LTH Home

Lettuce Entertain You

Lettuce Entertain You
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 13th, 2021, 4:57 am
    Post #61 - October 13th, 2021, 4:57 am Post #61 - October 13th, 2021, 4:57 am
    With all due respect to the vintage-iconic RJ Grunt's and Fritz That's It in days of yore, I've always thought that Mon Ami Gabi was the theme-based star in the LEYE stable.

Spent so much time at the MAG in Vegas at the Paris, with the outdoor patio possibly the best people-watching spot on the Strip. I had read at some point that it was per capita per square foot the highest-grossing of all the Melman restaurants.

And quality just kicks a** there. Salads, hanger steak, frites. The French onion soup...I spent 4 days in Paris trying to order something as good as MAG's, and failed. Authentic, who cares? It's magical. Recently, I've dined at the Bethesda, MD location--as good as Vegas, or Oak Brook.

It's gotta be mall & office economics. And LEYE does not dally--something looks like it may not work in the future, they pull the plug like an iron lung.
  • Post #62 - October 13th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Post #62 - October 13th, 2021, 8:27 am Post #62 - October 13th, 2021, 8:27 am
    jnm123 wrote:something looks like it may not work in the future, they pull the plug like an iron lung.

Who pulls the plug on an iron lung??? :shock:

:lol:
  • Post #63 - October 13th, 2021, 8:33 am
    Post #63 - October 13th, 2021, 8:33 am Post #63 - October 13th, 2021, 8:33 am
    Hi,

A friend in the last month visited the MAG in Oak Brook and was disappointed by the food. I don't know the particulars, just that they were not thrilled. It could be they were having problems there.

I was at Oak Brook for a funeral lunch in August. It was not easy finding parking for two reasons: a number of spots were reserved for those picking up, and all other parking spaces were filled. Parking was just as dense at noon as it was at 2:30 pm when I left.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #64 - November 7th, 2021, 3:00 pm
    Post #64 - November 7th, 2021, 3:00 pm Post #64 - November 7th, 2021, 3:00 pm
    We visited RJ Grunts prior to our first in person music in nearly two years on Friday(Todd Snider and Steve Poltz at Park West).
    Not at all anxious to return.

The famous salad bar is now a digital salad bar (select items with your phone) and does not appear to be an option as a side (I don't remember if it was previously) only as a $17 entree with upcharge for proteins.

Fish and chips, if ordered as is, says comes with cottage fries but it's actually potato chips. Fries are a $1 upcharge and were limp and barely hot. Chocolate shake was really really late and was more like melted chocolate ice cream. Service in general was awful.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #65 - November 8th, 2021, 8:28 am
    Post #65 - November 8th, 2021, 8:28 am Post #65 - November 8th, 2021, 8:28 am
    Merle and I had dinner with a friend last night outside at L. Woods. Plenty of propane heaters cranking away on a somewhat balmy evening.

Fish and chips for me. Cheeseburger for Merle. Brisket sandwich and french onion soup for our friend. Food was fine. Service was good considering every joint is short staffed.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #66 - November 8th, 2021, 8:35 am
    Post #66 - November 8th, 2021, 8:35 am Post #66 - November 8th, 2021, 8:35 am
    That's probably a topic in itself. In a dining world where it's just assumed that everybody is short-staffed, who does the best job of persevering?

Doesn't surprise me that L. Woods shone through. Their waitstaff is veteran, no fly-by-nights in the bunch. I have a bunch of friends that live in that area that frequent L. Woods because of its consistency throughout the pandemic.

And...my daughter & in-laws dined at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda, MD Saturday night. Same thing. Veteran, knowledgeable waitstaff & kitchen, and even if they were short on help, it didn't show. Good as ever.
  • Post #67 - November 11th, 2021, 7:28 am
    Post #67 - November 11th, 2021, 7:28 am Post #67 - November 11th, 2021, 7:28 am
    Hi,

When Kelly Cheng spoke about Sun Wah BBQ during the pandemic, she commented about doing everything she could to keep their staff involved and safe.

They may not have needed waitstaff, but they brought them in to take orders, pack food, then Kelly and Laura interacted with the public.

If the dooh dooh had really hit the wall financially, they were prepared to alter the use permit on their building to allow apartments upstairs. They would sell their homes, move into those apartments and do everything to keep Sun Wah BBQ going.

The payback is very little loss in employees and the ability to carry on.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #68 - November 11th, 2021, 11:56 am
    Post #68 - November 11th, 2021, 11:56 am Post #68 - November 11th, 2021, 11:56 am
    We dined at Antico Posto last week, as a teen's birthday request (I think she mostly wanted to go to the mall), and there was a ton wrong with the night that seemed to have little to do with the pandemic. For example, we had made (and confirmed) the reservation for 5, but still had to wait for a table, and even then, there were only 4 place settings, and after promised a fifth we had to ask again when the server came by to take our orders. An appetizer came our almost immediately, but a good 10+ minutes before we got our (not complicated) drinks from the bar, and when the food arrived it was remarkably mediocre. Not that I expected the best of the best, but we'd had a good meal here before and were disappointed the food wasn't any better than or even on par with our closest standard red sauce places (or, in the case of my incredibly dense cavatteli, much worse). I know times are tough and staff stretched thin, but the place was pretty packed and busy, so you'd think they'd at least have the basics down first before going full steam ahead. Based on this thread, apparently it's a problem with at least a few of their places.
  • Post #69 - November 11th, 2021, 12:46 pm
    Post #69 - November 11th, 2021, 12:46 pm Post #69 - November 11th, 2021, 12:46 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:When Kelly Cheng spoke about Sun Wah BBQ during the pandemic, she commented about doing everything she could to keep their staff involved and safe.

With 6 failed health inspections since 2010, including failing to maintain proper meat temperatures, live roaches on the floor inside the restaurant, rodent infestations, and more, it's a shame that Sun Wah doesn't put as much effort into keeping their patrons safe.

No idea why LTHers still patronize such a place given its abysmal sanitary record, but it's not at all relevant to LEYE or this thread.
  • Post #70 - November 11th, 2021, 1:36 pm
    Post #70 - November 11th, 2021, 1:36 pm Post #70 - November 11th, 2021, 1:36 pm
    LVGamer wrote:No idea why LTHers still patronize such a place given its abysmal sanitary record, but it's not at all relevant to LEYE or this thread.

Hell yeah! I’m still stinging from the Black Sox Scandal in the 1919 World Series.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #71 - November 12th, 2021, 6:57 am
    Post #71 - November 12th, 2021, 6:57 am Post #71 - November 12th, 2021, 6:57 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    LVGamer wrote:No idea why LTHers still patronize such a place given its abysmal sanitary record, but it's not at all relevant to LEYE or this thread.

Hell yeah! I’m still stinging from the Black Sox Scandal in the 1919 World Series.

Sun Wah has great food, but this is one of the worst analogies I have read in a long time. Comparing an event from 100+ years ago to a recurring issue that includes another failure less than four months ago?? At the same location run by the same people?? I get that you are pals, and you seem like a good dude, but GWiv's analogy...not a fan!! :-)
  • Post #72 - November 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm
    Post #72 - November 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm Post #72 - November 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm
    Not sure how, A., Sun Wah has anything to do with this thread on LEYE, or B., how criticizing the restaurant’s continued failures to adhere to basic public health standards is analogous to a cheating scandal 102 years ago.
  • Post #73 - July 21st, 2022, 9:04 pm
    Post #73 - July 21st, 2022, 9:04 pm Post #73 - July 21st, 2022, 9:04 pm
    back in the office in Schaumburg once in awhile, stopped by Big Bowl with a co-worker for lunch.

If I do go I normally get their Kung Pao chicken, decent flavor.

Chicken potstickers were forgettable as a starter.

A special of walleye with veggies in red curry caught my eye. The veggies were not cooked fresh and the curry had no punch at all, actually more like curry water. However the piece of walleye was big & cooked/grilled perfectly, simply delicious.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #74 - July 24th, 2022, 3:11 pm
    Post #74 - July 24th, 2022, 3:11 pm Post #74 - July 24th, 2022, 3:11 pm
    i made my first visit to saranello's in wheeling today. some friends and i went for their sunday brunch buffet. i'm generally lukewarm about buffets; i'm not one of those who eats enormous quantities just because i can and i usually find the quality inferior. today, i had a very pleasant time. the food was fine- nothing special stood out except the tiny ramekin of creme brulee on the otherwise lackluster dessert buffet. but they had a decent selection of charcuterie, and tiny cheddar bisquits with sausage gravy (which i never resist). the applewood bacon was excellent; the plump breakfast sausages were good. i stayed away from the custom egg station as well as the steak and turkey stations. i found the caesar salad looked great (lots of parmeson slivers) but the dressing underseasoned. there were plenty of staffers available; the room itself was very attractive and the noise level not too loud, even as the room filled up. if i ever went back (and i'd consider it), it would be for the pleasant ambience and knowing that i'd have plenty of choices without feeling completely overwhelmed by too many....
  • Post #75 - August 12th, 2022, 5:53 am
    Post #75 - August 12th, 2022, 5:53 am Post #75 - August 12th, 2022, 5:53 am
    Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Chicago’s largest restaurant group, is planning to open a new restaurant inside the 167 Green office building at 167 N. Green Street

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/6/14/231 ... ttractions
  • Post #76 - October 6th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    Post #76 - October 6th, 2022, 4:04 pm Post #76 - October 6th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    Lettuce Entertain You reveals plans for two restaurants at St. Regis Chicago. The St. Regis Chicago hotel will host two restaurants from chefs Hisanobu Osaka and Evan Funke.
    https://apple.news/AUolrgWW3THenK5SwnDr14g
  • Post #77 - October 10th, 2022, 11:49 am
    Post #77 - October 10th, 2022, 11:49 am Post #77 - October 10th, 2022, 11:49 am
    A Tale of Two Shaw's

Went last month to Shaw's downtown on a Sat night as it was within walking distance of our hotel and after the spa services we just had, too easy to get into at 9pm at night.
    Soups, oysters, Caribbean Stone Crabs were all on point. (explained to me that Caribbean stone crabs are the same as FL, just different geography. All I know is that they were some of the most delicious stone crab claws we had all year)

Went recently to Shaw's Schaumburg, raw oysters were delicious but lobster roll sandwich and soups didn't have much pop. Went on a Sun evening.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #78 - October 14th, 2022, 8:53 pm
    Post #78 - October 14th, 2022, 8:53 pm Post #78 - October 14th, 2022, 8:53 pm
    Maggiano's Little Italy to Leave Lettuce Entertain You Frequent Diner Club.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/m ... aq_eml_shr
  • Post #79 - October 15th, 2022, 5:14 am
    Post #79 - October 15th, 2022, 5:14 am Post #79 - October 15th, 2022, 5:14 am
    Dave148 wrote:Maggiano's Little Italy to Leave Lettuce Entertain You Frequent Diner Club.

No great loss. Not a star of the LEYE stable by any means. Pasta servings of 1 pound...more is not better in this case.

On another LEYE note...has anyone dined recently at Tokio Pub in Schaumburg? Daughter is considering it for her wedding reception.
  • Post #80 - October 15th, 2022, 7:48 am
    Post #80 - October 15th, 2022, 7:48 am Post #80 - October 15th, 2022, 7:48 am
    jnm123 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Maggiano's Little Italy to Leave Lettuce Entertain You Frequent Diner Club.
    No great loss. Not a star of the LEYE stable by any means. Pasta servings of 1 pound...more is not better in this case.

On another LEYE note...has anyone dined recently at Tokio Pub in Schaumburg? Daughter is considering it for her wedding reception.
    They're running a promotion of 15% off $1,000 in LEYE gift cards this month for any diehard customers or those considering a large party such as that. Re Maggiano's, the gift cards can still be redeemed there, in spite of the rewards change.
  • Post #81 - October 15th, 2022, 8:30 am
    Post #81 - October 15th, 2022, 8:30 am Post #81 - October 15th, 2022, 8:30 am
    Per Lettuce email I received... Gift Cards will no longer be accepted
    effective April 16, 2023
  • Post #82 - October 17th, 2022, 7:07 am
    Post #82 - October 17th, 2022, 7:07 am Post #82 - October 17th, 2022, 7:07 am
    jnm123 wrote:

Maggianos has been nothing but average for a while now. The last several times I have been there it has been completely underwhelming. They have changed the menu multiple times over the last few years, removed some of the favorites, and as you say, seem to be trying to make up for the mediocrity by offering you larger portions. That, and the buy 1 take one home for $5 or whatever the promotion is now. It's like the old comedy routine about "sorry, we burned your fries, but we gave you extra to compensate".

Maybe it's a false memory, but thinking of the Maggianos of "old" and the food they delivered in terms of quality and variety and comparing it to the current iteration you would have a hard time if you didn't know one had its roots in the other.

Funny, over the weekend I ran out to the Oak Brook Maggianos to get some LEYE gift cards, and was told "sorry, we are out of them, go next door to Beatrix they have plenty". I had no idea they were pulling out.
  • Post #83 - December 8th, 2022, 8:32 pm
    Post #83 - December 8th, 2022, 8:32 pm Post #83 - December 8th, 2022, 8:32 pm
    Lettuce Entertain You Will Bring Ramen-San and Sushi-San to Lincoln Park

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/12/8/235 ... ncoln-park
  • Post #84 - December 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm
    Post #84 - December 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm Post #84 - December 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm
    I remember when my friends and family went to Maggiano's in Old Orchard all the time back in the 90's when it seemed like everyone was going there.

I'm a big fan of Mon Ami Gabi and I was sad to hear Oakbrook closed. I keep hoping they'd consider the north suburbs but it hasn't happened.
  • Post #85 - December 9th, 2022, 6:25 am
    Post #85 - December 9th, 2022, 6:25 am Post #85 - December 9th, 2022, 6:25 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Lettuce Entertain You Will Bring Ramen-San and Sushi-San to Lincoln Park

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/12/8/235 ... ncoln-park

I've stopped by the Sushi-San at Willis Tower a couple of times and it's pretty underwhelming. Their prices are pretty high for what you get and it's certainly not exceptional product.
  • Post #86 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am
    Post #86 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am Post #86 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am
    i hadn't been to a LEY restaurant in years; though i used to love some of them. but for thanksgiving this year i went to Wildfire with my family. aside from the staff shortages (i was told they had only 1 bartender on duty that day and the place is enormous), the family style dinner really rocked. while it took forever to get water or a cocktail, the main meal came all at once and was fantastic. we had moist turkey, stuffing, beautifully rare beef tenderloin, decadent creamed spinach and rich red skinned mashed potatoes. there was a really sweet but irresistible maple pecan pie and an ok door county cherry pie for dessert. while i don't love large auditorium-like restaurants i'd definitely give Wildfire another whirl come thanksgiving next year....
  • Post #87 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am
    Post #87 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am Post #87 - December 9th, 2022, 9:51 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:I've stopped by the Sushi-San at Willis Tower a couple of times and it's pretty underwhelming. Their prices are pretty high for what you get and it's certainly not exceptional product.

I would say the pricing is in line with the other vendors there. Sushi-San at SearsWillisTower is one of my regular stops when I'm in the office. The spicy tofu and edamame hummus are tasty and make a decent, not crazy expensive lunch. The lunch options in that area are dwindling. Dos Toros left the Chicago market. Potbelly doesn't do individual salads anymore. But hey, there's a Sbarro in Union Station now!
    -Mary
  • Post #88 - December 12th, 2022, 6:08 pm
    Post #88 - December 12th, 2022, 6:08 pm Post #88 - December 12th, 2022, 6:08 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:A Tale of Two Shaw's

Funny, I too ate at both Shaw's recently - a weekday lunch in Schaumburg and another downtown. Both were outstanding! My main in Schaumburg was their "pot of mussels", which were as good as any I've ever had, particularly due to the wonderful cream-based broth. (This dish is not available downtown.) Downtown I had Chilean sea bass, which was also excellent.
  • Post #89 - December 12th, 2022, 7:00 pm
    Post #89 - December 12th, 2022, 7:00 pm Post #89 - December 12th, 2022, 7:00 pm
    The GP wrote:I would say the pricing is in line with the other vendors there.

Maybe so, but $12 for underwhelming maki is offensive. You can get a meal from Brown Bag, a few steps away, for a couple of dollars more.
  • Post #90 - March 1st, 2023, 6:53 am
    Post #90 - March 1st, 2023, 6:53 am Post #90 - March 1st, 2023, 6:53 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Chicago’s largest restaurant group, is planning to open a new restaurant inside the 167 Green office building at 167 N. Green Street

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/6/14/231 ... ttractions

Fulton Market Meets California Wine Country For Lettuce Entertain You’s Latest

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/2/28/236 ... ton-market

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more