LTH Home

Psistaria Restaurant on Touhy

Psistaria Restaurant on Touhy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - December 16th, 2014, 11:24 am
    Post #91 - December 16th, 2014, 11:24 am Post #91 - December 16th, 2014, 11:24 am
    Hit it out of the park again: I was invited to pick a place to dine with some folks from one of our company's partners (and they were nice enough to invite SueF along), and Psistaria was terrific: we hit some different meze to accommodate a gluten-free diner: beets, grilled calamari, dolmades,and skordalia (after checking that it was indeed potatoes and not bread-based), and were getting pretty full before the mains even came out -- I love their avgolemono soup, but the tomato salads a couple folks had were huge and luscious-looking. I hadn't had the gyros before, but with Ronnie's endorsement, had to try them in a combo with spanakotiropia: excellent, full of the crispness that so many fast-food places skimp on. SueF's Lamb Fricase came out somewhat later, but had spoon-tender lamb with more avgolemono sauce and vegetables.

We left stuffed, with leftovers for lunches (we'd have taken the travelers' leftovers too, but our fridge is overflowing right now).
    Warm friendly service (even if they do tend to bump you as they pass -- they're movin' out there!), great food.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #92 - December 16th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    Post #92 - December 16th, 2014, 12:01 pm Post #92 - December 16th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    JoelF wrote:Hit it out of the park again: I was invited to pick a place to dine with some folks from one of our company's partners (and they were nice enough to invite SueF along), and Psistaria was terrific: we hit some different meze to accommodate a gluten-free diner: beets, grilled calamari, dolmades,and skordalia (after checking that it was indeed potatoes and not bread-based), and were getting pretty full before the mains even came out -- I love their avgolemono soup, but the tomato salads a couple folks had were huge and luscious-looking. I hadn't had the gyros before, but with Ronnie's endorsement, had to try them in a combo with spanakotiropia: excellent, full of the crispness that so many fast-food places skimp on. SueF's Lamb Fricase came out somewhat later, but had spoon-tender lamb with more avgolemono sauce and vegetables.

We left stuffed, with leftovers for lunches (we'd have taken the travelers' leftovers too, but our fridge is overflowing right now).
    Warm friendly service (even if they do tend to bump you as they pass -- they're movin' out there!), great food.

Even if it wasn't a GRCTSH (Greek restaurant closest to Spiny's House) it would be very high on my list. I now only go to Greektown if I'm meeting someone in the area.
  • Post #93 - December 24th, 2014, 11:36 am
    Post #93 - December 24th, 2014, 11:36 am Post #93 - December 24th, 2014, 11:36 am
    I hate there earlier this year - they were busy - but had plenty of wait staff. I've never had a more hostile experience from a waiter. He was openly insulted by my wife's aunt asking what was in the Seafood Gumbo (answered with the utmost contempt "It's seafood gumbo - it has seafood in it - what do you expect?") Dinner continued like this and at the end he refused to believe us when we pointed out there were fewer lids than carry-out containers (like we were hiding them or something? We even checked to make sure there weren't any stuck together).

While the food was excellent - I won't return to a restaurant that hires staff that treats customers that way.
  • Post #94 - December 25th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    Post #94 - December 25th, 2014, 3:47 pm Post #94 - December 25th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    I have only eaten there twice, the most recent time this last Monday with my daughter. Avgolemono soup, Psistaria combo platter (leg of lamb, pastitsio, moussaka, dolmades, etc.) were outstanding. But the highlights were the horta (dandelion greens) in olive oil & garlic, and those sweet peas in a light tomato sauce pictured by Ronnie above. I think next time I am going to do cocktails, appetizers and vegetables, a meze type thing.

The waiters are Greek, knowledgeable, and maybe with a small attitude in my two visits. But I didn't find them surly or rude in the least. To me, it was more joking than anything else.
  • Post #95 - May 27th, 2015, 3:11 pm
    Post #95 - May 27th, 2015, 3:11 pm Post #95 - May 27th, 2015, 3:11 pm
    Mr. X and I had a late lunch at Psistaria on Memorial Day. Avgolemeno soup for him, navy bean soup for me, split the hot appetizer combo (included keftaidakia, loukaniko sausage, spanakopitakia, cheese pie and two mini-kebobs) and the Shrimp Tourkolimano (jumbo shrimp baked with crumbled feta and tomato sauce served over a bed of rice). Only weak point of the meal were the kebobs. They were pretty dry. Service was efficient and friendly. I know we'll be back.
    -Mary
  • Post #96 - May 27th, 2015, 3:54 pm
    Post #96 - May 27th, 2015, 3:54 pm Post #96 - May 27th, 2015, 3:54 pm
    The GP wrote:Mr. X and I had a late lunch at Psistaria on Memorial Day. Avgolemeno soup for him, navy bean soup for me, split the hot appetizer combo (included keftaidakia, loukaniko sausage, spanakopitakia, cheese pie and two mini-kebobs) and the Shrimp Tourkolimano (jumbo shrimp baked with crumbled feta and tomato sauce served over a bed of rice). Only weak point of the meal were the kebobs. They were pretty dry. Service was efficient and friendly. I know we'll be back.

I have yet to learn from my mistakes and not order an entree (or at least ease up on the appetizers). I tend to overorder because I pretty much like everything so when the entree comes it goes straight into a container to take home. I also have a weakness for good Greek bread and their fruity olive oil is also delicious. I'm glad we rediscovered Psistaria (after having given up on the previous owners).
  • Post #97 - May 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Post #97 - May 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm Post #97 - May 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Wow! It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since the last post but I was concerned that the silence might be construed as negative, so I wanted to make sure to dissolve that notion. I continue to eat here and/or carry out a couple of times a month and it just keeps chugging along. If possible, I think Psistaria actually continues to improve over the consistently high bar they'd already set for themselves.

Today we had a 6-top for a biz lunch (with a visitor from India) and the food was impressive. A mess of meze (grilled octopus, skordalia, beets, fried zucchini, spanakopita and saganaki) were all sensational. Tuesday Lentil Soup was as great as ever and my Pashalini salad, topped with crispy-juicy gyros meat, was out of this world.

Service was also notably awesome. Our visitor repeatedly commented on this and he was 100% correct. They just do everything they can here to make your meal a pleasant one. They constantly check on you, fill beverages before they're empty and even ask about timing delivery of the courses, etc.

Sometimes, amidst all the excitement of new places continually opening, we neglect to post about our favorite places; the ones we happily patronize on a regular basis. At the risk of repeating things I've probably posted upthread, I wanted to stop by and make it clear that Psistaria is still great - possibly better than ever . . . and for my money, has pretty much obsoleted Greektown for good.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #98 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Post #98 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:17 pm Post #98 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:17 pm
    I like this place a lot. Not sure if it's been noted, but one of the things I like best is they have incredibly good prices for wine, including wines by the glass. You can drink very well for under $7 per glass. There is about no food that I want to drink more wine with than Greek food, and sans BYO*, Psistaria makes it about the easiest.

*Still not happy that Boston Fish changed their policy :cry:
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #99 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:29 pm
    Post #99 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:29 pm Post #99 - May 2nd, 2017, 4:29 pm
    Vital Information wrote:one of the things I like best is they have incredibly good prices for wine

Yeah, we had a bottle there a couple weeks ago that was very nice and only $35. In fact, we had two bottles. :)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #100 - December 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm
    Post #100 - December 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm Post #100 - December 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm
    A choice between going nowhere on the Edens or going nowhere over a bowl of avgolemono was no choice at all, and the inertia was well-rewarded. Pashalini salad was bursting with fresh dill when Greektown has become dried-or-nothing. The little pork skewers appetizer is a perfect portion of charred deliciousness with tangy tzatziki, and you essentially get your choice of starches given the oregano-dusted grilled bread offering that comes gratis even before the fresh pita. Service was attentive to a fault. Psistaria has my endorsement as place of good holiday cheer - also Kabobi on Kedzie - much appreciated hearths of meatly wonder.
  • Post #101 - February 15th, 2020, 7:26 pm
    Post #101 - February 15th, 2020, 7:26 pm Post #101 - February 15th, 2020, 7:26 pm
    PSA = closed until 2/22 for remodeling.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #102 - February 24th, 2020, 12:30 pm
    Post #102 - February 24th, 2020, 12:30 pm Post #102 - February 24th, 2020, 12:30 pm
    Dave148 wrote:PSA = closed until 2/22 for remodeling.

Per an outgoing vm at Psistaria, their re-opening has been pushed back to Monday March 2.

=R=
  • Post #103 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:19 am
    Post #103 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:19 am Post #103 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:19 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:PSA = closed until 2/22 for remodeling.

Per an outgoing vm at Psistaria, their re-opening has been pushed back to Monday March 2.

I'm not sure if they've re-opened yet. Calls are going directly to a voicemail box that's full. I haven't had a chance to swing by and check it out in person.

=R=
  • Post #104 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:27 am
    Post #104 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:27 am Post #104 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:27 am
    Per my drive-by earlier this morning, still closed for remodeling. Lots of construction equipment in the parking lot.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #105 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:36 am
    Post #105 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:36 am Post #105 - March 3rd, 2020, 11:36 am
    Dave148 wrote:Per my drive-by earlier this morning, still closed for remodeling. Lots of construction equipment in the parking lot.

Thanks, for the info. We've really had to dig deep to make up for their absence. I've even brown-bagged it a few times! :shock:

=R=
  • Post #106 - March 3rd, 2020, 1:26 pm
    Post #106 - March 3rd, 2020, 1:26 pm Post #106 - March 3rd, 2020, 1:26 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:We've really had to dig deep to make up for their absence. I've even brown-bagged it a few times! :shock:

=R=

Somebody, call social services!
  • Post #107 - March 3rd, 2020, 4:05 pm
    Post #107 - March 3rd, 2020, 4:05 pm Post #107 - March 3rd, 2020, 4:05 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:We've really had to dig deep to make up for their absence. I've even brown-bagged it a few times! :shock:

=R=

Somebody, call social services!

LOL - the way I cook, probably better to call poison control! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #108 - March 7th, 2020, 6:24 pm
    Post #108 - March 7th, 2020, 6:24 pm Post #108 - March 7th, 2020, 6:24 pm
    A text from a friend informed me that Psistaria has reopened.

=R=
  • Post #109 - March 8th, 2020, 10:09 am
    Post #109 - March 8th, 2020, 10:09 am Post #109 - March 8th, 2020, 10:09 am
    Horta (dandelion greens) and fasolakia (Greek green beans) are calling my name!!
  • Post #110 - March 8th, 2020, 10:23 am
    Post #110 - March 8th, 2020, 10:23 am Post #110 - March 8th, 2020, 10:23 am
    jnm123 wrote:Horta (dandelion greens)

I remember when Monica Eng highlighted this for her cheap eats column. She ordered it by phone, then came by to pick it up. They did not begin to make it until she arrived, because they wanted it taste its best.

This has stuck in my head ever since. I think about it every time I pass, too.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #111 - March 8th, 2020, 10:29 am
    Post #111 - March 8th, 2020, 10:29 am Post #111 - March 8th, 2020, 10:29 am
    Cathy2 wrote:They did not begin to make it until she arrived, because they wanted it taste its best.

Isn’t the reason we call ahead because we don’t want to wait?

We also realize that it’s going to not taste it’s best by the time we get to our destination?

If we wanted it to taste it’s best we would eat at the restaurant.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #112 - March 8th, 2020, 11:43 am
    Post #112 - March 8th, 2020, 11:43 am Post #112 - March 8th, 2020, 11:43 am
    I am currently waiting for my carry-out taramosalata in the new and improved waiting area. It's about double the size of the old entryway and much less of a bottle neck. The bar area is also less cramped. The remodel looks really nice. I wasn't able to call my order in because the phones were busy, and they are currently ringing off the hook, so either keep trying or order to-go in person and enjoy the expanded waiting area.
  • Post #113 - March 8th, 2020, 11:58 am
    Post #113 - March 8th, 2020, 11:58 am Post #113 - March 8th, 2020, 11:58 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:They did not begin to make it until she arrived, because they wanted it taste its best.

Isn’t the reason we call ahead because we don’t want to wait?

We also realize that it’s going to not taste it’s best by the time we get to our destination?

If we wanted it to taste it’s best we would eat at the restaurant.

Sure, she seemed charmed. I think she may have eaten it in her car.

Everybody makes their choices, good, bad or indifferent.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #114 - June 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm
    Post #114 - June 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm Post #114 - June 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm
    I drove past Psistaria Restaurant on my way to Walmart today, and I noticed that they have a large tent set up for outdoor dining. It looked that they were busy.
  • Post #115 - July 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm
    Post #115 - July 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm Post #115 - July 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm
    Yesterday, I made my second visit here in the post-COVID-19 world, and have to say, I was truly satisfied with a really good meal.

I have been buying two entrees when I visit places for take out now, so I get a 'leftover' dinner. I am getting lazy in my hermitage! I splurged for moussaka and an order of pork kabobs, and had half of each order for dinner. Standard avgolemono (for lunch today) and vegetables were my side dish choices for both entrees.

I commend Psistaria for keeping the take-out kabobs tender and juicy. Seasoning was not overly aggressive, so I used a bit of lemon juice to perk the order up, and they were very good. But the highlight was the moussaka, which was just great. There was a perfect balance between the eggplant, bechamel, and spiced ground meat, and absolutely not a hint of excess oil. This is arguably better than any moussaka I've ever had in Greektown, and that probably includes almost every restaurant there. I am a complete fan of this moussaka.

Portion sizes were great, not excessive, but filling. My only quibble; I absolutely adore the spanakorizo, (spinach rice), which is one of the greatest and tastiest side dishes ever, and they just didn't have any last night. If I could change one thing at Psistaria, I would make certain that they had the spanakorizo available every night!

But to quote G Wiv, "count me a fan!"
  • Post #116 - September 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm
    Post #116 - September 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm Post #116 - September 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm
    Psistaria has sacrificed half their parking for a nice, will-spaced tent, where we met Greek friends from Indiana. We were quite happy with the service and food.
    Hot appetizer assortment set the stage: spinach and cheese pies, chicken and pork kabobs, loukaniko, all great. SueF had the lamb riblets, a bargain for a lot of lamby goodness. I had a combo of more of the sausage and moussaka, both great. And their side of okra was just amazing: Rich, sticky, garlicky, umami.
    Yes Plateia has grown in my opinion, but Psistaria is still the best.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #117 - July 9th, 2021, 9:52 am
    Post #117 - July 9th, 2021, 9:52 am Post #117 - July 9th, 2021, 9:52 am
    Just discovered on the website:

To our valued customers:
    Due to the shortage in staff during and following the pandemic, we have made the difficult decision to CLOSE on Mondays effective July 5, 2021 until further notice.
    Please understand that this decision was made to allow our current staff to have a day off and to provide you with an overall better experience in our establishment.
    Thank you,
    The Bournas and Psistaria Family

HOURS
    Sunday: 11:00am – 9:00pm
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 11:00am – 9:00pm
    Wednesday: 11:00am – 9:00pm
    Thursday: 11:00am – 9:00pm
    Friday: 11:00am – 10:00pm
    Saturday: 11:00am – 10:00pm
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more