LTH Home

Looking for Chicken Fried Steak

Looking for Chicken Fried Steak
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Looking for Chicken Fried Steak

Post #1 - August 8th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Post #1 - August 8th, 2009, 9:41 am Post #1 - August 8th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Wife and I are moving out of the country soon and I've compiled a list of things to eat before the move. Most of my items are easy to find but there's one I need some help on. Where is the best chicken fried steak in Chicago? This wasn't on my list but the other night I was watching Man vs. Food and they had some good looking chicken fried steak. As soon as the episode was over I put it on the list. Now, where to get it?
    Sal G
    Chi cerca trova.
  • Post #2 - August 8th, 2009, 11:23 am
    Post #2 - August 8th, 2009, 11:23 am Post #2 - August 8th, 2009, 11:23 am
    See previous thread
    ISO fantastic chicken fried steak w/ perfect gravy...

Good Luck, please let us know how it works out!
    “Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.”
    George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright (1856-1950)
  • Post #3 - August 8th, 2009, 11:59 am
    Post #3 - August 8th, 2009, 11:59 am Post #3 - August 8th, 2009, 11:59 am
    Thanks. I will let you know.
    Sal G
    Chi cerca trova.
  • Post #4 - January 4th, 2020, 9:48 am
    Post #4 - January 4th, 2020, 9:48 am Post #4 - January 4th, 2020, 9:48 am
    Never quite got the whole chicken fried steak thing. Sure, I've made/enjoyed/posted, a recipe for CFS marinating the jacquarded meat in pickled jalapenos, and now add minced habanero to the cream gravy thanks to a suggestion from Trixie-Pea, but that's not traditional, spicy as all get-out and even that I have not made in a decade.

That is until I had one in Texas, cliche I know, but damn if it wasn't delicious. My bride and friends all had slightly overwrought, yet quality meat/bun burgers, simple is best noted for next time, my CFS really shined. Fries were tasty, they were selling a sh*t-ton of wings and the atmosphere was lively. Pappas Burger is the offshoot of a high-end steak house.

PappasBurgers1.jpg CFS Pappas Burger. Cream gravy on side per request.

CFS, count me a Fan!

Pappas Burger
    5815 Westheimer Rd
    Houston, TX 77057
    https://pappasburger.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - January 4th, 2020, 3:49 pm
    Post #5 - January 4th, 2020, 3:49 pm Post #5 - January 4th, 2020, 3:49 pm
    Damn you Gary! Why are you posting CFS in the Chicagoland thread? :evil: I love CFS and I know it's basically nonexistent in the Chicagoland area (and I don't count the breakfast versions with sausage gravy). Smart to get the gravy on the side so you can still have some of it crunchy though it's not a big deal.

I'm always looking for Texas/Oklahoma style either "chicken fried" (deep fried, heavy breading) or "country fried" (pan fried, light breading) with a milk pepper gravy (no sausage). Must be served with mashed potatoes (topped with said gravy) and either corn or green beans. My brother is moving to the Dallas area soon, so he's going to probably be making me jealous with his CFS photos. Having been born and raised on the North Shore I have no idea where my love for CFS comes from. I never had it growing up, but it's like I always had.
  • Post #6 - October 9th, 2021, 11:43 am
    Post #6 - October 9th, 2021, 11:43 am Post #6 - October 9th, 2021, 11:43 am
    I am madly in love with CFS like you and now, because of the move, not only to another city but to another country, I have absolutely no opportunity to taste this divine taste of chicken. I put off this decision for a long time, but still, I don't like the food in the country north of ours.

So I decided to start making steaks myself. Now I have a few pans, a street grill, an indoor grill, and even an air fryer (how can I take this back?). I get a good chicken steak in a pan, but I found it easiest for me to grill chicken indoors. It is without smoke, it takes a maximum of 10-15 minutes and in addition to chicken, you can fry vegetables and much more there.

But I still want to get home asap and eat CFS again!! And, of course, to compare it with my chicken.
  • Post #7 - October 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm
    Post #7 - October 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm Post #7 - October 10th, 2021, 8:56 pm
    overtime wrote:I am madly in love with CFS like you and now, because of the move, not only to another city but to another country, I have absolutely no opportunity to taste this divine taste of chicken. I put off this decision for a long time, but still, I don't like the food in the country north of ours.
    I was able to get a great CFS in Oklahoma this past summer and last month I had a CFS biscuit sandwich with gravy from a Bojangles in Northern Virgina. When in Rome you look for it!

I find it extremely annoying that in Canada they can't serve a burger unless it's well done. I went to Simon's Prime Burgers in Windsor a few times and laughed when I saw they were mentioned in a top burgers of Canada list. I asked them, "You guys cook all your burgers well done - I know you like hockey but do you have to make your burgers like hockey pucks?!" They were truly embarrassed by that top list because they know it's a joke.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more