LTH Home

Meat Heads Burgers

Meat Heads Burgers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - December 4th, 2008, 1:34 pm
    Post #31 - December 4th, 2008, 1:34 pm Post #31 - December 4th, 2008, 1:34 pm
    KSeecs wrote:I still have not received my coupon, and based on the review above I'm probably not going until I do!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #32 - December 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm
    Post #32 - December 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm Post #32 - December 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm
    I hope I didn't come off as overly negative in my comments above, so here's a revised summary, "In all, a very decent meal that could be made great with a few tweaks." In fact, I took a few coworkers there for lunch (convincing them away from Red Robin), and they unanimously loved it. So take that as you will.

Today I got the Cajun Sunrise (egg, cheese, jalepeno, blue cheese), and it was pretty good! I'm not a huge fan of bacon on a burger as it usually ends up losing its burgery goodness to, well... bacon, but the egg and jalepeno make up for it tenfold.

Side note, the place was packed for lunch, but the food came out really quickly, probably within 5 min. In fact there was a manager circling the dining area who was extremely nice, asking how the meal was and making sure the food was served promptly. And counter to my previous statement, today a more compact crew worked the kitchen, so I think they're ready to go full throttle.

So coupon or not, I'd give it a go, you'll probably like it.
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!
  • Post #33 - December 9th, 2008, 7:34 am
    Post #33 - December 9th, 2008, 7:34 am Post #33 - December 9th, 2008, 7:34 am
    I received my coupon today, but sadly to quote the coupon received today December 9, 2008

The fine print: This free burger certificate expires 1/31/08.

Working under the assumption somebody experienced a brain fart, as coupons only valid in the past are a bit asinine, I will report back upon trying, hopefully this weekend.
  • Post #34 - December 9th, 2008, 12:38 pm
    Post #34 - December 9th, 2008, 12:38 pm Post #34 - December 9th, 2008, 12:38 pm
    I received my coupon in my email yesterday.

Interesting... There is a link at the bottom suggesting...
    Forward email
    The coupon is not numbered and I suppose it can be printed a few times.

One caveat:
    One free burger certificate per purchase.
    Looks like I will be ordering fries with my burger. :)
  • Post #35 - December 9th, 2008, 3:20 pm
    Post #35 - December 9th, 2008, 3:20 pm Post #35 - December 9th, 2008, 3:20 pm
    Well, it says in the e-mail that you need to present a photo ID, but I'm not so sure what that accomplishes as my name appears nowhere in the e-mail. They can't assume everyone has their name in their e-mail. Very odd.
  • Post #36 - December 9th, 2008, 9:29 pm
    Post #36 - December 9th, 2008, 9:29 pm Post #36 - December 9th, 2008, 9:29 pm
    KSeecs wrote:Well, it says in the e-mail that you need to present a photo ID, but I'm not so sure what that accomplishes as my name appears nowhere in the e-mail. They can't assume everyone has their name in their e-mail. Very odd.

I am pretty sure we can share. The ID is so you don't use it twice.

Link to coupon
  • Post #37 - December 10th, 2008, 12:12 am
    Post #37 - December 10th, 2008, 12:12 am Post #37 - December 10th, 2008, 12:12 am
    Mikelipino wrote:I
    The patty is the thin Schoop’s / In-N-Out / Five Guys (presumably) burger that is best served well-done and almost crisp. My burger, while well-done, was sadly in need of a tan. Perhaps once they get the army of folks by the griddle trained up (again, more on them soon), they’ll get the courage to crank up the sucker and make Maillard a proud poppa.

Five Guys serves a quarter pound ( I believe) thicker burger that could in no way be compared to an In-N-Out Burger which is very thin. Culver's is also a thin burger.
  • Post #38 - December 13th, 2008, 2:14 pm
    Post #38 - December 13th, 2008, 2:14 pm Post #38 - December 13th, 2008, 2:14 pm
    I made it to Meat Heads today. After parking in the Fuel Efficient Vehicle space and after a flurry of fist bumping with the staff (a first for me) my wife and I's burgers arrived. I had their regular double with everything and she had the Texas Ranch (I think that was the name) which included bacon and a ranch type sauce. I'd have to agree with the early reviewer almost exactly. Everything was very fresh, hot and served promptly by a very friendly staff but seemed to lack that special something that really puts a dining experience over the top. While the flavor did not knock me out the preparation was good, cheese nicely melted on a pair of burgers that were just shy of being nicely charred on the grill. I think I would opt away from the ketchup and mustard next time as it tended to make things a bit gloppy. Fries were good, but could have been crispier. The cajun fries seemed identical to the regular with the addition of their cajun spice/salt mix which I was informed by the staff they keep up front if you want extra.

All in all I shall return, and I think I'll try one of their specials and see if that ups the flavor factor for me.

A note regarding the coupons. I forwarded mine to my wife but they would not honor it. They actually do have a list of all the original e-mail recipients and they highlight your name on the list when you pay so that you do not duplicate.
  • Post #39 - January 13th, 2009, 1:45 pm
    Post #39 - January 13th, 2009, 1:45 pm Post #39 - January 13th, 2009, 1:45 pm
    Buy one get one free hotdogs on Tuesdays 4-9 'til 2-24
  • Post #40 - January 15th, 2009, 2:25 pm
    Post #40 - January 15th, 2009, 2:25 pm Post #40 - January 15th, 2009, 2:25 pm
    I went to Meatheads a few weeks ago. I would have to say the burger was ok. Around that area it is hard to find a tasty burger so I guess that is my go to but I was hoping for more. I do have to say that the hot dogs are pretty good. They are coney style with the split bun like you would see on a lobster roll. My son was eating it so it didn't have any toppings but I would imagine that making the dog better.

All in all a good not great burger, good dog, good fries. I'll return to give it another go after the dust settles.

And the Jeep in the fuel efficient parking was mine. It runs on good feelings.
  • Post #41 - January 17th, 2009, 5:30 pm
    Post #41 - January 17th, 2009, 5:30 pm Post #41 - January 17th, 2009, 5:30 pm
    Well it's going to get interesting because I've read that Five Guys will be coming to Naperville this year. Since no one has reported if Meat Heads truly is a clone of Five Guys (the menu certainly is), it will be interesting to see what happens.

But as I said months ago, if Meat Heads is great all on it's own, I don't care if it's trying to be Five Guys Part 2 or not... good is good.
  • Post #42 - January 17th, 2009, 7:28 pm
    Post #42 - January 17th, 2009, 7:28 pm Post #42 - January 17th, 2009, 7:28 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Well it's going to get interesting because I've read that Five Guys will be coming to Naperville this year. Since no one has reported if Meat Heads truly is a clone of Five Guys (the menu certainly is), it will be interesting to see what happens.

But as I said months ago, if Meat Heads is great all on it's own, I don't care if it's trying to be Five Guys Part 2 or not... good is good.

Might not be any competition, with the way Naperville has expanded they could be 10 miles apart from each other
    :)
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #43 - March 16th, 2009, 2:34 pm
    Post #43 - March 16th, 2009, 2:34 pm Post #43 - March 16th, 2009, 2:34 pm
    I finally made it to Meat Heads yesterday, and I'll have to say that I wasn't impressed. Crowded, slow service, and a generally annoying atmosphere...Food that was cold, soggy, and mediocre (at best) by the time that I got it home. Maybe the food would have been okay if we would have eaten it there, but this place clearly is not worth the drive -- even from where I live near Hobson and Olesen (which technically isn't far).
  • Post #44 - March 16th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    Post #44 - March 16th, 2009, 4:23 pm Post #44 - March 16th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    Five Guys serves a quarter pound ( I believe) thicker burger

five guys patties are 3.3 ounces (I asked). they're just a bit thicker because they don't smash them quite so much.

is this meat heads place cutting their own fries?
    http://edzos.com/
    Edzo's Evanston on Facebook or Twitter.

Edzo's Lincoln Park on Facebook or Twitter.
  • Post #45 - March 18th, 2009, 7:27 am
    Post #45 - March 18th, 2009, 7:27 am Post #45 - March 18th, 2009, 7:27 am
    Yes to fresh cut per up thread, on their website, and now in our local "Clipper" magazine.

FWIW, same coupons are available online for free burger, fries, etc. until 4/30/09

Note a second page in this link with an additional Kid's meal coupon for those interested.

Coupons are a bit restricted, 3-9pm M-TH for the free burgers.

Clipper ad that caught my eye was Fish and Fries and a drink for 7.99 the Fridays during Lent.

Hope to give both a try soon.

http://couponclipper.com/loc/MEATHEADSB ... ES/Coupons
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #46 - March 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm
    Post #46 - March 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm Post #46 - March 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm
    i've tried this place a couple of times. i really wanted to like this place because the ingredients looked fresh but for some reason, it lacks something... the beef doesn't have the same addicting flavor like a 5 guys burger. i would even say that i prefer the culvers burger than a meat head burger.
  • Post #47 - April 13th, 2009, 2:22 pm
    Post #47 - April 13th, 2009, 2:22 pm Post #47 - April 13th, 2009, 2:22 pm
    I am neither a fan of chain restaurants, nor that big a fan of burgers, but I do like In 'n Out

particularly since I can use the parking lot shuttle to grab a bite while between flights at LAX, and I rather like Meat Heads now, too.

I do have some thoughts on what is good, and not so good.

Loosely packed, fresh burger, cooked to enjoyable crispiness is quite nice. Little, toasted, eggy bun is functional, if it does not add much in terms of texture or flavor (certainly the point) other than the slightest touch of sweetness. Selection of toppings is quite good. Having said that, I found the toppings on the burger as self-effacing as the buns on both visits, from the mildest jalapeno slices I have ever tasted, so mild I actually started to eat them on their own to be sure they were there, and were jalapenos (yes, and yes, though I still think they might have been sweet peppers that were shaped like jalapenos), and the wasabi dressing on the California Burger that seemed mild both to me and to the Chinese-American fellow eating one at the next table, too. The burger was crying for either a lot more wasabi, some pepper jack cheese that actually had some pepper kick, or maybe just some raw onions. The avocados were excellent.

The fresh cut fries are good, though (and yes, this is a theme) the Cajun Fries had very little kick.

Clearly, neither I nor the Mexican community around here are the target market, but rather those who like mild suggestions of flavor, mostly salt and sugar, with their grease.

I have found service to be pretty quick, both on a slow weeknight, and a very busy late lunch on Saturday. Service on Tuesday was low keyed, while service on Saturday was very engaged and friendly, despite how crowded the place was - a good sign, IMO.

Anyway, I am not a burger guy, and I prefer In 'n Out to Meatheads just because In 'n Out is a little crispier, and more assertively seasoned, if only by the addition of a lot more onions. Cheaper, too. But Meat Heads has very good fries, better beef, a good selection of toppings and now that I know to double up on all the seasonings in order to be able to taste them, I think I can construct a pretty good burger. Single patty, ketchup, tomato, onion (raw), fried egg, double jalapenos - can't be bad. For my twice a month burger fix, I now have another option beyond Nicky's and Country House (both in Lisle). Guess I should post on Nicky's one of these days, but since it is just a food service patty, cooked up nicely on a grill and served with good fries (skin on) and lots of salt and grease, it really is not that special, just done well. Worth driving here for Meat Heads, Country House or Nicky's, for those not already in N'ville? Naw. But good.

Thanks for the coupons.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #48 - April 14th, 2009, 10:21 am
    Post #48 - April 14th, 2009, 10:21 am Post #48 - April 14th, 2009, 10:21 am
    ^ Dickson, nice post. Hope all's well. Sounds like your experience at Meatheads was better than mine. Perhaps I was just in a bad mood when I was there on a crowded Sunday afternoon (also, in my opinion, the food does not travel well).

Where is Nicky's? I am not familiar with it, and a quick search on the internet didn't turn up much. Is it the gyros place in the strip mall near Main and Ogden?

Thanks.

Ron
  • Post #49 - June 16th, 2009, 7:54 am
    Post #49 - June 16th, 2009, 7:54 am Post #49 - June 16th, 2009, 7:54 am
    New Meatheads is being built out now in Northbrook.

Location is next to the Starbucks, across from Whole Foods in the Willow Festival shopping center at the corner of Willow Road and Waukegan Rd.
  • Post #50 - June 16th, 2009, 9:10 am
    Post #50 - June 16th, 2009, 9:10 am Post #50 - June 16th, 2009, 9:10 am
    Right down the street from Steak N Shake. At least I'll get to try Meat Heads and if it's good, it'll be close to home.
  • Post #51 - June 16th, 2009, 10:13 am
    Post #51 - June 16th, 2009, 10:13 am Post #51 - June 16th, 2009, 10:13 am
    saluki9 wrote:New Meatheads is being built out now in Northbrook.

Location is next to the Starbucks, across from Whole Foods in the Willow Festival shopping center at the corner of Willow Road and Waukegan Rd.

I thought that was supposed to be a 5 Guys?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #52 - June 16th, 2009, 11:29 am
    Post #52 - June 16th, 2009, 11:29 am Post #52 - June 16th, 2009, 11:29 am
    that mall seems to be ground central for the new wave of still-expanding hot new chains, what with roti and that other mexi-style place that i can't think of the name, which already went out.
    http://edzos.com/
    Edzo's Evanston on Facebook or Twitter.

Edzo's Lincoln Park on Facebook or Twitter.
  • Post #53 - June 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Post #53 - June 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm Post #53 - June 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Roti is still there, as of a couple weeks ago, at least. I'd be sad to see it go. While it's not the best, at least it's getting the middle eastern flavors out to the masses, and they can learn that there's a flavor spectrum out there.

The "Mex" place was Moe's Southwest Grill, which I'd given a quick review upthread, no great loss, as it was pretty much a Chipotle clone with a sports bar theme (less the bar). I think that's where Meat Heads must be going in.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #54 - June 16th, 2009, 12:57 pm
    Post #54 - June 16th, 2009, 12:57 pm Post #54 - June 16th, 2009, 12:57 pm
    elakin wrote:that mall seems to be ground central for the new wave of still-expanding hot new chains, what with roti and that other mexi-style place that i can't think of the name, which already went out.

How could you forget "WELCOME TO MOE'S" They screamed that at you when you walked in. That and the sub Taco Bell food was enough to ensure I was a one time customer.

BTW: It is the same location as Moe's
  • Post #55 - June 16th, 2009, 1:17 pm
    Post #55 - June 16th, 2009, 1:17 pm Post #55 - June 16th, 2009, 1:17 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Right down the street from Steak N Shake. At least I'll get to try Meat Heads and if it's good, it'll be close to home.

Fredhots is also down the street.
  • Post #56 - June 16th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    Post #56 - June 16th, 2009, 2:23 pm Post #56 - June 16th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    saluki9 wrote:New Meatheads is being built out now in Northbrook.

I thought that was supposed to be a 5 Guys?
    Oh man, I hope you are right!

gp60004 wrote:Fredhots is also down the street.
    I don't care Gus, I'd still rather go to your place anyday. :wink:
  • Post #57 - July 8th, 2009, 12:09 pm
    Post #57 - July 8th, 2009, 12:09 pm Post #57 - July 8th, 2009, 12:09 pm
    I think the eco-friendly parking is more for Pizza Fusion which is right next door. They advertise fresh organic ingredients, drive a hybrid for their delivery vehicle and are more than happy to point out what parts of their space were made from recycled and repurposed material. Interesting line up in this little strip, Meat Heads, Pizza Fusion and Jersey Mike's! The pizza BTW, was pretty good and made my vegetarian partner very happy with many veggie and vegan options. I had peperoni!
  • Post #58 - July 8th, 2009, 12:55 pm
    Post #58 - July 8th, 2009, 12:55 pm Post #58 - July 8th, 2009, 12:55 pm
    It's definitely going to be a Meat Heads location in Northbrook, and not Five Guys. They are hiring staff now.
  • Post #59 - July 13th, 2009, 8:13 am
    Post #59 - July 13th, 2009, 8:13 am Post #59 - July 13th, 2009, 8:13 am
    Meatheads just left us a bunch of cards at our office. Their new Northbrook location will open in mid July and the first 1,000 people to sign up at http://www.meatheadsburgers.com/first1000 will get a free burger certificate valid only at that location.

Willow Festival Shopping Center
    1036 Willow Road
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #60 - July 13th, 2009, 9:30 am
    Post #60 - July 13th, 2009, 9:30 am Post #60 - July 13th, 2009, 9:30 am
    Fujisan wrote:Meatheads just left us a bunch of cards at our office. Their new Northbrook location will open in mid July and the first 1,000 people to sign up at http://www.meatheadsburgers.com/first1000 will get a free burger certificate valid only at that location.

Willow Festival Shopping Center
    1036 Willow Road
    Northbrook, IL 60062

Thanks for the link! Free is good (usually). :)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more