LTH Home

Burgers near Six Corners (Milwaukee,Cicero,& Irving Pk)?

Burgers near Six Corners (Milwaukee,Cicero,& Irving Pk)?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Burgers near Six Corners (Milwaukee,Cicero,& Irving Pk)?

Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:22 am
    Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:22 am Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:22 am
    After being stumped for an answer after church this Sunday, I decided that this was the best place to bring this question: where can I find some good, cheap burgers around six corners (that is, the intersection between Milwaukee, Cicero, and Irving Park - 4000 N and 4800 W)? What ended up happening was a not-altogether bad trip to the nearby IHOP, but I really need better alternatives (at around the IHOP price or less) the next time my neighborhood food choices are overruled by the party.

[Note on chains: next door to this IHOP are a McDonald's and a Taco Bell, but my fellow lunchgoers typically look down on the fast food I so snobbishly cherish. That doesn't bode so well for the local Quiznos, Mr. Submarine (which is regrettably more expensive than the location on Foster and Lincoln, by the way), or even Dunkin' Donuts, either. Not that they're my first choices, but I've never thoroughly explored the area as I should, so I couldn't think of much else.]

One of the first suggestions you'd consider might be Roma's Italian Beef & Sausage on 4237 N. Cicero Ave. Unfortunately, I've tried the Italian beef and wasn't altogether impressed, but that could be biased because my beef experiences in general haven't been the best. I like to say I've been traumatized, but I've probably just not gone to the right places, or not had the proper preparations (too wet, too dry, not adding hot sauce to Harold's chicken, etc.). But to get back on topic, Roma's might not be remembered too fondly after I got a few friends to go last time, though I didn't try any of the sausages.

Timing is generally not an issue with most nearby restaurants seeming to be open after noon on Sundays. It's the question of trying something with minimal risk of being burned too badly. Here's what I scrounged up on the Metromix proximity search (to Roma's):

Jeff's Red Hots
    3901 N. Cicero Ave.

Windy City Gyros II
    5056 W. Irving Park Rd.
    (I actually wouldn't mind some good gyros)

Mike & Nick's Hot Dogs
    4008 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Now the topic subject I've chosen focused on burgers, but any other place that serves great American (fast) foods are definitely open to suggestion. Good taquerias on Irving Park are acceptable, and Hot Doug's would be a nice option, too, though kinda far from six corners (I can't remember whether they were open on Sundays or not). Oh, and I've heard of Sabatino's, but I'm looking for cheap and fast. Thanks in advance.

--Dan
  • Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:04 am
    Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:04 am Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:04 am
    I can strongly recommend Suzie's for burgers and shakes. It's a little drive, but not too far, located on Montrose just West of Elston on the North side of the street. Suzie's is the quintessential burger joint. It's a little shack open 24/7, with a huge menu of burger and shake choices. They also have a very large menu of other sandwiches. Of course, YMMV as I'm baffled by your dislike of Roma's.
    Last edited by stevez on December 2nd, 2004, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:10 am
    Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:10 am Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:10 am
    Hi,

Hot Doug's pre-fire was never open on Sunday.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:20 am
    Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:20 am Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:20 am
    stevez wrote:I can strongly recommend Sally's for burgers and shakes. It's a little drive, but not too far, located on Montrose just West of Elston on the North side of the street. Sally's is the quintessential burger joint. It's a little shack open 24/7, with a huge menu of burger and shake choices. They also have a very large menu of other sandwiches. Of course, YMMV as I'm baffled by your dislike of Roma's.

You mean Suzie's, right? The menu must be seen to be believed. Try the Confused Chicken, which consists of shredded chicken grilled with onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, white (American?) cheese, sour cream and mayo served up on a nice garlic bread roll.

Also, the varieties of fries in an edible bowl are pretty amazing.
  • Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:36 am
    Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:36 am Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:36 am
    Brainerd Parker wrote:
    stevez wrote:I can strongly recommend Sally's for burgers and shakes. It's a little drive, but not too far, located on Montrose just West of Elston on the North side of the street. Sally's is the quintessential burger joint. It's a little shack open 24/7, with a huge menu of burger and shake choices. They also have a very large menu of other sandwiches. Of course, YMMV as I'm baffled by your dislike of Roma's.

You mean Suzie's, right? The menu must be seen to be believed. Try the Confused Chicken, which consists of shredded chicken grilled with onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, white (American?) cheese, sour cream and mayo served up on a nice garlic bread roll.

Also, the varieties of fries in an edible bowl are pretty amazing.

Yes. Suzies. That's what I get for posting so early. I have edited my original post to correct this.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:52 am
    Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:52 am Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 9:52 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hot Doug's pre-fire was never open on Sunday.

Darn. Ah well, I suppose it's a bit further off than I would have liked anyway. Thanks for the info.

Brainerd Parker wrote:Try the Confused Chicken, which consists of shredded chicken grilled with onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, white (American?) cheese, sour cream and mayo served up on a nice garlic bread roll.

I was looking more for red meat -- where's my (north/northwest side) Big Baby? -- but a confused (if not subservient) chicken might also hit the spot. Great suggestion! I might have to stop by, though... y'know... to confirm hours, location, and the name, however (Suzie, Sally, or such). ;)

Oh, and sorry about the Italian beef preferences (non-preference). I just had a bad first experience with dry beef at Portillo's (I didn't get it dipped), and it's been haunting me ever since. At noted in this other thread, repeated exposure to better specimens might be the cure.

--Dan
  • Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:02 am
    Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:02 am Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:02 am
    Suzie's has such a huge menu, there is something for everyone. The banana split shake with real fruit mixed in is good, especially paired with the cheese fries in an edible bowl (or just get the fries unadorned in a brown paper bag, simple pleasures for a simple life). The philly steak is also pretty tasty.
  • Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:04 am
    Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:04 am Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:04 am
    Interesting... so what is this edible bowl at Suzie's made of?
  • Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:16 am
    Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:16 am Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:16 am
    Its just a taco salad bowl, but when you put Suzie's fries & cheddar in it and the bowl absorbs the flavor, its quite good, if not a cardiologist's nightmare. :D There is also one that has fries, cheese & gyros meat, but for me that would be a 4:00 am absorbent, wouldnt dare in the light of day (and of sound mind).
  • Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:14 am
    Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:14 am Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:14 am
    Thanks for the tips, dianeck. It's also great to see your (first?) posts on this board. I must say, though, that my first parsing of your username came out to something like dia-neck (as opposed to another possible rendering: diane-ck). Whatever the case, it's great to have you aboard. (And answering my questions!)

--Dan
  • Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 12:38 pm
    Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 12:38 pm Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 12:38 pm
    Dan:

My wife and I recently moved to this neighborhood. My reconnaisance is by no means complete, so I cannot yet offer the comprehensive survey I would like.

Nevertheless, my short answer to you would be to try the carne asada in some form at La Palapita (4263 N. Milwaukee), a taqueria on Milwaukee a bit north of Berteau. This is neither the chummiest nor the most charming place you will ever see, but their carne asada is some of the smokiest, best-seasoned and flavorful this side of La Pasadita (East). What I've tried of La Palapita's other meats was merely so-so, and their prices are a bit high for a dimly lit taqueria with no table service; but I have consistently enjoyed their carne asada in tacos and burritos. I believe they serve tortas as well, for what might be a slightly more burgerlike experience.

After that, your next-best option might be to drop in to the superb Family Fruit Market (4118 N. Cicero), buy a roll of D'Amato's bread and whatever looks good in the quite impressive deli selection, then assemble a sandwich from your purchases.

At least two other places in the neighborhood merit attention. Limbo's (4929 W. Irving Park), on the south side of Irving a bit west of Cicero, makes a very thin, very good pizza. The proprietors strike me as hailing from somewhere in eastern Europe, and probably for that reason I detect something vaguely Polish in the taste of their dough. Whatever the case may be, they easily manage the difficult feat of getting air pockets and bubbles within a super-thin crust, and the toppings are of decent quality and applied in suitable proportion to the thinness of the crust. (These observations apply to fresh-made pizzas only, not to their pre-made by-the-slice offerings.)

Finally, I must put in a good word for Wong's (5056 W. Irving Park), a Chinese-American sweet-and-sour place staffed, however, by Chinese-Chinese people who are very friendly, and will gladly cook genuine Chinese food for you if you ask (and if they have the necessary ingredients on hand). They were once kind enough to share some of their own staff lunch with me, and everything I tried was delicious - the pea shoots with garlic was the best I've had, better even than ... dare I say it ... [don't tell Gary] ... [meekest voice possible] LTH....

A subsequent visit, putting their claim to the test, showed that they can indeed serve up credible versions of real Chinese food, although not quite in the same league as the best of Chinatown. And for that matter, their Chinese-American dishes seem to be prepared with more care than is usual at such establishments.

If you go to Wong's, our preferred waitress is named Sunshine (or so she swears) - tell her that Tom and Gary sent you.
    Harry V.
  • Post #12 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:21 pm
    Post #12 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:21 pm Post #12 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:21 pm
    La Palapita is comparable to La Pasadita with good reason it seems...

As for Limbo's, have you had it delivered or just eaten in? I believe we ordered it for delivery on the advice of amscrap, who also rather likes the place, but were not impressed. Perhaps we'll try again, though occasions for pizza delivery have greatly diminished of late.

Good to see you post, Mr. V.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #13 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:36 pm
    Post #13 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:36 pm Post #13 - December 2nd, 2004, 1:36 pm
    dianeck wrote:Its just a taco salad bowl, but when you put Suzie's fries & cheddar in it and the bowl absorbs the flavor, its quite good, if not a cardiologist's nightmare. :D There is also one that has fries, cheese & gyros meat, but for me that would be a 4:00 am absorbent, wouldnt dare in the light of day (and of sound mind).

Fries, Cheese and Gyro meat? Sign me up!! Sounds like this rivals Old Timer's (Lake/Michigan) Gyro Omelet for best use of Gyro meat.
  • Post #14 - December 2nd, 2004, 2:13 pm
    Post #14 - December 2nd, 2004, 2:13 pm Post #14 - December 2nd, 2004, 2:13 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:I was looking more for red meat -- where's my (north/northwest side) Big Baby? -- but a confused (if not subservient) chicken might also hit the spot. Great suggestion! I might have to stop by, though... y'know... to confirm hours, location, and the name, however (Suzie, Sally, or such). ;)

I just got back from a lunch at Suzie's. I can now confirm that there is no big baby on their vast menu, but good burgers and other red meat items abound. The hours, as I posted before, are 24/7.

Here's a look at a small part of their menu. Note the Confused Chicken on the center panel along with the still not tasted Footsie Footsie Polish and Big Bull. Also, the full range of the "chez fries" is visible here. This is less than 1/3 of the menu selections. I wanted to get a shot of the whole thing, but the place is so small and shack-like that it is impossible to get far enough back to shoot it all.

Suzie's Menu Board

Did I mention the huge shake offering?
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #15 - December 2nd, 2004, 3:26 pm
    Post #15 - December 2nd, 2004, 3:26 pm Post #15 - December 2nd, 2004, 3:26 pm
    Did you encounter Suzie? Short dark hair, dark rimmed glasses, bad attitude? I've always wanted to ruffle her feathers by calling and asking what kind of shakes they have.

Suzie's is great, but if you can tear yourself away, check out Golfo's next door. They make a grilled chicken pita that is incredible with nice crisp hand cut fries to boot. The woman who owns it is great at making small talk, in a very comfortable way.

For pizza, Aiello's Golden Crust on Elston used to be great, now it's called The Baked Tomato (I think, moved out of the neighborhood about a year ago). Can't vouch for it, but worth a shot if they use the same recipe as Aiello's. Above average Chicago thin-crust, heavy on the cheese.

The Two-Way Grill at Elston/Montrose is a nice greasy spoon. They make a Waffle House quality patty melt. Open late if not 24 hours.

If you don't already know, stay away from the Golden Nugget at all costs.
  • Post #16 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:07 pm
    Post #16 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:07 pm Post #16 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:07 pm
    Brainerd Parker wrote:Did you encounter Suzie? Short dark hair, dark rimmed glasses, bad attitude? I've always wanted to ruffle her feathers by calling and asking what kind of shakes they have.

Suzie's is great, but if you can tear yourself away, check out Golfo's next door. They make a grilled chicken pita that is incredible with nice crisp hand cut fries to boot. The woman who owns it is great at making small talk, in a very comfortable way.

For pizza, Aiello's Golden Crust on Elston used to be great, now it's called The Baked Tomato (I think, moved out of the neighborhood about a year ago). Can't vouch for it, but worth a shot if they use the same recipe as Aiello's. Above average Chicago thin-crust, heavy on the cheese.

The Two-Way Grill at Elston/Montrose is a nice greasy spoon. They make a Waffle House quality patty melt. Open late if not 24 hours.

If you don't already know, stay away from the Golden Nugget at all costs.

It's interesting, but in all the time I've been going to Suzie's, I've never seen anyone in Golfo's. I took that as a sign. It's nice to hear that there's at least one good dish.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #17 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:19 pm
    Post #17 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:19 pm Post #17 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:19 pm
    Golfo's is great, but is limited in it's selection compared to Suzie's. Definitely quality over quantity, which we can probably agree is not the mantra at Suzie's. Suzie's is great for more creative and exotic spins on fast food, but their basic selections (very dry burgers, hit or miss fries) often fall short.

Try Golfo's, you won't be disappointed.
  • Post #18 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm
    Post #18 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm Post #18 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm
    Aaron Deacon wrote:La Palapita is comparable to La Pasadita with good reason it seems...

What do you know? How about that. La Palapita's decor is a step down from most other restaurants in the world, but still a step up from La Pasadita (east). La Pasadita also has a hotter and better green hot sauce (La Palapita's is slightly oily-tasting). But the carne asada is fairly comparable - by which I mean, excellent.

As for Limbo's, have you had it delivered or just eaten in? I believe we ordered it for delivery on the advice of amscrap, who also rather likes the place, but were not impressed.

We live barely more than a block directly north of Limbo's, so we pick it up and rush it home (their dine-in room is most uninviting). There is certainly a slightly odd flavor to their pizza, which as you see I have tried to ascribe to the perceived ethnicity of the proprietors. Of course, it could just be that after having awful thin-crust pizza in our new neighborhood from Roselli's and Paterno's, among others, we were ready to love Limbo's almost before the first bite.

Good to see you post, Mr. V.

Thank you sir.
    Harry V.
  • Post #19 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:50 pm
    Post #19 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:50 pm Post #19 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:50 pm
    Brainerd Parker wrote:Golfo's is great, but is limited in it's selection compared to Suzie's. Definitely quality over quantity, which we can probably agree is not the mantra at Suzie's. Suzie's is great for more creative and exotic spins on fast food, but their basic selections (very dry burgers, hit or miss fries) often fall short.

Try Golfo's, you won't be disappointed.

I will definately try Golfo's, but I can't agree at all with your assessment of Suzie's.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #20 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:29 pm
    Post #20 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:29 pm Post #20 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:29 pm
    hattyn wrote:I just searched centerstage.net for Suzie's and they list them as CLOSED.

NOOOOooooooo! Ahem, er... well, if stevez is to be believed, the folks at centerstage.net must be mistaken. (I couldn't even find a listing for Suzie's on metromix, but that's not so surprising.) If Suzie's is still operational, however, I thank stevez for checking in on the hours and conducting the sensitive photo reconnaisance. As a schedule, 24/7 just works, somehow. Chop a few bucks off each item, and I'd be in heaven (uh, figuratively). And thanks for the many suggestions, Harry V.; smoky asada definitely works for me. I can now say I'm much better armed for the next neighborhood outing.

Gratefully yours,
    The Fast Food Snob (Dan)
  • Post #21 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:38 pm
    Post #21 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:38 pm Post #21 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:38 pm
    stevez wrote:Here's a look at a small part of their menu. Note the Confused Chicken on the center panel along with the still not tasted Footsie Footsie Polish and Big Bull.

I'm having a hard time diverting my gaze from the words "Foot Long Gyros."

What the hell is that? :shock:

Erik M.
  • Post #22 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:52 pm
    Post #22 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:52 pm Post #22 - December 2nd, 2004, 10:52 pm
    Brainerd Parker wrote:If you don't already know, stay away from the Golden Nugget at all costs.

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, my knowledge of this fact came first-hand a year or two ago (at the Golden Nugget east of Cicero, but just west of the highway and Pulaski on Irving Park). I guess that explains why I've seen fewer and fewer of them in the city these past few years. (Was there one before the Duk's that used to be on Clark and Ridge in Edgewater, next to Senn High School?)

And, dare I say it, does anyone have any suggestions for my (almost inevitable) next visit to IHOP? I had something called the Laredo Burger this past week, which doesn't seem to be listed on the corporate web site. It wasn't horrible, but I knew there was better out there. I'm actually not too fond of pancakes these days, so that removes most of the incentive to go. (Denny's would fit the bill here; if only they had more locations in the city!) My usual order consisted of some kind of spicy omelette and hash browns, but I really felt like a burger on the 28th. Thanks to any continuing, if reluctant, patrons of IHOP.

--Dan
  • Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:24 am
    Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:24 am Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:24 am
    Erik M. wrote:I'm having a hard time diverting my gaze from the words "Foot Long Gyros."

What the hell is that? :shock:

Erik M.

Erik,

My guess is that it refers to bun length. :P

Hammond
  • Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:12 am
    Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:12 am Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:12 am
    Now, I'm not saying it's the best for breakfast or ANYTHING for that matter, but I have never had a BAD breakfast at the Golden Nugget on Elston and Diversey.

My favs: the English breakfast: Eggs, cheddar, home fries, sausage
    and the Little Boy Blue: eggs, blueberry pancakes, sausage

I have had a hamburger there, and it was pretty terrible. :roll:
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:00 pm
    Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:00 pm Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:00 pm
    Doubt they have burgers, but La Pena (Ecuadorian) just began a Sunday brunch. They're at 4212 N. Milwaukee, spitting distance from La Palapita; 773-545-7022, www.lapenachicago.com.

McNamara's at 4328 W. Irving Park (at Lowell) serves good burgers; they also have a Sunday brunch, 10 AM to 2 PM; 773-725-1800. They're not small or that cheap; I can usually only eat half and either share or take it home. They remind me of the burgers at the Red Arrow Road House in Union Pier, MI.

Mike's Ale House, which got good reviews at its previous location, moved a little further east on Irving Park into the old Tony & Lill's. Haven't checked them out yet.

How about the Dairy Queen where actress Bonnie Hunt worked as a teenager? Just west of Central Ave. on Irving Park, could be at Menard Ave. Only about 1 1/2 miles west of Six Corners.

Suzie's--my kids love it; it's a neighborhood institution. We usually eat outside, which makes it a little challenging in the winter. Bowser Dog on Irving Park at Kilbourn has a following; don't know if it's open on Sundays. There are lots of joints in this neck of the woods, you just have to ferret them out. Anna
  • Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:20 pm
    Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:20 pm Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:20 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    Anna Z. Sobor wrote:Mike's Ale House, which got good reviews at its previous location, moved a little further east on Irving Park into the old Tony & Lill's. Haven't checked them out yet.

Not too sure where that is, but I'd be pleased to know what's good there.

It's at 5134 W. Irving Park Rd. (773-685-2260), according to the page at Metromix. Also mentioned: the addition of Tony & Lill's pizza, beer, and daily specials, including "a half-pound burger with Tater Tots, and fried chicken and garlic mashed potatos," which "cost less than $4 each." I wonder if they have any Sunday specials....
    Last edited by fastfoodsnob on December 3rd, 2004, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:41 pm
    Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:41 pm Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 9:41 pm
    Anna Z. Sobor wrote:Doubt they have burgers, but La Pena (Ecuadorian) just began a Sunday brunch. They're at 4212 N. Milwaukee, spitting distance from La Palapita; 773-545-7022, www.lapenachicago.com.

Just called La Pena. Brunch runs from 5 AM to 2 PM, costs $9.95, and includes coffee and pop (if I understood the gentlemen correctly). Breakfast items and salted meats were mentioned, among other things. The price might deter me from going right away, but maybe when I'm really hungry one of these days...
  • Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:02 pm
    Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:02 pm Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:02 pm
    Whoa, I think I just lost a post. I'll try to repost what I posted after Anna's original (about 2-3 messages up), but it may be due to some system time reset 'cause the second to last post before this one actually post-dated the entry currently listed as the last post before this one (but moved before my supposedly "last" post). You can see a bit of this documented on my quote of my now-missing response to Anna Z. two posts up.

Here are the time comparisons, in posted order (not chronological, just going down):

Listed post times: 9:20, 9:41, 10:02
    Est. actual times: 9:20, 9:11, 9:32 (maybe ~9:00 originally?)

So messages 1 and 2 (in the posted order) are actually out of order, with the original (#3) totally gone (and replaced by this one). Quite a curious state of affairs. At any rate, here's what I basically said last time (trying to reconstruct)...

Thanks for the input, Anna. I'm sure I'll have a lot more places to check out now. And congratulations on an informative first post!

Anna Z. Sobor wrote:McNamara's at 4328 W. Irving Park (at Lowell) serves good burgers; they also have a Sunday brunch, 10 AM to 2 PM; 773-725-1800. They're not small or that cheap; I can usually only eat half and either share or take it home. They remind me of the burgers at the Red Arrow Road House in Union Pier, MI.

I pass by this place and Bowser Dog practically every week (though I actually had Bowser Dog some three years ago). It'll be great to try it someday, but the non-cheap rating slightly deters me from going.

Anna Z. Sobor wrote:Mike's Ale House, which got good reviews at its previous location, moved a little further east on Irving Park into the old Tony & Lill's. Haven't checked them out yet.

Not too sure where that is, but I'd be pleased to know what's good there. (A direct quote from my quote... argh!)

Anna Z. Sobor wrote:How about the Dairy Queen where actress Bonnie Hunt worked as a teenager? Just west of Central Ave. on Irving Park, could be at Menard Ave. Only about 1 1/2 miles west of Six Corners.

Might be a bit too far for me (distance-wise), but any place that serves some good beef is okay in my book. :)

Anna Z. Sobor wrote:Suzie's--my kids love it; it's a neighborhood institution. We usually eat outside, which makes it a little challenging in the winter. Bowser Dog on Irving Park at Kilbourn has a following; don't know if it's open on Sundays. There are lots of joints in this neck of the woods, you just have to ferret them out. Anna

Now that's what I like to see: some variety and a ringing endorsement! Thanks again for the recommendations.

--Dan
  • Post #29 - December 4th, 2004, 11:53 am
    Post #29 - December 4th, 2004, 11:53 am Post #29 - December 4th, 2004, 11:53 am
    I'm afraid that I must bear sad news about the current configuration of Mike's Ale House. I was a major fan of the previous location. It had a very good selection of domestic microbrews on tap, a great breadth of beers in bottles, and great daily food specials [$2 burgers one day, wings specials, a not-bad $2 Italian beef on Sundays,etc.]. And they had picnic tables and a pool table out in the back yard. Unhappily [perhaps due to disputes with the owner of the bar/building], Mike's moved east into Tony & Lill's pizzaria, and some misbegotten partnership was born. The food specials are largely gone, the tap selections are greatly reduced, the bottle selection is much slimmer, there aren't as many sandwiches and other goodies on the menu, and the pizza is of the mediocre cracker type much grumbled about here. I've been back a few times, hoping that the charm of the old place would creep into the new, but no go. There's no back yard. The pizza is somewhat popular in the neighborhood, so the bar is crowded with people picking up pizzas and the classic crabby middle-aged/old men nursing an Old Style. Feh.

Even though I don't live terribly close, I used to call Mike's my neighborhood bar. I am again without palatable neighborhood bar. I am sad.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #30 - December 5th, 2004, 12:03 am
    Post #30 - December 5th, 2004, 12:03 am Post #30 - December 5th, 2004, 12:03 am
    I saw a Mike's Ale House sign recently somewhere on north Western, I think, between Lawrence and Evanston (yeah, I know that's a long way)--I wondered if this place was related. Anyone know?

Also, I like McNamara's burgers well enough, and they're certainly not expensive...six or seven bucks maybe. Not fast food, but average bar price.

For what it's worth, here's an Old Irving round-up I did awhile ago:

Posted on Chowhound, May 19, 2003:

-----------

Welcome to the neighborhood. I

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide