LTH Home

Data Points in Albany Park - Al Amira

Data Points in Albany Park - Al Amira
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 23rd, 2022, 6:01 pm
    Post #31 - April 23rd, 2022, 6:01 pm Post #31 - April 23rd, 2022, 6:01 pm
    We tried Taqueria San Juanito last night. I was happy with the guacamole. Good flavor, decent portion for the price. Chips seemed purchased rather than fresh though.
    Daughter, Audrey, is in a torta phase and went with the ham & egg.

She was happy with it. Rice and beans were good, nothing special, but slightly better than average.

Husband got a beef burrito.

He said it was nicely seasoned. Salsas provided perked everything up considerably. I liked the green a lot.

I got the 3 shrimp taco dinner.

They suffered from overcooked shrimp but the tortillas were very fresh and soft and the aforementioned salsa helped.

So far, Torteria San Lenchito is our clear Mexican favorite in the area. We’ve been back a few times and are always happy. Taqueria las Flores is probably our #2. We’ve tried them twice now and are learning their strengths/weaknesses.
    Planning to try El Fogon de Elena soon.
  • Post #32 - April 24th, 2022, 2:10 am
    Post #32 - April 24th, 2022, 2:10 am Post #32 - April 24th, 2022, 2:10 am
    LynnB wrote:
    I think the student has become the master here. That’s a good looking calzone (and the pizza looks…uh…not as good :P)

HaHa! As far as last night goes, I agree with you boudreaulicious. In fairness to the restaurant, we have had better looking/tasting pizzas from them in the past. Not great mind you, but better. Just another data point for the file…..

I try to avoid any healthy pizza, especially olives and green pepper, so I think your daughter is pretty spot on
  • Post #33 - April 25th, 2022, 10:12 am
    Post #33 - April 25th, 2022, 10:12 am Post #33 - April 25th, 2022, 10:12 am
    Have yet to try any of the taquerias mentioned in this thread, will have to check them out sometime.

My usual go to's are:
    La Fogata
    3930 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
    They have a really good red salsa that we make sure to get extra to keep throughout the week. Very smoky, like smokier than a typical can of chipotles. Also like their enchiladas.

Taco Max
    3402 W Montrose Ave Chicago, IL 60618
    Excellent al pastor and cochinita pibil.
  • Post #34 - May 4th, 2022, 10:12 am
    Post #34 - May 4th, 2022, 10:12 am Post #34 - May 4th, 2022, 10:12 am
    Lindo Michoacan Supermarket, A Longtime Albany Park Staple, Gets City Grant To Expand Grocery Store

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/05/04 ... ery-store/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #35 - June 7th, 2022, 3:43 pm
    Post #35 - June 7th, 2022, 3:43 pm Post #35 - June 7th, 2022, 3:43 pm
    Flavors Of Albany Park Returns For Its 13th Year Celebrating Neighborhoods Restaurants.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/06/07 ... staurants/
  • Post #36 - June 21st, 2022, 7:39 pm
    Post #36 - June 21st, 2022, 7:39 pm Post #36 - June 21st, 2022, 7:39 pm
    Last carry-out of the dance season was daughter’s pick and she chose LD Pho. I find them nothing exciting but certainly not a bad choice either. Solidly mediocre.

Noticed that Rojo Gusano has vacated their Albany Park location and someone else has taken over. Driving by, there were handwritten signs I couldn’t decipher but definitely seemed like a continuation of the Mexican theme.

Taking a dance break for the Summer but we’ll be back in the neighborhood come September…
  • Post #37 - June 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am
    Post #37 - June 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am Post #37 - June 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am
    Went to Torteria San Lenchito and El Fogón de Elena recently, and both were really great experiences. Had cemitas poblanas (carnitas & veggie) at San Lenchito, and a plantain steak sandwich, chicharrón, and veggie arepa at El Fogón de Elena. Really generous and helpful staff at both places.
  • Post #38 - October 16th, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Post #38 - October 16th, 2022, 5:59 pm Post #38 - October 16th, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Revisited an old favorite for carry-out after Nutcracker practice today. Salam was definitely on point. Outstanding hummus, garnished beautifully. Kefta Kebob entree, falafel entree, veggie combo, fresh pita, and a mix of house sauces, all delicious. Glad to be back in the neighborhood for carry-out. Perhaps San Lenchito next week…
  • Post #39 - October 16th, 2022, 8:55 pm
    Post #39 - October 16th, 2022, 8:55 pm Post #39 - October 16th, 2022, 8:55 pm
    LynnB wrote:Revisited an old favorite for carry-out after Nutcracker practice today. Salam was definitely on point. Outstanding hummus, garnished beautifully. Kefta Kebob entree, falafel entree, veggie combo, fresh pita, and a mix of house sauces, all delicious. Glad to be back in the neighborhood for carry-out. Perhaps San Lenchito next week…

Ill have to give them another try! Last time I ordered, I found it to be far below what kabobi and noon o kabab offered.
  • Post #40 - June 20th, 2023, 6:28 pm
    Post #40 - June 20th, 2023, 6:28 pm Post #40 - June 20th, 2023, 6:28 pm
    Flavors of Albany Park is back Wednesday, June 21!
    Chicago's biggest single-day restaurant crawl is back! Join us on Wednesday, June 21st to enjoy the diverse flavors you can only find in Albany Park! Across 70 establishments that feature a global array of cuisine, you can eat your way around the world!

https://northrivercommission.org/flavor ... park-2023/
  • Post #41 - June 21st, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Post #41 - June 21st, 2023, 12:58 pm Post #41 - June 21st, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Flavors of Albany Park is back Wednesday, June 21!
    Chicago's biggest single-day restaurant crawl is back! Join us on Wednesday, June 21st to enjoy the diverse flavors you can only find in Albany Park! Across 70 establishments that feature a global array of cuisine, you can eat your way around the world!

https://northrivercommission.org/flavor ... park-2023/

They sold out of all the routes. We were debating between this and the Malt Row on Damen beer tasting stroll. We've done the latter a few times so will likely sit out this year. I want to try try Flavors of AP next year.
    -Mary
  • Post #42 - June 23rd, 2023, 9:30 pm
    Post #42 - June 23rd, 2023, 9:30 pm Post #42 - June 23rd, 2023, 9:30 pm
    Hala In

Technically Mayfair? Close enough. When they first opened in 2010 we lived within walking distance and were carry-out customers. Flash forward to around 2016 - Audrey was a toddler and she and I had lunch there a few times. The ladies working the front of house were so welcoming and kind. They were surpprised how much Audrey loved hummus and falafel and fussed over her so much that it made a lasting impression on her.
    We haven't been back in years but recently Audrey started asking me if we could revisit it. Tonight was girls-only night so we decided to take the opportunity to return together. Tables had been rearranged a bit and the ladies of Middle Eastern heritage were not there. There was a very friendly woman taking great care of everyone in their place. Everything else was the same - fresh flowers on the tables, owner present and working the phones while bouncing between the kitchen and front of house. The food is fresh, nicely seasoned and generously portioned. Pita is fine, but not nearly as good as what you'll get over on Kedzie. I have always thought of them as a mostly carry-out/delivery spot but when we arrived around 7pm there were 4 tables occupied and 3 more groups came in after us. It was very nice to see a small neighborhood restaurant surviving.

We shared a small hummus. I had the Falafel Salad and Audrey went with the Chicken Shawarma. I brought home leftovers, she had nothing left! :shock:

Hala In
    4624 W Lawrence
  • Post #43 - June 26th, 2023, 7:57 pm
    Post #43 - June 26th, 2023, 7:57 pm Post #43 - June 26th, 2023, 7:57 pm
    This is great! This area has a glut of middle eastern places and it's a good reminder to try more than the few which are a part of my regular rotation
  • Post #44 - July 28th, 2023, 9:01 pm
    Post #44 - July 28th, 2023, 9:01 pm Post #44 - July 28th, 2023, 9:01 pm
    Delicious carry-out from Hala In tonight. Audrey had been craving the chicken shawarma. Veggie combo, kofta kabab, and extra falafel rounded out the meal. If only they could improve their pita...

• Post #45 - August 6th, 2023, 8:47 pm
    Post #45 - August 6th, 2023, 8:47 pm Post #45 - August 6th, 2023, 8:47 pm
    Taqueria Las Flores suffered a fire which has permanently shut down the restaurant. Such a bummer!

Link to the gofundme which provides a lot more detail about the restaurant

https://gofund.me/86021b1c
  • Post #46 - December 1st, 2023, 1:44 pm
    Post #46 - December 1st, 2023, 1:44 pm Post #46 - December 1st, 2023, 1:44 pm
    LynnB wrote:Revisited an old favorite for carry-out after Nutcracker practice today. Salam was definitely on point. Outstanding hummus, garnished beautifully. Kefta Kebob entree, falafel entree, veggie combo, fresh pita, and a mix of house sauces, all delicious. Glad to be back in the neighborhood for carry-out. Perhaps San Lenchito next week…

Lynn, was the practice at NEIU? We're going to the Nutcracker performance Saturday afternoon and looking for a nice lunch venue nearby. Nice as in, girls dressed up for the ballet might feel fancy dining in...somewhere? Any recs? They're good eaters.
  • Post #47 - December 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm
    Post #47 - December 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm Post #47 - December 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm
    annak wrote:Lynn, was the practice at NEIU? We're going to the Nutcracker performance Saturday afternoon and looking for a nice lunch venue nearby. Nice as in, girls dressed up for the ballet might feel fancy dining in...somewhere? Any recs? They're good eaters.

Tre Kronor
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #48 - December 1st, 2023, 3:51 pm
    Post #48 - December 1st, 2023, 3:51 pm Post #48 - December 1st, 2023, 3:51 pm
    annak wrote:

Lynn, was the practice at NEIU? We're going to the Nutcracker performance Saturday afternoon and looking for a nice lunch venue nearby. Nice as in, girls dressed up for the ballet might feel fancy dining in...somewhere? Any recs? They're good eaters.

No, but her dance school is not far from there.
    GWiv’s recommendation of Tre Kronor is a very good one. Not terribly far from there is Noon O Kebab. The main dining room is quite opulent and you would not feel uncomfortable a bit dressed up.
    Enjoy the ballet!
  • Post #49 - March 9th, 2024, 8:57 am
    Post #49 - March 9th, 2024, 8:57 am Post #49 - March 9th, 2024, 8:57 am
    It was Audrey's turn to pick out a restaurant for carry-out last night. We drive the strip of Foster Ave. from Cicero to Kedzie and back 4 times a week. She's noticed and was curious to try Los Asaderos.

I assumed it was just a taco/burrito joint catering to the NEI and North Park University students. It's more than that. The menu includes a large breakfast section, beef birria section, several steak and seafood entrees, a few tortas, pambazos, etc...

Their online ordering system is efficient and direct from them. Pick-up was smooth, everything was packaged well and nothing was missing.

Audrey went with Chicken Flautas. Trust me, there are 3 large flautas underneath all that lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

Jonathan got steak Enchiladas Verdes. Same, they are there underneath all the garnish.

I tried their Huarache with mushrooms and rajas.

This place is not as special as Torteria San Lenchito, but it is a solid substitute for the sadly closed and missed Las Flores down the street. We'll definitely carry-out from them again.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more