LTH Home

Best (steak) Burrito in Chicago

Best (steak) Burrito in Chicago
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - October 24th, 2009, 9:54 pm
    Post #31 - October 24th, 2009, 9:54 pm Post #31 - October 24th, 2009, 9:54 pm
    gleam wrote:
    Rhythmdoctor wrote:
    seebee wrote:I wonder though - indulge me - what are your favorite cuts of steak?

Filet and Ribeye.

Oh, you might just not be a skirt steak person. It tends to have a bit more chew than most cuts of beef, especially the ultra-tender (and bland, imo) filet.

I was wondering if rhythmdr was going to reply with "filet" for this very reason.
    I prefer much more beefy cuts. For my money, filet is pretty low on my list of favorites.

I'm still somewhat intrigued by Garcia's, however. Even though over the years, I have heard far more ppl say it's pretty horrible than people who are fans. I'll try to pop in when I'm in the area. A few steak tacos is not a heavy investment.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #32 - October 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm
    Post #32 - October 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm Post #32 - October 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm
    Rhythmdoctor wrote:Please tell me some of your favorites. There's not a whole lot in LS that I do like. Tank comes to mind as a like, drawing blanks right now, though.

Depends on how big your radius is, but: Spoon Thai, Nhu Lan, Tampopo, SSGS, Spacca Napoli, Aroy Thai, the Atlantic, Glenn's, Dorado, Sticky Rice, and almost everywhere on Kedzie near Lawrence. Not saying these places are better than Garcia's, but if I was in the neighborhood and had to choose, they'd be higher up on my list.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #33 - October 24th, 2009, 10:14 pm
    Post #33 - October 24th, 2009, 10:14 pm Post #33 - October 24th, 2009, 10:14 pm
    gleam wrote:
    Rhythmdoctor wrote:Please tell me some of your favorites. There's not a whole lot in LS that I do like. Tank comes to mind as a like, drawing blanks right now, though.

Depends on how big your radius is, but: Spoon Thai, Nhu Lan, Tampopo, SSGS, Spacca Napoli, Aroy Thai, the Atlantic, Glenn's, Dorado, Sticky Rice, and almost everywhere on Kedzie near Lawrence. Not saying these places are better than Garcia's, but if I was in the neighborhood and had to choose, they'd be higher up on my list.

I'll have to give Spacca another try - do they have a good flavorful and proportion of sauce? IIRC, that's that was the reason I didn't like it. As for the others, never been to any of them (what's SSGS?). For better or worse, I'm the type of guy that once I find something, I tend to over-do it until I'm sick of it, then kinda forget about it. But I thank you for providing me quite a few new places to try out. I'm basically Montrose/Western, fwiw. I avoid delivery, but do carry out often - I'm a fan of Noon O Kabab for good meat-heavy delivery food.

If you want a burrito my way (at Garcia's) - steak and lettuce only, occasionally avocado but I'm losing interest in their avocado, 5 red sauces (chunky pico di gallo style). The green sauce has no bite but others I know swear by it. The red sauce isn't great by any means, and as I've already noted, Asadas dark green sauce would be perfect on this burrito, but it trumps the green, IMO (others disagree). Their green sauce also has a tangier flavor which I think doesn't match well with the steak. Nice chattin'.
  • Post #34 - October 24th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    Post #34 - October 24th, 2009, 10:20 pm Post #34 - October 24th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    I don't want a burrito at all, to be honest. I still don't understand them, really. Maybe if the flour tortillas were better.

SSGS is San Soo Gab San, at Foster and Western. Easy bus ride, not too bad of a walk.

Spacca Napoli is neapolitan style. Not everyone likes neapolitan pizza.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #35 - October 26th, 2009, 8:31 pm
    Post #35 - October 26th, 2009, 8:31 pm Post #35 - October 26th, 2009, 8:31 pm
    Ok, I've officially been Asadafied! On top of that, I want to retract my persistance on the greatness of Garcia's. Maybe it's the fact that it was my first love here in Chicago. I'm not sure what skewed my taste buds but I had Garcia's last night with a friend and thought it tasted like dog food. I'm not kidding. The reason could be that it was not the 'original' Garcias since they are renovating - but I would imagine they still get their meat from the same distributor. My only explanation is that Garcia's was my first food love here in Chicago (been going there since 2001) and my perception was influenced by loyalty rather than quality food. Nonetheless, I have now realized the truth - Garcia's just ain't that good. It's certainly not even in the same ballpark as Las Asadas.

With that being said, I'd like to submit a formal apology to the poster(s) whom I challenged their taste in food. Clearly, I was the person who did not recognize the mediocrity of Garcia's steak burrito, however, I now see the light.

Peace people.
  • Post #36 - October 26th, 2009, 8:38 pm
    Post #36 - October 26th, 2009, 8:38 pm Post #36 - October 26th, 2009, 8:38 pm
    We've all been there, Rhythmdoctor.

An old favorite... try some new things... scratch one old favorite.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #37 - October 26th, 2009, 8:53 pm
    Post #37 - October 26th, 2009, 8:53 pm Post #37 - October 26th, 2009, 8:53 pm
    Marquee wrote:I agree with the other recs and would add Carmela's Taqueria at Broadway and Lawrence. I usually go for tacos, but the burritos are pretty solid. Very good al pastor.

Carmela's Taqueria
    1206 W Lawrence Ave
    (between Broadway St & Magnolia Ave)
    Chicago, IL 60640

(773) 275-5321

I love Carmela's and eat there at least once a week-the employees are SO nice, and they make guac AND chips to order every time! They do have Al Pastor on a spit, but for some reason it never gets charred. In fact, it seems like they purposefully shave off any partially cooked meat before it gets anywhere near the charred stage. Then its just sitting there until an order comes in, when they proceed to heat it up on the flat top. This results in an al pastor taco that is unappealingly chewy in texture with a spice coating that tastes undercooked. :( For this reason I stopped ordering the al pastor there. But I DO love the chips and guac! I wish someone could influence them to start fully cooking and charring the pork while it is still on the spit.
    Logan: Come on, everybody, wang chung tonight! What? Everybody, wang chung tonight! Wang chung, or I'll kick your ass!
  • Post #38 - October 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    Post #38 - October 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm Post #38 - October 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    Rhythmdoctor wrote:Ok, I've officially been Asadafied! On top of that, I want to retract my persistance on the greatness of Garcia's. Maybe it's the fact that it was my first love here in Chicago. I'm not sure what skewed my taste buds but I had Garcia's last night with a friend and thought it tasted like dog food.

I doubt there's one person who actively reads and/or participates in this forum who will not admit that our understanding of food has changed fundamentally (for the better) from the first day we logged-on until today, because of what we've learned and experienced as a direct result of that participation. I still love a White Castle, though! :P
  • Post #39 - October 25th, 2012, 8:19 pm
    Post #39 - October 25th, 2012, 8:19 pm Post #39 - October 25th, 2012, 8:19 pm
    I've always preferred tacos but been eating alot of burritos of late. I like La Palapita on Milwaukee alot but cant stand their cheapness with the salsa. I've always loved Taqueria Asadero and now I do more than ever because they can whip one up my style as good as if not better than La Palapita. Plus they ask you how many salsas you want when taking an order to go. I always order a burrito the same way whenever having one.

Steak Burrito w/ Cheese, Onion, Cilantro, Avocado and Rice inside

Taqueria El Asadero
    2213 West Montrose Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 583-5563
  • Post #40 - October 26th, 2012, 9:31 am
    Post #40 - October 26th, 2012, 9:31 am Post #40 - October 26th, 2012, 9:31 am
    I'm also a big fan of El Asadero (and defintitely not the only one in this forum.)
    Another option for you might be Las Asadas. I think if you ordered a "super steak burrito with no beans," you'd get exactly what you've described as your order from El Asadero. Asadero's salsa, is normally more consistent than Asada's for heat and flavor, but Las Asada's has a green (which is the inconsistent one, but can be really good,) and a Salsa Negra that is usually less hot but more flavorful. They char grill the steak as well. Just another option for you depending where you're at.

http://lasasadas.com/chicago-il-locations.htm
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #41 - October 26th, 2012, 11:01 am
    Post #41 - October 26th, 2012, 11:01 am Post #41 - October 26th, 2012, 11:01 am
    Really like Asadero and Carmela's. Used to always get Carmela's while waiting for the Lawrence bus. Lived near Asadero for about 18 mos. and miss it. (Among the many foods Hyde Park lacks, Mexican is high on the list.)
    I used to like the Uptown Fiesta Mexicana a lot (not specifically for steak burrito, but in general). Their snapper Veracruzana was for real. Their ceviche fresh and generously portioned. Their caldo de gallina was real grandma stuff. I never found the Lincoln Ave. site up to snuff, nor have I been to the Broadway loc. in a while. But it was a go-to place for me in the day. Expecially before their was a Carmela's.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #42 - October 27th, 2012, 3:12 pm
    Post #42 - October 27th, 2012, 3:12 pm Post #42 - October 27th, 2012, 3:12 pm
    Great steak burritos at Los Nopales. I'm 0-for just about everything I've tried at Garcia's.

Los Nopales
    4544 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
  • Post #43 - October 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm
    Post #43 - October 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm Post #43 - October 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm
    Love almost everything I ever had at Nopales, but never tried the steak burrito. That green salsa is completely addictive.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #44 - October 29th, 2012, 11:07 pm
    Post #44 - October 29th, 2012, 11:07 pm Post #44 - October 29th, 2012, 11:07 pm
    I have a fondness for the Steak and Mushroom burrito at...

Ino's
    7100 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park
    (708) 763-9571

Juicy, tasty. I always imagine the mushrooms give the burrito a French flair! :) Ooh La La!

Actually I have been ordering the beef (as in ground) and chorizo burritos lately. Always a bonus when the beef has some potatoes mixed in.

My latest goto place near work?

El Burrito Habanero
    1500 S State St, Lockport
    (815) 838-9199

Although I have had maybe the best Milanesa Torta I have ever had at...

Little John's
    1800 S State St, Lockport
    (815) 836-8995

Light and flaky breading, tender and flavorful meat, fresh, fresh bread and toppings.

A hot dog and beef place that was recently taken over by this Mexican Chef who has some mad skillz.

But then again I am rambling on... What was the topic again?

Not even in the Chicago area... Well Ino's is...

I'll bet that new chef at Little John's will make an awesome steak burrito!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #45 - November 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm
    Post #45 - November 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm Post #45 - November 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm
    It took me quite a few trips to Del Toro to try their steak burrito but I finally did after smelling one brought out for someone else. It's now what I've ordered on each previous visit. I've loved it each time. The steak is one nice hunk rolled into the perfectly toasted tortilla. The meat has zero to little resistance. I usually dont like beans in a steak burrito but the black beans in these paired with just a little bit of everything else still allowed the steak to shine. Add avocado for .75 cents and it'll set you back $5. Good stuff.

Burrito de Carne Asada from Del Toro in Pilsen

Del Toro
    2133 South Halsted Street
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (312) 733-7144
  • Post #46 - November 20th, 2012, 4:50 pm
    Post #46 - November 20th, 2012, 4:50 pm Post #46 - November 20th, 2012, 4:50 pm
    Da Beef wrote:I've always preferred tacos but been eating alot of burritos of late. I like La Palapita on Milwaukee alot but cant stand their cheapness with the salsa. I've always loved Taqueria Asadero and now I do more than ever because they can whip one up my style as good as if not better than La Palapita. Plus they ask you how many salsas you want when taking an order to go. I always order a burrito the same way whenever having one.

Steak Burrito w/ Cheese, Onion, Cilantro, Avocado and Rice inside

Taqueria El Asadero
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 583-5563

I can attest to their steak burritos, they're super tasty.
  • Post #47 - September 24th, 2015, 8:25 am
    Post #47 - September 24th, 2015, 8:25 am Post #47 - September 24th, 2015, 8:25 am
    Okay, It looks like it's been a while since we all looked at this vitally important subject- the best steak burrito in Chicagoland.

Any nominations?
  • Post #48 - September 24th, 2015, 8:46 am
    Post #48 - September 24th, 2015, 8:46 am Post #48 - September 24th, 2015, 8:46 am
    steak like carne asada?
  • Post #49 - September 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm
    Post #49 - September 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm Post #49 - September 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm
    Tyrgyzistan wrote:steak like carne asada?

Perhaps.
  • Post #50 - September 26th, 2015, 3:47 pm
    Post #50 - September 26th, 2015, 3:47 pm Post #50 - September 26th, 2015, 3:47 pm
    It took me a while to not order tacos, but I had a carne asada burrito at La Patron recently and I think I went back the next day for another...maybe I skipped a day.
  • Post #51 - September 26th, 2015, 5:06 pm
    Post #51 - September 26th, 2015, 5:06 pm Post #51 - September 26th, 2015, 5:06 pm
    ziggy wrote:It took me a while to not order tacos, but I had a carne asada burrito at La Patron recently and I think I went back the next day for another...maybe I skipped a day.

Do you mean L. Patron on Diversey, just west of California? Great stuff there.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #52 - September 26th, 2015, 7:36 pm
    Post #52 - September 26th, 2015, 7:36 pm Post #52 - September 26th, 2015, 7:36 pm
    Da Beef wrote: I've always preferred tacos but been eating alot of burritos of late. I like La Palapita on Milwaukee alot but cant stand their cheapness with the salsa. I've always loved Taqueria Asadero and now I do more than ever because they can whip one up my style as good as if not better than La Palapita. Plus they ask you how many salsas you want when taking an order to go. I always order a burrito the same way whenever having one.
    {image snipped to save bandwidth}
    Steak Burrito w/Cheese, Onion, Cilantro, Avocado, and Rice inside.
    Taqueria El Asadero
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 583-5563
    Amazingly, independently before reading this thread, I have decided to try the burrito @ Taqueria El Asadero Sunday afternoon, before going to karaoke @ Sidekicks. (Sidekicks' food is.. ehhh.) :lol:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: http://74.115.231.53/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #53 - September 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm
    Post #53 - September 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm Post #53 - September 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm
    Last I checked La Palapita was closed. I stopped going there a few years ago due to burnt rice and beans. For my money El Gordo is where I get my burritos. I usually get the chicken and chorizo burrito but the steak is pretty great too.

-Conor
  • Post #54 - September 28th, 2015, 5:17 pm
    Post #54 - September 28th, 2015, 5:17 pm Post #54 - September 28th, 2015, 5:17 pm
    ChicagoLAND. Not just within the city limits.

Las Asadas (either one in Des Plaines) is still spectacular on a good day, but there's not as much consistency as there had been a couple of years ago. Don't know if it's the heat- or lack thereof- of the jalapenos in that particular batch of salsa verde, or the quality of the beef, on any particular day. Also some of the grill guys seem better at it than others- tightly wrapped burritos with the goodies inside, well balanced. Others seem a bit careless. Could be the learning curve, though.

One thing both DP Asadas have now adopted is that wonderful salsa negra, originated by fellow la familia Espanoza operacion, La Pasadita. However again, some batches of the negra are better than others.

Happily I have found a little place near me in Algonquin, that has a decent steak burrito of more conventional means (fry table/grill, instead of direct fire). Algonquin Mexican Restaurant on IL-31 south of the very quaint downtown, offers decent, inexpensive fare, including steak burritos. As a side note, their Al Pastor is nums-nums as well.
  • Post #55 - September 28th, 2015, 6:25 pm
    Post #55 - September 28th, 2015, 6:25 pm Post #55 - September 28th, 2015, 6:25 pm
    That one at Del Toro Da Beef showed back in 2012 looks perfect. NO RICE!!!
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #56 - September 29th, 2015, 2:08 pm
    Post #56 - September 29th, 2015, 2:08 pm Post #56 - September 29th, 2015, 2:08 pm
    adipocere wrote:Okay, It looks like it's been a while since we all looked at this vitally important subject- the best steak burrito in Chicagoland.

Any nominations?

I'm still on board with Las Asadas, El Asadero, and Zacatacos - generally in that order of preference. I'm not the one to ask about beans and cheese and rice, though. I'm a minimalist type - (Depression Burrito?) Cilantro, onions, avocado, and salsa only for the most part for me.
  • Post #57 - September 30th, 2015, 3:30 pm
    Post #57 - September 30th, 2015, 3:30 pm Post #57 - September 30th, 2015, 3:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ziggy wrote:It took me a while to not order tacos, but I had a carne asada burrito at La Patron recently and I think I went back the next day for another...maybe I skipped a day.

Do you mean L. Patron on Diversey, just west of California? Great stuff there.

=R=

Yup, L' Patron. Knew it didn't look right when I was typing, but was in too much of a hurry to look it up.
  • Post #58 - October 10th, 2015, 3:09 am
    Post #58 - October 10th, 2015, 3:09 am Post #58 - October 10th, 2015, 3:09 am
    I did go to Taqueria el Asadero that Sunday.
    Here is the steak burrito. It was pre-cut in half. Image
    This is a solid burrito. It is worthy of consideration. The meat was tender. The salsa verde for it was spicy without being overpowering. It is also priced below average, particularly for Chicago's north side.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: http://74.115.231.53/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #59 - October 10th, 2015, 12:43 pm
    Post #59 - October 10th, 2015, 12:43 pm Post #59 - October 10th, 2015, 12:43 pm
    I could take or leave the rest of their menu items, but Pancho Pistolas at 31st and Union has the best steak burritos/tacos/bistec a la Mexicana/etc. I've had anywhere. The wife and I drive past who knows how many dozens if not hundreds of Mexican restaurants and taco shacks to get there, but we find it worth the trip.
  • Post #60 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:11 pm
    Post #60 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:11 pm Post #60 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:11 pm
    It’s with great sadness that I have to move on from La Pasadita. Having watched their prices steadily increase over the last year to the point that a Steak super burrito being $18.75 I just cannot justify going back. Need to expand the horizon.

What is everyone’s latest favorite steak burrito?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more