LTH Home

Attempting to find something to eat in Portage Park

Attempting to find something to eat in Portage Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 27th, 2013, 7:03 am
    Post #31 - April 27th, 2013, 7:03 am Post #31 - April 27th, 2013, 7:03 am
    becwells wrote:What about Hagen's Fish Market? We drove by it the other day and it looks kind of cute and kitchsy, but you never know with places like that...

Hagen's is a palace of deep fried goodness. Tons of LTH love - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3245&hilit=hagen%27s
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #32 - May 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm
    Post #32 - May 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm Post #32 - May 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm
    I am looking for anyplace with food and libations (or BYOB/corkage) that might welcome a party of 10 hungry musicians at 10 PM on a Friday after a concert at the Copernicus Foundation - Jefferson / Portage Park vicinity. I've already called Smak-Tak and Theresa II to see if they'd stay open late - no dice. Polish, Russian, or Central European theme / offerings a plus, but we'd take anything. Thanks for any thoughts!
  • Post #33 - May 2nd, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Post #33 - May 2nd, 2013, 5:44 pm Post #33 - May 2nd, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Seems like The Portage (being basically a bar with good food) might have a kitchen that's open that late. I'd call them, anyway.
  • Post #34 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 pm
    Post #34 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 pm Post #34 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 pm
    What about the place at Central and Montrose? I can't remember the name but it got good reviews on here. I think it used to be called Supercup and now its a new place.
    The clown is down!
  • Post #35 - May 4th, 2013, 11:38 am
    Post #35 - May 4th, 2013, 11:38 am Post #35 - May 4th, 2013, 11:38 am
    Thanks! A few of us ended up at Gale Street Inn for the meal and The Portage for drinks, both very good. Gale Street's candied ribs are just about best of breed in that style, and the au gratin potatoes and even the salad with balsamic and crusty bread were rich and fresh. Ginger brews (Dark and Stormy and Moscow Mule, in ideal mugware) hit the spot.
  • Post #36 - May 5th, 2013, 3:01 pm
    Post #36 - May 5th, 2013, 3:01 pm Post #36 - May 5th, 2013, 3:01 pm
    Never been, but on the top of my list of all time favorite restaurant names is Ewok cafe on Irving Park. I giggle uncontrollably every time we drive by.
    LO
  • Post #37 - May 22nd, 2013, 9:44 am
    Post #37 - May 22nd, 2013, 9:44 am Post #37 - May 22nd, 2013, 9:44 am
    LO wrote:Never been, but on the top of my list of all time favorite restaurant names is Ewok cafe on Irving Park. I giggle uncontrollably every time we drive by.
    LO

Do not. Repeat, DO NOT eat at E-wok. Horrible little joint that has passed hands multiple times in the last 3 years. It's nasty, the place is just not clean, and the food is consistently awful.
  • Post #38 - May 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am
    Post #38 - May 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am Post #38 - May 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am
    becwells wrote:Our little family will be moving to Portage Park in June, right around Montrose and Central Ave. We're moving from Logan Square, where we have our pick of awesome restaurants and we know we're in for quite the change in our new 'hood. Obviously we'll be out exploring once we get there, but I wanted to check with you awesome LTH-ers for your recommendations before we start wandering aimlessly.

Some of our general likes:
    - we eat mostly vegetarian
    - when we do eat meat, we only eat locally sourced, sustainably raised products
    - we eat out a lot -- about 3-4 times a week
    - even though we have a 2 year old, we frequent places like Longman & Eagle, Lula, Revolution, etc. Pretty much anyplace that has a highchair we'll go to, even if it's more "high-end"

Thanks for your suggestions!

Welcome to the neighborhood! My wife and I have been living in Portage Park for the last 13 years, so we've tried quite a few places in the area, and seen some places come and go, and others inexplicably continue to thrive... :twisted:

So here's the rundown, in no particular order:
    • Hagen's: Yes. (Good fresh seafood, and they will smoke whole fish for you, and they have the best fried shrimp on the NW side) Eat here alot, and also stop by to grab fresh seafood for the house. The In-laws insist on eating from there every time they visit.
    • The Portage: Right around the corner from my house, I spent way too much time in this place for the first year it was open. Really well done place, good service and while the chef has changed several times in the first couple of years, the food is definitely of a consistently high quality. Spend less time there now, as I have kind of burned myself out on it. Uses alot of locally raised produce and meat
    • Taqueria Amigo Chino: Despite the fact that the food has never been better than mediocre, and has been absolutely awful at times, this place continues to have lines out the door. I don't get it. It's not good, but it's busy. Pass this place and keep walking west on Irving Park to
    • Las Tarascas: Small, but quaint interior and very good Baja-style Mexican food. Better than your average burrito joint.
    • Trattoria Porretta: Great place for pizza/pasta delivery. The food is quite tasty, but do not make the mistake of trying to eat at the restaurant. The service has always been the absolute pits for about 10 years. They honestly don't seem to give a crap whether you enjoy your visit, however, their thin-crust is my favorite in Chicago.
    • Kowloon Chinese: Delivery chinese. Some of the best mongolian beef I've had, and the Ye Hing Triple Mushroom is flippin' awesome. Best crab rangoons ever. Delivery only.
    • Zebda: Wonderful Mediterranean food delivery that we just discovered recently while renovating our kitchen. Holy crap is the food good. Sauces and dips were wonderful, the falafel is awesome (Better than Pita Inn, and that's saying something) and the kebabs were freaking awesome
    • Leadbelly: Recently opened burger and beer joint. Just tried it out and it was perhaps the best burger I've had in Chicago. Burgers are large but not massive, and meaty and juicy, not greasy. Homemade condiments, and house-made pretzel rolls, and a good selection of craft beers and rock-and-roll music make it hard to not love this joint. Trying to figure out when we can squeeze in another trip for another burger
    • Sutherlands: Neighborhood sports bar that serves food. I have not been, but reliable sources lead me to believe it's a decent neighborhood bar, with a bunch of TVs for sports, and decent food. Atmosphere is fun and friendly and service is good by all accounts.
    • Six-Penny Bit: Doesn't serve food, but it is a lovely little neighborhood Irish bar, friendly and welcoming.
    • Pete's Pizza #2: Great deep dish pie

Further east on Irving Park is Sabatino's, which has a sterling reputation here on LTH, and I wholeheartedly agree with the community on this matter. It's tacky and tired interiors just add to the kitschy atmosphere and huge helpings of delicious Italian-American food. Even further east is Al Dente which is a good BYOB joint with delicious Mexican-Italian fusion food.

For groceries I recommend A&G Fresh Market at Belmont and Central, huge produce section, good selection, remarkable ethnic foods sections, great deli and good prices. Much better than the typical Jewel store.
  • Post #39 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:14 pm
    Post #39 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:14 pm Post #39 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:14 pm
    We'll have to disagree about Amigo Chino. Their steak tacos are pretty bland but the al pastor is some of the best I have ever had. Chicharron is also tasty. Their steak dinners are a fantastic deal and super beefy flavor.
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #40 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm
    Post #40 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm Post #40 - May 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm
    Octarine wrote:We'll have to disagree about Amigo Chino. Their steak tacos are pretty bland but the al pastor is some of the best I have ever had. Chicharron is also tasty. Their steak dinners are a fantastic deal and super beefy flavor.

Good chiliquiles, too.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #41 - May 23rd, 2013, 6:28 am
    Post #41 - May 23rd, 2013, 6:28 am Post #41 - May 23rd, 2013, 6:28 am
    chicagovol wrote:Welcome to the neighborhood! My wife and I have been living in Portage Park for the last 13 years, so we've tried quite a few places in the area, and seen some places come and go, and others inexplicably continue to thrive... :twisted:

Nice line up.

The Portage: I am neutral on The Portage, though my wife likes going with her girlfriends, nice outdoor eating area.
    Taqueria Amigo Chino: I'm a fan, comically large portions, good chiliquiles and al pastor as Steve and Octarine mention, and inexpensive.
    Sutherlands: Main reason I am posting in response to this is to reinforce what you have heard about Sutherlands, its a friendly neighborhood place with surprisingly good bar food. Not dolled up bar food, but straight-up wings, burgers etc. Burger beef is house-ground, they know what med-rare means and have tater tots.
    Al Dente. Terrific little BYOB that does not get enough love, LTH or otherwise.
    Sabatino's: A long time favorite and one of the few places in my advancing age and general grumpiness I am able to achive full-on suspension of disbelief and completely ignore shortcomings, especially when I've just slipped the strolling musicians a five to play It Had to be You, which never ceases to make my bride smile and look at me fondly.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #42 - November 16th, 2022, 9:05 am
    Post #42 - November 16th, 2022, 9:05 am Post #42 - November 16th, 2022, 9:05 am
    Copernicus Center ping time. Been a while.

I'm gonna be a solo diner. My first thought was Smak - Tak, but...I'm trying to stay lower carb. It's still do-able with sausage/kraut, but checking for other quality options in the area for a solo dude that likes dives. Gale Street is not up my alley unless someone I'm with likes it. Amigo Chino sounds very lukewarmish, but tacos are always welcome - (GOOD) steak and fried fish tacos are a weakness if anyone has a joint near-ish. I'll have a car. I truly eat everything, but ethnic dives are always much appreciated. I'll start sniffing around for reviews and stuff in the area, but checking here for leads.

Any intel on Hala Inn, Tlayudas Oaxacan, Earl's BBQ?

Great Sea and Kebabi are on my radar, too.

ETA: Hagen's just may have vaulted to the top of the list, but their online menu doesn't show fried ersters anymore!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #43 - November 16th, 2022, 10:44 am
    Post #43 - November 16th, 2022, 10:44 am Post #43 - November 16th, 2022, 10:44 am
    seebee wrote:Copernicus Center ping time. Been a while.

I'm gonna be a solo diner. My first thought was Smak - Tak, but...I'm trying to stay lower carb. It's still do-able with sausage/kraut, but checking for other quality options in the area for a solo dude that likes dives. Gale Street is not up my alley unless someone I'm with likes it. Amigo Chino sounds very lukewarmish, but tacos are always welcome - (GOOD) steak and fried fish tacos are a weakness if anyone has a joint near-ish. I'll have a car. I truly eat everything, but ethnic dives are always much appreciated. I'll start sniffing around for reviews and stuff in the area, but checking here for leads.

Great Sea and Kebabi are on my radar, too.

ETA: Hagen's just may have vaulted to the top of the list, but their online menu doesn't show fried ersters anymore!

GWiv recently posted about Community Tavern here.
    -Mary
  • Post #44 - November 16th, 2022, 11:13 am
    Post #44 - November 16th, 2022, 11:13 am Post #44 - November 16th, 2022, 11:13 am
    El Asadero Columbiano is only a couple blocks away and seems to fit your specs.

4800 N Central
    https://elasaderocolombiano.com
  • Post #45 - November 16th, 2022, 11:26 am
    Post #45 - November 16th, 2022, 11:26 am Post #45 - November 16th, 2022, 11:26 am
    bweiny wrote:El Asadero Columbiano is only a couple blocks away and seems to fit your specs.

4800 N Central

Don't think for a second I haven't already looked it up and thought about trying a half rotisserie rabbit dinner. Is this a place you like?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #46 - November 16th, 2022, 12:16 pm
    Post #46 - November 16th, 2022, 12:16 pm Post #46 - November 16th, 2022, 12:16 pm
    seebee wrote:
    bweiny wrote:El Asadero Columbiano is only a couple blocks away and seems to fit your specs.

4800 N Central
    Don't think for a second I haven't already looked it up and thought about trying a half rotisserie rabbit dinner. Is this a place you like?
    Only had the chicken once. It would definitely be in my rotation if I lived closer. I guess the fact I'm not willing to go more out of my way says something, but it's close to very good, at least.
  • Post #47 - November 18th, 2022, 4:54 pm
    Post #47 - November 18th, 2022, 4:54 pm Post #47 - November 18th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Don't know how far you're willing to drive but here are some places south of Portage Park on Addison:

Cuban Joint - Double steak sandwich w cheese, $8.75, & cafe Cubano, $2.
    Cafe Marianao
    4323 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60641
    (773) 993-0178

6401 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60634
    (773) 657-3128

El Taco Feliz Taqueria - My neighborhood al pastor go-to but it doesn't have any seating inside, if needed for your immediate solo dining needs. I can't remember if there is a counter to eat over. It does offer outdoor dining in good weather. $9.50+tax Al Pastor Burrito .
    El Taco Feliz Taqueria
    5439 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60641
    (773) 283-4377

Bluebird - Sandwiches & burgers. Newish 2nd location.
    3938 N Central Ave
    Chicago, IL 60634
    773-993-0453
    https://www.bluebirdportagepark.com/menu

Earl's intel - Fully capable of good BBQ but it fell out of my rotation due to inconsistency. I usually order a 2 meat combo of brisket and rib tips. When they're on, for me, the brisket is a toss up if it's in the league of Smoque and the tips are the best in the rib-tip desert on the NW side. On the best visits, the sliced brisket has a good bark, is *juicy, pull-apart tender, and a nice smoke ring while the rib tips are tender, well-smoked, and meaty. The tips come sauce on the side. I've also had experiences when the tips were hacked to death, brisket overcooked & dry, times when the tips were essentially pork jerky. Jerky is delicious, don't get me wrong. Four different sauces available and I prefer the original sauce over the others. However, I normally don't use any sauce on their brisket or tips. Sides - Hand cut fries are my +1. I find the Mac & cheese bland. Inside, they have picnic tables to eat at while a drive thru is also available.

Taqueria Amigo Chino #1 @ Irving Park & Central
    They padded the bill on my last visit and I haven't been back. It's too bad too since their al pastor taco $1.90 cash special (May '22) during the week was a good, cheap al pastor taco in Portage Park. FYI-The parking lot across the street has an attendant to boot cars immediately if you leave the property.
    "And if you don't know, now you know." -BIG

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more