LTH Home

Wheeling - Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant

Wheeling - Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Wheeling - Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant

Post #1 - November 28th, 2009, 8:19 pm
    Post #1 - November 28th, 2009, 8:19 pm Post #1 - November 28th, 2009, 8:19 pm
    I thought I'd make a new topic because I haven't seen the Wheeling location discussed here. Although there's a topic about the Orland Park location, I figured folks convenient to Wheeling wouldn't bother opening a topic that says Orland Park in the title. So here goes a post about the Wheeling location.

We were out tasting wine today - there are numerous wineries and tasting rooms in the Chicago area - and we hit Cooper's Hawk in Wheeling last. We didn't know that they also had a restaurant, which is most of what this topic is about. Heck, we'd never been in the place, and didn't even know it was there, even though we had driven past the Westin behind it numerous times. Yes, it's right next door to the Westin with its three Rick Tramonto restaurants.

So we started with the wine tasting room, and found some really excellent wines there. Our favorites included their Malbec (red), Blanc de Blanc (sparkling), and Ice Wine (dessert), all of which were excellent, and also reasonably priced. Then we took a look at the restaurant menu, and everything sounded so good, we decided to have dinner while we were there.

To make a long story short, dinner was excellent. It started with their complimentary warm pretzel bread, which was the best version of this type of bread I've encountered. We also had a glass of the Malbec, which was a really generous size, a theme that continued through the meal. It was a bargain at $8. (In case you're wondering about how much markup they get, since they are selling their own wines... if you order a bottle of Malbec in the restaurant, it's $27.99, vs $19.99 if you buy it in their wine shop. A 40 percent markup over retail is much lower than most other restaurants charge. And that wine in a restaurant for $28 is a steal!)

We ordered two appetizers. The Mexican Drunken Shrimp ("shrimp wrapped in bacon and served in a tequila lime butter sauce with fresh guacamole") was very good. But the other appetizer was out of this world, just spectacular - it was the Sweet Chili Calamari ("tender rings of calamari, fried tempura style, and tossed in mango chili-ponzu sauce with a touch of spicy mayo"). These were cooked perfectly, with the calamari so tender that you couldn't tell where the thick tempura batter ended and the calamari part began. And the sauce was just heavenly. Very generous portion size, too. Recommended only for those who like spicy food, as it had a reasonable kick to it. Just an amazing dish.

One main was the Red Wine and Mustard Short Ribs, and these were excellent, very tasty, not overly fatty (as short ribs can sometimes be), and a nice portion size with three hunks of short ribs. The other was the Pistachio Crusted Grouper, which was also excellent and tasty, and cooked perfectly.

We were absolutely stuffed, too full to even consider dessert, and took some of our mains home. The portion sizes were large, so next time we would probably just split one appetizer (I'll be thinking about that calamari for quite a while).

Service (Mark B) was excellent. Decor is contemporary, with parts of the restaurant decorated by a wall of the winery's wine bottles and some of their decanters.

We look forward to returning in the near future, as there are a lot of other items that sound great, and we'll probably buy more wine there too!

Cooper's Hawk has other locations in South Barrington, Orland Park, and Burr Ridge. Here's the info on the Wheeling location:

Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant
    583 N Milwaukee Ave
    Wheeling, IL 60090
    847-215-1200
    http://www.coopershawkwinery.com
  • Post #2 - February 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    Post #2 - February 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm Post #2 - February 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    Coming to Morton Grove:
    6731 Dempster St
    Morton Grove, IL 60053
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide