LTH Home

Top Notch Beefburgers, or not?

Top Notch Beefburgers, or not?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 25th, 2012, 11:37 am
    Post #31 - October 25th, 2012, 11:37 am Post #31 - October 25th, 2012, 11:37 am
    Binko wrote:Wow, you either had an anomalous experience, or have different tastes in hamburgers than I do. Their 1/4 pounder is my favorite in Chicago, by far. (I even prefer it to Edzo's in Evanston.) Everything a good griddled fast-food style burger should be. I'm not as much a fan of their thicker burgers, though. Or, at least, I have other places I like to go to for that kind of burger. (I can't comment on the fries, as it's been years since I've ordered fries with a burger.)

What was it that you didn't like about the burger?

I've only tried their 1/4 pound burger on my first visit ever here about a year ago(and got a shake or malt of some sort that I'm forgetting), and really liked all aspects of my meal(helps that it reminds me of the griddled burger Edzo's serves). Not sure if it's better or worse, since I'd like to do at least 1-2 more repeat visits, to see how it compares to other burger places(and not just Edzo's) I really like. How come you didn't care for their 1/2 pound burger as much as their 1/4 lb. one, if it's okay I ask? Is it just because of how it tasted(or something as to how it was prepared), when you ordered it?

Funny That's-A-Burger was mentioned, since I totally forgot about that place till someone here mentioned it in an earlier post. And btw(in case it wasn't already mentioned here, and I couldn't tell for sure skimming through posts), the Oak Lawn Top Notch closed about a year or 2 ago.
  • Post #32 - October 26th, 2012, 8:22 am
    Post #32 - October 26th, 2012, 8:22 am Post #32 - October 26th, 2012, 8:22 am
    It's not so much that I don't like the 1/2 pounder--it's just that I go to Top Notch (or Edzo's or Phil's Last Stand) when I'm in the mood for thin griddled burgers (1/4 lb and under.) When I want something thicker, I like places like Lockdown or Goose Island for their Stilton burger (and wonderful selection of beers), or if I'm in the mood for an old-school greasy-ass Chicago tavern burger, I walk down the street to Illinois Bar & Grill. It's just a personal preference thing. For Top Notch's kind of burger, I prefer a double quarter pounder to a half pounder if I really want a lot of meat. (Well, I guess Illinois Bar & Grill is a bit of an exception, as the standard is a giant griddled patty --13 oz IIRC-- too. To be fair, though, it took me a little while to get charmed by that burger. I didn't much like it the first two or three times I had it. I still don't think it's particularly exceptional, but I love its greasy onioniness. I kind of grew up on Big Babies, and that grease, onion, and griddle flavor of this burger puts me in mind of them. They also have a 1/3 pound option which is what I'm more likely to get these days.)
  • Post #33 - November 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm
    Post #33 - November 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm Post #33 - November 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm
    Also posted in the Obits thread: from Eater (courtesy of Grub Street)--Diran J. Soulian, the owner of Top Notch Beef Burgers, passed away. RIP.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #34 - November 1st, 2012, 9:22 pm
    Post #34 - November 1st, 2012, 9:22 pm Post #34 - November 1st, 2012, 9:22 pm
    We went there a few years ago and we weren't terribly impressed, especially considering that it is not that convenient. If we want flattop-griddled burgers, we go to DMK or Bad Apple which are closer and serve a better product IMHO.
  • Post #35 - January 19th, 2013, 8:41 am
    Post #35 - January 19th, 2013, 8:41 am Post #35 - January 19th, 2013, 8:41 am
    It's been a while since I've been to Top Notch, so when the opportunity to join a friend there last week presented itself, I jumped at the chance.

Top Notch Beefburgers

I got there a little early, so I took the opportunity (after a quick stop at Jimmy Jamms to pick up some goodies for later) to try their homemade soup while I waited for my dining companion to arrive. The soup of the day was Beef Noodle. The soup was surprisingly good, with a clearly homemade beef stock and no cornstarch used for thickening.

Top Notch Beefburgers Beef Noodle Soup

This is the first time I've ever tried anything from the menu other than a cheeseburger and/or a malt. Since my companion had never been to Top Notch before, I let her order the "traditional" 1/4 lb. cheeseburger and I went rogue by ordering a patty melt.

Top Notch Cheeseburger

Top Notch Patty Melt

Burgers and fries were as good as ever, with the taste of tallow fries unmistakable and enjoyed by all. To my mind, the patty melt was very good, if a little over-cheesed. I'm glad I tried it, but I'll be sticking to cheeseburger from now on. My patty melt was accompanied by a Chocolate Banana Malt that really hit the spot.

Top Notch Chocolate-Banana Malt

It's nice to see that Top Notch is still a beacon of burger enjoyment in Beverly, and much deserving of its recently renewed GNR status.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - February 17th, 2014, 10:42 am
    Post #36 - February 17th, 2014, 10:42 am Post #36 - February 17th, 2014, 10:42 am
    Passed by Top Notch many times on 95th heading east en route to Loncars, Calumet, etc, and never stopped in... Finally righted a wrong and got in here on Sat. while taking a break from some shrimp shacks.

Really enjoyed our visit, great vanilla milkshake and pleasant service. Wife and Shay shared a 1/4 cheeseburger with fries,. I went with the patty melt. Patty melt was top notch,juicy beefy patty, plenty of griddled onions and cheese on some hearty rye.

One of the better burgers and patty melts I have had in a while.

• Post #37 - July 17th, 2020, 9:40 am
    Post #37 - July 17th, 2020, 9:40 am Post #37 - July 17th, 2020, 9:40 am
    Mr. X and I joined hundreds of other volunteers last Saturday delivering wellness kits to senior citizens through My Block, My Hood, My City. Our second stop was in Washington Heights so a hop, skip and a jump from Top Notch on 95th. This was Mr. X's first time. Carry-out only. We each had a quarter pound beefburger with cheese, one order of fries and split a large chocolate shake. It was as good as I remembered and Mr. X is now a fan. Happy we had a reason to get down there.
    -Mary
  • Post #38 - July 18th, 2020, 9:02 am
    Post #38 - July 18th, 2020, 9:02 am Post #38 - July 18th, 2020, 9:02 am
    I've only been to Top Notch once and it had to be close to 20 years ago or more (I'm sure I went because of a Pat Bruno recommendation in the Sun-Times). I'll have to get back there.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more