LTH Home

The Perfect Bite

The Perfect Bite
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Perfect Bite

Post #1 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:48 pm
    Post #1 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:48 pm Post #1 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:48 pm
    Hi to everyone. I love this forum. I've been skulking around for months, and finally have decided on a question worthy of all of your expertise. My approach to eating is different from most. I had DS weight loss surgery about 6 years ago (lost 140 lbs) but as with most things in life, there is a price to pay. I can't eat very much at one sitting. The upside is that I pretty much eat all the time! When I approach food, I look for that perfect full flavored bite, because I'm only good for about a dozen bites. If I'm eating out then I'm also interested in how well the food packs up and tastes the next day . I'm a cheap date, but that is another story! :oops: Alas, I live in the sticks (out towards DeKalb) but I will faithfully copy down your suggestions for the rare time I do get into Chicago. Thanks to all of you who take part in this forum. You all seem to be a good hearted cheery group, and you never fail to make me smile when I log on!
  • Post #2 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:58 pm
    Post #2 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:58 pm Post #2 - January 3rd, 2008, 4:58 pm
    Welcome to LTHForum! Skulk no more and post of your experiences...

Although you're asking for bite-sized suggestions, you'll probably get better feedback if you mention what type of food you like/seek, or dislike/avoid. You can't go wrong starting with LTH's Great Neighborhood Restaurants.

Again...welcome. Linger, learn, post.
  • Post #3 - January 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm
    Post #3 - January 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm Post #3 - January 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm
    A recommendation from someone in a similar situation was recently posted here.
  • Post #4 - January 3rd, 2008, 6:35 pm
    Post #4 - January 3rd, 2008, 6:35 pm Post #4 - January 3rd, 2008, 6:35 pm
    Several Thai places offer an appetizer called "one-bite salad." Usually a combination of toasted coconut, lime, peanut, dried shrimp, onion, hot pepper, ginger and/or garlic on a lettuce leaf. Here is Manee Thai's version, photo courtesy of G Wiv:

I've also tried versions at Spoon Thai, Thai Pastry, PS Bangkok, and Ruby of Siam. To my palate, this little gem is the "perfect bite" when properly executed.
  • Post #5 - January 4th, 2008, 9:40 am
    Post #5 - January 4th, 2008, 9:40 am Post #5 - January 4th, 2008, 9:40 am
    ohhh...I'm so excited. Someone posted a reply...and I even got a photo! I want to eat that! I love all sorts of food. I do lean towards something lighter, which to me means not much pasta or rice. Let me give you an example of the most powerful bite I've had recently. For New Years I roasted a boneless rib roast...rare. After I feasted, I love the fat in the meat, I got my $15 Walmart meat slicer out and shaved up the rest into beautiful rare beef rounds. Later on (when I got hungry again) I took a bottle of Merlot (I don't much care for the taste of the stuff) so I threw it into a pot and reduced it to about 1/4. Then I sauted onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. I added it to the wine and cooked it until it was very soft. I then pureed the mixture and sieved it. This made a tremendously flavorful sauce. Next I took five or six pieces of the beef and poached them gently in the sauce. The combination of the rare roast beef and flavorful sauce literally made my eyes roll up. That is what I'm looking for in food. If I have to keep eating something to truly appreciate a flavor, it is not going to happen for me. The flavor has to be upfront and intense. So if any of you have any more ideas let me know. And as you might be able to tell from this post, I am not opposed to cooking for myself. So if you have some home cooking ideas I'd love those as well. Thanks!
  • Post #6 - January 4th, 2008, 10:22 am
    Post #6 - January 4th, 2008, 10:22 am Post #6 - January 4th, 2008, 10:22 am
    My first thought would be to start searching for, and trying some meat in mole preparations if you haven't already. I might look into Frontera grill or Sol De Mexico. I do make moles at home as well. I'm also a big fan of Fronteras hand with just about any of their dishes - apps or mains with SAUCES on them. I really think they come up with some flavorful sauces.

On the cheap, I also think that you might do VERY well at one of the better taquerias if you're ever far enough east to try them. Admittedly, however, I am not sure if there are any good ones in your area.

Carniceria Leon for an al pastor and carne asada taco, squeeze of lime, salsa, onion, cilantro on each. I'll bet - no, I absolutely KNOW, that there are some mouths watering reading this. Simple, but bursting with flavor.
    I'm not talking about the crappy run of the mill taco joints that litter the Chicagoland area and that the drunk late nighters go to. There are a few (and VERY few indeed) taquerias that do food right. Leon is one of them. Char grilled skirt steak tacos. When done correctly, one of the best small food delights for the price that absolutely screams flavors if you ask me.

Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente (Used to be Caniceria Leon - sorry)
    1400 N Ashland
    Chicago, IL
    773-772-9804

For steak tacos, my all time favorite is:
    Las Asadas
    2072 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 235-5538
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #7 - January 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm
    Post #7 - January 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm Post #7 - January 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm
    The first thing that I thought of
    was Soup Dumplings.

In a similar vein, I came across
    this thread:
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=84509
    making reference to a veal shank
    with bone marrow ravioli recipe.

The other day I had a really
    good appetizer/amuse bouche
    of Sweet Potato Gnocchi with