LTH Home

The greatest hot dog stand in the world?

The greatest hot dog stand in the world?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The greatest hot dog stand in the world?

Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 12:20 am
    Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 12:20 am Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 12:20 am
    The Sterns discover Gene & Jude's.

Unanswered Question: Is Glen Stepanovic really just another alias for Vital Information?

It appears the Sterns have been recently visiting Chi-town--there are also updated reviews of Leon's, Manny's, and Fluky's.
  • Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:28 am
    Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:28 am Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:28 am
    While I can't name any place currently that's hot dog Nirvana (perhaps Poochie's, perhaps Hot Dog Island), Gene and Judes isn't my favorite.

Why? Because variety is the spice of life. G&J's quality is outstanding, no doubt, but that's because they're experts in two things: dogs and fries. And even then, their dogs are dimmed by lack of condiments -- you can't run it through the garden there.

And only fries and tamales as other options? Sometimes I want a sausage, sometimes a beef, sometimes onion rings... the stand is rated, by me at least, in its repertoir, not its solo.
  • Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 11:06 am
    Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 11:06 am Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 11:06 am
    Our family hits Gene & Jude's maybe twice a year, usually in conjunction with our trips to Riis Park. We throw out a blanket in the back of our station wagon, flip open the hatch, and dine in the parking lot. I doubt it would be special if we went any more often. That said (and admitting that hot dogs are not high on my personal list of comestibles), I find the experience at Gene & Jude's a welcome contrast to the stuffy and cramped atmosphere of some of the other locales favored by chow-types (what I am I supposed to call folks on this board, anyway -- LTHistas?). Mustard's Last Stand in Evanston is the only other place I can think of that is at all comparable nearby. Moreover, I can't think of any stand that does more than one or two things really well (most of Superdawg's menu, I think, is pretty weak, and I've tried just about everything by now).

On another issue, and apparently I am at liberty to say this here: Is there anybody else who is just a bit weary of Jane and Michael Stern's triumphantalism? My family owes them alot, considering how widely we travel the US, and they are peerless reviewers. But to the Sterns, no restaurant is ever just good, or excellent at a couple of things, but must represent some kind of epiphany. And of course once you've spent any time in a place they're writing about, you quickly discover that they missed a lot of good places while they've promoted some other place quite ordinary in quality. (Think of the Cozy Corner on Milwaukee Ave, featured in Roadfood; that must have been one hell of a breakfast they got there one day, 'cause I've never gotten anything nearly that wonderful in several visits now). Nitpicking, perhaps, but good to get it off my chest.
  • Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 3:11 pm
    Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 3:11 pm Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 3:11 pm
    this past weekend i was travelling way far west on lawrence towards the expressway, and spotted a little hot dog stand, the name of which escapes me. good dog/bad dog, the dog hut, or something like that - anyone know the place i'm talking about? anyone been?

sharon
  • Post #5 - June 8th, 2004, 9:59 pm
    Post #5 - June 8th, 2004, 9:59 pm Post #5 - June 8th, 2004, 9:59 pm
    leesh wrote:this past weekend i was travelling way far west on lawrence towards the expressway, and spotted a little hot dog stand, the name of which escapes me. good dog/bad dog, the dog hut, or something like that - anyone know the place i'm talking about? anyone been?

sharon

"Way far west"? That's not even as far as Cicero, if I remember. :)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it would be a tiny, tiny building -- smaller, it seems to me, than the Maxwell St. trailer at Diversey and Damen, but freestanding -- on the south side of Lawrence, I think in a parking lot or other oversized lot, or next to one? In a couple years of trips that passed it, I've never once seen it open.
  • Post #6 - June 9th, 2004, 12:09 pm
    Post #6 - June 9th, 2004, 12:09 pm Post #6 - June 9th, 2004, 12:09 pm
    well, for a non-driving gal, that's kinda far west for me! :wink:

the place you've described fits the bill, and it was open last saturday around noon, however a stop-in was not possible.

maybe on my next trip "out west" i'll give it a try

sharon
  • Post #7 - June 13th, 2004, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - June 13th, 2004, 11:44 am Post #7 - June 13th, 2004, 11:44 am
    Sterns have offered their opinion of Stash's in Highland Park:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=2303&RefID=2301

In the early 1970's, Chicago Magazine award Stash's the number 1 slot for hot dogs in the Chicago area. For years, the bronze hot dog award was mounted on the wall.

A recent change of ownership has allowed a fresh approach to this Highland Park landmark, which in the last 20 years was eclipsed by Michael's.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more