphia Chick-Fil-A that I first tried it. Completely unimpressed, but I chalked it up to airport version.....

In similar fashion, if one were to base their Leghorn or Big Star opinions on what is offered in their United Center versions I think they would come away less than impressed. That being said, in terms of Airport food, I look forward to Frontera Fresco in the airport.
  • Post #80 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm
    Post #80 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm Post #80 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm
    I've done workday morning breakfast drive-through at the one south of Old Orchard. They open at 6:00 and the biscuit, sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich tastes much better than the breakfast sandwich competition. Also, I have never encountered a drive-through line there- unlike at the competition. Never tried anything else there, but that breakfast sandwich is pretty good.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #81 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm
    Post #81 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm Post #81 - January 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm
    A couple of clarifications...

thetrob wrote:I think in terms of Lettuce Entertain You establishments there are still some outstanding ones. Stay away from the food courts and the Maggianos or Big Bowls that have been homogenized. Places like RPM Italian, RPM Steak, Antico Posto, Everest are still excellent restaurants.

Maggiano's started in 1991 as a LEY restaurant, but was sold four years later to Brinker International. They still have a marketing agreement with LEY for Maggiano's locations in Illinois to sell and honor LEY gift cards, but Brinker is a separate company. Brinker also owns the Chili's chain.

thetrob wrote:in terms of Airport food, I look forward to Frontera Fresco in the airport.

The Rick Bayless locations in the airport are called Tortas Frontera.
  • Post #82 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm
    Post #82 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm Post #82 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:A couple of clarifications...

thetrob wrote:I think in terms of Lettuce Entertain You establishments there are still some outstanding ones. Stay away from the food courts and the Maggianos or Big Bowls that have been homogenized. Places like RPM Italian, RPM Steak, Antico Posto, Everest are still excellent restaurants.

Maggiano's started in 1991 as a LEY restaurant, but was sold four years later to Brinker International. They still have a marketing agreement with LEY for Maggiano's locations in Illinois to sell and honor LEY gift cards, but Brinker is a separate company. Brinker also owns the Chili's chain.

thetrob wrote:in terms of Airport food, I look forward to Frontera Fresco in the airport.

The Rick Bayless locations in the airport are called Tortas Frontera.

You're right on both counts. I was at the Frontera Fresco in Macy's recently and that was the name that popped into my head.

In terms of Maggianos, the changes Brinker has made over the years have really worsened it. While it is still "OK", it is no where near as good as it originally was. The changes by Brinker were not immediate, and while they adjusted the menu initially, a lot of the favorites stayed. Slowly though, portions changed, favorite items no longer appeared, etc. I was there not too long ago, and they had totally revamped the menu, and not necessarily in a good way.

Brinker also acquired Big Bowl and Corner Bakery from Lettuce, but have since divested themselves of them. All of these restaurants though still honor the LEYE frequent diner card and allow you to make reservations on the LEYE App.
  • Post #83 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm
    Post #83 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm Post #83 - January 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm
    JoelF wrote:But then, I don't care much for In-and-Out either, I'd much rather hit Culver's any day of the week (perhaps part of that is the cult of "animal style" -- just don't care for yellow mustard or thousand island).

Culver's is fine, In-N-Out fantastic, always my first stop anytime I have access.

Coincidentally I had airport Chick-fil-A last night, edible-yes, craveable-not so much. As my bride says, its the pickle that makes Chick-fil-A.

She's a fan of Jack in the Box tacos, there was a Jack in the Box in our terminal but they did not serve tacos so we opted for Chick-fil-A.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #84 - January 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm
    Post #84 - January 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm Post #84 - January 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm
    If you say your objections have nothing to do with the food, well, that's pretty clear, you're not talking about food.

But if you then say that the food is not good enough to overcome your objections, does that mean that hypothetically some food could be good enough to overcome such objections?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #85 - January 3rd, 2019, 8:12 pm
    Post #85 - January 3rd, 2019, 8:12 pm Post #85 - January 3rd, 2019, 8:12 pm
    Katie wrote:But if you then say that the food is not good enough to overcome your objections, does that mean that hypothetically some food could be good enough to overcome such objections?

ICC Judge: You stand before us today accused of unimaginably horrific crimes against humanity and our records show that it was all for *a doughnut*???

Me: Okay, first of all, it’s called a “bombolino”....
  • Post #86 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:17 pm
    Post #86 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:17 pm Post #86 - January 3rd, 2019, 11:17 pm
    G Wiv wrote:She's a fan of Jack in the Box tacos, there was a Jack in the Box in our terminal but they did not serve tacos so we opted for Chick-fil-A.

Bride has excellent taste. :) Overall, I'm no fan of Jack in the Box, probably because of a long Greyhound journey a couple decades ago where we stopped at every JitB along the route, it seemed, but, yes, those tacos scratch a certain itch.
  • Post #87 - January 25th, 2019, 8:22 pm
    Post #87 - January 25th, 2019, 8:22 pm Post #87 - January 25th, 2019, 8:22 pm
    Chick-fil-A approved for Pointe Plaza in Niles
    https://trib.in/2UbT9UK
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #88 - March 24th, 2019, 12:10 pm
    Post #88 - March 24th, 2019, 12:10 pm Post #88 - March 24th, 2019, 12:10 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:So they were still supporting anti-LGBTQ organizations several years after the controversy arose. I'll believe that they no longer do so when I see a reputable source that says they've stopped, rather than idle speculation.

And in the past couple of years...

Chick-fil-A has increased its funding of anti-LGBTQ groups
  • Post #89 - March 24th, 2019, 10:49 pm
    Post #89 - March 24th, 2019, 10:49 pm Post #89 - March 24th, 2019, 10:49 pm
    ^^^

These are the three organizations that the squawk is all about:

Think Progress reports that the foundation gave “$1,653,416 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, $6,000 to the Paul Anderson Youth Home, and $150,000 to the Salvation Army,” a slight increase from their donations to these groups from the previous year.

I have contributed to two of those organizations also, including 20# of macaroni salad to the Salvation Army Hospitality House in Tucson. You sure don't want to feed them homeless people.
  • Post #90 - March 24th, 2019, 11:08 pm
    Post #90 - March 24th, 2019, 11:08 pm Post #90 - March 24th, 2019, 11:08 pm
    Ok, both sides seem to have weighed in again here. With this vortex of a debate still not settled (insert mock surprise here), let's, once again, move on and focus on Chick-fil-A's actual food offerings.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide