LTH Home

Quest for the 30s-style burger

Quest for the 30s-style burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - August 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm
    Post #61 - August 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm Post #61 - August 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm
    Mike G wrote:Ursiform, here's a similar visit to Kewpie and Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee you might enjoy.

Oh my, Mike, that link makes me want to jump into my car and head for Racine RIGHT NOW! It also made me very, very hungry. :)
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #62 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:04 pm
    Post #62 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:04 pm Post #62 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:04 pm
    Double Cheese Burger - 9/22/08 4:22pm
    Dairy Queen, Wilmette
    $2.19

• Post #63 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:48 pm
    Post #63 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:48 pm Post #63 - September 22nd, 2008, 5:48 pm
    iblock9 wrote:Double Cheese Burger - 9/22/08 4:22pm
    Dairy Queen, Wilmette
    $2.19

LOL, we used to refer to those burgers at 'elephant scabs' back in high school.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #64 - January 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm
    Post #64 - January 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm Post #64 - January 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm
    Does anyone remember Pepper's? It was a burger joint in the loop on Van Buren next door to Cal's Liquors that I used to go for lunch when I worked downtown years ago. I don't know if they still exist, but they made my favorite "30s-style burger". Chopped raw onions, pickles, mustard, steamy bun. Super-greasy and delicious! Btw, this is my first post, I've been lurking for a bit but love the site! Thanks.
  • Post #65 - January 6th, 2009, 10:30 pm
    Post #65 - January 6th, 2009, 10:30 pm Post #65 - January 6th, 2009, 10:30 pm
    I was just at Bill's the other day and recalling the incident in which they questioned me about taking pictures of their building. And as it happens, on Lynn Becker's architecture blog, I just saw the relevant statute (he quoted it in reference to the Marina City complex, the condo association of which is trying, entirely spuriously, to claim control over any images of):

USCA Title 17, Sec. 120(a) specifically reads:
    (a) Pictorial Representations Permitted.— The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs, or other pictorial representations of the work, if the building in which the work is embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

So next time you get questioned about taking pictures of a hamburger stand, yell "I'm in compliance with USCA Title 17, Section 120(a)!"
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #66 - January 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm
    Post #66 - January 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm Post #66 - January 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm
    Peppers remains, albeit sans signage. It's the same as you remember.
  • Post #67 - January 12th, 2009, 10:54 am
    Post #67 - January 12th, 2009, 10:54 am Post #67 - January 12th, 2009, 10:54 am
    In the city proper, my father always told me that the burgers at the diner grill on Irving Park near Ashland were the way he liked them in the 30's. I know they haven't changed since I was a kid in the 70's. I just found a place in LaGrange called Highland Queen. Similar old school style (as long as you don't get the larger patty size). The beef was not the highest quality, but the overall mouth feel was still really good. By the way, this is my first post ever. Thanks for having me.
  • Post #68 - January 13th, 2009, 5:13 am
    Post #68 - January 13th, 2009, 5:13 am Post #68 - January 13th, 2009, 5:13 am
    Schoop's Micky
    Munster, IN Version

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #69 - August 17th, 2009, 11:06 am
    Post #69 - August 17th, 2009, 11:06 am Post #69 - August 17th, 2009, 11:06 am
    Davooda wrote:Decatur, IL has a place that offers the quintessential '30's-style burger that you seek. It is known as Krekel's Custard (because they also offer frozen custard and shakes made with same that are delicious). Namesake Bill Krekel passed away a feew years back but his progeny are running the place like he did. Krekel's popularized the "Chicken-Car" of central Illinois lore. He bought some Cadillac Fleetwoods and mounted fiberglass chicken heads and tails on them and painted them like Old Glory. Way ahead of his time in the marketing area...

The meat is sourced locally, ground fresh daily and never frozen. Pickles are sliced lengthwise, not a coin shape, which thrills me to no end. They are grilled to order and have that crispy, nearly burnt edge to them. Burgers are tightly wrapped in a waxy white paper and stuffed into a brown paper sack for carryout. When a little grease finds its way to the brown paper sack bottom you know you've gotten their best effort. There are several locations, including Springfield I think, but this is the original and still the best IMHO:

Krekel's Custard
    801 E Wood St
    Decatur, IL
    217-429-1122

We stopped at the original Wood Street location of Krekel's and I have to say I was impressed.

I'm not sure where you can find a better burger at the price. A single is $1.40; the picture below shows a double (a nice meat:bun ratio). The burger is wonderfully juicy but also has great crispy edges.

Some bad news for Davooda: it seems they've given up the longitudinal pickle slicing style. Even with the pickle coins I thought it was a pretty special fast food burger.

Acting on a hot tip, we made the drive to Mount Zion for a chance to see the chicken car. We were not disappointed, as the striped and feathered Caddy was parked outside. We didn't expect the bonus of seeing the Krekel's bull wearing a red bib and what looks like red lipstick.

Yes, Krekel's Caddy and Harold's Lincoln do look awfully similar. Originally Krekel's sold only burgers (plus custard etc) but after many requests from people who visited because of the chickenmobile, they added a chicken sandwich to the menu.

We were disappointed with the burger, not in the same league as the one at the original location. It lacked the beautiful juicy/crispy contrast that makes Krekel's burgers so special. It almost tasted like it had been prepared long before.

Krekel's Kustard
    801 E Wood St
    Decatur IL
    217-429-1122

Krekel's Mount Zion
    1340 N State Highway 121
    Mount Zion IL
    217-864-5725
  • Post #70 - August 18th, 2009, 8:03 am
    Post #70 - August 18th, 2009, 8:03 am Post #70 - August 18th, 2009, 8:03 am
    My brother and I went to Dairy Queen in Wilmette last night. I had a couple of double hamburgers, he had a triple. We both liked them, but I've had better. I have to say that DQ has really fallen off the radar for me. Their ice cream, even in sundaes or other concoctions doesn't taste that good anymore to me. I think once I had frozen custard, that was it for most soft serve! :)
  • Post #71 - August 23rd, 2009, 4:27 pm
    Post #71 - August 23rd, 2009, 4:27 pm Post #71 - August 23rd, 2009, 4:27 pm
    It looks as though I have found my favorite 30's style burger in Chicagoland. Coincidentally enough its also from a Dairy Queen but not the one next to Loyola Academy. I mentioned up-thread that I'm a big fan of the 30's style burgers that are unique to the DQ on Lake ave in Wilmette. Unique in that they arent like any other DQ's burgers and def. not the same garbage burgers served at most DQ chains. I grew up on them and still think that they are good but agree they have fallen off. So then today I was driving down Devon in Park Ridge when at a red light I pulled up beside this.

Definitely not a newly built DQ, this one looks old school

So I pulled a left and just like the old time one in Wilmette they have a small but effective little parking lot and not just burgers but dogs, fishwich, nuggets, fries etc..The menu for the food had a Vienna Beef logo so I assume they use their products. I ordered a double cheese with mustard, onions and pickles and watched the guy in the back steam my bun and cook some thin pattys on a flattop for a couple minutes aside and dress it up perfectly. I must say it was a great example with the steamed bun, melted cheese and perfect blend of toppings and the best burger I ever had for under $3 and it was just over two dollars.

The man making the burgers looked so familiar that Im thinking maybe he also owns the lake ave location which would explain why this one is so much like the other. Although they prep the pattys a little diffeent maybe that's due to space constraints. I'm also guessing they too close for winter so if your in the area give it a try before they close if your near the area. They pack quite alot of flavor for being such a little treat. The only thing missing was the butcher paper, these came in the silver wrapping material. Krekel's location in Sprinfield is still the best I have had but these were very good.

Double Cheese

great example of this style

Krekel's (Springfield, IL) Double cheese

Dairy Queen of Park Ridge
    2 Devon Ave
    Park Ridge, IL 60068-5510
    (847) 698-4790

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close