LTH Home

McDonald's 1/3 lb. Angus Burger

McDonald's 1/3 lb. Angus Burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - July 27th, 2009, 9:40 am
    Post #121 - July 27th, 2009, 9:40 am Post #121 - July 27th, 2009, 9:40 am
    My experience with the Angus Burger was unremarkable. Even though I was starving when I got to McD's, I barely ate half of it. There was nothing special about the taste. I much prefer a 1/4 lbr with cheese or the double cheeseburger.

It was so unremarkable that I cannot honestly recall anything about it that stood out. . . which puts it on par with the Burger King angus burger in my opinion.
  • Post #122 - September 18th, 2020, 7:38 pm
    Post #122 - September 18th, 2020, 7:38 pm Post #122 - September 18th, 2020, 7:38 pm
    Hi,

I realize what I am about to state will cause eyes to roll. That's ok, because I am sure I have had the same response to something you said at some point.

In the last week, I have seen rumors about the McD's Steak, Egg, Cheese on a bagel breakfast sandwich. Generally the rumor was this sandwich was withdrawn forever from the menu.

I was not especially excited about this, because for the last six months McD's has had a reduced menu. Something I have read has pleased the location owners who manage their operations.

Apparently the demise of this sandwich was overrated and it is coming back online. Yay!

Fortunately any eye rolling is invisible to me from sitting here.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #123 - September 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm
    Post #123 - September 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm Post #123 - September 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I realize what I am about to state will cause eyes to roll. That's ok, because I am sure I have had the same response to something you said at some point.

In the last week, I have seen rumors about the McD's Steak, Egg, Cheese on a bagel breakfast sandwich. Generally the rumor was this sandwich was withdrawn forever from the menu.

I was not especially excited about this, because for the last six months McD's has had a reduced menu. Something I have read has pleased the location owners who manage their operations.

Apparently the demise of this sandwich was overrated and it is coming back online. Yay!

I'm a fan of McD's sausage mcmuffin with egg. That's pretty much the only item I ever order there and pre-pandemic I'd get them once or twice a month. But I almost never did this at breakfast time because I generally don't eat until lunchtime. So, it was usually a lunchtime order. But with the pandemic, and their limited menus, last I checked, McD's is no longer serving breakfast all-day. So, I haven't had one in months. I can't say I've really missed them because working from home during the week allows me to cook what I want, including breakfast sandwiches. But I am looking forward to getting them again at an hour that makes sense for me. I suppose that even the ability to do so will indicate that we're returning to some sort of normal.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #124 - September 24th, 2020, 11:58 pm
    Post #124 - September 24th, 2020, 11:58 pm Post #124 - September 24th, 2020, 11:58 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I realize what I am about to state will cause eyes to roll. That's ok, because I am sure I have had the same response to something you said at some point.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I was quite surprised to see a big window sign for it when I made a coffee stop at a McDonald's off of I-95 near the VA/NC border. I had already had Bojangles for breakfast an hour earlier, so I did not indulge.

No eye rolling here, that (minus egg) and two hash browns was a frequent winter breakfast when I would drive down 55 to the Loop for work and knew that I didn't want to go back outside for lunch nor get out of my car to get a better breakfast.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #125 - September 25th, 2020, 7:03 am
    Post #125 - September 25th, 2020, 7:03 am Post #125 - September 25th, 2020, 7:03 am
    Cathy2 wrote:In the last week, I have seen rumors about the McD's Steak, Egg, Cheese on a bagel breakfast sandwich.

Congratulations, you made I sale. I stopped at the drive-thru this morning on my way to the office. Totally "not bad." Bagel was 1980's-era Lenders - totally forgettable - but somehow it all worked. Would get it again.
  • Post #126 - September 25th, 2020, 10:03 am
    Post #126 - September 25th, 2020, 10:03 am Post #126 - September 25th, 2020, 10:03 am
    In these interesting times, I may have become addicted to breakfast at the golden arches. The app has a constant offer for $1 iced coffee. Combined with the 2 for $2 value menu of sausage mcmuffin (no egg) and hash brown, that's breakfast for under $3.50, which is less than the price of just the coffee at some other places.

Also gets me out of the house for a brief morning drive.
  • Post #127 - September 25th, 2020, 10:48 am
    Post #127 - September 25th, 2020, 10:48 am Post #127 - September 25th, 2020, 10:48 am
    I've been a fan of the Steak, Egg & Cheese Bagel for many years. I'll need to go grab one, lest it leave the menu, again. I will say I usually order something else with it (like an Egg McMuffin) because 1 out of 3 times the steak tastes old and it is inedible.
  • Post #128 - September 25th, 2020, 11:10 am
    Post #128 - September 25th, 2020, 11:10 am Post #128 - September 25th, 2020, 11:10 am
    The Spicy McNuggets are delicious.

Don't take my word, take the word of Bill Oakley, writer of classic Simpson's skit "Steamed Hams."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_gqomQIx0
  • Post #129 - September 25th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    Post #129 - September 25th, 2020, 2:10 pm Post #129 - September 25th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    I'm also a fan of that Steak Egg Cheese bagel. I've been a fan so long that I remember when they switched to the current cardboard bagel, they used to be FAR better, AND, they used to plop a fat dollop of some kind of buttery emulsion on top of those things. I ruined TWO ties on my way to work eating those things back in the day. Now I'm tryna remember the last time I wore a tie to work - has to be going on 10 years.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #130 - September 27th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    Post #130 - September 27th, 2020, 2:00 pm Post #130 - September 27th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    I've already expressed my high opinion of the genius of food engineering that is the Egg McMuffin, but I'm generally a fan of all muffin, biscuit, and bagel sandwiches at McD's, Burger King, and elsewhere. Maybe the bagel options the least of the three, because you have to bite so hard into them to get through the bagel that the other ingredients are more likely to squish out. Nonetheless, I welcome the news that the steak, egg, and cheese bagel is back on the menu and see myself stopping by the McD's in Highwood sometime soon to pick one up.

p.s., just listened to an old episode of the Feed (Dolinksy and Bayless) podcast on fried chicken, and I'm wondering, do any of the big chains (adding KFC and Popeyes into the query) have a fried chicken-on-a-biscuit sandwich on the menu?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #131 - September 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm
    Post #131 - September 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm Post #131 - September 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm
    Katie wrote:do any of the big chains (adding KFC and Popeyes into the query) have a fried chicken-on-a-biscuit sandwich on the menu?

Chick-fil-A has an absolutely delicious chicken biscuit on the breakfast menu.
  • Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm Post #132 - September 27th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    lsher wrote:
    Katie wrote:do any of the big chains (adding KFC and Popeyes into the query) have a fried chicken-on-a-biscuit sandwich on the menu?

Chick-fil-A has an absolutely delicious chicken biscuit on the breakfast menu.
    The chicken biscuit is my favorite thing at Chick-fil-A by far. I would love for it to be available all day.

I also think Popeye's is missing a HUGE opportunity with their new sandwich. They should serve it on a large biscuit (unless they feel the biscuit would fall apart). I liked Popeye's sandwich, but I don't like it more than their chicken on the bone. However - that sandwich on a biscuit? I'm in.
  • Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 8:40 am
    Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 8:40 am Post #133 - September 28th, 2020, 8:40 am
    Hi,

Most of us think we gave gone downstate, when we are south of Cook County.

When I went to Master Gardner meetings, I learned where Charleston or Casey is located is central Illinois. Where we are is up north. You need to go south of Springfield before you are really physically downstate.

Relative to New York, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #134 - September 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm
    Post #134 - September 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm Post #134 - September 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Where we are is up north. You need to go south of Springfield before you are really physically downstate.

Relative to New York, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Now go down to Harbin and Pope counties, in the Shawnee National Forest, and you're really in the middle of nowhere. The big attractions (Garden of the Gods, Bell Smith Springs) might have a hundred cars parked on the weekend [probably more without the 'rona], but otherwise it's dead. There are no chain stores other than Dollar General, there are no restaurants. It's a good place to find a bar and grill, bad place to find farm-to-table, even though everything out there is farms.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #135 - September 29th, 2020, 2:01 am
    Post #135 - September 29th, 2020, 2:01 am Post #135 - September 29th, 2020, 2:01 am
    When I was young and could afford the quarter cup of grease, the sausage egg biscuit was the only fast food breakfast anywhere that I would eat. The bagels and "crossaints" should have been felonies based upon "appelation controllee". McDonalds' English muffins were possibly passable, but excess grease adversely affected the flavor.

The only food created by McDonalds is their french fries...taken home, salt rinsed off, placed on paper towels and microwaved till brown and crunchy. And I get to throw away the completely grease soaked paper towels, imagining it is nearly all the fat, though in reality, maybe only a little. I have not found any other homemade fresh potato, frozen prepared or other fast food french fry that works as well for this, my guess is that the factory prepared frozen fries are more thoroughly saturated with fat than any others. Not that searching is a high priority, I've only attempted when I had kids who had leftover fries from fast food or doggie bags.

A similar trick for the ONLY hot dogs I enjoy....the cheapest Aldi ones. They puff up to the diameter of a Polish sausage, and become light and airy, almost like merengue. Other brands, cheap or not, just become hard and tough, or just burn. I assume it is partly a high fat content, which again, goes out with the paper towels. Note, I am not including these fancy no-nitrite hot dog shaped sausages infused with basil and exotic cheese as "hot dogs", some of them are passable when at a sufficiently reduced price.

Note that it is several years since I have had either of the above treats.... I know they still are not healthy.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #136 - October 8th, 2020, 9:17 am
    Post #136 - October 8th, 2020, 9:17 am Post #136 - October 8th, 2020, 9:17 am
    No more midday Egg McMuffins? McDonald’s weighs the return of all-day breakfast

at chicagotribune.com, Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz wrote:All-day breakfast was a major hit for fans of McDonald’s and a major headache for franchisees.

As the fast-food giant weighs whether to bring it back from its pandemic hiatus, one fact has recently become apparent: The company doesn’t need to offer round-the-clock McGriddles and Egg McMuffins to grow sales.

Chicago-based McDonald’s on Thursday said sales in U.S. restaurants open at least 13 months grew 4.6% during the three months that ended in September, exceeding Wall Street’s expectations and a sharp reversal from the 8.7% decline that occurred during the previous quarter.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #137 - October 8th, 2020, 11:38 am
    Post #137 - October 8th, 2020, 11:38 am Post #137 - October 8th, 2020, 11:38 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:No more midday Egg McMuffins? McDonald’s weighs the return of all-day breakfast

at chicagotribune.com, Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz wrote:All-day breakfast was a major hit for fans of McDonald’s and a major headache for franchisees.

That's a shame, the $1 sausage biscuit couldn't be beat in terms of bang for the buck.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #138 - October 18th, 2020, 2:51 pm
    Post #138 - October 18th, 2020, 2:51 pm Post #138 - October 18th, 2020, 2:51 pm
    I don't eat McDonald's food very often at all. My feelings about it range from mild enthusiasm (Egg McMuffin) to moderate disgust (McRib, Quarter Pounder). All the comments in this thread about the Steak, Egg & Cheese Bagel got me curious. I can't remember the last time I was actually looking forward to visiting McDonald's.

spinynorman99 wrote:Totally "not bad."

Exactly what I thought.

seebee wrote:I'm also a fan of that Steak Egg Cheese bagel. I've been a fan so long that I remember when they switched to the current cardboard bagel, they used to be FAR better, AND, they used to plop a fat dollop of some kind of buttery emulsion on top of those things.

Considered as a bagel, it's not good at all, but I think it works decently as a steak-holder. It appears the 'buttery emulsion' is still being used. Whatever it is, it fits in pretty well without calling attention to itself.

With tax, the sandwich came to about $6, which strikes me as somewhat high by McD standards. The Egg McMuffin remains my favorite McDonald's item, but the SE&CB is probably #2.
  • Post #139 - October 18th, 2020, 3:43 pm
    Post #139 - October 18th, 2020, 3:43 pm Post #139 - October 18th, 2020, 3:43 pm
    Don't sleep on cashing in on your receipt.

If you fill out their online survey, you get a code for 2-for-1 sandwiches.

I don't mind even re-heated egg mcmuffin.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide