LTH Home

Soft shell crabs - who's making them?

Soft shell crabs - who's making them?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 8
  • Post #151 - June 25th, 2015, 10:33 pm
    Post #151 - June 25th, 2015, 10:33 pm Post #151 - June 25th, 2015, 10:33 pm
    Thanks to petite_gourmandewho alerted me to Go4Food's salt and pepper soft shells a group of us headed there tonight to stuff ourselves. These were some of the best soft shells I've had, we supplemented with the giant clams, scallops, pea tips with crab, millionaire rice and golden crab which I'm hoping someone who took a pic will post. An amazing meal for 8 of us, we're lucky to have a place like this serving such fresh seafood.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #152 - June 25th, 2015, 11:17 pm
    Post #152 - June 25th, 2015, 11:17 pm Post #152 - June 25th, 2015, 11:17 pm
    mbh wrote:Thanks to petite_gourmandewho alerted me to Go4Food's salt and pepper soft shells a group of us headed there tonight to stuff ourselves. These were some of the best soft shells I've had, we supplemented with the giant clams, scallops, pea tips with crab, millionaire rice and golden crab which I'm hoping someone who took a pic will post. An amazing meal for 8 of us, we're lucky to have a place like this serving such fresh seafood.


    Don't eat me!
    11664086_10153420613597787_1500942514_o.jpg


    Oops,
    11656044_10153420647342787_487626945_o.jpg
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

    -Mark Twain
  • Post #153 - June 28th, 2015, 5:06 pm
    Post #153 - June 28th, 2015, 5:06 pm Post #153 - June 28th, 2015, 5:06 pm
    This past Wednesday they had them as the last item on the menu at Fahlstrom's. I think the description under soft shell crabs says "Dave's seasoned, pan fried, cornbread shrimp stuffing, andouille sausage, poached eggs, hollandaise".

    Image

    Image

    For those who want to make them at home, they still had some beauties yesterday at Heinen's in Glenview:

    Image

    Image
  • Post #154 - May 13th, 2016, 10:40 am
    Post #154 - May 13th, 2016, 10:40 am Post #154 - May 13th, 2016, 10:40 am
    They have them at Restaurant Michael in Winnetka, for tonight's special ("Frito Misto of Crispy Tempura Softshell Crabs, Ramps & White Asparagus, Ginger-Lemongrass Thai Lobster Broth, Chinese Black Rice"). Reserve in advance if you want to make sure to get some.

    Has anyone had them at Dusek's? The sample dinner menu on their website currently shows "beer battered soft shell crab, ramps, green garbanzo, maitake mushrooms, yellow tomato conserva, soy caramel".

    nsxtasy wrote:For those who want to make them at home, they still had some beauties yesterday at Heinen's in Glenview

    Heinen's has them now, the first of the season, at "first of the season prices" ($9.99 each :( ). I'm sure the price will come down as the season goes on. But if you want them now, they have them.
  • Post #155 - May 13th, 2016, 2:21 pm
    Post #155 - May 13th, 2016, 2:21 pm Post #155 - May 13th, 2016, 2:21 pm
    Carnivore in Oak Park was advertising "Soft Shell Bahn Mis" yesterday:

    https://www.facebook.com/carnivoreoakpark/photos/a.224992881037017.1073741825.224584781077827/514021738800795/?type=3&theater
  • Post #156 - May 14th, 2016, 9:51 am
    Post #156 - May 14th, 2016, 9:51 am Post #156 - May 14th, 2016, 9:51 am
    My wife had the soft shell crab at Dusek's last night. She really enjoyed them, and I liked my one tiny taste. Tasty, crunchy batter.
  • Post #157 - May 14th, 2016, 10:13 am
    Post #157 - May 14th, 2016, 10:13 am Post #157 - May 14th, 2016, 10:13 am
    The Chicago branch of Shaw's Crab house had them on Tuesday, dusted with flour and pan sautéed. We had the happy hour oysters, soft shells, lobster rolls and a watercress and shaved asparagus salad, before seeing Neil deGrasse Tyson at the Chicago theater.

    Shaw's Crab House
    21 E Hubbard St.
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 527-2722
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #158 - May 15th, 2016, 7:35 am
    Post #158 - May 15th, 2016, 7:35 am Post #158 - May 15th, 2016, 7:35 am
    Like any other living animal, soft shells need to breathe, wrapping in plastic wrap will kill them as shown in the above picture.
    I only purchase out of the shipping box (flat) which contains a standardized 32 per box with natural material of some sort.
    They must move, which may take some time as below a certain temp, they go dormant. They must not be limp.
    Most of what I see for sale 'live' is in fact dead or pre-cleaned which means frozen before hand.
    Yesterday was going to go to Boston Fish Market where they initially told me they only had frozen and when I said no, I was told they had fresh 'Wales'.
    On my way I stopped at Fresh Farms Touhy and they had 4 dilapidated soft shells in the case. Told the fish monger, I wanted at least 12 and he initially reported only four more in the back. When he went to get some shrimp for me, he came back and said he had a 'flat' and then brought it out.
    Crabs were moving and beautiful. Took 12 @ 5.99/crab.
    Last year, they were less than $4.
    Anyway, they were as good as any I have ever had!-Richard
  • Post #159 - May 15th, 2016, 5:49 pm
    Post #159 - May 15th, 2016, 5:49 pm Post #159 - May 15th, 2016, 5:49 pm
    budrichard wrote:I only purchase out of the shipping box (flat) which contains a standardized 32 per box with natural material of some sort.


    The number of soft-shells per tray varies by size and by producer.

    Thursday, I bought a box of 18 Jumbo's from Wabash Seafood.

    This coming Wednesday, we have 10 dozen Whales coming in from Wabash for a Club function.

    Bill Dugan from Superior Ocean is selling next week:
    Live Jumbos, 3 dz. per tray and Live Primes, 4 dz per tray.
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #160 - May 15th, 2016, 11:05 pm
    Post #160 - May 15th, 2016, 11:05 pm Post #160 - May 15th, 2016, 11:05 pm
    budrichard wrote:Like any other living animal, soft shells need to breathe, wrapping in plastic wrap will kill them as shown in the above picture.

    FWIW, the above picture shows them as I took them home from Heinen's. You will NOT find them on a shelf that way, i.e. pre-packaged. They have them live at the store. When you buy them, they clean them and put them in the plastic packaging for you at that time. So it's up to you what to do with them. You can bring them home and eat them right away. Or, I suppose you could buy them live if you have the ability to transport them that way and you don't mind cleaning them yourself.
  • Post #161 - May 16th, 2016, 4:06 am
    Post #161 - May 16th, 2016, 4:06 am Post #161 - May 16th, 2016, 4:06 am
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    budrichard wrote:I only purchase out of the shipping box (flat) which contains a standardized 32 per box with natural material of some sort.


    The number of soft-shells per tray varies by size and by producer.

    Thursday, I bought a box of 18 Jumbo's from Wabash Seafood.

    This coming Wednesday, we have 10 dozen Whales coming in from Wabash for a Club function.

    Bill Dugan from Superior Ocean is selling next week:
    Live Jumbos, 3 dz. per tray and Live Primes, 4 dz per tray.


    I Certainly don't doubt how you receive them but in my lifetime, I have only seen them in 36 to the flat, 18 to a side.-Richard
  • Post #162 - May 16th, 2016, 4:11 am
    Post #162 - May 16th, 2016, 4:11 am Post #162 - May 16th, 2016, 4:11 am
    nsxtasy wrote:
    budrichard wrote:Like any other living animal, soft shells need to breathe, wrapping in plastic wrap will kill them as shown in the above picture.

    FWIW, the above picture shows them as I took them home from Heinen's. You will NOT find them on a shelf that way, i.e. pre-packaged. They have them live at the store. When you buy them, they clean them and put them in the plastic packaging for you at that time. So it's up to you what to do with them. You can bring them home and eat them right away. Or, I suppose you could buy them live if you have the ability to transport them that way and you don't mind cleaning them yourself.


    They are very simple to clean.
    The advantage to cleaning them yourself is that they start losing fluids the moment you clean them, the amount is substantial and the sooner you can get them into the pan, the plumper your soft shell will be.
    I carry a large cooler with me, ask for ice and assure that they can breathe while transporting them live and storing them.
    -Richard
  • Post #163 - May 16th, 2016, 6:13 am
    Post #163 - May 16th, 2016, 6:13 am Post #163 - May 16th, 2016, 6:13 am
    some real high quality one upmanship ITT
  • Post #164 - May 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm
    Post #164 - May 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm Post #164 - May 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm
    Big & Little's makes a great soft shell crab po boy.

    CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #165 - May 19th, 2016, 8:41 pm
    Post #165 - May 19th, 2016, 8:41 pm Post #165 - May 19th, 2016, 8:41 pm
    FYI:

    Image
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #166 - May 19th, 2016, 8:47 pm
    Post #166 - May 19th, 2016, 8:47 pm Post #166 - May 19th, 2016, 8:47 pm
    Image
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #167 - May 20th, 2016, 12:30 am
    Post #167 - May 20th, 2016, 12:30 am Post #167 - May 20th, 2016, 12:30 am
    sweet
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #168 - May 21st, 2016, 4:52 am
    Post #168 - May 21st, 2016, 4:52 am Post #168 - May 21st, 2016, 4:52 am
    "Beautiful Swimmers" to steal a phrase from an award winning book about these creatures and the Chesapeake Bay!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Swimmers
    A must read for lovers of this creature!-Richard
  • Post #169 - May 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am
    Post #169 - May 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am Post #169 - May 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am
    Dirk's has Chesapeake Bay soft shells in their shop now. The ones I saw had straw around their bodies. I can not tell you anything else about them.
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #170 - May 22nd, 2016, 2:37 pm
    Post #170 - May 22nd, 2016, 2:37 pm Post #170 - May 22nd, 2016, 2:37 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Heinen's has them now, the first of the season, at "first of the season prices" ($9.99 each :( ). I'm sure the price will come down as the season goes on.

    Now $6.99 each.
  • Post #171 - May 24th, 2016, 8:59 am
    Post #171 - May 24th, 2016, 8:59 am Post #171 - May 24th, 2016, 8:59 am
    Boston Fish Market is serving what appear to be Jumbos for $28.99 for four beauties sauteed in butter and garlic. I'm not sure what the raw price is, if you're taking them home.

    Image
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #172 - May 25th, 2016, 5:47 pm
    Post #172 - May 25th, 2016, 5:47 pm Post #172 - May 25th, 2016, 5:47 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:Big & Little's makes a great soft shell crab po boy.

    CSD
    They do it yr round so suspect they're frozen.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #173 - May 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm
    Post #173 - May 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm Post #173 - May 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm
    Once again Go4Food's salt and pepper soft shells are available, I think this is my favorite prep. Last night there was a large group of about 10 guys at the front round table, Milo said they came in once a year and ordered 20-25 orders of soft shells, plus some sides, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. :wink:
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #174 - May 27th, 2016, 1:10 pm
    Post #174 - May 27th, 2016, 1:10 pm Post #174 - May 27th, 2016, 1:10 pm
    Hi mbh!

    Thanks for the report. Not criticizing Milo here...but every Seafood Distributor in Chicagoland has brought in live soft shells 1,2 3 times per week for about the last month. At the start of the peak season (these critters only molt when water temperature is warmer than 70F), they pretty much have to be pre-ordered. Now, everybody's got 'em.

    I respectfully suggest that his "Only come in once a year" is a sales "schtick."
    (They are also more cost effective at this time.) The actual once a year is normally between Late May/Early June, and Late Aug/Early Sept.

    They also stop molting and become even more fragile under excessive heatwaves.

    Sorry for butting in. Just my $0.02. Hope to see you soon at the Club mbh. Will you be attending next month's Ascot Ball?

    Take care,

    ER

    Jazzfood is spot on regarding Big/Little.
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #175 - May 27th, 2016, 1:18 pm
    Post #175 - May 27th, 2016, 1:18 pm Post #175 - May 27th, 2016, 1:18 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    I respectfully suggest that his "Only come in once a year" is a sales "schtick."


    I was interpreting it as that the group of 10 guys comes in once a year, ostensibly to go crab-wild.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #176 - May 27th, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Post #176 - May 27th, 2016, 1:34 pm Post #176 - May 27th, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Kman wrote:
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    I respectfully suggest that his "Only come in once a year" is a sales "schtick."


    I was interpreting it as that the group of 10 guys comes in once a year, ostensibly to go crab-wild.


    Correct (I was fortunate to be there last night as well!!)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #177 - May 27th, 2016, 1:41 pm
    Post #177 - May 27th, 2016, 1:41 pm Post #177 - May 27th, 2016, 1:41 pm
    Thanks for the correction. As usual, multitasking got the better of me.

    Or perhaps it was just another "Senior Moment."

    After more closely rereading, I now actually "get it!"

    ER
    "Bass Trombone is the Lead Trumpet of the Deep."
    Rick Hammett
  • Post #178 - May 28th, 2016, 12:10 pm
    Post #178 - May 28th, 2016, 12:10 pm Post #178 - May 28th, 2016, 12:10 pm
    This weekend, we're running a special:
    Nashville Hot softshell crab sandwich: brioche bun, smoked paprika aioli, vinegar slaw, bread and butter pickles.
    Image

    The Budlong
    2928 N Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60657
    www.thebudlong.com
    773 270 9005
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #179 - May 28th, 2016, 12:35 pm
    Post #179 - May 28th, 2016, 12:35 pm Post #179 - May 28th, 2016, 12:35 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:Nashville Hot softshell crab sandwich

    That looks Fantastic! If hadn't just eaten soft shell crab on an English muffin for lunch I'd run right over!

    Soft Shell Crab on English muffin = lunch

    Image
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #180 - May 28th, 2016, 12:47 pm
    Post #180 - May 28th, 2016, 12:47 pm Post #180 - May 28th, 2016, 12:47 pm
    Dear God! I can't run over today, will you have it tomorrow also?


    rubbbqco wrote:This weekend, we're running a special:
    Nashville Hot softshell crab sandwich: brioche bun, smoked paprika aioli, vinegar slaw, bread and butter pickles.
    Image

    The Budlong
    2928 N Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60657
    http://www.thebudlong.com
    773 270 9005
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more