LTH Home

Peking or Crispy Duck with pancakes in Chicago?

Peking or Crispy Duck with pancakes in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Peking or Crispy Duck with pancakes in Chicago?

Post #1 - October 8th, 2004, 12:41 pm
    Post #1 - October 8th, 2004, 12:41 pm Post #1 - October 8th, 2004, 12:41 pm
    I have looked everywhere! Does anybody know of a Restaurant that serves Crispy duck, with pancakes, plum of hosein sauce and spring onions?

Thanks in advance.
  • Post #2 - October 8th, 2004, 1:45 pm
    Post #2 - October 8th, 2004, 1:45 pm Post #2 - October 8th, 2004, 1:45 pm
    Right off the top of my head, I can name two places that I know for sure do this dish with the accoutrements you describe - Happy Chef in the Chinatown mall, and Silver Seafood on Broadway just north of Lawrence, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend these places above the other chinese options in Chicago - i can just say with confidence that they'll serve you the pancakes and the scallions and the heyheyhey. To be honest, you can probably get the dish in 75% of the restaurants in Chinatown. Where have you searched and failed to find peking duck?
  • Post #3 - October 8th, 2004, 2:09 pm
    Post #3 - October 8th, 2004, 2:09 pm Post #3 - October 8th, 2004, 2:09 pm
    If you use the lthforum search ,type Peking duck,search all terms and restrict to Eating out in Chicagoland,you get eight matches.And I think eatchicago mentioned Pineyard in Evanston.
  • Post #4 - October 8th, 2004, 2:28 pm
    Post #4 - October 8th, 2004, 2:28 pm Post #4 - October 8th, 2004, 2:28 pm
    hattyn wrote:If you use the lthforum search ,type Peking duck,search all terms and restrict to Eating out in Chicagoland,you get eight matches.And I think eatchicago mentioned Pineyard in Evanston.

Pine Yard in Evanston does not serve a Peking Duck, to my knowledge. The PY dish that I often praise is the Crispy Duck, which is a deep fried bird on the bone, quite a departure from traditional Peking Duck. There mere mention of this dish kicks my salivary glands into overdrive.

Pine Yard Crispy Duck on EatChicago.net

Pine Yard Restaurant
    1033 Davis St.
    Evanston
    847-475-4940

Best,
    EC
  • Post #5 - October 8th, 2004, 4:07 pm
    Post #5 - October 8th, 2004, 4:07 pm Post #5 - October 8th, 2004, 4:07 pm
    Moon Palace has Peking Duck without any notice required.

It is roasted and the sliced skin and chopped breast meat are rolled into a pancake with hoisin and green onions.

The legs and thighs sit on the plate waiting for gnawers.

It was very good, but at $27 I'm not sure if it was worth quite that much. I was hoping personally for a 2 or 3 course preparation, one skin roll course and one lettuce-wrap duck stir fry course, with an optional soup.

Ah well.

-ed

Moon Palace Restaurant
    (312) 225-4081
    216 W Cermak Rd
    Chicago, IL 60616
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #6 - October 10th, 2004, 2:26 am
    Post #6 - October 10th, 2004, 2:26 am Post #6 - October 10th, 2004, 2:26 am
    Click here for my post about two north suburban places, Tsang and Mandarin Village.
  • Post #7 - March 5th, 2006, 11:25 am
    Post #7 - March 5th, 2006, 11:25 am Post #7 - March 5th, 2006, 11:25 am
    HI,

I have a friend who is looking for the best Peking Duck in Chinatown. Specifically he is looking for Peking Duck served in three courses:

First course: Skin-only, no meat, served in a pancake with hoisin sauce and scallions

Second course: Duck meat is stir fried with vegetables, while I am aware of variants where the stir fry is eaten lettuce cups. If served with rice instead is ok.

Third course: Soup broth made from the carcass.

I had this style of dinner at Won Kow for my birthday some years ago. While I enjoyed it, I certainly cannot attest to it being the 'best' because I haven't tried Peking Duck anywhere else in Chicago (besides when I make it).

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #8 - March 5th, 2006, 12:58 pm
    Post #8 - March 5th, 2006, 12:58 pm Post #8 - March 5th, 2006, 12:58 pm
    Cathy,

I believe that Pheonix does duck in the way you describe. The first two steps for sure--though I am unsure about the soup portion of the meal. They do however have a good duck soup on the menu--which I always order when I go. Duck with dried scallops--is a rich ducky broth enriched with shards of dried scallop, duck meat, duck skin, ginger and shiitake mushrooms. With a small dollop of chili oil it's a quite a bowl of soup.

Stevez are you listening?

Anyway,I think Pheonix, is if nothing else, accomodating. I'm sure that if you requested a three course peking duck meal, they would happily oblige.

trixie-pea
  • Post #9 - March 5th, 2006, 3:44 pm
    Post #9 - March 5th, 2006, 3:44 pm Post #9 - March 5th, 2006, 3:44 pm
    I've had Peking Duck in three courses (no lettuce wrap for the duck meat) at House of Fortune, Seven Wives and the aforementioned Moon Palace. You just need to specify that you want it in three courses. House of Fortune and Seven Wives are both on Wentworth. I think Seven Wives required advance notice, while House of Fortune did not. [/i]
  • Post #10 - March 5th, 2006, 4:13 pm
    Post #10 - March 5th, 2006, 4:13 pm Post #10 - March 5th, 2006, 4:13 pm
    Moon Palace also does not require advanced notice, and you should specify three courses if you want it. I believe they did it all in one course the one time we ordered it, which was somewhat disappointing. Really, I'd recommend one of deesher's other suggestions, since Moon Palace has been disappointing me across the board, lately.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #11 - March 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm
    Post #11 - March 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm Post #11 - March 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm
    deesher,

Could you rank your Peking Duck experiences at those restaurants? I assume not all Peking Duck is the same, so I'd like to know your favorites.

Isn't House of Fortune next to Evergreen? I have heard good things about their Peking duck I believe from Shirley "The Hammer."

Evergreen Restaurant
    2411 South Wentworth Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-225-8898

House of Fortune
    2407 South Wentworth Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-225-0880

Moon Palace Restaurant
    216 West Cermak Road
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-225-4081

Phoenix Restaurant
    2131 South Archer Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-328-0848

I like the idea of the duck soup with the dried scallops.

Seven Wives Restaurant
    2230 South Wentworth Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-842-7888

Won KOW Restaurant
    2237 South Wentworth Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616
    312-842-7500

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #12 - March 5th, 2006, 8:25 pm
    Post #12 - March 5th, 2006, 8:25 pm Post #12 - March 5th, 2006, 8:25 pm
    I know it's not on the N side of Chicago,but Chin's in Arl Hts has a special menu.They serve Peking Duck.and killer Mai Tais/\^/8.
  • Post #13 - March 5th, 2006, 8:44 pm
    Post #13 - March 5th, 2006, 8:44 pm Post #13 - March 5th, 2006, 8:44 pm
    Grant,

We are looking for the best Peking Duck served in the traditional 3-courses, which means suggestions from the suburbs are as welcome as those from Chinatown.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - March 6th, 2006, 5:42 pm
    Post #14 - March 6th, 2006, 5:42 pm Post #14 - March 6th, 2006, 5:42 pm
    This brings back memories of one of the worst meals my family ever had in Hong Kong - a 7-course Peking Duck meal; Clearly they overstretched this poor bird. I can't even recall the entrees... It was duck and more of the same duck in different incarnations... reminded me of those stories re: the endless seafood soup stall where they just keep adding new seafood and ingredients to a continually boiling cauldron...
  • Post #15 - March 6th, 2006, 7:50 pm
    Post #15 - March 6th, 2006, 7:50 pm Post #15 - March 6th, 2006, 7:50 pm
    Cathy2,Chin's is closed on Mon so i'll call them Tue to find out about how many courses they serve their Peking Duck.This is not Alinea,it's Chin's.
  • Post #16 - March 6th, 2006, 10:52 pm
    Post #16 - March 6th, 2006, 10:52 pm Post #16 - March 6th, 2006, 10:52 pm
    HI,

I just came across Won Kow's menu, they offer Peking duck with 2 courses for $29.95 and 3 courses for $35.95.

They also have Americanized Chinese: Won Kow Pressed Duck, Chicken Almond Ding.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - March 6th, 2006, 11:39 pm
    Post #17 - March 6th, 2006, 11:39 pm Post #17 - March 6th, 2006, 11:39 pm
    Tein Li Chow in Evanston has a tasty Roast Duck and awesome Crispy Duck. They do have Moo Shu pancakes with plum sauce too.

http://teinlichow.com/
  • Post #18 - March 6th, 2006, 11:40 pm
    Post #18 - March 6th, 2006, 11:40 pm Post #18 - March 6th, 2006, 11:40 pm
    House of Fortune sells half orders of their Peking Duck. You have to ask for this since it is not on the menu.

Plus they deliver all the way up to River North for only a $4 fee.
  • Post #19 - March 7th, 2006, 10:53 am
    Post #19 - March 7th, 2006, 10:53 am Post #19 - March 7th, 2006, 10:53 am
    Cathy,

I did my Peking Duck exploration some time ago, so my response is not guaranteed to be accurate or up to date. The duck skin at all three establishments is very good, although the staff can be a bit heavy handed with the scallions and hoisin if you choose to let them roll your pancakes. The pancakes at Seven Wives were the best of the lot. The pancakes at Moon Palace and House of Fortune have more in common with tortillas.

The duck meat course is very good at Seven Wives and Moon Palace (a bit greasy here sometimes). The duck meat at House of Fortune was not as good.

The soup course at Moon Palace was the best of the three, followed by House of Fortune and Seven Wives.

I think I was charged $48 for the duck the last time I was at Moon Palace. They tend to be a bit heavy handed when pricing off menu or market price special items. I don't recall the cost at Seven Wives or House of Fortune, but I am pretty sure it was substantially less.

Regarding the dried scallop soup, Golden Bull on Cermak has a good version, as does Sun Wah Barbeque on Argyle. Sun Wah's soup includes bits of crispy duck. I find the soup benefits greatly from the addition of vinegar (which comes with ginger at Golden Bull).

Hope this helps some.
  • Post #20 - March 7th, 2006, 12:10 pm
    Post #20 - March 7th, 2006, 12:10 pm Post #20 - March 7th, 2006, 12:10 pm
    deesher,

Thanks for the run down. Did any serve the stir-fry course with lettuce? I think you answered that earlier, I 'm just double checking

Last night, I was putting away menus when I found one from Phoenix. Their Peking Duck is served in two courses for $36. They allow you to choose your second course either shredded or lettuce wrap.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - November 8th, 2007, 2:39 pm
    Post #21 - November 8th, 2007, 2:39 pm Post #21 - November 8th, 2007, 2:39 pm
    My husband and I just got back from a week in London. We had the pleasure of dining at The Crispy Duck in Soho. We enjoyed it very much and in particular LOVED the Crispy Duck dish. I am looking for this dish in Chicago, and of course am looking for the best version.

I believe the dish may be called Peking Duck here. The dish I had is shredded duck meat, hoisin sauce, pancakes and scallions. We put together our own pancakes, but I have heard of places that put them together for you.

I know some restaurants may require advance notice, and hubby and I are hoping to have the duck for dinner tomorrow night.

Many thanks for your help!
  • Post #22 - November 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm
    Post #22 - November 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm Post #22 - November 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm
    BBQ King in Chinatown should give you a decent version of it (minus the server making the pancaked-style for you).

For overall atomsphere, service, etc., Phoenix (also in Chinatown) does the version where they'll shred it tableside and make the pancake version for you (at least that's what we got last time when I went with a few co-workers who are not exactly into the hole-in-the-wall Chinatown experrience). There was a place out in the northwest suburb that also does the tableside pancake style (I can't remember the name), I tried it once, and the duck was completely dried up and came with un-crispy skin (the horror!)....someone on the board might remember the name.
  • Post #23 - November 8th, 2007, 2:48 pm
    Post #23 - November 8th, 2007, 2:48 pm Post #23 - November 8th, 2007, 2:48 pm
    Search and you can stand on the shoulders of giants.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... eking+duck

Silver Seafood is a good North Side option for the whole 3-course deal. Any number of good Chinese BBQ places in Chinatown and on/around Argyle have duck with crispy skin, though the prep might not be true "Peking" style, with the ballooning of the skin, etc.
  • Post #24 - November 8th, 2007, 2:59 pm
    Post #24 - November 8th, 2007, 2:59 pm Post #24 - November 8th, 2007, 2:59 pm
    Though not the full-on traditional
    presentation, the Duck Three-Way/
    Bento Box served at Opera
    is very good. The highlight of the three,
    IMO, though, was the noodle dish -
    kind of a Duck Paad Seew.
  • Post #25 - November 8th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    Post #25 - November 8th, 2007, 3:09 pm Post #25 - November 8th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    I second Opera for a non-traditional take on the dish in a beautiful space.
  • Post #26 - November 8th, 2007, 3:32 pm
    Post #26 - November 8th, 2007, 3:32 pm Post #26 - November 8th, 2007, 3:32 pm
    Santander wrote:I second Opera for a non-traditional take on the dish in a beautiful space.

Yes! Very non-traditional, but a good dish in its own right. You can get the noodle portion with a really respectable heat level if you ask.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #27 - November 8th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Post #27 - November 8th, 2007, 4:12 pm Post #27 - November 8th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Hole in the wall is fine. The restaurant we went to was certainly nothing fancy. I have no qualms about putting my own pancakes together either, which is what we did there.

Just looking purely for taste and for this one dish, not neccessarily the whole Peking duck experience.

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.
  • Post #28 - November 8th, 2007, 9:47 pm
    Post #28 - November 8th, 2007, 9:47 pm Post #28 - November 8th, 2007, 9:47 pm
    Often times while going to college in Madison in the early 80's, we would order Chinese takeout that included a dish called "Pressed Duck" that was sort of a shredded duck that was pressed back together, fried and cut into cubes and sauced. Anyone ever hear of this or see it served around Chicago? It was quite tasty and this thread brought back memories.
    ...Pedro
  • Post #29 - November 8th, 2007, 9:53 pm
    Post #29 - November 8th, 2007, 9:53 pm Post #29 - November 8th, 2007, 9:53 pm
    YoYoPedro wrote:Often times while going to college in Madison in the early 80's, we would order Chinese takeout that included a dish called "Pressed Duck" that was sort of a shredded duck that was pressed back together, fried and cut into cubes and sauced. Anyone ever hear of this or see it served around Chicago? It was quite tasty and this thread brought back memories.

Kow Kow and Won Kow have pressed duck (I think), and you should also check out this previous thread.

edited to change Won Kow to add Kow Kow
    Last edited by gleam on November 9th, 2007, 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #30 - November 8th, 2007, 11:23 pm
    Post #30 - November 8th, 2007, 11:23 pm Post #30 - November 8th, 2007, 11:23 pm
    YoYoPedro wrote:Often times while going to college in Madison in the early 80's, we would order Chinese takeout that included a dish called "Pressed Duck" that was sort of a shredded duck that was pressed back together, fried and cut into cubes and sauced. Anyone ever hear of this or see it served around Chicago? It was quite tasty and this thread brought back memories.

This is an old school dish usually consisting of duck meat pressed into a cake with water chestnut flour and deep fried , served n a brown sauce usually with lettuce. Often listed on menus as "Almond Pressed Duck". Once a staple of American/"Jewish" Chinese restaurants, it's now harder to find (probably because it takes extra time to prepare). New China on Dempster in Skokie still has it on the menu, so does Far East on Diversey (both were pretty good last time I had them) . My favorite version was at the long gone Wing Yee on Clark St. which was actually known for that dish. Orange garden and possibly even Won Kow in Chinatown may have it as well.

Though not at all the same thing the "duck with taro" at Silver seafood (and Emperors Choice) may scratch the itch if you can't find the exact dish
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide