LTH Home

Toons Bar & Grill

Toons Bar & Grill
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 8
  • Post #121 - February 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm
    Post #121 - February 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm Post #121 - February 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm
    I can heartily second the nomination of Toons for a GNR.
    The food and camaraderie here is well seasoned with a superb selection of spirits.
    I have no doubt that others will wax poetic about the qualities of the staff and host.
    Suffice to say I wish I lived next door.
  • Post #122 - February 15th, 2011, 8:03 am
    Post #122 - February 15th, 2011, 8:03 am Post #122 - February 15th, 2011, 8:03 am
    No trip into the city for me is complete without a stop at Toon's for a few shots and beers & typically a little food. Wings are some of the best around, the jive turkey sandwich is great and the soups they turn out are some of the best in the city. Crawfish boils are not to be missed.

Great events, great owner.

GNR for sure.
    Last edited by jimswside on February 15th, 2011, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #123 - February 15th, 2011, 8:18 am
    Post #123 - February 15th, 2011, 8:18 am Post #123 - February 15th, 2011, 8:18 am
    Happy to add my support to this nom--to me, Toons is the epitome of a GNR--a place I only found out about because of LTH (we all know how many northside bars serve wings, right?) and, upon trying it out, immediately realized that it was something unique, as so many GNR's have proven to be.

Echoing all that was said before plus a plug for the red beans and rice that always accompanies crawfish boils and pig roasts--that stuff is addictive!! I think it says a lot for the place that I look forward to seeing the food specials more than those for drinks. Then again, that could be just a sign of old age :twisted:

Danny and company do a great job of making the place a neighborhood joint that's special. It doesn't take much to feel like a regular at Toons.

Edited once to clean up typos!
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on February 15th, 2011, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #124 - February 15th, 2011, 9:23 am
    Post #124 - February 15th, 2011, 9:23 am Post #124 - February 15th, 2011, 9:23 am
    Really strong nomination, Ronnie. Toons is always at the top of my list when I'm looking for a place to watch a sporting event, have a few drinks with friends, or eat great bar food. I've only attended one special event, but the food was really solid and I hope to attend future events. Danny and his crew have always been friendly and accommodating, even when the place is packed.

Ronna
  • Post #125 - February 15th, 2011, 9:32 am
    Post #125 - February 15th, 2011, 9:32 am Post #125 - February 15th, 2011, 9:32 am
    A terrific nomination. Great bar, superior bar food, wonderful staff. The best oyster po'boy I've had north of Hammond LA. They're doing it right. The perfect embodiment of a GNR.
    trpt2345
  • Post #126 - February 15th, 2011, 9:53 am
    Post #126 - February 15th, 2011, 9:53 am Post #126 - February 15th, 2011, 9:53 am
    I'm so happy to see Toons nominated for a GNR. We are lucky to live a stone's throw from Toons and stop in frequently for the superior food and welcoming atmosphere. The staff are friendly and helpful, Danny more than anyone. We can't get enough of the ribs, and I frequently assert to friends that they serve the best fries in the city, to say nothing of the world-famous wings! Toons should also be commended for opening immediately following the Blizzard of 2011, truly creating a community meeting place for neighbors who were desperate for a place to share great food, company and snow stories.
  • Post #127 - February 15th, 2011, 10:19 am
    Post #127 - February 15th, 2011, 10:19 am Post #127 - February 15th, 2011, 10:19 am
    gnr ,that would be great.
    love the place :mrgreen:
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #128 - February 15th, 2011, 12:16 pm
    Post #128 - February 15th, 2011, 12:16 pm Post #128 - February 15th, 2011, 12:16 pm
    Another yes vote for GNR inclusion! We are there 1-2 times a week. Had the D-Mon brisket sandwich last time I was there. Yummy! Looks like the rib Friday special again this week.
  • Post #129 - February 15th, 2011, 5:37 pm
    Post #129 - February 15th, 2011, 5:37 pm Post #129 - February 15th, 2011, 5:37 pm
    Toons should be a shoo-in. I assumed that it is, so it's time to fix this oversight?

Great tap selection. Great food. Wing sauce on EVERYTHING whenever I visit. Made even better by Danny, Kevin, and the staff.
    “Nothing is more agreeable to look at than a gourmande in full battle dress.”
    Jean-Antheleme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)
  • Post #130 - February 16th, 2011, 8:28 am
    Post #130 - February 16th, 2011, 8:28 am Post #130 - February 16th, 2011, 8:28 am
    While I haven't been fortunate enough to do any events at Toons or meet Danny yet, it's become one of my favorite places in the city this past year. We've been in there a few times a month to watch Blackhawks games, eat wings & drink pineapple vodka. I'm fairly sure if you don't do both of those on a trip to Toons you weren't really at Toons. (Seriously folks, my favorite buffalo wings in Chicago, bar none.) The BF & I go with friends or by ourself, sit at a table & just have a great time every time. You don't have to "know" people to enjoy yourself (but if anyone wants to know us, we're pretty alright individuals), and you can hang out, watch a game, eat some great bbq & wings & be away from the normal douchiness of the neighborhood. Going to Toons has been one of the few things to motivate me to get out of the house this winter. Great GNR choice. Like there was any doubt.
  • Post #131 - February 16th, 2011, 10:04 am
    Post #131 - February 16th, 2011, 10:04 am Post #131 - February 16th, 2011, 10:04 am
    The genius of this place is it's the best version of the kind of neighborhood bar that's on evey 3rd corner in Chicago -- and I mean that in the best possible way. Very good bar food, great staff, down to and particularly the bussers/expediters, and good booze. Worst bar furniture ever, though. My hope is that some of the extra revenue that comes from GNR notoriety (and let's just acknowledge, there is a GNR effect, if for no other reason because food journalists increasingly use the GNRs as "research" for more widely published items) goes into replacing the flimsy bar tables and chairs. :twisted:
  • Post #132 - February 17th, 2011, 8:35 am
    Post #132 - February 17th, 2011, 8:35 am Post #132 - February 17th, 2011, 8:35 am
    I completely support the nomination of Toons as a GNR. As many of you know I'm not a drinking man, yet a stop at Toons is always a welcome diversion for me. I can't say that about any other bar in the city. The hospitality of the staff is always great. They make you feel like a long lost friend every time you walk through the door. Besides that, the food at Toons is several notches above just about any corner bar in the city. Toons turns out food that is far better than it has to be, to the point where it is destination dining. Toons...count me a fan and a supporter of GNR status.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #133 - February 17th, 2011, 11:07 am
    Post #133 - February 17th, 2011, 11:07 am Post #133 - February 17th, 2011, 11:07 am
    I rarely post on this forum - but this is one I have! Toons is a great bar and restaurant for all the reasons posted and I'd like to add their support of "New Orleans culture" in the Chicago area. I play with the BS Brass Band which plays semi-regularly at Toons and we are always treated very decently (which isn't true of all the places we play). The food is great as is the atmosphere. It's nice playing for an "adult" audience free of knuckleheads. And the food is always a draw for both the band and audience.
  • Post #134 - February 20th, 2011, 1:32 pm
    Post #134 - February 20th, 2011, 1:32 pm Post #134 - February 20th, 2011, 1:32 pm
    I'm sad that I haven't been able to make it to any of the events at Toons, but I've been there so many times with friends and we've always enjoyed the place. Toons has given the term "bar food" a great meaning - tied with Great Seas for my favorite wings in Chicago, very good bbq and always a great place to hang with friends. Definitely a GNR.
  • Post #135 - February 22nd, 2011, 5:08 pm
    Post #135 - February 22nd, 2011, 5:08 pm Post #135 - February 22nd, 2011, 5:08 pm
    stevez wrote:Besides that, the food at Toons is several notches above just about any corner bar in the city. Toons turns out food that is far better than it has to be, to the point where it is destination dining.

As someone who's lived down the street from Toons for almost 4 years, it doesn't have to be destination dining to get me in the door. Yet, I've only gone to Toons 3 times, not counting the time I went for a crawfish boil only to learn it was sold out. Certainly the service has always been friendly, they have a good tap list, and a menu that is significantly more interesting than your average neighborhood bar. Still, I've never had anything memorably good there. Solid bbq ribs, solid burger, the nachos were a little disappointing but definitely not horrible. The oft-mentioned buffalo wings are very good, but I didn't think they were much better than other well-prepared wings I've had around town.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've just never fallen in love with Toons as so many others have. There are quite a few bars around town putting out pretty good bar grub. Toons has never stuck out to me as better than the rest.
  • Post #136 - February 22nd, 2011, 6:48 pm
    Post #136 - February 22nd, 2011, 6:48 pm Post #136 - February 22nd, 2011, 6:48 pm
    turkob wrote:Certainly the service has always been friendly, they have a good tap list, and a menu that is significantly more interesting than your average neighborhood bar. Still, I've never had anything memorably good there. Solid bbq ribs, solid burger, the nachos were a little disappointing but definitely not horrible. The oft-mentioned buffalo wings are very good, but I didn't think they were much better than other well-prepared wings I've had around town.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've just never fallen in love with Toons as so many others have. There are quite a few bars around town putting out pretty good bar grub. Toons has never stuck out to me as better than the rest.

Agreed 100%. I like Toons a lot and especially appreciate how eagerly the place embraces LTH. If there were an LTH award for friendliness, we could name it after Toons. But I think of Great Neighborhood Restaurants as, more than anything else, places to get exceptional food, and Toons doesn't come close to that.

I think of the Toons nomination as the antithesis of the Xoco nomination. The former is a an incredibly friendly place that anyone would be lucky to have in their neighborhood and would feel perfectly welcome hanging out in for hours. The food is good for what it is - a neighborhood bar - but not particularly special. Xoco, on the other hand, serves up staggeringly good food but is not a place where taking your time is encouraged.

If Xoco is a GNR, we've stretched Neighborhood to the point of irrelevancy (some would say we're already at that point, but IMHO Xoco would take that a couple levels further). If Toons is a GNR, we've stretched Great to include pretty good places that are really friendly to all and take extra steps to reach out to LTH. If both are in...well, it's hard for me to figure out what that means.
  • Post #137 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm
    Post #137 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm Post #137 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:But I think of Great Neighborhood Restaurants as, more than anything else, places to get exceptional food, and Toons doesn't come close to that.

I respectfully disagree with this premise. I think their food is the best of its kind in Chicago.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #138 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm
    Post #138 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm Post #138 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:But I think of Great Neighborhood Restaurants as, more than anything else, places to get exceptional food, and Toons doesn't come close to that.

I respectfully disagree with this premise. I think their food is the best of its kind in Chicago.

=R=

That's an impressive endorsement coming from you. But what exactly do you mean by "its kind"?
  • Post #139 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:33 pm
    Post #139 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:33 pm Post #139 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:33 pm
    turkob wrote:There are quite a few bars around town putting out pretty good bar grub. Toons has never stuck out to me as better than the rest.
    Valid point, to which I disagree. Let me give you an example. A week or so ago I wanted to get a bar burger at Bad Apple, I had gone a few weeks after they opened and had a so-so overcooked burger, seemed the night to give them another chance. 9pm the Bad Apple was too crowded to even walk in so I went across the street to Gannon's, convivial drink, but did not seem the place to eat. Completed the triangle with Wild Goose, under pour of bourbon on the rocks and a basket of the greasiest onion rings I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. I was hungry, had a few drinks under my belt and only managed one ring.

Reminded me of what Eatchicago said when he was disappointed at restaurants that weren't Mado. ISHGTM (I should have gone to Mado) Well, ISHGTT.

At Toon's its the whole package, food is simply one part. Danny the owner is old school hospitality, and a BBQ guy to boot, the staff is friendly and efficient and there is always someone to engage in conversation with, often an LTHer. I also like Danny's wife and daughter, and the fact they hang out there, its a visual invitation to all the families with kids in the area. Not that kids should be in a bar at 11pm, but Sunday afternoon they seem to fit right in.

Though some view Toon's as a sports bar, I've never watched a sporting event there, talked BBQ, even ate some, drank bourbon and had many a fine conversation.

Toon's, count me a fan.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #140 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:36 pm
    Post #140 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:36 pm Post #140 - February 22nd, 2011, 7:36 pm
    I also don't agree with this...

MarlaCollins'Husband wrote: If Toons is a GNR, we've stretched Great to include pretty good places that are really friendly to all and take extra steps to reach out to LTH. If both are in...well, it's hard for me to figure out what that means.

I found Toons because of LTH but no one knew that the first 3 or 4 times I ate there and I and was still given great service, suggestions on things to try, samples of things I was curious about--same as I have since meeting Danny and crew. In fact, I actually think I was bought more rounds BEFORE I was ID'd as an LTH'er--take that for whatever it's worth :mrgreen:

At Toons I've enjoyed food that exceeded "above average" or "pretty good" (and, in some cases, was not even bar food) and generally grew to love the place because I enjoyed eating, drinking and being there.

Definitely can't say the same of Xoco. If I had loved the food I tried, I might be able to get past the aesthetic issues I noted above and vice versa. It didn't do it for me. And just as I don't think a place should be eliminated from GNR recognition because it's received national recognition or is in a "touristy" 'hood, I don't think it should get extra points for "doing things right"--that's a different award. To me, a place merits a GNR if I find reasons to go there; I don't think Toons should be eliminated because it serves chicken wings. It also serves great NOLA specialties, wonderful scratch soups, terrific BBQ--all out of the postage-stamp sized kitchen of a "bar." To me, that's doing it right!

If we all agreed about this (or anything else), LTH would be pretty boring :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #141 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:45 pm
    Post #141 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:45 pm Post #141 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

You have made your point. You nominated Toons, so we already know that you disagree with anyone who doesn't. And, as a moderator, your statements command more respect, and your dissension, a chilling effect. So, unless you are specifically disagreeing with a specific point stated by someone else (and I don't see that you are here), please let others' disagreement stand as is. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by aschie30 on February 22nd, 2011, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #142 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm
    Post #142 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm Post #142 - February 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm
    The crawfish boils at Toons have formed some of my most vivid food memories of the last few years. I salivate when I think about how good they were. Beyond that, Toons manages to get serious smoke flavor into the still-juicy smoked turkey that forms the base of one of my favorite sandwiches in town: the "Jive Turkey". And the fries are always about as good as they are anywhere. I happen to have formed a friendship with jhawk1, but that came substantially later than the start of my affection for his place, which I posted about to begin this thread. If he were a nasty guy and Toons had never become the LTHForum "hangout" that it has, it would still be a GNR in my book.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #143 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
    Post #143 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:08 pm Post #143 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

That's an impressive endorsement coming from you. But what exactly do you mean by "its kind"?

LOL! I don't know why it should mean more coming from me. Frankly, I think it should mean less coming from me because I nominated Toons, so it's obvious that love it.

It's really hard to define what I mean by "its kind." There's just something about the food they serve -- pub grub, for lack of a better term -- that's the top of the category, IMO. The menu offers a satisfying and reliable roster of comfort food, bar-food classics and fun creations -- most all made from scratch. I think it's one of the best places in town to eat and drink, and that's why I've come to love it so. When I think of the kind of food I'd want to serve if I owned a bar, Toons' menu pretty much matches up with it. Additionally, their quality is consistently high and the care they put into the food and their business is very clear to me. The atmosphere is relaxed and very comfortable, which makes it a pleasure to spend time there.

I certainly didn't intend to call you out for your comments. I was just treating the thread like a discussion. I assume that since we know each other a bit, you took it that way. But just in case . . . :)

=R=
  • Post #144 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:21 pm
    Post #144 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:21 pm Post #144 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:21 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:LOL! I don't know why it should mean more coming from me. Frankly, I think it should mean less coming from me because I nominated Toons, so it's obvious that love it.

It's really hard to define what I mean by "its kind." There's just something about the food they serve -- pub grub, for lack of a better term -- that's the top of the category, IMO. The menu offers a satisfying and reliable roster of comfort food, bar-food classics and fun creations -- most all made from scratch. I think it's one of the best places in town to eat and drink, and that's why I've come to love it so. When I think of the kind of food I'd want to serve if I owned a bar, Toons' menu pretty much matches up with it. Additionally, their quality is consistently high and the care they put into the food and their business is very clear to me. The atmosphere is relaxed and very comfortable, which makes it a pleasure to spend time there.

I certainly didn't intend to call you out for your comments. I was just treating the thread like a discussion. I assume that since we know each other a bit, you took it that way. But just in case . . . :)

=R=

Oh, I didn't take it badly at all and I think it's great that you stand up for your nomination. I was just struck by the "of its kind" because it made me realize I don't know how I'd categorize Toons. It's far better than standard bar fare, but the menu is also far more diverse so I think it does a disservice to but it in the straight bar food category. And the recent openings of so-called gastropubs in neighborhoods all over Chicago have elevated pub dining past Toons but they're hiring trained chefs and are serving up food that's a different category of food.

But at the end of the day, the category doesn't matter to me. I like Toons a lot. But if I had a guest in from out of town and was giving them a food tour, Toons would not cross my mind as a place to go. Well, other than for the crawfish boil or the pig roast, but the special events aren't enough to get it close to GNR level for me.
  • Post #145 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:37 pm
    Post #145 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:37 pm Post #145 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:37 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:L But if I had a guest in from out of town and was giving them a food tour, Toons would not cross my mind as a place to go.

I've never been to Toons. There are GNR's that I enjoy that I would never think of taking a guest from out of town. The first one that comes to my mind is Old Fashioned Donuts. I still think it should be a GNR. Another is Marie's Pizza & Liquors. Still another is the Brown Sack. I adore all of these places and wouldn't think to take an out of town guest to any of them.

That doesn't mean they aren't worthy of GNR status.

Chicago has become a destination for food, so we won't have many "hidden gems" amongst restaurants, regardless of neighborhood or price. That's why the GNR's are important, IMO. It's a place that knows avec is a GNR as well as Old Fashioned Donuts. I don't think there are too many other guides out there that manage that.

Peace,
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #146 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:39 pm
    Post #146 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:39 pm Post #146 - February 22nd, 2011, 9:39 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:I was just struck by the "of its kind" because it made me realize I don't know how I'd categorize Toons.

Maybe you've done a better job here of explaining to me why I love Toons than I did in trying to explain it myself. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #147 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:03 pm
    Post #147 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:03 pm Post #147 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:03 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:L But if I had a guest in from out of town and was giving them a food tour, Toons would not cross my mind as a place to go.

I've never been to Toons. There are GNR's that I enjoy that I would never think of taking a guest from out of town. The first one that comes to my mind is Old Fashioned Donuts. I still think it should be a GNR. Another is Marie's Pizza & Liquors. Still another is the Brown Sack. I adore all of these places and wouldn't think to take an out of town guest to any of them.

That doesn't mean they aren't worthy of GNR status.

Peace,

Interesting. See, I think that for a place to be a GNR, there ought to be some people who would think about it as a key stop on their tour and a critical mass of others who can understand why it would be there even if they don't agree. For example, I would never take someone to Manny's on an eating tour of Chicago, but I can completely see why some people would. There's nothing I've had on the Toons menu that I can see someone saying it's a must-try on a Chicago eating tour. I haven't had the oyster po' boy trpt2345 mentioned, but I've had the wings people rave about plenty of times and while they're delicious, there are plenty of places as good or better.

Incidentally, Old Fashioned Donuts is absolutely on my list and if I lived closer and/or had a car, I would take every out of town guest there whether they wanted to go or not. But that's what makes this discussion fun. I'd just really like to see more people give some specifics about what's so special about the food that they think makes this a GNR.
  • Post #148 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm
    Post #148 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm Post #148 - February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm
    Incidentally, Old Fashioned Donuts is absolutely on my list and if I lived closer and/or had a car, I would take every out of town guest there whether they wanted to go or not. But that's what makes this discussion fun. I'd just really like to see more people give some specifics about what's so special about the food that they think makes this a GNR.

Funny- I've seen quote on both the Bristol & the Purple Pig that now have them on my list so we agree, the more details a person can provide in the discussion the better.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #149 - February 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm
    Post #149 - February 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm Post #149 - February 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm
    I like Toons and lean toward the GNR call. But as we strive for enlightenment about GNRs and LTH's history with particular restaurants, Toons presents a particularly clear example of what I noted earlier: LTH loves places that love LTH. And let me be clear up front -- I'm not saying that's a bad thing. To me it seems to be a consideration, and I think one that is ranked appropriately low compared to other factors. Certainly, the food has to be good above all else.

Get in the way-back machine, review the golden age of LTH and its pre-history on Chowhound; you'll see rather sparse, one-off mentions of Toon's standout wings and burgers going back to 2003. Probably the only significant poster recommending Toon's back then is YourPalWill. For 5 hears hence, a mention here and there, some apparently by Toon's folks posting on CH.

Then Toon's reached out to LTH in this 2008 thread and the rest is history:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19133&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I like Toon's and it seems to be a shoo-in this year. It can't hurt that Toons and some at LTH have a strong mutual fondness. But that's obviously not some kind of requirement. Other great GNRs don't give a rat's ass about LTH because they have no idea what it is, are too busy to care, or worse. (Katy's was a particularly bemusing example early on -- a shoestring operation with no media presence at all (talking not in the phone book) gained a whole new customer base and mainstream press based on Sazerac's classic post, but cranky Mr. Red Shirt shrugged and filed the GNR with the old gas bills.) I won't be shocked if Tierra Caliente does similar. I sort of hope they do. :twisted:

On the other hand, I think we have other to-me-archetypal GNRs that will remain forever unrecognized -- true neighborhood gems with long track records that never gained significant LTH traction for whatever reason. Tango Sur and Delilah's come to mind. Great at what they do, unique, uncompromising, neighborhood anchors, places that I love to take/send visitors. But they won't ever be GNRs, I don't think. All I care is that each GNR be very, very good not that every very good place be a GNR.
  • Post #150 - February 23rd, 2011, 3:45 pm
    Post #150 - February 23rd, 2011, 3:45 pm Post #150 - February 23rd, 2011, 3:45 pm
    I'm hardly a regular here, and maybe this is common knowledge on the board, but I don't know it. What defines "neighborhood" in GNR? Is it the neighborhood the restaurant in question is in, or is it just a general word? Because if it's the former, then Toons absolutely deserves one. The area south of Toons is grossly filled with faux Irish pubs, dessert places, a Cajun place that has bland food, chain food shops and Tango Sur. North isn't really any better. West you've got Terragusto & Ashland, with one or two places to go, and east you've got more average bars with average bar food.

So again, if GNR is defined by 'neighborhood the restaurant is in', then Toons totally needs a GNR. If it's not, then I suppose this can all be disregarded.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more