LTH Home

A Taste of Mexico City in Geneva - Bien Trucha

A Taste of Mexico City in Geneva - Bien Trucha
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • A Taste of Mexico City in Geneva - Bien Trucha

Post #1 - August 16th, 2007, 9:05 pm
    Post #1 - August 16th, 2007, 9:05 pm Post #1 - August 16th, 2007, 9:05 pm
    There’s a new Mexican restaurant in the Fox Valley. My husband and I happened upon Bien Trucha tonight. We thought we were going to the local burrito joint and were pleasantly surprised to find Bien Trucha. It’s located in Geneva and owned by Ricardo Garcia-Rubio who owned Tia Maria for twenty years.

Bien Trucha is a small boutique restaurant. According to our server, Iliana, Bien Trucha is going for the more urbane cuisine of Mexico City.

We started with the Guacamole of the day. From the menu: Fresh avocados, lime, onion, cilantro, Serrano peppers (I think) and watermelon. It was very refreshing.

My husband had soup. Crema de Elote Asado. “creamy roasted corn, chile poblano, queso fresco cubes.

Next: Cazuelitas (fundido of sorts): Champinones: mushrooms (I think they were cremini), chile de arbol, garlic, onion, over a bed of melted cheese. They came with wonderful homemade corn tortillas and salsa.

Then the server (Ricardo’s daughter in law) brought us just a taste of the refried beans. Wonderfully homemade with a touch of chipotle. I think the simplicity of the frijoles made these one of my favorite things tonight (that and the tortillas)

There’s more. The concept is to order from the large variety of tacos (about 7 or 8) or tortas and share them. My husband ordered the Pescado tacos: beer battered crispy fish of the day, red cabbage, onion, tomato, lime, and roasted chipotle aioli. Four were served on a wooden plank … my husband likened it to Mexican sushi, although the portions were larger than that.

Had we known we would be so full, I wouldn’t have ordered the Bien Trucha tacos: grilled skirt steak, home-made chorizo, machengo cheese and a tomatillo-serrano salsa that was to die for. I liked this offering the best.

But my husband couldn’t resist the Cameron tacos: sautéed shrimp, lime, chipotle-mojo de ajo, avocado slice. I was pretty full but I couldn’t pass it by.

Oh, yes, I had a mango agua fresca. It was cool and refreshing and helped with some of the hotter moments.

On the whole, we really enjoyed our experience. Bien Trucha is a small restaurant, it seats probably no more than 10 or 12. they don’t take reservations, yet, but Iliana said they may soon. Bien Trucha is a family owned and operated labor of love. It is tastefully decorated and very welcoming. They don’t have their liquor license yet, but Iliana said they were planning on hand-mashing the fruit for the margaritas. No mixes. I can taste it now!

Bien Trucha Restaurante
    410 W. State Street
    Geneva,

hours of operation:
    Mon – thurs 11a - 9 p
    Friday 11 a – 10 p
    Sat. noon – 10 p
    Sunday closed
  • Post #2 - August 19th, 2007, 5:51 am
    Post #2 - August 19th, 2007, 5:51 am Post #2 - August 19th, 2007, 5:51 am
    So did Fernando's change its name, move or close? I always kinda liked that place, even if it was a little unconventional...
  • Post #3 - August 24th, 2007, 1:07 pm
    Post #3 - August 24th, 2007, 1:07 pm Post #3 - August 24th, 2007, 1:07 pm
    it's a different owner. I never made it into Fernando's, but as it was explained to me it is less like El Taco Grande (same family as Fernando's) and more urbane. Worth trying...
  • Post #4 - November 19th, 2007, 8:21 pm
    Post #4 - November 19th, 2007, 8:21 pm Post #4 - November 19th, 2007, 8:21 pm
    I read your post a while ago suggesting Bien Trucha. Sorry it has taken me so long to post back.

We tried it due to your glowing review and have been going back frequently. This place is charming... from the food to the wonderful young lady who greets and serves you. The Pescado(fish) tacos are simply the best. The other items we have been going back for are thier soups, mojitos and the shrimp tacos. Yum! We have tried a lot of the menu but keep going back for our favorites. Though we have never had anything bad.

I was there one friday evening at around 5pm and barely got a table (only 5), so I guess my post can only make it busier. It's a wonderful spot worth a try but keep an open mind... This isn't taco bell or On the border

Christina
    Christina~~
  • Post #5 - February 15th, 2008, 11:23 pm
    Post #5 - February 15th, 2008, 11:23 pm Post #5 - February 15th, 2008, 11:23 pm
    There is a post started about this wonderful restaurant here but I thought it appropriate to name the restaurant in the title.

My wife and I had a truly phenomenal experience here tonight.

Not sure I've had a better, authentic Mexican meal in the 'burbs (While it was open, Salbute may have worn this crown for me, but I found it somewhat disappointing at times and overpriced).

Small doesn't adequately describe the place - it's tiny! But very warm and inviting. Lucky for us at 7 pm on a Friday night, we waited only 5 minutes and were then led to a table. The owner's daughter, Iliana, served us and was warm and friendly. The entire staff was wonderful, down to the guys in the kitchen I passed on the way to the washroom. They all greeted me while slicing portobellos. One of the servers even brought over a small jamaica margarita on the house for us to try.

Apparently, the chef/owner used to own Tia Marias in Geneva. Several years ago, he moved to Playa del Carmen and opened Sazon. Upon returning to Geneva, he opened this spot. I wondered if there would be any Yucatecan food on the menu with his past in Playa del Carmen, but there was none to be found. One of the servers told me that the chef is from Mexico City and that is his influence.

First, the margaritas were outstanding. I was a little leary as they were all prepared with blanco (sauza, if I recall) tequila. I normally only want a margarita with reposado tequila. However, the freshness of the other flavors balanced the young tequila out nicely. I had a pineapple and tamarind one, which was excellent. The wife had a strawberry one, which was also great. They grind everything fresh to order - and use fresh everything - no frozen strawberries or mixes here.

Next, it was on to the soup. One was sopa bien trucha, which was basically sopa azteca (or tortilla soup), with chile ancho instead of the more traditional pasilla. It had the requisite avocado slices, cheese chunks and tortilla strips. A wonderful rendition.

The other was amazing - a crema de chile poblano. A roasted poblano chile soup with potato and cheese chunks. It was creamy, salty, roasty and just amazing.

We had the cazuelita de champinones - basically a queso fundido with wild mushrooms, garlic, chiles de arbol and chihuahua cheese baked and served with corn tortillas. Once again, this dish was perfect and left us wanting another order.

But, it was onto the tacos - one order of tacos de pastor and one order of tacos bien trucha. The pastor was succulent and seasoned very well and topped off with grilled pineapple.

The bien trucha tacos had steak, housemade chorizo, manchego cheese and tomatillo-serrano salsa. Again, outstanding. Next time, I might order steak tacos, instead as the chorizo overpowered the steak flavor a bit. Not that it was a bad thing, though, as the chorizo was excellent.

The tacos were served on a wooden plank - 4 per order. The menu listed several tortas that also sounded very good. Will definitely try a couple next time.

All topped off with a wonderful homemade flan (the only dessert - at least that night). Closed Sunday, Bien Trucha is open every other day for lunch and dinner. What a fantastic dinner from start to finish. It started great and just continued to elevate with each dish. We'll be back as often as possible.

Bien Trucha
    410 W. State Street
    Geneva, IL

630-232-2665

M - Th 11 - 9
    Fri 11 - 10
    Sat 12 - 3, 4 - 10
    Sun closed
  • Post #6 - February 18th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    Post #6 - February 18th, 2008, 1:46 pm Post #6 - February 18th, 2008, 1:46 pm
    So.....

By moving my post under an old thread, am I to understand that there is only one post allowed per restaurant??

I thought I'd revive talk of this wonderful restaurant and actually name it in the title.
  • Post #7 - February 18th, 2008, 2:10 pm
    Post #7 - February 18th, 2008, 2:10 pm Post #7 - February 18th, 2008, 2:10 pm
    Idub,

When a restaurant has many reviews in one thread, then anyone can catch the full breadth of experience. Chopping it up into many conversations over many threads is not as useful.

Normally you would have received a note on this via PM, Apparently I forgot.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #8 - February 18th, 2008, 2:27 pm
    Post #8 - February 18th, 2008, 2:27 pm Post #8 - February 18th, 2008, 2:27 pm
    Cathy2 - completely understood.

However, like I said, this subject does not even name the restaurant that I've spent time in writing up a detailed report about.

Also, there was simply one lonely thread about Bien Trucha - not many.

I guess I don't understand how this rule of thumb does not transfer to the countless threads I've seen of LTH favorites such as Katy's, Ed's, Amanacer etc.

If there had been 20 threads about BT, it would be easier to understand.
    As someone who has tried to increase my contributions as of late to this board, I feel let-down by this.

I even linked to the (formerly) other thread to try to keep everything consolidated.

I suppose I'll have to think twice next time before posting...sad, indeed.
  • Post #9 - February 18th, 2008, 8:59 pm
    Post #9 - February 18th, 2008, 8:59 pm Post #9 - February 18th, 2008, 8:59 pm
    Idub.... please keep your reviews coming! We were in the Batavia/Geneva area last night and looking for a Mexican restaurant. We ended up at Pepe's in Batavia and although it wasn't half-bad (actually, the service was superb), had I read this review, we would've checked to see if Bien Trucha was open. And as a result of your very thorough, informative & enticing review, we'll make the drive to Geneva to taste for ourselves!!
  • Post #10 - February 18th, 2008, 10:28 pm
    Post #10 - February 18th, 2008, 10:28 pm Post #10 - February 18th, 2008, 10:28 pm
    ldub wrote:Cathy2 - completely understood.

However, like I said, this subject does not even name the restaurant that I've spent time in writing up a detailed report about.

I do find it very helpful to have the restaurant name in the title and the address in the body -- I would have been tempted to do as you did, though I also feel C2 makes a point about consolidating threads on the same topic. Thanks for posting Idub.

This place sounds intriguing, and I actually mapquested it out today. It's a haul for me...but tempting.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #11 - February 20th, 2008, 10:30 am
    Post #11 - February 20th, 2008, 10:30 am Post #11 - February 20th, 2008, 10:30 am
    Thanks, wineaux and David.

So, to be more helpful for other users, can a Mod at least put the restaurant's name in the title.

Then again, it is such a small place that maybe this was changed to keep people out and allow Cathy2 to get a table easier... :wink:
  • Post #12 - February 20th, 2008, 10:37 am
    Post #12 - February 20th, 2008, 10:37 am Post #12 - February 20th, 2008, 10:37 am
    ldub wrote:Thanks, wineaux and David.

So, to be more helpful for other users, can a Mod at least put the restaurant's name in the title.

Then again, it is such a small place that maybe this was changed to keep people out and allow Cathy2 to get a table easier... :wink:

Ha Ha ha ... I thought I had put the restaurant's name in brackets. Goodness knows where I picked up what was there, but it has been corrected.

I do have friends in Geneva that I have already sent your link to. I just might join them there sometime.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #13 - February 20th, 2008, 12:07 pm
    Post #13 - February 20th, 2008, 12:07 pm Post #13 - February 20th, 2008, 12:07 pm
    Thanks much, Cathy2!

In my original thread, I did have Bien Trucha and also "Buen Provecho" (bon appetit) in the title.

As an additional tip - while we were dining there, several people came in, heard about the lengthy wait and asked the restaurant to call them when their table was ready.

Judging from the riotous and extremely loud nature of a party of 8 that entered as we were leaving, they did just that and waited at a pub nearby and proceeded to imbibe liberally.

Speaking of which, maybe it's worth a discussion of bars to wait at in downtown Geneva. I have only been to a couple:

Old Towne Pub is a nice bar with a fairly limited beer selection. (They have a pretty good menu with a very good reuben - though I advise not eating while waiting for a table at Bien Trucha!)

Stockholm's brews their own beer. Pretty good beer and I applaud them for making their own. (their "nachos" were memorable - if I recall correctly, the Italian-style chips were covered with an asiago cheese sauce; overall, unusually good and different bar food)

Anyone have other favorites in the area?

Old Towne Pub
    201 W. State St.
    Geneva, IL

Stockholm's Pub
    306 W. State St.
    Geneva, IL
  • Post #14 - February 21st, 2008, 2:37 pm
    Post #14 - February 21st, 2008, 2:37 pm Post #14 - February 21st, 2008, 2:37 pm
    Thanks for the great review.
    I have been a long time fan of Tia Maria's and to now know the former owners have opened a new spot is very exciting! Thanks to your wonderful review...this place is now on my radar to try as soon as possible.
    Thanks again!
  • Post #15 - February 22nd, 2008, 10:20 am
    Post #15 - February 22nd, 2008, 10:20 am Post #15 - February 22nd, 2008, 10:20 am
    wineaux wrote:Idub.... please keep your reviews coming! We were in the Batavia/Geneva area last night and looking for a Mexican restaurant. We ended up at Pepe's in Batavia ....

You were only 2 blocks from El Taco Grande in Batavia which is hard to find now during the bridge construction. Haven't been to Bien Trucha yet but will when the weather eases up.
  • Post #16 - April 15th, 2008, 11:22 am
    Post #16 - April 15th, 2008, 11:22 am Post #16 - April 15th, 2008, 11:22 am
    Went back to Bien Trucha last weekend and found it every bit as good as previously. There was a mixup, but the owner quickly rectified it.

We put our name and number in and were told it was 1.5 hour wait. Sigh....

We were willing to wait, though, and had drinks at Stockholm's down the street. An hour and a half pass without a call, so we decide to walk down and ask how much longer.

The owner tells me that he had called twice and I did not pick up. I checked my phone and there was no "missed call" message, though with cell phones, this would not be out of the ordinary, I suppose. We debated for a minute and he informed me that they had moved on to the next name. I lamented that we had waited 1.5 hours already, had a babysitter at home, etc. He ended up seating us at a small table in the corner, which was used for holding take-out menus, business cards, etc. He also offered to buy our first round of drinks and an order of guacamole (we had the guacamole del dia, which included watermelon and was wonderful).

This time, I ordered a torta and it was outstanding. The bread just melted in my mouth and the flavors of the skirt steak, chorizo, etc. just worked together amazingly.
  • Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 11:38 am
    Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 11:38 am Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 11:38 am
    We went with friends last year and it was a very delightful meal. You can have a margerita made with better tequila. I'd strongly recommend trying the one made with cucumber.

I hope they move to a bigger location. It is really small.

Great food. Great service. Great drinks.
  • Post #18 - April 21st, 2008, 9:59 am
    Post #18 - April 21st, 2008, 9:59 am Post #18 - April 21st, 2008, 9:59 am
    Hurry!

Saw Bien Trucha listed in the newest Chicago magazine in a small, one-page article about the best tacos. There's Bien Trucha - listed right at the top.

Good publicity for them. Growing wait times for me.
  • Post #19 - April 21st, 2008, 4:24 pm
    Post #19 - April 21st, 2008, 4:24 pm Post #19 - April 21st, 2008, 4:24 pm
    Maybe they'll move to a slightly bigger place.
  • Post #20 - April 23rd, 2008, 2:07 pm
    Post #20 - April 23rd, 2008, 2:07 pm Post #20 - April 23rd, 2008, 2:07 pm
    The chef/owner has stated that he is looking to move, "when the time is right."

My only hope is that when this happens, the food will stay as good and as consistent. With such a small place, he oversees every single dish leaving the kitchen.
  • Post #21 - November 10th, 2008, 8:09 pm
    Post #21 - November 10th, 2008, 8:09 pm Post #21 - November 10th, 2008, 8:09 pm
    Just to update this thread. Bien Trucha is closed on Mondays. I learned the hard way.
  • Post #22 - November 11th, 2008, 11:17 am
    Post #22 - November 11th, 2008, 11:17 am Post #22 - November 11th, 2008, 11:17 am
    And another update. I was in there a few weeks ago, and spoke with the owner. They are in the process of signing all the paperwork/building permits for moving to a larger place. They're hoping to move in the spring!!
    SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD, BUT IT CHANGES THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG.
  • Post #23 - November 12th, 2008, 12:17 pm
    Post #23 - November 12th, 2008, 12:17 pm Post #23 - November 12th, 2008, 12:17 pm
    In relatively serene, family-centered Geneva, I was taken aback by the horrible, amateurish techno music playing when I entered Bien Trucha for lunch while the young, well-dressed Mexican staff bobbed to the beat. The tiny restaurant looked comforting though, so I continued toward a table - determined to bring a walkman next time, if I ever decided to return. When I looked at fruity margaritas, pomegranate guacamole, and health-conscious veggie-friendly menu items, I was skeptical, to say the least.

Then I started eating some of the freshest, most delicious Mexican food - classic and traditional or not - that I've had in Chicagoland. To start, gratis chips that were still hot from the fryer, served with a rich, relatively mild, extremely smooth bean puree with chipotles. This was positively addicting. Then I had the Sopa Bien Trucha - an epazote-heavy tomato broth, where the bitter, pungeant herb was balanced beautifully by bright, fresh, incredible queso fresco. I don't know if they make the cheese in house, but if they don't, I want to know the brand. I ended with a taco plate, after being annoyed that the kitchen refused to let me have a variety. There are about 10 kinds of taco plates, each consisting of a 4-taco order. I wanted 2 of one and 2 of another. No dice. Annoying. Nevertheless, the four Bien Trucha tacos I had had charred bits of very juicy skirt steak, spicy homemade chorizo, creamy manchego, and a not-too hot bright-green tomatillo salsa with serranos. I've had better tacos only in Mexico City.

Bien Trucha is the real deal. It's annoying in some ways, but the food is easily good enough to compensate.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #24 - November 12th, 2008, 3:07 pm
    Post #24 - November 12th, 2008, 3:07 pm Post #24 - November 12th, 2008, 3:07 pm
    [quote="Kennyz"]There are about 10 kinds of taco plates, each consisting of a 4-taco order. I wanted 2 of one and 2 of another. No dice. Annoying. [quote]

I didn't understand this either.

I must dissent on the rest, however: I stopped here over the summer for an early dinner on my way back from Iowa and had, given the buildup from Nagrant's Serious Eats column on the place, my most disappointing meal of the year. The fruit-enhanced guac (watermelon) was definitely novel, but the Bien Trucha tacos had far too many elements centered on chewy, oozy, and fatty (e.g., the steak, the sausage, the cheese) to distinguish flavors in any real manner--the result was akin to eating really high-end dog food. I wish I could have tried some of the other taco styles, but they are, as Kenny notes, rigid about mixing plates up.

Having said this, I wouldn't hesitate to go back just to see how the other taco styles hold up. And the new space is a promising sign: their current space is the least restaurant- inclined location I've ever dined in. I mean, is there even a four-top in the present spot?
  • Post #25 - November 13th, 2008, 8:59 am
    Post #25 - November 13th, 2008, 8:59 am Post #25 - November 13th, 2008, 8:59 am
    chezbrad wrote:...the Bien Trucha tacos had far too many elements centered on chewy, oozy, and fatty (e.g., the steak, the sausage, the cheese) to distinguish flavors in any real manner

I really liked this taco, but I can see where you're coming from. I thought the flavor contrasts worked very well, but a little textural addition might have been nice. Some chopped raw onion, perhaps. Maybe I'll ask for that next time, though I'm a little worried about special requests after the response to my request to mix up the taco plate.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #26 - November 23rd, 2008, 4:11 pm
    Post #26 - November 23rd, 2008, 4:11 pm Post #26 - November 23rd, 2008, 4:11 pm
    I think this is a good place to go with 2 or more people so you can share dishes. I went here with my mom and the baby over the summer during lunch [around 1 pm]. When we got there, the place was dead, only one other table occupied.

We shared a bowl of watermelon guacamole, and then a taco plate and a torta. I can't remember what type we had now, but everything was fairly decent; I particularly liked the guacamole. We also had margaritas, which were also good.

Since my parents live near here, I need to find another time to try it again.
    -- Nora --
    "Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want." ~Gael Greene
  • Post #27 - May 15th, 2009, 2:52 pm
    Post #27 - May 15th, 2009, 2:52 pm Post #27 - May 15th, 2009, 2:52 pm
    I was in for another delicious meal a week ago and was delighted to find out that they had come to terms with the salon that they share the building with. They said they were hoping to have that half ready to go in about two months.

Mind you, the salon seems to be the same size as the Bien Trucha half, so I doubt they're going to be able to seat much more than double what they do now. At the least, this guarantees they will not move to a behemoth of a location and have quality issues due to an overtaxed kitchen.
  • Post #28 - July 7th, 2009, 4:32 pm
    Post #28 - July 7th, 2009, 4:32 pm Post #28 - July 7th, 2009, 4:32 pm
    This has got to be one of the most over rated restaurants period. I had the skirt steak tacos that came with cheese and some green sauce. I expected a little more contrast between the flavors and a little more zest or zing(perhaps needed more lemon). Because of this, I asked for some hot sauce(more on this later). Everything just kind of melded together and no flavors really stood out which was a big disappointment. I really expected this place to be outstanding based on all the accolades but it was just average at best and quite the letdown. The food tasted okay but was not any better than my favorite taqueria in Addison. Even Chipotle or Baja fresh tacos taste better than this place.

The customer service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. They are disingenuous by trying to add on extra charges without listing them on the menu or telling you at the time of the request. Asking for hot sauce is an added charge. Not just fifty cents but two smackers for a tiny amount. What's next, charging for asking for a wedge of lemon? Instead of giving me hot sauce, they gave me a very tiny bit of the same green sauce that was already on my taco. They did remove the charge but they have a very defensive attitude when you question them. I suggest they try some humble pie and customer service. I do not believe they made the so-called hot sauce fresh on request(as they claimed) because when I went to the bathroom, which you reach by going through the kitchen, I saw them taking some other pre-prepared stuff out of tupperware.

I would not go back to this place because you can get better food and service elsewhere and it's not worth the hassle of dealing the poor attitude.
  • Post #29 - July 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm
    Post #29 - July 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm Post #29 - July 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm
    I have to disagree. My girlfriend and I treasure this place, and in around 10 visits we've never experienced anything but courteous, welcoming service. One time, the wrong order of tacos came out, but I'd chalk that up to our proximity to the music, and it was quickly remedied.

I can see how someone expecting a traditional taqueria experience like La Pasadita might have a bit of shell-shock (tacos come 4 at a time, no mixing/matching), but Bien Trucha has a vision that I believe they execute very well. As for the food, it's the reason we keep returning: anything with the poblano-serrano sauce is great (and there is a lot), but standouts for us are the Pescado and Bien Trucha tacos, the Chorizo Cazuelita, and a Chicken Mole Taco special of the day (which I hope to see return). I'd love to post pictures, and I'll probably do so after our next visit. The only downside is the tight quarters, but the expansion should help to remedy that.

na: I'd love to hear about your favorite taqueria and what you like to eat there.
  • Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 5:25 pm
    Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 5:25 pm Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 5:25 pm
    I was not expecting a traditional taqueria experience but I did expect it to elevate it to the next level along the lines of what Rick Bayless does at Frontera Grill, a restaurant that I enjoy very much. I'm glad that you enjoy it, Geno55, but sorry it just did not float my boat. Perhaps my expectations were too high or I ordered wrong. I don't remember the name of the place where I had the most amazing tacos al pastor but it was not La Pasadita. I'll get back to you on that one.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more