LTH Home

Mexican Hot Dogs on 26th Street

Mexican Hot Dogs on 26th Street
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - September 29th, 2012, 6:04 pm
    Post #31 - September 29th, 2012, 6:04 pm Post #31 - September 29th, 2012, 6:04 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:I knew that the hot dog at Mexican Delicias did not come with beans (thanks to this thread) but was excited anyways to try something what I thought would be close to the beloved Sonoran dog.

Despite the word Sonoran being used a few times in this thread, I don't think Delicias Mexicanas would describe their hot dogs con tocino that way.
    understood. I was simply stating that I hoped the Delicias Mexicanas would have some of the flavors I had enjoyed in Tucson, but as usual, I'm an eater, not a writer, so that probably wasn't clear.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #32 - January 6th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    Post #32 - January 6th, 2013, 1:03 pm Post #32 - January 6th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    I've been wanting to try the Mexican Bacon wrapped hot dogs and being that I'm in the Midway area I thought i'd try the Paco's dog's mentioned on the forum. I tried their "Asada" dog which was a Bacon wrapped Vienna Beef Dog topped with Grilled Onions, Jalapenos, Tomato, Mayo and Parmesan Cheese. I thought it was pretty great! I've been back a couple of times since then, on my way to work. They had 2 different versions of the bacon wrapped dog, the "Asada" one with the grilled onions and the "Guadalajara" one with the fresh onions (i guess that's how they make them in Guadalajara, MX i was told by the owners). I preferred the "Asada" one, but the "Guadalajara" one isn't bad either. I'm interested to eventually try the other dogs mentioned to see how it compares, although I'm a little turned off by the quality of the wiener described in the Delicias one, I'll give it a try.
  • Post #33 - January 6th, 2013, 7:09 pm
    Post #33 - January 6th, 2013, 7:09 pm Post #33 - January 6th, 2013, 7:09 pm
    Katy wrote:I tried their "Asada" dog which was a Bacon wrapped Vienna Beef Dog topped with Grilled Onions, Jalapenos, Tomato, Mayo and Parmesan Cheese. I thought it was pretty great!

Thanks for the report on Paco's. I don't think they offered the "Asada" variant when I was there. That combination sounds like it could work. No question their wieners are better than the ones Delicias uses.

Delicias Mexicanas has opened a second location at the corner of 27th & Trumbull, about a mile east of the original.

Delicias Mexicanas #2
    2700 S Trumbull Av
    Chicago
    773-522-5555
  • Post #34 - June 18th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    Post #34 - June 18th, 2013, 12:37 pm Post #34 - June 18th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    I just had to try the Perritos Mexicanas at Dona Torta on 26th Street. Three cheap hot dogs are filled with bacon and American cheese, wrapped in a corn tortilla and deep fried ($3.25). They come topped with HOT sauce and mustard. I was able to eat a couple of them and would maybe do so again after 365 days have passed.

A festival favorite in Mexico

As discussed above by Katy and Rene G the menu might have changed at Paco's on Kedzie. The looks of the place have. They got a little vibe going on inside and out now. I really like the place.

Hot Dogs con Tocino on Kedzie in Gage Park

The NC Vienna Beef bacon wrapped wieners worked well for me with the "Asada" toppings. For $2.99 with excellent fresh cut fries I thought the dog rocked. The fresh packed char grilled burgers looked and smelled really good so next time I might have to try one of those. Actually the young owner was rolling the dough for a pizza someone ordered and the carne asada fries cant be bad. I'll be back.

Image Image
    Sorry but I aint trying the Guadalajara...the Asada is awesome though

Dona Torta
    3331 W 26th St
    Chicago, IL 60623
    (773) 257-0000

Paco's
    5141 S Kedzie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60632
    (773) 912-6597
  • Post #35 - June 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm
    Post #35 - June 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm Post #35 - June 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm
    Da Beef wrote:I just had to try the Perritos Mexicanas at Dona Torta on 26th Street. Three cheap hot dogs are filled with bacon and American cheese, wrapped in a corn tortilla and deep fried ($3.25). They come topped with HOT sauce and mustard. I was able to eat a couple of them and would maybe do so again after 365 days have passed.

I think I might like them more than you. I ate 1.5 perritos mexicanos 139 days ago and am almost ready to do it again.

I'm really happy to see Doña Torta back in business and will try to post soon on what they do best. Discussion of perritos mexicanos at the old Doña Torta (and elsewhere) goes way back on this forum, for example this 2005 thread. Note that the price for a trio has actually gone down in eight years (I paid $3 five months ago though you no longer get the superfluous papas fritas).

Doña Torta
    3331 W 26th St
    Chicago
    773-257-0000
  • Post #36 - July 1st, 2013, 11:37 am
    Post #36 - July 1st, 2013, 11:37 am Post #36 - July 1st, 2013, 11:37 am
    Footnote to this discussion: at pride parade in San Francisco yesterday, saw many, many Mexican/Sonoran hot dog vendors -- in fact, these hotdogueros were the only kinds of street carts we saw. I had not noticed these carts on the streets prior to the event, though it is possible they congregated along Market on Sunday to serve rainbow-attired multitudes. Most seemed done right, with bacon-wrapped wieners cooking in foil-lined pools of grease.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #37 - July 1st, 2013, 11:48 am
    Post #37 - July 1st, 2013, 11:48 am Post #37 - July 1st, 2013, 11:48 am
    Burrito House at Lincoln and Addison is serving a rather orthodox Sonoran dog currently.
  • Post #38 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:25 pm
    Post #38 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:25 pm Post #38 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:25 pm
    JeffB wrote:Burrito House at Lincoln and Addison is serving a rather orthodox Sonoran dog currently.

Best Sonoran hot dog I've had, which is a little like being the most spry person at a 70th high school reunion. Good quality ingredients, bun/dog/mayo/freshness, but I'm not really a fan. Possibly my mistake was being sober. :)

Thanks for the reco Jeff B, it got me to try a place I've passed innumerable times, I'll be back for a taco or three.

Burrito House Sonoran Hot Dog

Last edited by G Wiv on July 3rd, 2013, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 pm
    Post #39 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 pm Post #39 - July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 pm
    Ahhhh...Burrito House. Lots of memories...
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more