LTH Home

Meat Heads Burgers

Meat Heads Burgers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Meat Heads Burgers

Post #1 - November 1st, 2008, 8:02 pm
    Post #1 - November 1st, 2008, 8:02 pm Post #1 - November 1st, 2008, 8:02 pm
    Meat Heads Burgers is coming to Naperville (the Whole Foods strip mall at 75th and Rte 59). They presently have one location in Bloomington, and their menu says Angus Burgers and fresh cut fries.

They hope to be open "after Thanksgiving", but that could mean almost anything.

Anybody been?
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:50 am
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:50 am Post #2 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:50 am
    From the menu and operation it looks to be an exact carbon copy of Five Guys Burgers and Fries. They even have the same setup (regular hamburger is a double, then they have a "little" burger which is a single, plus fresh cut fries available with cajun seasoning). Very funny to see this, it's like one of the many In'N'Out Burger copycats. I hope it's great, the more the better. Although this could hurt the Naperville area from getting it's own Five Guys location.
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:13 pm
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:13 pm Post #3 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:13 pm
    "Meatheads" I could almost see, but "Meat Heads?" I don't know exactly what that's conjuring up, but I'm not sure it's appetizing.

That said, I'm a fan of Five Guys, and this rip is a little too blatant. I'm prejudiced anyway against any place that announces their "concept" on the front page of their Web site. Are you a restaurant or an assignment for business school?
  • Post #4 - November 4th, 2008, 2:02 am
    Post #4 - November 4th, 2008, 2:02 am Post #4 - November 4th, 2008, 2:02 am
    I personally think there is plenty of room for good burgers here, even if it's a "rip" of another burger joint. Although how many ways can you do a burger? Other than make it good...which your customers will bear out, if you survive past year 2. I personally won't be there for any of them, I'll take Top Notch and TAB (only been twice but awesome when I was in HP) and let everyone else stand in 2 hour lines.
  • Post #5 - November 4th, 2008, 5:03 pm
    Post #5 - November 4th, 2008, 5:03 pm Post #5 - November 4th, 2008, 5:03 pm
    i am a burger lover.... and.. i did take a trip to bloomington in search of "the" burger..

meat heads ...rules

..if you look for a simple burger place...a burger is a burger........and truly how many more places do we actually need?

but.... if you seek an abstract multi layered burger and experience..then meat heads is your place...
    they take a simple concept....and bring it to a much higher level of true fresh fast food...
    hip...urban.....fresh....service oriented...
    and so so clean.....
    can't wait for the opening.....meat heads is growing..yay...
    concept well done...

meat me soon...in line....i'll be ordering the double with everything on it...as it should be....

love...ootra girlie
    burger fanatic

ps
    when i walked up to the counter to order...they made recommendations....which was a surprise...i loved that.....
  • Post #6 - November 4th, 2008, 5:18 pm
    Post #6 - November 4th, 2008, 5:18 pm Post #6 - November 4th, 2008, 5:18 pm
    ootragirl wrote:i am a burger lover.... and.. i did take a trip to bloomington in search of "the" burger..

meat heads ...rules

..if you look for a simple burger place...a burger is a burger........and truly how many more places do we actually need?

but.... if you seek an abstract multi layered burger and experience..then meat heads is your place...
    they take a simple concept....and bring it to a much higher level of true fresh fast food...
    and so so clean.....
    concept well done...

meat me soon...in line....i'll be ordering the double with everything on it...as it should be....

love...ootra girlie
    burger fanatic

ps
    when i walked up to the counter to order...they made recommendations....which was a surprise...i loved that.....

As suggested by the judicious insertion of ellipses throughout, the preceding post should be read in the voice of William Shatner.
    (My little joke. Meat Heads sounds pretty good, although I tend to prefer a hamburger to the concept of a hamburger. Is the "concepting" anything like Kuma's (named/themed burgers), or what?)
    JiLS
  • Post #7 - November 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm
    Post #7 - November 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm Post #7 - November 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm
    ootragirl wrote:i am a burger lover.... and.. i did take a trip to bloomington in search of "the" burger..

meat heads ...rules

and so so clean.....
    concept well done...

love...ootra girlie
    burger fanatic

ps
    Sounds great, but have you had Five Guys yet? You do know that Meat Heads appears to be a rip-off of Five Guys? Then again, you sound like you might work for Meat Heads with your first and only post being this one. :o :)
  • Post #8 - November 7th, 2008, 3:53 pm
    Post #8 - November 7th, 2008, 3:53 pm Post #8 - November 7th, 2008, 3:53 pm
    ootragirl wrote:iif you seek an abstract multi layered burger and experience..then meat heads is your place...
    and so so clean.....
    concept well done...

But how are the portions? :roll:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - November 12th, 2008, 10:22 pm
    Post #9 - November 12th, 2008, 10:22 pm Post #9 - November 12th, 2008, 10:22 pm
    i do not work for meat heads....i'm just a simple girl.... who loves a burger..
    done well...
    the portions are perfect..quite the handful when loaded up with the extras that i crave.
    drippingly delectable...

love...ootra girl
  • Post #10 - November 16th, 2008, 9:29 pm
    Post #10 - November 16th, 2008, 9:29 pm Post #10 - November 16th, 2008, 9:29 pm
    I actually DO work for Meat Heads and I believe we have a great product, awesome atmosphere and I would love to invite any sceptics in to try us out!! If you are not happy, please see me and I would love to hear you feedback and help future visits.

We are opening out Naperville location next Sunday November 23!!!!

Any burger lovers are welcome to try us out...ON US!!! http://www.meatheadsburgers.com/first1000

When you visit the website you can sign up for a totally FREE burger...that's right, free burger!! We want to thank the Naperville area for welcoming us and want to take care of our customers!!

Let me know if you have any questions, I am always happy to assist!!

Hope to see everyone in out new location!!

2555 W. 75th Street
    Naperville, IL 60540
    (630)355-6066
    http://www.meatheadsburgers.com
  • Post #11 - November 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    Post #11 - November 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm Post #11 - November 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    I'm look forward to my free burger! I work in Naperville so I think there will be plenty of chances to snag a good burger if it pans out.

Time will tell I'll report back after I try the freebee and I'll try not to let that influence my tastebuds.... free always seems to taste a bit better for some reason.
  • Post #12 - November 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm
    Post #12 - November 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm Post #12 - November 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm
    I'll check Meatheads out today or tomorrow if I have to go to Aurora for business.
  • Post #13 - November 18th, 2008, 2:12 pm
    Post #13 - November 18th, 2008, 2:12 pm Post #13 - November 18th, 2008, 2:12 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I'll check Meatheads out today or tomorrow if I have to go to Aurora for business.

If I were going to Aurora, I'd be much more interested i checking out El Pollo Giro.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - November 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm
    Post #14 - November 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm Post #14 - November 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm
    Apparently they are sending me a free coupon. I will report back.
  • Post #15 - November 18th, 2008, 6:52 pm
    Post #15 - November 18th, 2008, 6:52 pm Post #15 - November 18th, 2008, 6:52 pm
    Brendisue82 wrote:We are opening out Naperville location next Sunday November 23!!!!

Any burger lovers are welcome to try us out...ON US!!! http://www.meatheadsburgers.com/first1000

Woo Hoo! I am getting a coupon too!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #16 - November 18th, 2008, 6:53 pm
    Post #16 - November 18th, 2008, 6:53 pm Post #16 - November 18th, 2008, 6:53 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I'll check Meatheads out today or tomorrow if I have to go to Aurora for business.

If I were going to Aurora, I'd be much more interested i checking out El Pollo Giro.

I might just visit both! :)
  • Post #17 - November 18th, 2008, 7:14 pm
    Post #17 - November 18th, 2008, 7:14 pm Post #17 - November 18th, 2008, 7:14 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    stevez wrote:

I might just visit both! :)

Now you're talking!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - November 26th, 2008, 6:33 am
    Post #18 - November 26th, 2008, 6:33 am Post #18 - November 26th, 2008, 6:33 am
    I was in the strip mall yesterday, and the restaurant appears to be open (clerks in the store where I was shopping had been). No coupon yet, though. Anybody else get theirs?
  • Post #19 - November 26th, 2008, 7:49 am
    Post #19 - November 26th, 2008, 7:49 am Post #19 - November 26th, 2008, 7:49 am
    yay!!!
    MH did open this past weekend...and what a sight for my eyes....sooo exciting....
    my favorite burgers are much closer....to me...and my insatiable appetite for the
    perfect burger....always...

the company has gained strength ..you can feel it... with its image...and environment...
    i love watching this growth....

the day i went out to naperville to visit the store..i had other errands to do...so i tested the market...everywhere i went..i asked about MH..and.....everyone had either driven by and seen..or heard about the restaurant... all anticipated its opening....

the staff well organized..and efficient..i love that the mgr walks around to the tables making sure all is well...
    the day i was there brian was the acting mgr.... he was smiling and quite relaxed...he didnt look exhausted or drained...as most could in the first few days..
    the atmosphere..hip..fresh...friendly..comfortable...fun and squeaky clean..

RUN to MH and devour the menu...NOW....dont wait for your coupon...go today...when the coupon arrives...it will be your excuse to go again...
    HURRY...you will leave smiling...
    love..
    ootragirl

ps..
    dont forget the fries and a milkshake too...

...thank you carl..for the perfect..over the top burger...

AND thank you to MH for coming to naperville
    NEXT world domination....yay!!
  • Post #20 - November 26th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #20 - November 26th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #20 - November 26th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Hmm... smells a bit Lissy in here.
  • Post #21 - November 26th, 2008, 10:49 am
    Post #21 - November 26th, 2008, 10:49 am Post #21 - November 26th, 2008, 10:49 am
    ootragirl wrote:RUN to MH and devour the menu...NOW

Apparently they're stealing ideas from Moto.
  • Post #22 - November 26th, 2008, 10:58 am
    Post #22 - November 26th, 2008, 10:58 am Post #22 - November 26th, 2008, 10:58 am
    nr706 wrote:
    ootragirl wrote:RUN to MH and devour the menu...NOW

Apparently they're stealing ideas from Moto.

LOL

Although I do personally prefer the e.e.cummings approach, versus THE SCREAMER
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #23 - November 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm
    Post #23 - November 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm Post #23 - November 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm
    tcdup wrote:I was in the strip mall yesterday, and the restaurant appears to be open (clerks in the store where I was shopping had been). No coupon yet, though. Anybody else get theirs?

Nope. Not yet.

Maybe they are waiting for the opening rush to die down?
  • Post #24 - November 26th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    Post #24 - November 26th, 2008, 12:48 pm Post #24 - November 26th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    cilantro wrote:Hmm... smells a bit Lissy in here.

Funny she never posted here before this thread... :)
  • Post #25 - November 26th, 2008, 1:02 pm
    Post #25 - November 26th, 2008, 1:02 pm Post #25 - November 26th, 2008, 1:02 pm
    Are burgers the only thing to eat around LTH lately? :twisted:
  • Post #26 - November 26th, 2008, 5:46 pm
    Post #26 - November 26th, 2008, 5:46 pm Post #26 - November 26th, 2008, 5:46 pm
    I still find it amusing that ootragirl only posts in this thread, and she refuses to comment on the Five Guys copycat accusations.

I don't mind a copycat concept, especially if it is as good or surpasses the original! Just don't insult our intelligence. :P
  • Post #27 - November 29th, 2008, 6:15 pm
    Post #27 - November 29th, 2008, 6:15 pm Post #27 - November 29th, 2008, 6:15 pm
    I went to Meat Heads today and would like to report back – above average, but with the potential to be pretty dang good. But let me qualify.

I wanted to start off with the basics, so I ordered a regular (double) Monterey Jack cheeseburger with raw onion and a regular fry. After a few minutes, and a couple reassurances from some of the kids bringing out other orders (more on them in a moment), this is what I got…

… yup, that looks like a tasty burger. For comparison, here are pictures of two other good-looking burgers – an In-N-Out burger and a Krabby Patty. Fairly similar, no?

The burger was pretty good, not exceptional, but again pretty good. First off, everything was extremely fresh. Fresh beef. Fresh, soft bun. Crisp lettuce and slightly biting onion. Top marks here. After a few bites though you can tell that they’re still working out a few kinks.

The patty is the thin Schoop’s / In-N-Out / Five Guys (presumably) burger that is best served well-done and almost crisp. My burger, while well-done, was sadly in need of a tan. Perhaps once they get the army of folks by the griddle trained up (again, more on them soon), they’ll get the courage to crank up the sucker and make Maillard a proud poppa.

I also found the patty to be a bit bland (similar to what's been said about the new Five Guys), but this may be by design. Looking at the menu, they have several accessorized burgers complete with City / State themes to get the point across (hint: the Hawaiian has pineapple). Kind of like Cold Stone Creamery they may be focused on “mix-ins”, where no one really buys just a vanilla ice cream, but vanilla mixed with M&Ms, and fudge, and candy corn, and… In fact, the Cajun Sunrise (IT HAS AN EGG ON IT) sounds great and I may give it a go next time around.

The fries were also quite fresh, but again a tad under seasoned and a bit limp. Not bad by any means, but again just a bit off mark.

In all, a decent meal that could be made great with a few tweaks.

Some other notes – I’m not entirely sure, but I think they were training employees today. First tip-off was the grill area, where no less than twelve folks were preparing essentially two menu items: burger & fries. Most of them could barely spin in a tight circle, let alone move from their assigned spot. So it kind of makes sense that they don’t start burning some burgers until they make sure no one… burns the burgers. Also there were a lot of uniformed staff roaming the grounds, checking up on seated customers, chatting with other staff, or eating burgers & fries. Including the grill staff, there may have been three times as many people working there as there were customers to eat. A bit chaotic, but at least everyone seemed really nice.

Lastly, I really liked that in front of the door, right next to the disabled parking was “Preferred Parking for Fuel Efficient Vehicles”. Nice touch. Of course when I walked out a Jeep was parked there, and since I drove my own Jeep there, I know it would be quite a stretch to call them “fuel efficient”. I desperately wanted to get a picture of that, but as I walked out, the Jeep pulled away, probably in shame…
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!
  • Post #28 - December 1st, 2008, 1:35 pm
    Post #28 - December 1st, 2008, 1:35 pm Post #28 - December 1st, 2008, 1:35 pm
    Great post Mikelipino. Sounds like you haven't had Five Guys yet. I'm curious to hear from someone who is familiar with Five Guys to check Meat Heads out. The patties do look thinner than Five Guys. Sounds like Meat Heads has a decent product if they can get the operation running smooth. :)
  • Post #29 - December 1st, 2008, 4:35 pm
    Post #29 - December 1st, 2008, 4:35 pm Post #29 - December 1st, 2008, 4:35 pm
    Mikelipino wrote:Lastly, I really liked that in front of the door, right next to the disabled parking was “Preferred Parking for Fuel Efficient Vehicles”. Nice touch. Of course when I walked out a Jeep was parked there, and since I drove my own Jeep there, I know it would be quite a stretch to call them “fuel efficient”. I desperately wanted to get a picture of that, but as I walked out, the Jeep pulled away, probably in shame…

Thanks for posting your review. FWIW, the "preferred parking for fuel efficient vehicles" parking sign has been there for a while -- I believe it has more to do with the eco-friendly types who work at and/or frequent Whole Foods than Meat Heads. I also have seen large SUVs parked there, which I find somewhat humorous, though certainly not politically correct.
  • Post #30 - December 4th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    Post #30 - December 4th, 2008, 1:24 pm Post #30 - December 4th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    I still have not received my coupon, and based on the review above I'm probably not going until I do!

I will add off-topic that if I drove a gas guzzler I would go out of my to park in the "Preferred Parking for Fuel Efficient Vehicles" spot, purely out of spite. How ridiculous!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more