LTH Home

Longman & Eagle - - Logan Square Gastropub

Longman & Eagle - - Logan Square Gastropub
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 10:46 am
    Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 10:46 am Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 10:46 am
    One small complaint - add fries to the afternoon snack menu! Or be consistent with the offerings.

Stopped by the L&E patio on Sunday afternoon with my parents and a friend. We only intended to have a cocktail and enjoy the afternoon. As my friend said hi to an acquaintance inside, Dad stopped by the table and asked if he could sample the fries. Of course, he was instantly addicted (beef fat, and all), and we sat down outside and ordered our round, while Dad asked for a plate of fries to snack on.....

As we were sitting on the patio - after 3 pm, we stayed there until a little bit after 4 - I saw the server bring out an order of fries to another table. Little bit of time goes by, our drink order arrives and then a little bit later, the server comes back to say that she was sorry, the fries are not offered on the - EXTREMELY limited snack menu.

Ok,they aren't on the menu, but why did another table get them during this so-called snack time? Not the server's fault, but they should really consider offering the fries and/or consistently following the time frame for this bar menu.

miss ellen
  • Post #62 - October 27th, 2010, 7:00 pm
    Post #62 - October 27th, 2010, 7:00 pm Post #62 - October 27th, 2010, 7:00 pm
    I met a friend over at Longman & Eagle Sunday . . . for brunch. We both enjoyed the meal. I had the tete de cochon egg sandwich, served open faced on sliced brioche, with arugula, pickled red onion, and a sunny side up hen egg, and a five-spice mustard sauce on the side. The sandwich was really good. The pork was very flavorful and had some nice crunchy bits, and mixed with the perfectly fried egg, brioche accompaniments and sauce, it was even better. My only complaint was with the brioche - sliced a little too thick and not toasted quite enough . . . minor complaints really. It was also served with the house potatoes which were basically roasted and seasoned potatoes - certainly tasty, but not particularly inspiring.

I also tasted the house made biscuits with sausage gravy. The gravy was thick, creamy and had a great sausage flavor. I would have preferred a little more black pepper in the gravy, but it was quite good as it was. The biscuits, while flaky, suffered from overworked dough, and were thus rather tough. Still tasty, but tough.

Service was certainly friendly, although a bit lackadaisical. That being said, I enjoyed L&E enough on my inaugural visit . . . really liked the look of the interior . . . and I look forward to returning for dinner. In fact, the dinner menu looks so damn good to me I don't know why I've yet to try it out (to be remedied soon).
  • Post #63 - December 15th, 2010, 11:21 am
    Post #63 - December 15th, 2010, 11:21 am Post #63 - December 15th, 2010, 11:21 am
    longman & eagle comes in at number 10 in gq's best new restaurants of 2010.
  • Post #64 - December 15th, 2010, 12:39 pm
    Post #64 - December 15th, 2010, 12:39 pm Post #64 - December 15th, 2010, 12:39 pm
    Went for brunch the day after Thanksgiving. Wife had the PBR breakfast (eggs, house-made sausage, potatoes) without PBR and a bloody mary. I had the roasted beet salad and a manhattan. My salad was delicious; a great mix of slightly bitter greens, sweet honey and beets, and a little bit of slow burn from the peppers. My wife commented that the bloody mary was really salty. Fortunately, she likes most things that way. But the house-made sausage on her plate was dry with a mealy texture.
  • Post #65 - January 9th, 2011, 6:59 pm
    Post #65 - January 9th, 2011, 6:59 pm Post #65 - January 9th, 2011, 6:59 pm
    mercy....!

Longman & Eagle was excellent yesterday for brunch. I am not typically a brunch guy(id rather eat lunch or dinner), but L & E's brunch is right up my alley. Lots of rich foods, dishes with runny egg yolk, etc. Menu was tough to choose from, the pork belly blt, the cochon and hen egg sandwich, the pbr breakfast.. Nope, went with the Peeky toe crab eggs benedict with the one hour egg, and old bay hollandaise... Holy crap, it was great.

But I skip to far ahead, the drink menu is extensive and impressive. I drank a small pour of Reble Yell bourbon - $3, and a can of PBR. Fancier bourbons and beers are on the menu for further exploration. Service was friendly, and knowledgebale. No wait at a litte after 11:00 when we arrived, packed by 12:30 or so when we left. Comfortable space, etc.

Back to the food, I had the breakfast potatoes that were offered with the benedict dish, as well as a side of Neuskie's bacon. Potaoes were great, large spears, perfectly cooked, and meaty enough for mopping up the plate. The bacon, a generous portion for $4, only just a little smokey for me, really smokey.. Perfectly cooked, meaty.

The Peeky toe crab benedict, magnificent, brilliant, etc. Tasty generous portion of crab, perfectly english muffin, the star of this dish is the one hour egg, I asked and was told it was a slow poached egg, the result of the slow poacking is a sliky, rich egg yolk, and an olamost meaty, but tender and supple white. The hollandaise brought the dish together. Just a great menu item, I could eat every day.

L & E, I love this place after 1 shot.

peeky toe crab benedict:

breakfast potatoes:

• Post #66 - January 9th, 2011, 9:06 pm
    Post #66 - January 9th, 2011, 9:06 pm Post #66 - January 9th, 2011, 9:06 pm
    Has anyone spent the night here yet? Rooms look nice.
  • Post #67 - January 10th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #67 - January 10th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #67 - January 10th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:Has anyone spent the night here yet? Rooms look nice.

I was there again last week (tete de cochon is still ethereal), and I chatted up one of the managers. He said the rooms as of now were still in the testing/friends & family stage. He said they hope to have the rooms open to the public by this weekend or next week.
  • Post #68 - January 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm
    Post #68 - January 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm Post #68 - January 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm
    My fiancee and I had our first visit to this place on Sunday. The bar atmosphere was wonderful -- crowded, but relaxed. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and it was no trouble to get a bartender's attention through the crowds while we waited (around 40 minutes, from 7:20-8:00 p.m.) to be seated. I could have tasted and compared $3 whiskey shots all night (and maybe just should have).

The front of house staff were exceedingly nice to us, apologizing us for what we took to be a standard wait, even for a two-top. But our server, whose demeanor was cold and wooden, confused us. When we asked about starting with a 'snack' and a small plate before deciding what to move on to next, he insisted that the chefs prefer to have the entire order at once, for some reason that sounded like the following: so they know how to properly pace the meal.

Well, we understood that it was a full and fast-paced service and that maybe the chefs, for our sake, wanted to know how long to wait on our bigger dishes so that we could spend time enjoying the starters. So we acquiesced a bit and ordered, along with our starters, a salad that we wanted to have some time after the snack and small plate. Now, I understand that the staff may perceive the salad offerings as on a par with other starters that diners usually prefer to have as a first course before moving on to entrees; and we did not make it clear that we might have gone on to just order another small plate or salad in lieu of an entree, for our final bit of food for the evening. But still, all three dishes we ordered were on our table in less than five minutes, leaving us perplexed and frustrating our prospects of lingering just a bit over a more manageable two starter dishes. When our server returned, I told him that, given the fully-laden state of our table, I didn't quite understand his claim to be concerned about 'pacing.' He fumbled a riposte, concluding with, "I did this for a reason." But the only reason I could come up with is that he wanted to turn us over within the half hour. So I left feeling rushed and brushed aside as a patron, or else mistakenly treated as if we were a much larger party intent on ordering several more dishes than we could, or cared to, eat. I wondered whether, had we ordered an entree along with everything else, it would have arrived at our table within that brief, five-minute window of pre-meal chat and anticipation (and with nowhere to sit on our packed tabletop!), or whether the concern for 'pacing' pertained only to the entree timing and not to the other categories of orderable dishes. I also left wondering whether our server just misunderstood our intentions or whether he cared more about making things easy on the line than about giving his diners their way.

I will definitely be back, though, to drink some more and to try that sloppy joe!
    pizza fun
  • Post #69 - January 19th, 2011, 6:06 pm
    Post #69 - January 19th, 2011, 6:06 pm Post #69 - January 19th, 2011, 6:06 pm
    Bruce from Longman & Eagle back from the lurk.
    Not too happy about the server with the “cold and wooden demeanor” (let me know if you feel like giving me more details), but you bring up an interesting topic. Chef Jared at L&E does in fact request that whenever possible orders be submitted in its entirety. In our circumstance it helps keep the food timely and consistent with the limitations of our space. This usually works out well, until your food comes out one right after the other. The first time I experienced this request was in Paris many years ago. The waiter asked for the whole order to which I shooed him away. We didn’t see the waiter again for about an hour proving his point to me. I now respect the kitchen that requests this type of order, with the understanding that they should know how to pace service. Sorry about your experience, I will pass on your comment to the front of house manager.
  • Post #70 - January 20th, 2011, 9:13 am
    Post #70 - January 20th, 2011, 9:13 am Post #70 - January 20th, 2011, 9:13 am
    Kennyz wrote:
    REB wrote: Kobe burger, aged Windmere cheddar, Neuski bacon, beef fat fries, brioche. Rich and I agreed that the meat was unremarkable, even though the burger was perfectly cooked. Rich absolutely loved the buttery brioche bun, sharp cheddar, and thick, well-done bacon, but he's way more about toppings than I am. We agreed that the thick-cut fries had a nice fatty flavor, but they weren't crispy, just hot and soggy. We suggested to the FOH

They did swap out the "Kobe" for beef from Michigan's Swan Creek Farm, but the change did not improve the burger. For all the many things that Longman & Eagle does well, burger cooking is not one of them. Though it had the color and temperature of a medium-rare burger, my burger was dry and flavorless. I'd guess that the cook pressed it hard on the grill with a spatula while it cooked, extracting all of the flavorfull juice into the fire below. Please, cooks around the world - just put the burger on the grill and leave the damned thing alone til you flip it and it's done. It's not masa for a tortilla. Making matters worse, the cheese was sliced too thick, congealed, and way too sharp to do anything but overwhelm the lifeless beef.

As I get closer to 40 it appears that my memory is failing me, because I had forgotten about this when I was at L&E yesterday. Ordered another burger and came to a similar conclusion: Longman & Eagle does mixed greens and monte cristo's (really fantastic monte cristo) way better than they do hamburgers.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #71 - January 20th, 2011, 9:19 am
    Post #71 - January 20th, 2011, 9:19 am Post #71 - January 20th, 2011, 9:19 am
    L&E just posted that they are now open every day for brunch, and are selling pastries and coffee starting @7:00

we recently updated our AM hours and are open for brunch every day of the week starting at 10 am, also we are serving up pastries and coffee M - F starting at 7am...
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #72 - January 20th, 2011, 10:52 am
    Post #72 - January 20th, 2011, 10:52 am Post #72 - January 20th, 2011, 10:52 am
    ebottle wrote:Bruce from Longman & Eagle back from the lurk.
    Not too happy about the server with the “cold and wooden demeanor” (let me know if you feel like giving me more details), but you bring up an interesting topic. Chef Jared at L&E does in fact request that whenever possible orders be submitted in its entirety. In our circumstance it helps keep the food timely and consistent with the limitations of our space. This usually works out well, until your food comes out one right after the other. The first time I experienced this request was in Paris many years ago. The waiter asked for the whole order to which I shooed him away. We didn’t see the waiter again for about an hour proving his point to me. I now respect the kitchen that requests this type of order, with the understanding that they should know how to pace service. Sorry about your experience, I will pass on your comment to the front of house manager.

Wow, thanks for the fast and considerate reply! :) So you experienced the opposite effect of the all-at-once policy, having to wait so long in Paris!

I understand how crazy things are behind the line, so I definitely see the point of your policy. It seems especially helpful to everyone, staff and diners alike, when there are large parties at a table, compared to our mere two-top, where we were both tasting everything and some lag in delivery would have been no problem.

Speaking more generally, I have had a similar sense at Avec, Girl & the Goat and Mado (1.0) that these places seem best experienced in larger groups rather than by a single couple. It's probably just me, but I often feel self-conscious about only ordering a few small-plate options due to lack of stomach space, and yet yearning to linger in the restaurant's atmosphere, while I take up valuable seating space from those waiting to dine after me. It's not that any server at these places has made me feel overtly rushed, but that I know how much larger tables and faster turnover helps a restaurant flourish.
    pizza fun
  • Post #73 - January 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm
    Post #73 - January 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm Post #73 - January 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm
    Attrill wrote:L&E just posted that they are now open every day for brunch, and are selling pastries and coffee starting @7:00

we recently updated our AM hours and are open for brunch every day of the week starting at 10 am, also we are serving up pastries and coffee M - F starting at 7am...

I can confirm that this is true and that the pastries are delicious, if TINY. Also, they only have one size (small) of to-go coffee as far as I could tell, but Alterra coffee is never a bad choice.
  • Post #74 - January 22nd, 2011, 4:55 pm
    Post #74 - January 22nd, 2011, 4:55 pm Post #74 - January 22nd, 2011, 4:55 pm
    I am planning on going here tonight and wanted to check to make sure the roasted marrow bones would be on the menu. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there is no public means of communicating with them! Sure you can leave a message after the recording, but that's not a help to me, is it? I would love to not waste my time driving down there.

No email?? What is this, 1987?
  • Post #75 - January 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm
    Post #75 - January 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm Post #75 - January 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm
    Octarine wrote:I am planning on going here tonight and wanted to check to make sure the roasted marrow bones would be on the menu. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there is no public means of communicating with them! Sure you can leave a message after the recording, but that's not a help to me, is it? I would love to not waste my time driving down there.

No email?? What is this, 1987?

@longmanandeagle
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #76 - January 22nd, 2011, 11:16 pm
    Post #76 - January 22nd, 2011, 11:16 pm Post #76 - January 22nd, 2011, 11:16 pm
    Tonight's Dinner:

Amuse - pork rillette with cinnamon apple

Bar Snack: buffalo frogs legs - 3 frogs legs, cut at the joints for easy eating, light crispy dredge. The webbed toes fried to a glorious crisp. Lightly pickled celery & carrot stick batons, limp from the brine but the veins of the celery still peeled away from the rest of the stalk when bitten. Aerated blue cheese with scallions light with great mouthfeel, I found the bottom of the bowl while heaping up generous amounts onto clean frog bones. This is what I imagine when I think of buffalo wings, but 25 cent Tuesdays at the neighborhood bar will never deliver.

Small Plates 1: Beef tongue, chioggia beets, fried bearnaise, pickled onions, frisee, some kind of red reduction - beef tongue seared on one side, very tender, more about the texture than the flavor, but the sum greater than its parts. Beets were golden and we couldn't recall what the ingredient was, it was familiar, I offered that they reminded me of borscht, and that brought to mind the chioggia beets from the menu. Beef tongue had different textures throughout - all good, I liked the more fatty bits, the edges approached a liver-chalky taste, but not quite - very enjoyable. Fried bearnaise brought it all together.

Small Plates 2: Chanterelle Agnolotti, veal hearts, black truffle - best dish I've had in a long time - agnolotti filled with smoother-than-butterfat mushroom mousse, sauce balanced with butter and cream, but not heavy, complemented the veal hearts, chanterelles, truffles grated over the top, maybe a truffle oil too. I'm missing an ingredient - this was on the vegetarian menu as well, minus the heart.

Entree 1: 1/2 Slagel Farms Duck, confit leg, rare breast, savory bread pudding, brussel sprouts & spicy duck consomme - Perfect rare duck breast, fat on top could have been rendered slightly longer for a crisper fat cap, but this didn't detract from the dish in my experience; enough crispy skin to be had on the leg. Thigh was the best part, crackly skin, succulent fat, tender duck, not salty, really let the duck shine. Bread pudding had all the notes of stuffing, hit the tongue with sage and chestnut, and just when you thought it'd fall flat or slimy, it opened up the palate. Spicy duck consomme had flecks of red pepper flake floating around, very good on its own, a little hard to taste without a spoon, so this was a two-handed dish for me, spoon and fork dancing with perfectly composed bites, continually going back for more.

Entree 2: Gooseneck Cod with brandade, hedgehog mushrooms, parsley pesto? - crispy plank of potato topped the fish, brandade separated fish from mushrooms and parsley sauce. This was the one dish that didn't impress. Dining partner thought the cod was overcooked, I thought not, but the texture of the fish was grainy - not sure if this is typical of cod or if this indeed meant it was slightly overdone. [He commented that his palate is much more acute when prices get into double digits - :lol: ] Hedgehog mushrooms were the highlight of this dish, but how could they not be? Parsley pesto/sauce didn't have much flavor, which is too bad, it could've really elevated the dish and added some nice acidity.

Dessert 1: warm Gruyere donuts, maple syrup, finely grated Parmesan, roasted hazelnut, whipped citrus goat cheese - 4 large donuts, dusted with Parmesan, doused in maple syrup. With 3 cheeses on the plate, it was a borderline savory dessert, warm as promised, the Gruyere oozing seductively out of my bite marks. I couldn't taste the hazelnut - I'm not sure which component even had hazelnut in it. Also the whipped citrus goat cheese tasted much more of lemon than goat, almost like a lemon ice cream or lemon whipped cream since the temperature was cooler than the donuts. I *think* I would've liked more goat cheese flavor, but I could be wrong if I had tried a version with a heavier hand on the goat cheese. It was a pretty grave dessert already and made me unable to finish the chocolate tart. I liked this dessert although my description may not sound as exalting as the others.

Dessert 2: bittersweet "Manjari" chocolate tart, bourbon tapioca, malt cream - chocolate filling was like a good ganache, bourbon tapioca topped off the tart and filled a corner of the plate - the flavor and texture of the bourbon tapioca was reminiscent of pecan pie filling, but not cloyingly sweet, so damn good. A swirl of chocolate vanilla bean caramel looked glossy and translucent, a welcome addition when eaten with the tart shell, which had nice texture. Malt cream was light and airy, better than any Whopper could dream to be.

Very generous portions on each plate, worth every penny.

Service was paced nicely, no rushing, informative when requested, attentive at every turn but not intrusive, and genuine. The wait at 5:30pm tonight for a table of 4 was two hours! Luckily we were a table of 2, so we only had 45 minutes of anticipation.

An altogether eye-opening experience, similar to eating at Momofoku Ssam bar in the revelation department; I wanted to shake the chef's hand at the end of my meal but could see he was busy. I've been waiting for a meal like this for 3 months, it will take willpower not to wait outside their door for brunch tomorrow morning.

I have a couple crappy pictures but decided not to post them - it was too dark in there for my phone's camera.
  • Post #77 - January 24th, 2011, 10:16 am
    Post #77 - January 24th, 2011, 10:16 am Post #77 - January 24th, 2011, 10:16 am
    My wife and I went a week ago for dinner on a Saturday night. We showed up a little after 5 and were told it would be a 30 min wait. Got two seats at the bar and enjoyed a couple great local craft beers while we waited and watched the nice bartenders mix homemade cocktails. When I asked what that was he was putting into a cocktail with an eye-dropper, he responded "first-date special." Ok... :) In addition to the bartenders, the bar overlooks the tiny kitchen and it's fun to watch the Chef's work their magic. Overall it's a great standalone bar. We were seated in the back dining room, which I was thankful for because the front bar room did not look ideal to eat in...too loud, too crowded?

Forgive my lackluster descriptions, I'm new to posting on LTH, and it's been a week or so since we went:

Amuse - Cold Truffle & Crab soup that was very good.

Bar Snacks: Pretzel and Meatballs. The pretzel itself was just ok, but it came with a wonderful mustard dipping sauce which was really good. The meatballs were just fine...I think they were just beef and pork, and it sat on top of a polenta sauce that was nice. Considering both were ~$5, I didn't expect miracles and wasn't too disappointed.

Small Plates 1: Seared Maine Scallops with Truffle Gnocchi - this was awesome.

My Entree: Short Rib, Pork Tenderloin, Foie Gras....this looked great on the menu but honestly I wasn't crazy about it. I thought it tasted like a run of the mill stew, and the Foie Gras was very undercooked. After eating this and tasting my wife's dish I know I ordered wrong. Heck, for $20 less I could of gotten the Boar Sloppy Joe which looked pretty interesting...

Wife's Entree: Pork Belly. This was very good and one that I wish I had gotten!

Dessert: Gruyere donuts - very tasty and a perfect dessert. Much lighter than it sounds!

The service was great, food very good, and all in the night probably cost us ~$150...not too bad considering the quality. Since we live downtown and far enough away this would be hard to get to consistently, but would be perfect twice a year to get a taste of the different menus.
  • Post #78 - January 24th, 2011, 1:35 pm
    Post #78 - January 24th, 2011, 1:35 pm Post #78 - January 24th, 2011, 1:35 pm
    P. Channon wrote:Small Plates 1: Seared Maine Scallops with Truffle Gnocchi - this was awesome.

Were you able to taste the truffle? I had a hard time finding that in there.
    pizza fun
  • Post #79 - January 25th, 2011, 6:26 pm
    Post #79 - January 25th, 2011, 6:26 pm Post #79 - January 25th, 2011, 6:26 pm
    Went here for the first time today and really liked it. I was in at lunchtime (which, by the way, seems like the time to go, as there were only a few tables occupied). I had the wild boar sloppy joe with crispy sage and onion and pickled jalapeno. It was hot, hearty, and delicious. It came on a wonderful roll that seemed to be either some sort of brioche or pretzel roll or hybrid of the two. My meal also came with their beef fat-cooked fries, which I liked but didn't think they were anything spectacular, given the seemingly "special" or noted use of beef fat, and I actually felt they tasted a touch too salty or overseasoned. Service was efficient, albeit a bit tentative: My waiter was totally nice and the food came promptly, but I was expecting a tad more information or guidance about the menu without pressing for it...e.g., with this being a Michelin-starred restaurant and a current foodie destination, I was sort of hoping or expecting the wait staff to say something about the food on tap for the day, and he just sort of came to the table and asked if I was ready to order. Of course, this might be a silly expectation on my part. Also, I definitely want to try other menu items, as I'm still mulling over whether I deem them one star-worthy-- and that's not to say my sandwich wasn't delicious, it was -- but the jury is still out for me on the star matter.
  • Post #80 - January 26th, 2011, 6:29 am
    Post #80 - January 26th, 2011, 6:29 am Post #80 - January 26th, 2011, 6:29 am
    i<3pizza wrote:
    P. Channon wrote:Small Plates 1: Seared Maine Scallops with Truffle Gnocchi - this was awesome.

Were you able to taste the truffle? I had a hard time finding that in there.

A little bit...it was certainly more subtle than the Amuse course. But then again some chefs will hide behind a healthly dose of truffle flavor that easily overpowers what would be a weaker dish.
  • Post #81 - January 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm
    Post #81 - January 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm Post #81 - January 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm
    Longman & Eagle just opened up the reservation system for their rooms. You can book any date between now and the end of the year.

- Chris

• Post #82 - January 28th, 2011, 5:13 pm
    Post #82 - January 28th, 2011, 5:13 pm Post #82 - January 28th, 2011, 5:13 pm
    My dinner earlier this week at Longman and Eagle:

I tried to tie these images back to the menu posted online as best I can, but there may have been changes to some of the items that night.

Bell's Hopslam - Great way to start the night. I have always been a big fan of hopslam, and this year's batch did not disappoint.

Our amuse - Celery Root, Pickled Radish?, Black Truffle - Nice one bite, very well balanced. I think it may have been a balsamic based sauce, but I can't recall. Very well composed and made me look forward of things to come.

Pretzel, Welsh Rarebit - I was not a big fan of the crust on this pretzel, it was thick and not flaky. Inside was very nice, warm with great chewy texture. The Rarebit was a bit heavy handed on the ale, and I think it overpowered the mustard and cheese in the sauce.

Slagel Family Farms Meatballs, Creamy Polenta, Parsley Pesto, Fonduta - One of my favoriate dishes of the night. The meatballs were good on its own, but the combination of the tomatos, polenta, pesto, and fonduta cheese made for a phenomenal sauce.

Buffalo Frog's Legs, Aerated Blue Cheese, Carrot Celery Barigoule - Taste like a good buffalo wing...more of a novelty dish.

Ricotta Gnuddi, Tapenade, Basil, Charred Tomato Vinaigrette - Solid take on a gnuddi, a little dense for me as I prefer my gnuddi to be lighter, but maybe that's because I'm used to the gnuddi at Spotted Pig in NY. Good flavors overall.

Seared Maine Scallops, Braised Oxtail, Black Truffle Gnocchi, Celery Root, Butternut Squash, Fontina Fonduta - Another bullseye with this dish. Perfectly cooked scallop went so well with the braised oxtail. The gnocchi had a good amount of truffle oil in it, really made it pop. Really enjoyed this one.

Beef Tongue, Chioggia Beets, Fried Bearnaise, Pickled Onions - The tongue tasted more like braised beef, different than what I was expecting, but in a good way. The beets were fantastic as well, but I'm not sure if I like the fried Bearnaise. Everything else on this plate was great.

'Everything in a Pig' - Who can't have enough pork?

Grilled Slagel Family Farm Beef Short Rib, Petite Filet, Foie Gras, Horseradish Mash - We were all getting pretty full at this point (party of 3), but this was another outstanding dish. I particularly liked the various textures of the short rib/filet/and foie. The au jus was outstanding, and nice presentation of the mashed potatoes in the bone.

Wild Boar Sloppy Joe, Crispy Sage, Onion, Pickled Jalapeño, Beef Fat Fries - Very different than a sloppy joe from school. Well seasoned, and great fries, but we were stuffed at this point.

Ginger Panna Cotta, Banana, Honey

Overall a lovely meal. Can't wait to go back.
  • Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 pm
    Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 pm Post #83 - February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 pm
    I noticed something funny on my last trip, but I forgot to ask the server about it.

On the drink menu, the 1.25 oz tasting portion of whiskey is actually a better value than the 2 oz glass. This is true across the board.

High West Rendezvous Rye $7, $12
    Old Overholt Rye $3, $6
    Michter's US*1 single barrel rye $6, $10
    etc

Aren't you better off ordering two tasting portions rather than one 2 oz glass?
  • Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:00 pm
    Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:00 pm Post #84 - February 3rd, 2011, 11:00 pm
    Pacent -

Good pics.

Random question, the scallops, were they rare on the inside? Went a couple of weeks ago and my mother had the scallops and they seemed to be almost completely rare (aside from a slight sear on the outside).

Just curious if this was always the case or just an off dish.
  • Post #85 - February 4th, 2011, 12:22 am
    Post #85 - February 4th, 2011, 12:22 am Post #85 - February 4th, 2011, 12:22 am
    From what I remember, the scallops were a little rare on the inside, but certainly not raw. We did let the server know that my wife was pregnant, but we're not sure if that message was relayed to the chef and translated into any of our dishes being adjusted at all.
  • Post #86 - February 10th, 2011, 2:26 pm
    Post #86 - February 10th, 2011, 2:26 pm Post #86 - February 10th, 2011, 2:26 pm
    i<3pizza wrote:Speaking more generally, I have had a similar sense at Avec, Girl & the Goat and Mado (1.0) that these places seem best experienced in larger groups rather than by a single couple. It's probably just me, but I often feel self-conscious about only ordering a few small-plate options due to lack of stomach space, and yet yearning to linger in the restaurant's atmosphere, while I take up valuable seating space from those waiting to dine after me. It's not that any server at these places has made me feel overtly rushed, but that I know how much larger tables and faster turnover helps a restaurant flourish.

I would say that this was not my experience. I went to Longman & Eagle last Saturday at 5 PM when they opened with a group of 7, and they made it very obvious that they didn't want our business. They told us it would be a 3-1/2 hour wait. So we left. Most groups I saw there were in the 4 range.

Got another opportunity yesterday to try L&E with a group of 4. The wait was quite long for a Wednesday night, we got there at 7 and didn't get seated until after 8. The host told us that the people dining at our table paid their bill but were still chatting. They were still there 20 minutes later when we sat down at a different table. I don't think they're rushing people anymore. The restaurant comped us a cheese plate when we sat down, so that helped.

In general, I was pleased by the food. The flavors were rich and the ingredients were premium. The food was salty though. While I was eating, it didn't strike me as salty, but the amount of water we all downed at dinner and the fact I couldn't satiate my thirst have led me to this conclusion.

For appetizers we had the bone marrow and the pastrami sweetbreads. The bone marrow was very good. There was a lot of marrow and the tomato salsa on top was a nice complement to the beefy flavor. I didn't care for the pastrami sweetbreads. The presentation is actually piecemeal. There are onions, cheese, some sauce, and sweetbreads that you have to combine together. Maybe because it was pastrami, but the combination of flavors was too much like a deli sandwich and the richness of the sweetbreads was lost on me.

I actually came to L&E with my heart set on ordering the burger. I was psyched to try the burger, but the waitress informed me the grill was out, so 4 items on the menu couldn't be ordered. I was disappointed, but it sounds like it was a blessing in disguise because I ended up ordering the wild boar sloppy joe. The sandwich was very good - gamey flavor, soft buttery bun. It came with beef fat fries, which would have been great but they came out overfried.

For dessert we had the banana toffee pudding and ginger panna cotta. The pudding was cakey like British pudding. I liked the toffee flavor and the sliced bananas underneath but I found the cake to be a tad bland. The other dessert we ordered was the chocolate rum baba. I liked this dessert much better. The rum gave it bite, and the chocolate was dark and rich. The cake was almost like a flourless cake.
  • Post #87 - February 10th, 2011, 2:32 pm
    Post #87 - February 10th, 2011, 2:32 pm Post #87 - February 10th, 2011, 2:32 pm
    snap203 wrote:I would say that this was not my experience. I went to Longman & Eagle last Saturday at 5 PM when they opened ....

That might be when they start the dinner menu, but it's not when they open. They're open all day, and I have been there on weekend mid-afternoons when there's already a crowd long before 5.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #88 - February 10th, 2011, 2:42 pm
    Post #88 - February 10th, 2011, 2:42 pm Post #88 - February 10th, 2011, 2:42 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    snap203 wrote:I would say that this was not my experience. I went to Longman & Eagle last Saturday at 5 PM when they opened ....

That might be when they start the dinner menu, but it's not when they open. They're open all day, and I have been there on weekend mid-afternoons when there's already a crowd long before 5.

You're right. They actually open at 10 AM on Saturday.
  • Post #89 - February 11th, 2011, 9:41 am
    Post #89 - February 11th, 2011, 9:41 am Post #89 - February 11th, 2011, 9:41 am
    snap203 wrote:
    i<3pizza wrote:Got another opportunity yesterday to try L&E with a group of 4. The wait was quite long for a Wednesday night, we got there at 7 and didn't get seated until after 8. The host told us that the people dining at our table paid their bill but were still chatting. They were still there 20 minutes later when we sat down at a different table. I don't think they're rushing people anymore. The restaurant comped us a cheese plate when we sat down, so that helped.

As a reference point, I was there the same evening and there was little to no wait at 6:30. It started getting busy between 6:30 and 7:00. We were not rushed at all - it was a long meal.

-Matt
  • Post #90 - April 7th, 2011, 1:42 pm
    Post #90 - April 7th, 2011, 1:42 pm Post #90 - April 7th, 2011, 1:42 pm
    My wife and I went to Longman & Eagle last night and had yet another great experience.

We arrived around 7 and waited at the bar for about an hour before being seated. I had a few beers, and tried the Ham on Rye for the first time. A really good beer, it had nice balanced smokiness that wasn't overpowering. They were out of the Shrubbery so my wife got a Bitter Bourbon Buck instead, which she liked quite a bit.

The amuse was a pureed cauliflower that had a very nice flavor and texture (and I'm not a big cauliflower fan). We split the Chanterelle Agnolotti and the Lobster Parfait. The parfait had some nice big chunks of perfectly cooked lobster, and the bacon and parsnips went very well with it. The Agnolotti was great as well. For entrees we got the Grilled Leg of Venison and the Pot Au Feu of Beef Short Rib, Tenderloin, Foie Gras, and Marrow. I forgot to ask where they get their venison, it was a really nice piece of meat that was less gamey and more tender than many pieces of venison I've tried. The Pot Au Feu was just plain awesome, I was afraid I wouldn't have enough room to finish it (I had a lot of beer in me by that point) but I got through it without even thinking.

Our waiter told us that this week they'll be changing the menu and will be adding more dishes with local vegetables in them. I managed to make it through their entire cold weather menu just in time!

- Chris

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events