LTH Home

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 19 of 21
  • Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm Post #541 - October 4th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    I live in the city and have always loved my infrequent trips up to Evanston to lower the boom on an Edzos double cheeseburger. I was a regular when they had a shop in Lincoln Park, so I was pretty excited they were opening a stall at Urbanspace in the Loop. But my trip was a dissippointment. Double cheeseburger was great. Garlic fries were weak. Not much garlic and seemed a bit stale. Also had a can of coke. There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.
  • Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm
    Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm Post #542 - October 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

I travel a lot. I can't tell you how many places I have encountered that have used Covid to justify raising prices and lowering service. This one is a extreme, but I will never pay for anything going forward that does not clearly tell me what they are charging and what that charge is for.

This is just plain stupid. Get your money now and loose your customers in the future. I have many places that I travel to that will never receive any more money from me ever.
  • Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #543 - October 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27.

Perhaps the answer is implied, but did you ask if $27 was correct? I would have assumed they made a mistake and wanted them to explain.
  • Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm Post #544 - October 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

I went and got two tacos over the weekend from a neighborhood joint I typically really like. Not gonna name names at this point, but it's in the Lincoln Square/North center/ Lakeview area.

Two tacos, which weren't all that big, we're $13. No chips, no sides, no soda. And after tipping the workers a couple bucks, two small tacos were $15.

Now, in their defense (sort of), I added cheese, sour cream, and avocado... But these tacos were not overflowing with anything.

Food is fucking expensive now.
  • Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm Post #545 - October 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Atrain53 wrote:I live in the city and have always loved my infrequent trips up to Evanston to lower the boom on an Edzos double cheeseburger. I was a regular when they had a shop in Lincoln Park, so I was pretty excited they were opening a stall at Urbanspace in the Loop. But my trip was a dissippointment. Double cheeseburger was great. Garlic fries were weak. Not much garlic and seemed a bit stale. Also had a can of coke. There were no menus posted so imagine my shock when I was told my Double cheeseburger, garlic fries and can of coke was $27. If that is what they are going to charge they should save themselves some time and close down.

My guess is that the prices were so high because instead of cooking on site, they have it Grubhubbed from Evanston.
  • Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am
    Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am Post #546 - October 5th, 2021, 7:14 am
    scottsol wrote:My guess is that the prices were so high because instead of cooking on site, they have it Grubhubbed from Evanston.

This is a food hall, and the stalls all have the cooking equipment necessary to cook on site. To wit: when I passed by the Edzo stall on Friday, I spied a miniature version of its Evanston setup.

Some additional clarification:
    1) The Roberta's outlet is charging $20+ for a pizza; Bhoondi, which got hyped in Eater as offering South Indian grilling but really is just doing the same ol' Chipotle setup, is charging $17 for a small-ish lamb burger; Dokku is charging $15+ for donburi bowls.

2) The food hall ain't getting the volume. Granted, my sample was 8PM on Friday, but not a single person visited the Edzo's stall in my time there; there weren't many people in the hall, period. So it's entirely possible you got whatever was lying around unused that day.
  • Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm Post #547 - October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Just returned from Urbanspace where I enjoyed a delicious Bee Sting pizza from Roberta's ($24.60 after tax). I stopped by the Edzo's stall and while they didn't have a menu or prices posted like some of the other stalls, they did have a stack of paper menus. A double cheeseburger costs $13 (single is $9), garlic fries are $8 and soda prices are not listed. But at Roberta's a can of coke was $3, so I assume it's similar at Edzo's. Apparently you were not overcharged, at least based on their listed prices.

Whether it was not close to a decent value is another story. They do also have a "dog, fries & drink special" for $13. Remember when Harry's used to do a similar special for $7? And that seemed expensive at the time! viewtopic.php?t=520&start=0
  • Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm Post #548 - October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    jellob1976 wrote:

I went and got two tacos over the weekend from a neighborhood joint I typically really like. Not gonna name names at this point, but it's in the Lincoln Square/North center/ Lakeview area.

Two tacos, which weren't all that big, we're $13. No chips, no sides, no soda. And after tipping the workers a couple bucks, two small tacos were $15.

Now, in their defense (sort of), I added cheese, sour cream, and avocado... But these tacos were not overflowing with anything.

Food is fucking expensive now.

Location / rent may be a factor. At my go to -- Tacos El Norte in Highwood -- most tacos are still $2.50. Two tacos with a dinner upgrade (rice, beans, sour cream) are under $10, and make a nice lunch.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
    Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm Post #549 - October 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
    Pre-Covid some combination of my siblings and their spouses at lunch there almost every Saturday in the winter.

While we really like their food and value, the price never seemed consistent from 1 week to another. We would go up to the register and some number would be presented to us as a total.
  • Post #550 - January 22nd, 2022, 1:53 pm
    Post #550 - January 22nd, 2022, 1:53 pm Post #550 - January 22nd, 2022, 1:53 pm
    Edzo's Evanston "closed temporarily". Their urbanspace food hall spot downtown is still open though. Pic of their statement taped to the papered over windows on their insta:

https://www.instagram.com/edzosburgershop/
  • Post #551 - May 13th, 2022, 1:31 pm
    Post #551 - May 13th, 2022, 1:31 pm Post #551 - May 13th, 2022, 1:31 pm
    Anyone have any intel on when/if the original spot is reopening? It's been four months.
  • Post #552 - May 17th, 2022, 8:48 pm
    Post #552 - May 17th, 2022, 8:48 pm Post #552 - May 17th, 2022, 8:48 pm
    cilantro wrote:Anyone have any intel on when/if the original spot is reopening? It's been four months.

I googled "Eddie Lakin" and found this article from February- says they were hoping to be open by late May...so any day now?

I really, truly hope this hiatus has given them a chance to regroup- the restaurant and the food. We want a return to the glory days!

ETA: Found Eddie's FB page (sorry for the stalking, Eddie!)- in February, he was looking for a good manager, and he said a couple weeks ago in a comment that they were hoping to be open by mid-summer.
  • Post #553 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:00 pm
    Post #553 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:00 pm Post #553 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:00 pm
    Edzo's Burger Shop Evanston facebook

We’re back! Soft open today, limited menu. Paper still on the windows and we are throttling customer flow, but if you’re nearby, come eat!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #554 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Post #554 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm Post #554 - September 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Just saw that post- hoping someone here was able to go, or will soon, and has good feedback to report!
  • Post #555 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:12 pm
    Post #555 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:12 pm Post #555 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:12 pm
    Great news, thanks!

Will check it out within a few weeks, a bit scared of getting throttled, though….
  • Post #556 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:42 pm
    Post #556 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:42 pm Post #556 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:42 pm
    cilantro wrote:Great news, thanks!

Will check it out within a few weeks, a bit scared of getting throttled, though….

Hehe . . . in certain situations, I'm guessing some people would probably pay extra for that! :lol:

Good news that they're reopening.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #557 - September 6th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    Post #557 - September 6th, 2022, 4:17 pm Post #557 - September 6th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    My daughter and I were able to go over the weekend. We have long been fans of Edzo's and Eddie, and we were thrilled to see they reopened. Some observations/updates:

- It's all ordering off your phone - scan the QR code, place the order on your phone, pay, and then it pops up on a computer in the kitchen
    - Once your food is done, they bring it out to your table (each QR code on the table corresponds with the table location)
    - Food took about the same time to come out (10 mins, with the shakes coming pretty quickly)
    - They've walled off most of the kitchen, given it a fresh coat of paint, etc. but you can still see the kitchen when you walk in
    - No more fountain sodas - canned drinks, and cups for water with a spigot to serve yourself
    - Most of the same menu items were available, and Eddie did share that by next week the menu should be at 100% (don't quote me on that)
    - Fries come in two sizes - small and large. We shared a large Angry Fries and left some over
    - Prices have increased - my single burger, my daughter's specialty burger (the 2x2 animal style), large fries, shake and a diet coke was about $35
    - Food was great, everything seemed fresh
    - Decent crowd with most people thanking Eddie for reopening, still some kinks to be worked out, but that's obviously expected after switching over to a new ordering system
    - Also said the Burgers of the Month will be making a return

Wishing Eddie and Edzo's the best of luck!
  • Post #558 - September 7th, 2022, 7:02 am
    Post #558 - September 7th, 2022, 7:02 am Post #558 - September 7th, 2022, 7:02 am
    sloopman wrote:Wishing Eddie and Edzo's the best of luck!

If every restaurant owner was Eddie L we would not have to worry about Taco Bell taking over the hospitality industry.

Kudos to Edzo's, best of luck!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #559 - September 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm
    Post #559 - September 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm Post #559 - September 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm
    sloopman wrote:My daughter and I were able to go over the weekend. We have long been fans of Edzo's and Eddie, and we were thrilled to see they reopened. Some observations/updates:

- It's all ordering off your phone - scan the QR code, place the order on your phone, pay, and then it pops up on a computer in the kitchen
    - Once your food is done, they bring it out to your table (each QR code on the table corresponds with the table location)
    - Food took about the same time to come out (10 mins, with the shakes coming pretty quickly)
    - They've walled off most of the kitchen, given it a fresh coat of paint, etc. but you can still see the kitchen when you walk in
    - No more fountain sodas - canned drinks, and cups for water with a spigot to serve yourself
    - Most of the same menu items were available, and Eddie did share that by next week the menu should be at 100% (don't quote me on that)
    - Fries come in two sizes - small and large. We shared a large Angry Fries and left some over
    - Prices have increased - my single burger, my daughter's specialty burger (the 2x2 animal style), large fries, shake and a diet coke was about $35
    - Food was great, everything seemed fresh
    - Decent crowd with most people thanking Eddie for reopening, still some kinks to be worked out, but that's obviously expected after switching over to a new ordering system
    - Also said the Burgers of the Month will be making a return

Wishing Eddie and Edzo's the best of luck!

Have they refreshed the whole restaurant in general? That was one of my complaints from…last year? Whenever I was last there; there was a layer of grime all over, dead bugs…no bueno.

Looking forward to the wrinkles being ironed out and trying them again soon!
  • Post #560 - September 7th, 2022, 7:41 pm
    Post #560 - September 7th, 2022, 7:41 pm Post #560 - September 7th, 2022, 7:41 pm
    Yes restaurant was definitely cleaned up. Some new signs/kitschy stuff, some of the old stuff is still there but there absolutely a freshened up look to the space (flooring still the same, I think).
  • Post #561 - September 15th, 2022, 9:17 am
    Post #561 - September 15th, 2022, 9:17 am Post #561 - September 15th, 2022, 9:17 am
    I tried to go recently around 3:00 but they were closing down for the day. I understand they are going through a transition so I won't hold it against them. If you are thinking of going past 3:00 I would call ahead until things stabilize.
  • Post #562 - December 30th, 2022, 8:26 pm
    Post #562 - December 30th, 2022, 8:26 pm Post #562 - December 30th, 2022, 8:26 pm
    Learned via email today that there's now a gofundme for Edzo's.

=R=
  • Post #563 - December 31st, 2022, 2:09 pm
    Post #563 - December 31st, 2022, 2:09 pm Post #563 - December 31st, 2022, 2:09 pm
    I remember going here as a beta tester with the LTH crowd before Eddie actually opened to the public. I hope he makes it - it will be a loss for Evanston.

Maybe there is another thread on this, but I heard Al’s Deli also has a Go Fund Me. :-(
    Did you know there is an LTHforum Flickr group? I just found it...
  • Post #564 - December 31st, 2022, 2:18 pm
    Post #564 - December 31st, 2022, 2:18 pm Post #564 - December 31st, 2022, 2:18 pm
    ChgoMike wrote:I remember going here as a beta tester with the LTH crowd before Eddie actually opened to the public. I hope he makes it - it will be a loss for Evanston.

Maybe there is another thread on this, but I heard Al’s Deli also has a Go Fund Me. :-(

Yeah, that one was recently mentioned here.

=R=
  • Post #565 - December 31st, 2022, 2:32 pm
    Post #565 - December 31st, 2022, 2:32 pm Post #565 - December 31st, 2022, 2:32 pm
    It's all ordering off your phone - scan the QR code, place the order on your phone, pay, and then it pops up on a computer in the kitchen.

Does the above reply from another LTH member imply that Edzos has become cashless and does not take walk in cash orders? I would hope not as a business one should strive to make both cash and credit options available.
  • Post #566 - January 5th, 2023, 12:53 am
    Post #566 - January 5th, 2023, 12:53 am Post #566 - January 5th, 2023, 12:53 am
    Eddie posted a follow up on his gofundme page. He has raised about 85% of the $15,000 he has asked for.

He is still working on the exhaust hood issue. He installed a new fan last week to replace the one that died on him, but then that one shorted out to. He found some water in the conduit that was causing all this, and the problem should be fixed soon.

He is not offering in house dining at the present time. You go online and order it, and then pick it up.
  • Post #567 - January 9th, 2023, 12:38 am
    Post #567 - January 9th, 2023, 12:38 am Post #567 - January 9th, 2023, 12:38 am
    Edzo's has met their fundraising goal. Al's Deli has a ways to go. I know this is not food related, but the bookstore Bookends and Beginnings is relocating their book store in Evanston the end of January, and they have a gofundme fund to help deal with the expenses. The place that they are renting right now, was sold this last summer to somebody who wants to jack up their rent substantially, and they want to relocate to a more accessible location on Orrington with cheaper rent.
  • Post #568 - January 10th, 2023, 11:20 am
    Post #568 - January 10th, 2023, 11:20 am Post #568 - January 10th, 2023, 11:20 am
    Edzo's reopening post pandemic one would think that everything possible would be done
    in order to restore business to a reasonable level.
    Erratic hours, much higher prices and not accepting cash seem to work against that goal.
  • Post #569 - January 10th, 2023, 11:47 am
    Post #569 - January 10th, 2023, 11:47 am Post #569 - January 10th, 2023, 11:47 am
    jay2021 wrote:Edzo's reopening post pandemic one would think that everything possible would be done
    Erratic hours, much higher prices and not accepting cash seem to work against that goal.

Edzo's is not alone in facing staffing issues and higher costs. Can't fault them for that in my mind. It doesn't make sense to do "everything possible" if that won't sustain the business long term.
    -Mary
  • Post #570 - January 10th, 2023, 12:18 pm
    Post #570 - January 10th, 2023, 12:18 pm Post #570 - January 10th, 2023, 12:18 pm
    jay2021 wrote:Edzo's reopening post pandemic one would think that everything possible would be done

Erratic hours—guaranteed this isn’t “slacking”—it’s a direct result of the staffing and building/equipment issues.

Higher prices—seriously?? Supply and staffing costs increase and he shouldn’t increase prices? Righhhht…

Not accepting cash—not sure about the thought behind this but for a lot of places, it’s a safety issue.

Whatever…
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more