LTH Home

Who's Your Mama? Hoosier Mama Pie Company

Who's Your Mama? Hoosier Mama Pie Company
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 12 of 12 
  • Post #331 - May 20th, 2024, 2:50 pm
    Post #331 - May 20th, 2024, 2:50 pm Post #331 - May 20th, 2024, 2:50 pm
    Not previously mentioned: The Evanston location offers free parking. A few doors south of the shop is a driveway into the same high-rise building as HMPC. The signs direct for "retail parking" to turn left just after entering, and you'll find spaces with up to 3 hours free parking.
  • Post #332 - June 15th, 2024, 11:22 am
    Post #332 - June 15th, 2024, 11:22 am Post #332 - June 15th, 2024, 11:22 am
    There is no pie that varies in quality at Hoosier Mama as much as the strawberry. It's actually not close; their consistency is pretty amazing. The strawberry issue isn't really their fault - her insistence on using local fruit means Michigan strawberries and those things are all over the place in terms of flavor.

One of the culinary tricks that separates Hoosier Mama from all the pie pretenders out there is the judicious use of interesting spices. In the strawberry pie, the spice of choice is mace. So when Ellis or Klug sells Hoosier Mama inferior strawberries, the mace dominates and the pie is a let down. But when those berries are at their peak, and I say this as someone who has probably had a wider variety of pies at Hoosier Mama than anyone other than Paula Haney and possibly her family, the strawberry pie is one of the best they make.

Today's pie, which I bravely endured the giant strollers and pure bred dogs and the people who have both at Green City Market to pick up, was just stellar. It was so loaded with berries that I passed it around before cutting it so people could see how heavy it was.

The corn, honey and blueberry compote muffin was also spectacular. So much corn flavor that was accentuated by the honey and complemented perfectly by the blueberries. I love the muffins at Hoosier Mama but I'm so focused on the pies that I rarely have the same one twice. This one joins raspberry as the muffins I'd have again and again.

Rhubarb pound cake was also delicious. Not too sweet, not too tart, and about as moist as a piece of cake can be without falling apart.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more