LTH Home

Freddy's Pizza, Cicero

Freddy's Pizza, Cicero
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - February 3rd, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Post #91 - February 3rd, 2020, 2:35 pm Post #91 - February 3rd, 2020, 2:35 pm
    I had long wanted to try Freddy's but it's a bit of a haul for me and I kept putting it off. I finally went a couple of times in the fall and it was great. I wanted to try their Italian Beef which was excellent, but while I was waiting to pay for my sandwich, the ladies started bringing out trays of their margherita pizzas; fresh out of the oven. I had to try a slice as well. I was blown away. It's a marriage of a typical Neapolitan margherita with a lot of fresh mozzarella, crush tomato sauce, fresh basil but what clinched it was the dough. The first time I had a slice it was charred on the bottom and every bite was crisp - not soggy and droopy at all. Like a great bread dough, not typical 00 flour from Italy. The second time the pizza was less done on the bottom but still excellent. I can see why this place is an institution in Cicero. They have so many things to try as well. I am sure many of you are quite familiar.
  • Post #92 - June 27th, 2020, 1:21 pm
    Post #92 - June 27th, 2020, 1:21 pm Post #92 - June 27th, 2020, 1:21 pm
    I know they've reopened, but does anyone know how the current system works? The personal interaction has always seemed like such an important part of ordering. For example, I usually just signal "when" when they're scooping out pasta into a container, but you can't do that over the phone.
  • Post #93 - June 27th, 2020, 5:26 pm
    Post #93 - June 27th, 2020, 5:26 pm Post #93 - June 27th, 2020, 5:26 pm
    OK, answering my own question here: Freddy's is doing the best it can under the circumstances. I tried calling first, and while they picked up fast the phone was essentially just put down on the counter while I listened to the background chaos. I got disconnected so called back, and this time after I put in the first item of my order they just said "you know, we're open, you can just come in." Um, OK.

I hop into the car and pass all sorts of questionably casual congregations on the way there, from packed porch parties to plenty of mask-free people piled in line at Gia's Italian Ice. Get to Freddy's, and I was surprised to see how little it had changed from its usual quirky self. You can order in two places, through the window in the enclosed patio (six in there at a time) or in the store itself (which is also limiting folks). Ordering was fine - things are as crazy as ever behind the counter - but while everyone there is masked and gloved, the clientele is the predictable mishmash of different safety standards.

Admittedly, everyone in line or the store itself was wearing a mask, but the required caution of the current Covid era seemed to clash a little with the atmosphere of Freddy's. Which is to say, staff was working its butt off to adhere to precautions but I felt terrible for the effort it clearly took to control the flow of people ordering or just hanging around. They also do have people dining in their little sidewalk tent, but I wouldn't be comfortable being one of them, not least because of all the people who have to pass through to get to the shop. (Freddy's is still cash-only but that was to be expected.) In the end it didn't take much longer than usual, but big dude behind me sounded like he was about to bust a gasket at the additional inconvenience, however moderate and reasonable.

I don't know, I hope they find their rhythm, but it seems like a lot of work to square an idiosyncratic established internal system with a newly imposed external system.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more