praise for Lao Sze Chuan

praise for Lao Sze Chuan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 18 of 19
  • Post #511 - May 18th, 2016, 9:54 am
    Post #511 - May 18th, 2016, 9:54 am Post #511 - May 18th, 2016, 9:54 am
    Oh, I think many things are sad about this story:
    --many people lost their jobs
    --each restaurant offered something to its neighborhood and anytime a successful restaurant closes, the neighborhood suffers some bit of economic downturn
    --and (selfishly) each of us lost access to some pretty good food
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #512 - May 18th, 2016, 11:15 am
    Post #512 - May 18th, 2016, 11:15 am Post #512 - May 18th, 2016, 11:15 am
    Diannie wrote:Oh, I think many things are sad about this story:
    --many people lost their jobs
    --each restaurant offered something to its neighborhood and anytime a successful restaurant closes, the neighborhood suffers some bit of economic downturn
    --and (selfishly) each of us lost access to some pretty good food

Except there are no reports of any closings--he sold off properties but none of those remaining in his group have closed or appear to be closing. I suppose that could change but guessing they'd sell them off v. just closing up.

The sad thing for me is that the ones he sold are definitely different, by varying degrees--and that might continue to happen if he has to divest the rest of them. But that's speculation at this point.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #513 - May 24th, 2016, 8:47 am
    Post #513 - May 24th, 2016, 8:47 am Post #513 - May 24th, 2016, 8:47 am
    Tony Hu enters guilty plea. It runs to over 20 pages, accepts a 33-41-month prison term, and admits to $9M in unreported earnings, but he'll pay back over $1M in Illinois taxes.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #514 - December 18th, 2018, 6:26 am
    Post #514 - December 18th, 2018, 6:26 am Post #514 - December 18th, 2018, 6:26 am
    I have to pick up a friend in Downers Grove this weekend and travel south of Chicago.
    On the way back I would like to order take out from Lao Sze Chuan in Downers Grove and would appreciate any comments on the quality of the food at this location recently.
    Thanks for any replies.-Richard
  • Post #515 - December 18th, 2018, 8:24 am
    Post #515 - December 18th, 2018, 8:24 am Post #515 - December 18th, 2018, 8:24 am
    budrichard wrote:On the way back I would like to order take out from Lao Sze Chuan in Downers Grove
    While I have not an inkling as to the current quality at LSC in DG I do know that Downers Grove is adjacent to Westmont, home of Katy's Dumpling House
    GNR Thread ----> Link
    Main Katy's thread -----> Link
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #516 - December 19th, 2018, 10:19 am
    Post #516 - December 19th, 2018, 10:19 am Post #516 - December 19th, 2018, 10:19 am
    budrichard wrote:I have to pick up a friend in Downers Grove this weekend and travel south of Chicago.
    On the way back I would like to order take out from Lao Sze Chuan in Downers Grove and would appreciate any comments on the quality of the food at this location recently.
    Thanks for any replies.-Richard

I have eaten there with my parents twice, and although the last time was last year, I'd say the quality is comparable to the Chinatown location. The crack chicken makes me cry tears of pain and joy in equal measure.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #517 - May 28th, 2019, 7:45 pm
    Post #517 - May 28th, 2019, 7:45 pm Post #517 - May 28th, 2019, 7:45 pm
    I ate their last week after not going for a couple of years. It was barely 1/4 full of diners. The three-chili chicken was fatty and stringy and just had a weird texture, and the meat was very dark. The sweet and sour sauce for the egg rolls had a bad taste, a strange color, almost with notes of Pepto-Bismol was the only thing that came to mind (probably perception because of the weird pink color). We left a ton of food, none of which we wanted wrapped up to go. Just terrible. The woman that used to work the register and anyone else who was once familiar there was gone. Panda Express would be a better option. Never going back, which is really disappointing, as this was our favorite place.
  • Post #518 - July 18th, 2019, 7:28 am
    Post #518 - July 18th, 2019, 7:28 am Post #518 - July 18th, 2019, 7:28 am
    Lao Sze Chuan Chinese restaurant held a ribbon-cutting and opening recently as one of the first places to open in the new Pacifica Square development at New York Street and Route 59 in Aurora.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #519 - July 18th, 2019, 9:02 am
    Post #519 - July 18th, 2019, 9:02 am Post #519 - July 18th, 2019, 9:02 am
    saps wrote:Panda Express would be a better option.

You may want to rethink that statement. ------> Link
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #520 - December 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm
    Post #520 - December 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm Post #520 - December 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm
    After discovering that my new fave on Cermak- JMC Szechuan Road in Chinatown- is CLOSED on TUESDAYS- :cry: we simply kept the Parking Space, and
    navigated our way to our old mainstay-
    Lao Sze Chuan.

I'd like to share that Lao Sze Chuan's still serving their
    Lunch Special menu (Who-Knew??!) available upon request)
    and that the Fish Filet in Spicy Sauce and The Three Chili Chicken were BOTH -Outstanding and as good as ever!

Add in the fact that "Tommy" :wink: - the gravelly-voiced-gregarious-Host-With-The-Most is still- there- shilling the wayward Chinese eaters into Tony's eatery.
    Like the infamous TIMEX watch advertisements....- it may "take-a-lickin'- but- STILL-keeps-on-tickin'"

Also- finally- Tony dispelled with those Phillipe Staark -designed-
    Clear Polycarbonate Chairs which were 'bout-as comfortable
    as a 3-legged-Milking-Stool-inna-cold-Wisconsin-Barn-
    On-the 12th night of-February.
    A modified Hans Wegner-esque chair show ol' Tony's still got
    good Design intents in mind-
    and will apply that taste to please his customers- posteriors!
  • Post #521 - February 10th, 2020, 11:17 am
    Post #521 - February 10th, 2020, 11:17 am Post #521 - February 10th, 2020, 11:17 am
    Signs in the window indicate that Lao Sze Chuan is opening a location at 614 S. Wabash in the Sloop. This continues the string of Chinese places opening in the area, but this is the furthest North I'm aware of other than the dumpling spot in the Loop itself. I have no way of knowing which of the Laos are Tony owned or franchised or a completely separate operation, but his picture is on the signs.

http://www.sloopin.com/2020/02/lao-sze- ... atown.html
  • Post #522 - February 13th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Post #522 - February 13th, 2020, 12:57 pm Post #522 - February 13th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Tony Hu Continues Comeback With Plans for Lao Sze Chuans in South Loop and Suburbs

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/2/13/211 ... hland-park
  • Post #523 - April 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm
    Post #523 - April 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm Post #523 - April 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm
    Despite most of CHINATOWN being closed-
    Lao Sze Chuan-is still open for Take-Away-Orders.
    ImageLao Sze Chuan’s still open for take out by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Support them- please...
    They need-us-as-much-as-we-need-them!

ImageGhost-Town ( CHICAGO’s normally vibrant Chinatown Mall) by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Coulda-shot-an-RPG-through-the-Mall-and-not-hit-any-one......
  • Post #524 - May 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Post #524 - May 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm Post #524 - May 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Has anyone hit up the uptown location on Broadway recently? Thoughts, especially as to quality and how they're handling things during the pandemic?

Thanks in advance!
  • Post #525 - May 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    Post #525 - May 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm Post #525 - May 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    jellob1976 wrote:Has anyone hit up the uptown location on Broadway recently? Thoughts, especially as to quality and how they're handling things during the pandemic?

Thanks in advance!

I've been getting delivery once every week or two and have found them to be hitting on all cylinders. Can really only speak for Three Chili, cumin, and black bean dishes.

On top of that it feels like their delivery operation has become faster and more efficient (granted I'm less than two miles away).
  • Post #526 - May 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm
    Post #526 - May 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm Post #526 - May 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm
    alessio20 wrote:
    jellob1976 wrote:Has anyone hit up the uptown location on Broadway recently? Thoughts, especially as to quality and how they're handling things during the pandemic?

Thanks in advance!

I've been getting delivery once every week or two and have found them to be hitting on all cylinders. Can really only speak for Three Chili, cumin, and black bean dishes.

On top of that it feels like their delivery operation has become faster and more efficient (granted I'm less than two miles away).

Thanks! My wife wants Chinese for mother's day. Shanghai Inn is her normal go-to, but they're not picking up the phone today. Gonna give LSC a try.
  • Post #527 - May 11th, 2020, 7:17 am
    Post #527 - May 11th, 2020, 7:17 am Post #527 - May 11th, 2020, 7:17 am
    alessio20 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Thank for the report, gonna give the Uptown location another shot, my last couple orders were a real struggle but there's really nothing else that scratches the same itch in delivery range.
  • Post #528 - May 11th, 2020, 9:37 am
    Post #528 - May 11th, 2020, 9:37 am Post #528 - May 11th, 2020, 9:37 am
    jellob1976 wrote:Thanks! My wife wants Chinese for mother's day. Shanghai Inn is her normal go-to, but they're not picking up the phone today. Gonna give LSC a try.

I realize (some) folks enjoy Shanghai Inn, I'm not in that camp. Brown goo the three or four times I've gone. Large inexpensive lunch specials, quick if perfunctory service, warm tea colored water and brown goo gravy that pulls like a well made grilled cheese.

I've gone three or four times as I have a FB friend who occasionaly posts pics with glowing descriptions. I know the guy, like him, respect his palate, but we differ on what makes tasty Chinese American food.

Far as LSC, Broadway or otherwise, its been a while but I have mostly given up on them. Last time I ate at the Skokie LSC the following day was not the most pleasant in memory.

Shanghai Inn
    4723 N Damen Ave
    Chicago
    Closed Monday/Tuesday
    IL 60625
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #529 - May 11th, 2020, 11:53 am
    Post #529 - May 11th, 2020, 11:53 am Post #529 - May 11th, 2020, 11:53 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    jellob1976 wrote:Thanks! My wife wants Chinese for mother's day. Shanghai Inn is her normal go-to, but they're not picking up the phone today. Gonna give LSC a try.

I realize (some) folks enjoy Shanghai Inn, I'm not in that camp. Brown goo the three or four times I've gone. Large inexpensive lunch specials, quick if perfunctory service, warm tea colored water and brown goo gravy that pulls like a well made grilled cheese.

I've gone three or four times as I have a FB friend who occasionaly posts pics with glowing descriptions. I know the guy, like him, respect his palate, but we differ on what makes tasty Chinese American food.

Far as LSC, Broadway or otherwise, its been a while but I have mostly given up on them. Last time I ate at the Skokie LSC the following day was not the most pleasant in memory.

Shanghai Inn
    4723 N Damen Ave
    Chicago
    Closed Monday/Tuesday
    IL 60625

I don't entirely disagree with you regarding Shanghai Inn. There are a good deal of bland/mediocre dishes. But there are also enough dishes I enjoy that I'd still recommend it. Their egg rolls are some of my favorite, and the General Tso's chicken is pretty good (but you have to order it spicy or extra spicy). I also like that the fried shrimp appetizer comes unadorned with any sauce, so it remains nice and crispy (and they're pretty generous with their housemade sweet and sour sauce for dressing it).

LSC was pretty good last night. Boiled beef in Szechuan sauce was my favorite. Could have been a little spicier, but I probably should have asked for that.
  • Post #530 - May 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Post #530 - May 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm Post #530 - May 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Coincidentally, we ordered delivery from Uptown LSC last night for the first time in over two years, after giving up on them due to multiple bad/bland experiences. With much lowered expectations, we actually enjoyed the food: Crispy shrimp (aka shrimp with mayonnaise sauce), Tony's 3 chili chicken, some wonton soup,and Chengdu dumplings. Still prefer the original, but living in Edgewater makes weekday delivery of Uptown LSC back to being a good option these days.
  • Post #531 - July 6th, 2020, 9:28 am
    Post #531 - July 6th, 2020, 9:28 am Post #531 - July 6th, 2020, 9:28 am
    Open!! :D

Lao Sze Chuan
    1935 Sheridan Rd.
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (312) 804-0048
    http://laoszechuanhp.com/
  • Post #532 - July 6th, 2020, 12:45 pm
    Post #532 - July 6th, 2020, 12:45 pm Post #532 - July 6th, 2020, 12:45 pm
    Wow! That calls for a drive to the old stomping grounds.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #533 - July 7th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    Post #533 - July 7th, 2020, 6:17 pm Post #533 - July 7th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    Tony's chicken with three chili oil, Sliced beef and Maw Szechuan style, Pork pot stickers from new Highland Park location. I have never eaten at Lao Sze Chuan before.

Totally disappointed. I ordered online and was told 50 minutes with a very specific pickup time. I got there 3-4 minutes before pickup time and was immediately handed my bag O' food. Took about 6-7 minutes to get home.

Rice was cold, dried out and inedible. Everything else was colder than luke-warm. We picked at our food and debated making sandwiches out of the fridge. Ate enough that sandwiches weren't necessary.

If this were some young guys just getting into the restaurant business, I would cut them some slack. Not the case here. Worst $35 I've spent on food in a long time
  • Post #534 - July 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm
    Post #534 - July 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm Post #534 - July 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Image
    Tony's chicken with three chili oil, Sliced beef and Maw Szechuan style, Pork pot stickers from new Highland Park location. I have never eaten at Lao Sze Chuan before.

Totally disappointed. I ordered online and was told 50 minutes with a very specific pickup time. I got there 3-4 minutes before pickup time and was immediately handed my bag O' food. Took about 6-7 minutes to get home.

Rice was cold, dried out and inedible. Everything else was colder than luke-warm. We picked at our food and debated making sandwiches out of the fridge. Ate enough that sandwiches weren't necessary.

If this were some young guys just getting into the restaurant business, I would cut them some slack. Not the case here. Worst $35 I've spent on food in a long time

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I must point out that there is no such dish as "three chili oil" I assume you mean "three chili chicken" which is one of their most reliable dishes. The pot stickers have always sucked, so this doesn't surprise me.
  • Post #535 - July 9th, 2020, 5:37 am
    Post #535 - July 9th, 2020, 5:37 am Post #535 - July 9th, 2020, 5:37 am
    1 S10 Tony's Chicken with Three Chili 1 $ 14.95
    Spice Level:
    Medium
  • Post #536 - July 9th, 2020, 6:29 pm
    Post #536 - July 9th, 2020, 6:29 pm Post #536 - July 9th, 2020, 6:29 pm
    That evening, I received an email telling me that online ordering as i had done was the best way to order. It also asked for feedback, which I gave. No reply from the restaurant. They obviously do not care.
  • Post #537 - July 9th, 2020, 7:01 pm
    Post #537 - July 9th, 2020, 7:01 pm Post #537 - July 9th, 2020, 7:01 pm
    lougord99 wrote:1 S10 Tony's Chicken with Three Chili 1 $ 14.95
    Spice Level:
    Medium

No mention of oil anywhere I could see. Perhaps we get a different menu in Chicago.
  • Post #538 - August 28th, 2020, 3:14 pm
    Post #538 - August 28th, 2020, 3:14 pm Post #538 - August 28th, 2020, 3:14 pm
    After reading about GWiv's most excellent MaPo Tofu experience at JMC Szechwan, I too felt oddly compelled to have some too.
    Sadly, since COVID19's "New Rules"- JMC's owner hasn't chosen to attempt outdoor seating on Cermak - & I felt like dining-out.
    So- I went to my "Gold-Standard" (or MaLa Standard) for Szechuan Style Cusine- The O.G.- Lao Sze Chuan. There are several tables set up outside the Restaurant-as well as socially-Distanced Dining inside.

One of the best "Lunch Specials" in town, never advertised, nor is a Lunch Special Menu even offered- yet is always available by prefacing your request with the magic words- "Lunch Special"-
    ImageLao Sze Chuan Lunch Special MAPO ToFu by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    a very tasty Hot and Sour Soup- slightly over thickened with Cornstarch I believe, the balance of flavor was very "standard".
    ImageLao Sze Chuan Hot 'n Sour Soup = as a part of The Lunch Special by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    The highlight of my meal- was seeing the former "Mayor of China-Town" Tony Hu sitting with an Interior Designer and another friend of his. Tony voice was so familiar and I didn't want to interrupt his meal, until he recognized me and we had a great visit.
    He is still busy.
    Constantly working his mobile.
    He's still got all of his Restaurants (Downers Grove, N. Michigan Avenue, etc.)-
    and is planning to ReOpen the space across the Mall from Lao Sze Chuan that was a Hunan (I believe) Style Chinese Restaurant) and briefly-mentioned plans for a
    new Seafood Restaurant on Michigan Avenue.
    We even spoke about my Dad - who celebrated his 80th in Lao Sze Chuan-Upstairs, with a Close-Up Magician from Schulien's on Irving Park I arranged....
    and just passed 2 years ago- Dad woulda made 92 Years of age today.
    Tony's SUCH A MENSCH! (for those not of The Yiddish persuasion- a Mensch- is personal trait, that's the highest honor a person can bestow upon another man, a quality that is not learned, nor part of ones Social-Order-
    it's jus'-how-you-be!

Great Lunch- great Company-Lao Sze Chuan- Count me a fan! ©Gary Wivott !
  • Post #539 - April 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Post #539 - April 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm Post #539 - April 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm
    1st meal "out" in over a year, and well...LSC spoke to us. Errthing was fkn glorious. Dry chili everything, 3 chili chicken. MA po was a tiny bit lackluster compared to everything being great, but still fine. They were firing on all cylinders and then some. Ooh. Bon bon chicken is a new "must." We over-ordered by three mains, but happy to have the leftovers. Dry chili tofu and fish were the best versions I've had there, with the tofu being best I've had anywhere. Their dry chili game was seriously hitting today.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #540 - April 13th, 2021, 1:52 pm
    Post #540 - April 13th, 2021, 1:52 pm Post #540 - April 13th, 2021, 1:52 pm
    They received their business license yesterday for the new South Loop location - and also applied for a liquor license 1.5 weeks ago. Sounds like opening of that new location is coming soon.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more