LTH Home

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 19 of 19 
  • Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    I live in the city and have always loved my infrequent trips up to Evanston to lower the boom on an Edzos double cheeseburger. I was a regular when they had a shop in Lincoln Park, so I was pretty excited they were opening a stall at Urbanspace in the Loop. But my trip was a dissippointment. Double cheeseburger was great. Garlic fries were weak. Not much garlic and seemed a bit stale. Also had a can of coke. There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.
  • Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm
    Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

I travel a lot. I can't tell you how many places I have encountered that have used Covid to justify raising prices and lowering service. This one is a extreme, but I will never pay for anything going forward that does not clearly tell me what they are charging and what that charge is for.

This is just plain stupid. Get your money now and loose your customers in the future. I have many places that I travel to that will never receive any more money from me ever.
  • Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27.

Perhaps the answer is implied, but did you ask if $27 was correct? I would have assumed they made a mistake and wanted them to explain.
  • Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

I went and got two tacos over the weekend from a neighborhood joint I typically really like. Not gonna name names at this point, but it's in the Lincoln Square/North center/ Lakeview area.

Two tacos, which weren't all that big, we're $13. No chips, no sides, no soda. And after tipping the workers a couple bucks, two small tacos were $15.

Now, in their defense (sort of), I added cheese, sour cream, and avocado... But these tacos were not overflowing with anything.

Food is fucking expensive now.
  • Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:I live in the city and have always loved my infrequent trips up to Evanston to lower the boom on an Edzos double cheeseburger. I was a regular when they had a shop in Lincoln Park, so I was pretty excited they were opening a stall at Urbanspace in the Loop. But my trip was a dissippointment. Double cheeseburger was great. Garlic fries were weak. Not much garlic and seemed a bit stale. Also had a can of coke. There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

My guess is that the prices were so high because instead of cooking on site, they have it Grubhubbed from Evanston.
  • Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am
    Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am
    scottsol wrote:My guess is that the prices were so high because instead of cooking on site, they have it Grubhubbed from Evanston.

This is a food hall, and the stalls all have the cooking equipment necessary to cook on site. To wit: when I passed by the Edzo stall on Friday, I spied a miniature version of its Evanston setup.

Some additional clarification:
    1) The Roberta's outlet is charging $20+ for a pizza; Bhoondi, which got hyped in Eater as offering South Indian grilling but really is just doing the same ol' Chipotle setup, is charging $17 for a small-ish lamb burger; Dokku is charging $15+ for donburi bowls.

2) The food hall ain't getting the volume. Granted, my sample was 8PM on Friday, but not a single person visited the Edzo's stall in my time there; there weren't many people in the hall, period. So it's entirely possible you got whatever was lying around unused that day.
  • Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Just returned from Urbanspace where I enjoyed a delicious Bee Sting pizza from Roberta's ($24.60 after tax). I stopped by the Edzo's stall and while they didn't have a menu or prices posted like some of the other stalls, they did have a stack of paper menus. A double cheeseburger costs $13 (single is $9), garlic fries are $8 and soda prices are not listed. But at Roberta's a can of coke was $3, so I assume it's similar at Edzo's. Apparently you were not overcharged, at least based on their listed prices.

Whether it was not close to a decent value is another story. They do also have a "dog, fries & drink special" for $13. Remember when Harry's used to do a similar special for $7? And that seemed expensive at the time! viewtopic.php?t=520&start=0
  • Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    jellob1976 wrote:

I went and got two tacos over the weekend from a neighborhood joint I typically really like. Not gonna name names at this point, but it's in the Lincoln Square/North center/ Lakeview area.

Two tacos, which weren't all that big, we're $13. No chips, no sides, no soda. And after tipping the workers a couple bucks, two small tacos were $15.

Now, in their defense (sort of), I added cheese, sour cream, and avocado... But these tacos were not overflowing with anything.

Food is fucking expensive now.

Location / rent may be a factor. At my go to -- Tacos El Norte in Highwood -- most tacos are still $2.50. Two tacos with a dinner upgrade (rice, beans, sour cream) are under $10, and make a nice lunch.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
    Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
    Pre-Covid some combination of my siblings and their spouses at lunch there almost every Saturday in the winter.

While we really like their food and value, the price never seemed consistent from 1 week to another. We would go up to the register and some number would be presented to us as a total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more