LTH Home

Joong Boo Cafe [Chicago Food Corp] Hot²

Joong Boo Cafe [Chicago Food Corp] Hot²
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - April 15th, 2014, 6:41 am
    Post #31 - April 15th, 2014, 6:41 am Post #31 - April 15th, 2014, 6:41 am
    I was impressed with my first visit to Joong Boo Wang Mandoo, the little dumpling hut outside the market's entrance. They offer three varieties of freshly-made stuffed buns, served warm from the steamer. It's a flat $2 for each plump dumpling.

I liked all three but particularly enjoyed the football-shaped dumpling with its kicky kimchee/pork filling. The less spicy pork/vegetable filling in the round pinched bun is far from boring though. Prettiest is the speckled purplish spheroid, made with black rice, holding mildly sweet red bean paste with a pleasantly chunky texture. One must be a real bean lover to tackle a whole mandoo—mine weighed in at well over half a pound. A possible criticism of these dumplings is they're overstuffed, but that doesn't bother me too much.

A short Joong Boo Wang Mandoo thread can be found here.

Joong Boo Wang Mandoo
    3333 N Kimball Av
    Chicago
    Market Phone: 773-478-5566
    Dumpling Hours: 10am-8pm
  • Post #32 - April 15th, 2014, 7:53 am
    Post #32 - April 15th, 2014, 7:53 am Post #32 - April 15th, 2014, 7:53 am
    Hi,

Heading north on the Kennedy exiting at Kimball, you can easily see this dumpling shack from the exit ramp.

I will echo Rene G's comments, these are substantial buns for $2 each.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - April 15th, 2014, 11:26 am
    Post #33 - April 15th, 2014, 11:26 am Post #33 - April 15th, 2014, 11:26 am
    I haven't yet had the sweet bean one, but the other two are very tasty indeed.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #34 - April 17th, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Post #34 - April 17th, 2014, 12:18 pm Post #34 - April 17th, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Joong Boo is a frequent stop for me to pick up hot pot ingredients and cheap kitchen utensils but I had never tried the steamed bun stand. $2 is indeed a good price as one of these buns is almost the size of my fist. One bun is enough for a reasonable meal, which is why I got two. I don't like it when steamed buns are too pillowy or doughy, like the generic charsiubao you find at some bakeries in Chinatown, but with the Joong Boo buns the well-steamed dough was just thin enough, with a nice stretchy outer skin. A pork bun in one hand and a kimchi bun in the other is a good combo if you alternate bites: savory and juicy, then hot and garlicky.
  • Post #35 - December 28th, 2017, 11:52 am
    Post #35 - December 28th, 2017, 11:52 am Post #35 - December 28th, 2017, 11:52 am
    Joong Boo market is now open in Glenview. Long line in the street of cars waiting to get into the parking lot, so I couldn’t check it out.

Joong Boo Cafe
    670 Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview
  • Post #36 - December 29th, 2017, 10:09 pm
    Post #36 - December 29th, 2017, 10:09 pm Post #36 - December 29th, 2017, 10:09 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Joong Boo market is now open in Glenview. Long line in the street of cars waiting to get into the parking lot, so I couldn’t check it out.

Joong Boo Cafe
    670 Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview

Not quite as crowded on day 2. The cafe is upstairs, and it's easy to miss the alcove with the stairs and elevator (not far from the entrance). The cafe has seating for I'd estimate 300. There are two stands: dumplings and cafe. The kimchi dumping at $2.50 (one of three varieties at that price along with something that's 4 for $6, but not listed on the English menu) is indeed a wonderful bargain. If they do anticipate filling those tables lunchtime will be crazy.

Less impressed with the store. No where near the variety (especially for non Korean goods) of Assi but more than the baby H-Mart at Milwaukee and Sanders. Some really good looking beef, fish counter was unremarkable, produce not very exciting.

But I'll certainly be back for the dumplings
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #37 - December 30th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    Post #37 - December 30th, 2017, 12:38 pm Post #37 - December 30th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    JoelF wrote:There are two stands: dumplings and cafe. The kimchi dumping at $2.50 (one of three varieties at that price along with something that's 4 for $6, but not listed on the English menu) is indeed a wonderful bargain.

I'm guessing the Korean says 새우&고기만두 and 새우&김치고기만두 as it does at the original Joong Boo in Chicago. That's shrimp & pork dumplings and shrimp & kimchi pork dumplings. These are smaller, thinner-skinned dumplings, not made with leavened dough like the wang mandoo. The Chicago price is 4 for $5 (the three varieties of wang mandoo are $2 each), at least as of my last dumpling run in October.
  • Post #38 - December 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm
    Post #38 - December 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm Post #38 - December 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm
    Hi,

Attempted to have lunch at the Glenview location today, but the food court is closed for repairs.

Dropped back into the car to have lunch at So Gong Dong Tofu.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #39 - January 13th, 2018, 5:21 pm
    Post #39 - January 13th, 2018, 5:21 pm Post #39 - January 13th, 2018, 5:21 pm
    Stopped by the Chicago location today and was not surprised to find the dumplings are just as good as ever. They've gone up in price by 25%, but $2.50 for each of those mammoth balls of goodness is still quite fair.
  • Post #40 - January 16th, 2018, 8:32 am
    Post #40 - January 16th, 2018, 8:32 am Post #40 - January 16th, 2018, 8:32 am
    Does anyone know if the Glenview location offers sashimi platters (that the Chicago location does)?
  • Post #41 - January 16th, 2018, 8:45 am
    Post #41 - January 16th, 2018, 8:45 am Post #41 - January 16th, 2018, 8:45 am
    foodie1 wrote:Does anyone know if the Glenview location offers sashimi platters (that the Chicago location does)?

There's a couple photos on Yelp of sashimi offerings. There appears to be a $45 platter w/ salmon, tuna, and 3 other types (red snapper, mackerel, ??), and smaller $25 sets in different packaging.
  • Post #42 - January 16th, 2018, 10:32 am
    Post #42 - January 16th, 2018, 10:32 am Post #42 - January 16th, 2018, 10:32 am
    bweiny wrote:
    foodie1 wrote:Does anyone know if the Glenview location offers sashimi platters (that the Chicago location does)?

There's a couple photos on Yelp of sashimi offerings. There appears to be a $45 platter w/ salmon, tuna, and 3 other types (red snapper, mackerel, ??), and smaller $25 sets in different packaging.

Thank you! :)
  • Post #43 - January 16th, 2018, 6:52 pm
    Post #43 - January 16th, 2018, 6:52 pm Post #43 - January 16th, 2018, 6:52 pm
    Lunch counter Jong Boo, Kimball.
    JoongBooLTH4.jpg Ra Bok Kee #8 = snowy blowy counter lunch. Liberal dusting of hot pepper powder.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #44 - April 28th, 2018, 10:48 pm
    Post #44 - April 28th, 2018, 10:48 pm Post #44 - April 28th, 2018, 10:48 pm
    Hi,

Visited the Joong Boo Food Court in Glenview this evening. Entrance to the elevator alcove is now directly from the outside, you cannot enter via the grocery store. It appears to be related to a fire code.

They are now offering dining out on the roof deck, which will be great with the warmer temperatures on Monday.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #45 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am
    Post #45 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am Post #45 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am
    I'm hot on the trail of Joong Boo Glenview. I work in Mt Prospect a few days per month, and gathered some lunch mates to give it a whirl a few weeks ago. Everyone agreed after a few bites, that we need to try everything on the menu. Issue is that we're not much schooled in Korean menus outside of standards. We tried:

Spicy Beef Soup - loved it.
    Squid Soup - loved it
    Grilled Beef - decent
    Those wings at the ordering counter were fantastic - They could be about 3 times spicier, and a touch less sweet, but they weren't overly sweet at all. Loved em!
    Pork Dumplings at the dumplings stand were "ok." They could have been far worse, I guess, They weren't bad at all, just not exciting in any way.

So, I know Chap Chae is the stir fried noodles.
    Soon Tofu is spicy tofu soup?
    Bi Bim Bap is the Rice with kitchen sink mix ins dish

Little help here?
    What else do they do well?
    http://joongboomarket.com/our-food/snack-corner/

I used to shop at the one on Kimball almost every week, but rarely ate at the little cafe. I luuurve Korean BBQ, but really only get the standards to share - Kahlbi, Chap Chae, Bi Bim Bap. Need to branch out and figure out what Joong Boo does well.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #46 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:48 am
    Post #46 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:48 am Post #46 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:48 am
    seebee wrote:Little help here?
    What else do they do well?
    http://joongboomarket.com/our-food/snack-corner/

I used to shop at the one on Kimball almost every week, but rarely ate at the little cafe. I luuurve Korean BBQ, but really only get the standards to share - Kahlbi, Chap Chae, Bi Bim Bap. Need to branch out and figure out what Joong Boo does well.

Personally I'm a fan of their ddukbokki (rice cake and fish cake in spicy sauce) and kimbap (Korean futo-maki); though I haven't really had anything there that I wouldn't order again if I was in the mood for it.
  • Post #47 - May 23rd, 2018, 10:45 pm
    Post #47 - May 23rd, 2018, 10:45 pm Post #47 - May 23rd, 2018, 10:45 pm
    I've only seen the wings at the Glenview cafe once, after I'd finished eating dumplings.

Two new things there:
    1) the dumpling counter had fried shrimp and squid. But it's cold, and the squid is large, tough tentacles.
    2) alongside the condiments they now have banchan: napa, cubed radish, cucumber with wheat gluten?, shredded radish, oshinko (sweet radish slices). Not permitted for carry out, but can turn a $2.50 king dumpling into a meal.
    Last edited by JoelF on May 24th, 2018, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #48 - May 24th, 2018, 5:10 am
    Post #48 - May 24th, 2018, 5:10 am Post #48 - May 24th, 2018, 5:10 am
    I'll second the ddukbokki, and sometimes I get the raebokki (basically the same as ddukbokki, but with noodles added). I'm not super schooled in Korean food either, but ddukbokki is probably my favorite favorite dish.

I will say though, it's best enjoyed when it's freezing cold out and you need something to warm your bones...So you may want to squeeze it in before these 90 degree days start taking over.
  • Post #49 - May 24th, 2018, 7:10 am
    Post #49 - May 24th, 2018, 7:10 am Post #49 - May 24th, 2018, 7:10 am
    Everything I've had at joong boo on Kimball has been generally good.

Id avoid the ramen and oden as those are probably the 2 easiest things to make at home. Looked like the ramen is a dolled up version of a Korean instant ramen. And the oden you can easily make using the stuff from the frozen aisle.
  • Post #50 - May 24th, 2018, 7:25 am
    Post #50 - May 24th, 2018, 7:25 am Post #50 - May 24th, 2018, 7:25 am
    I can vouch for the quality of the tteokbokki, though it is a little on the sweet side. I also think they make the best soondubu jjigae in the city, especially for the price point. The pork kimchi bun is the only worthwhile one IMO. All of these comments apply to the original location.
  • Post #51 - May 24th, 2018, 8:49 am
    Post #51 - May 24th, 2018, 8:49 am Post #51 - May 24th, 2018, 8:49 am
    Thanks errbody.
    I have to keep a list to keep track. Crossreffing here with the JB Snack Corner Menu. I'll more than likely only be hitting up Glenview. Using menu's spelling:

Under "Additional Items:"
    Kim Bap - Korean Futomaki
    Chap Chae - Stir fried noodle
    Chicken Wing - Drool - decent Korean crunchy sweet/spicy wings. Not very spicy. Not sickeningly sweet at all. These are continuously replenished in round takeout foil containers at the ordering counter. Warm. 7.95, iirc, and there were a good handful. Definitely worth it, imo.

Fried Mandoo - TBD - dumpling of some sort
    Steamed Mandoo - TBD - dumpling of some sort
    Soon-dae (blood sausage) - TBD
    Jok-Bal (pork hock) - TBD
    Fried Squid - TBD
    Fried Seaweed Roll - TBD
    ==
    Ramen
    Dduk Ramen
    Dduk Mandoo Gook
    Soon Tofu - Should be a spicy Tofu Soup?
    Dae-Gu-Tang
    Bool-Go-Kee - Grilled Beef with rice
    Udon
    Ra-Bok-kee - the same as ddukbokki, but with noodles added
    Dduk-Bok-Kee - rice cake and fish cake in spicy sauce
    Chung-Gook-Jang
    Al-Tang
    Hwe-Dup-Bap
    Hae-Mul-Kal-Gook-Soo
    Kal-Gook-Soo
    Dwen-Jang-Jji-Gae
    Yook-Gae-Jang
    Bee-Beam-Bap - Rice with a bunch of mix-ins
    Oden
    Dduk-Gook
    Nak-Ji-Bok-Um
    Soon-Dae-Gook
    Sul-Long-Tang

question:
    is "tteokbokki" the same as "Dduk-Bok-Kee?"
    If it is, then I might not like it if it runs sweet.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #52 - May 24th, 2018, 10:38 am
    Post #52 - May 24th, 2018, 10:38 am Post #52 - May 24th, 2018, 10:38 am
    One item missing from your list are the rice rolls often sitting on the counter for an impulse buy.

I brought a friend over for dinner recently. There was some serious order envy watching all the platters walking by. Wasn't always sure what it was, though it all look really good.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - May 24th, 2018, 12:49 pm
    Post #53 - May 24th, 2018, 12:49 pm Post #53 - May 24th, 2018, 12:49 pm
    seebee wrote:Thanks errbody.
    I have to keep a list to keep track. Crossreffing here with the JB Snack Corner Menu. I'll more than likely only be hitting up Glenview. Using menu's spelling:

Under "Additional Items:"
    Kim Bap - Korean Futomaki
    Chap Chae - Stir fried noodle
    Chicken Wing - Drool - decent Korean crunchy sweet/spicy wings. Not very spicy. Not sickeningly sweet at all. These are continuously replenished in round takeout foil containers at the ordering counter. Warm. 7.95, iirc, and there were a good handful. Definitely worth it, imo.

Fried Mandoo - TBD - dumpling of some sort
    Steamed Mandoo - TBD - dumpling of some sort
    Soon-dae (blood sausage) - TBD
    Jok-Bal (pork hock) - TBD
    Fried Squid - TBD
    Fried Seaweed Roll - TBD
    ==
    Ramen
    Dduk Ramen
    Dduk Mandoo Gook
    Soon Tofu - Should be a spicy Tofu Soup?
    Dae-Gu-Tang
    Bool-Go-Kee - Grilled Beef with rice
    Udon
    Ra-Bok-kee - the same as ddukbokki, but with noodles added
    Dduk-Bok-Kee - rice cake and fish cake in spicy sauce
    Chung-Gook-Jang
    Al-Tang
    Hwe-Dup-Bap
    Hae-Mul-Kal-Gook-Soo
    Kal-Gook-Soo
    Dwen-Jang-Jji-Gae
    Yook-Gae-Jang
    Bee-Beam-Bap - Rice with a bunch of mix-ins
    Oden
    Dduk-Gook
    Nak-Ji-Bok-Um
    Soon-Dae-Gook
    Sul-Long-Tang

question:
    is "tteokbokki" the same as "Dduk-Bok-Kee?"

Yes, same think, you will see it spelled different ways on various menus. Duk, dduk, tteok....all of them mean "rice cake"

Anything "Gook", "Guk" or "Tang" is a soup while Jji-Gae is a "stew". "Bap" means "rice". Oden is a Japanese fish cake stew.
  • Post #54 - May 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    Post #54 - May 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm Post #54 - May 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    seebee wrote:is "tteokbokki" the same as "Dduk-Bok-Kee?"

Yes.

It's on the sweeter/spicy side. If you've had something like Great Sea's lollipop chicken, it'll be a similar sauce.
  • Post #55 - May 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm
    Post #55 - May 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm Post #55 - May 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm
    thetrob wrote:Duk, dduk, tteok....

Goose.
  • Post #56 - May 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm
    Post #56 - May 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm Post #56 - May 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm
    cilantro wrote:

Goose.

^^^ :D :D :D
    Almost made me spit water on my monitor, cilantro!
    -Mary
  • Post #57 - May 25th, 2018, 5:21 pm
    Post #57 - May 25th, 2018, 5:21 pm Post #57 - May 25th, 2018, 5:21 pm
    cilantro wrote:

Goose.

HA HA HA!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #58 - August 31st, 2018, 6:14 pm
    Post #58 - August 31st, 2018, 6:14 pm Post #58 - August 31st, 2018, 6:14 pm
    Hi,

Thursday afternoon around 3 pm, I stopped by for a light meal with visiting family.

The stand alone panchan bars in the middle of the room were gone. I tried to learn if it was the time of day of my visit, weekends only or gone forever. I could not get a clear answer from the Korean cashiers.

Any ideas when the panchan bar can be expected or is it history?

Thanks!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #59 - August 31st, 2018, 7:17 pm
    Post #59 - August 31st, 2018, 7:17 pm Post #59 - August 31st, 2018, 7:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Thursday afternoon around 3 pm, I stopped by for a light meal with visiting family.

The stand alone panchan bars in the middle of the room were gone. I tried to learn if it was the time of day of my visit, weekends only or gone forever. I could not get a clear answer from the Korean cashiers.

Any ideas when the panchan bar can be expected or is it history?

Thanks!

Regards,
    CAthy2

They were all very much in place when I had lunch there at Snack Corner back in May (mid-day @ 3333 N Kimball).

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #60 - August 31st, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Post #60 - August 31st, 2018, 7:25 pm Post #60 - August 31st, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Any ideas when the panchan bar can be expected or is it history?
    Which Joong Boo was this?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events