LTH Home

Bag of Fish--Roosevelt Road, Berwyn

Bag of Fish--Roosevelt Road, Berwyn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bag of Fish--Roosevelt Road, Berwyn

Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 9:18 pm
    Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 9:18 pm Post #1 - June 2nd, 2004, 9:18 pm
    I've been wanting to try this attractively-named place for a long time. The premise is that the owner wanted someplace where he could get the freshwater fish he remembered from shore dinners on Minnesota lakes. So they sell walleye, yellow perch, and smelt, in addition to the more traditional Chicago fish place options. You can order the fish either in a dinner or by the pound. They also have fish tacos and the omnipresent "jumbo wings."

The current owners took over three months ago. He was wearing a "South Cicero" baseball cap, but put down his cigarette to take my order of perch, smelt, and a fish taco. She was wearing a nice dress and a purple hat, and pulled the fish out of the refrigerator and started breading it as I placed my order. Ed's jumbo wings followed a similar path.

That was pretty much the end of the good news. Nothing was pre-breaded, nothing was sitting under heat lamps, nothing was overcooked or undercooked. They're trying to do it right. But I think they really aren't doing enough business to keep that number of different varieties of fish fresh. The wings were fine, reflecting, I suspect, greater customer demand and less susceptibility to rapid deterioration. I nonetheless ate it all, except for the fish taco which was clearly not going to be worth the effort. It was also underseasoned, though greatly improved by a tomatillo hot sauce I'd picked up at the otherwise forgettable J and C International Market, Fresh Fruits and Vegetable, a couple of blocks west.

With a lot of demand, and a spicier breading, this could be a good place. But I don't think that even with the latter it will achieve the former. The Oak Park area continues to wait for a good fried fish joint.
  • Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:19 pm
    Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:19 pm Post #2 - June 2nd, 2004, 11:19 pm
    Hey Ann,

I was going to ask you the address of this place, but instead, I did a quick search, and provide it here for all to see:

BAG OF FISH
    6909 ROOSEVELT RD,BERWYN,IL,60402
    ( 708 ) 788 - 3375

I intend to check it out. It's local, and who doesn't love a big bag o' fish?

David

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more