LTH Home

Longman & Eagle - - Logan Square Gastropub

Longman & Eagle - - Logan Square Gastropub
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - April 14th, 2011, 1:27 am
    Post #91 - April 14th, 2011, 1:27 am Post #91 - April 14th, 2011, 1:27 am
    Got back a few hours ago from this amazing dinner. Was an hour wait inside so we chose to sit outside.

Pastrami Cured Sweetbreads, Gruyere, Pumpernickel, Saurkraut, Thousand Island Dressing

Roasted Marrow Bones, Red Onion Jam, Sea Salt, Sourdough Crostini

Tete du Cochon, Sunny Side Up Duck Egg, Pickled Shallot, Parsley Salad, 5 Spice Mustard Sauce

Pan Roased Fluke, One Pot Stew of Manila Clams, Chorizo, Kale, Smoked Fingerling Potatoes, Piquilo Pepper, Lobster Broth

Slagel Family Farm Hanger Steak, Short Rib Ravioli, Creamed Ramp Greens, Asparagus, Morel Jus

Slagel Family Farm Pork Belly Confit, Squash Risotto, Apples, Chestnut, Soy Caramel

Malted Chocolate Cake, Date Ice Cream, Vanilla Italian Meringue, Maple Butter Emulsion with Elijah Craig 18yr

Warm Gruyere Donuts, “Blis” Maple Syrup, Rasped Parmesan,
    Roasted Hazelnut, Whipped Citrus Goat Cheese

Meal left me more satisfied than I've been in a while.
    Last edited by incite on August 17th, 2011, 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #92 - April 14th, 2011, 4:05 am
    Post #92 - April 14th, 2011, 4:05 am Post #92 - April 14th, 2011, 4:05 am
    HI,

An aside, I read where Longman & Eagle host a bed and breakfast above their restaurant. I believe the rate was around $75 a night including priority seating for dinner.

Regards.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #93 - April 14th, 2011, 6:59 am
    Post #93 - April 14th, 2011, 6:59 am Post #93 - April 14th, 2011, 6:59 am
    And if you look at the site, the rooms are beautiful, too. They're a great deal for staycations or tempting out of town visitors, considering Chicago's surprisingly scant offerings at that price point, in that or other neighborhoods. I know I've been personally looking for an excuse, though it's not often I pay to stay where I live! Eat, yes. Sleep, I've got that covered. :wink:
  • Post #94 - April 14th, 2011, 7:59 am
    Post #94 - April 14th, 2011, 7:59 am Post #94 - April 14th, 2011, 7:59 am
    Longman & Eagle was just featured on a Today Show travel segment about affordable hotels (after hotels in Greece, Spain, and Argentina were discussed, I was so surprised that L&E was the US pick). They talked about the food - venison and wild boar sloppy joes and then the rooms were described as having a hipster vibe. Very cool!
  • Post #95 - April 15th, 2011, 11:44 am
    Post #95 - April 15th, 2011, 11:44 am Post #95 - April 15th, 2011, 11:44 am
    essie wrote:Longman & Eagle was just featured on a Today Show travel segment about affordable hotels (after hotels in Greece, Spain, and Argentina were discussed, I was so surprised that L&E was the US pick). They talked about the food - venison and wild boar sloppy joes and then the rooms were described as having a hipster vibe. Very cool!

I think their food is really good. I think their publicist walks on water. To get them on the Today show for their inn after being in esquire as one of the 25 best new restaurants is someone earning every penny they are paid.
  • Post #96 - April 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    Post #96 - April 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm Post #96 - April 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    Last Sunday, we enjoyed the bone marrow, the pastrami-cured sweetbreads, the Miller Farms chicken and the pork chop. Wonderful - my chicken was especially memorable (the best chicken that I've enjoyed in recent memory).
  • Post #97 - April 18th, 2011, 10:58 am
    Post #97 - April 18th, 2011, 10:58 am Post #97 - April 18th, 2011, 10:58 am
    After drinking for a few hours over @ Toons, we were down to 2 choices for dinner, Tac Quick, or L & E. I wasnt in the mood for Thai, so L & E was it.

My wife, Shay, & I made the 15 minute drive over to L & E, and arrived around 4:45. Pretty empty, 3 tables near the bar were full, and the bar had maybe 5 or 6 people there. We told the hostess we wanted to get seated for dinner @ 5:00 and she said no problem, she allowed us to sit at a table near the bar but was going to move us once dinner started. One of the 4 tops near the bar opened up and she said we could take it. I figured the loder bar area worked better with us having a child in tow.

$2 PBR's and $3 shots of select bourbons and whiskey are a treat, did some Rebel Yell shots and looked at the menu. I had been for brunch and loved L & E. Was hoping dinner would be as impressive.

Scratched the surface of the menu:

- Pretzel, Welsh rarebit. We really liked this dish, I was expecting something different in regards to the Welsh rarebit, but what was served was good. Solid, salty pretzel.

- Slagel meatballs, polenta, pesto, etc. Liked the meatballs, and polenta, didnt like the bitter parsley pest

- roasted bone marrow. really well done dish, red onion jam was good, but a little more tart than I like. Bone marrow was perfectly roasted, sourdough bread really worked as well.

-tete de cochn. Worst plate of the meal, weekend. Pork puck was bitter, dry, and not well prepared. Mustard slather on the plate didnt work, and even a runny egg couldnt fix this dish.

Based on the above, I think I prefer the brunch offerings that I have had(perhaps they could offer the marrow for breakfast...) Overall I still like L & E alot.
    Last edited by jimswside on April 18th, 2011, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #98 - April 18th, 2011, 11:19 am
    Post #98 - April 18th, 2011, 11:19 am Post #98 - April 18th, 2011, 11:19 am
    jimswside wrote:My wife, Shay, & I made the 15 minute drive over to L & E, and arrived around 4:45. Pretty empty, 3 tables near the bar were full, and the bar had maybe 5 or 6 people there. We told the hostess we wanted to get seated for dinner @ 5:00 and she said no problem, she allowed us to sit at a table near the bar but was going to move us once dinner started. One of the 4 tops near the bar opened up and she said we could take it. I figured the loder bar area worked better with us having a child in tow.

Too funny, Jim, I was there at the same time one table away from you - I thought your party looked familiar, but I had left my glasses in the car and so was not certain. Like ships in the night...

I had my father in town visiting and we headed here post White Sox game and arrived a few minutes before 5pm. We were told it would be a 15-20 minute wait for a party of 3, which was pretty close. The bar was packed but we were able to grab two lone stools by the front door.

We shared the seared Maine scallops with oxtail/black truffle gnocchi, which we all really enjoyed, although I thought the scallops were a bit salty. We also had grilled duck liver on a crostini with morels and some tart greens. I'm not sure how long this will be on the menu, but it was really earthy, rich and well balanced thanks to the acidic dressing on the greens. For small plates, these were very generously portioned and almost too much for the three of us.

Dad and I each had (IIRC) skirt steak with creamed ramps and morel au jus. This was really a terrific plate, with lovely slender stalks of asparagus and pieces of morel scattered about. The meat was secondary to the vegetables, which I would have gladly consumed an entire plate of. The picky eater had the roast chicken and shared a few bites out - one of the better roast chickens I've ever had, very moist, juicy and rich.

This is very close to my house, so I'm looking forward to coming back and trying their brunch offerings. I'll try to post pictures later, really a lovely meal.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #99 - April 18th, 2011, 11:23 am
    Post #99 - April 18th, 2011, 11:23 am Post #99 - April 18th, 2011, 11:23 am
    hilarious, I wasnt wearing my Sox hat so that made me harder to i.d. I guess...... :D

The place seemed almost full by the time we left, a building buzz was evident as 5:00 approached thats for sure.

We almost got the scallop dish, sounded really good.
  • Post #100 - May 1st, 2011, 5:01 am
    Post #100 - May 1st, 2011, 5:01 am Post #100 - May 1st, 2011, 5:01 am
    At Longman & Eagle, order dishes with morels at your own risk. Last night's were gritty to the point that there's no way a cook who tasted them first would have served them. Chicken skin which was nice and crisp last time was rubbery yesterday
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #101 - May 27th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    Post #101 - May 27th, 2011, 8:35 pm Post #101 - May 27th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    Anyone have any idea of what the wait time for 2 on a Saturday runs? My sister and husband are sans kids tomorrow and want to go around 8:30, my guess was 90 minutes. Anyone have any recent experiences?
  • Post #102 - May 28th, 2011, 3:44 pm
    Post #102 - May 28th, 2011, 3:44 pm Post #102 - May 28th, 2011, 3:44 pm
    What kind of wait should I expect at 5:30 on Friday night at Longman & Eagle?

Thanks.
  • Post #103 - June 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm
    Post #103 - June 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm Post #103 - June 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm
    Went to Longman & Eagle again. Spent the night in a room seeing as how we both had Memorial Day off (Fiancee works weekends), so we also partook in their breakfast. Unfortunately, I forgot to snap a picture of their menus, so I can't give their exact names.

Dinner started off with their pretzel and Meatball bar snacks.

Meatballs weren't my favorite. Pretzel was good...but it was a pretzel. Not much to say.

Shrimp and Grits
    Beer Battered Soft Shell Crabs
    Pork Belly Confit

And then we had a few friends join us for breakfast the following morning.
    Fried Chicken, Waffles, Sweet Potato & Pork Belly Hash, Maple Syrup
    Peeky Toe Crab Benedict with One Hour Eggs, Old Bay Infused Hollandaise, Dehydrated Bacon
    Tete de Cochon Egg Sandwich, Brioche, Arugula, Pickled Red Onion, Sunny Side Duck Egg, 5 Spice Mustard Sauce
    This was my dish. Not really a sandwich as you can see, but I didn't mind. Meat fell apart, egg was nice and runny once the sac was broken. Thoroughly enjoyed.

All in all, a satisfying experience. I was less wowed by our dinner than I was our previous visit, but the breakfast redeemed our staycation.
    Last edited by incite on August 17th, 2011, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #104 - August 5th, 2011, 10:28 am
    Post #104 - August 5th, 2011, 10:28 am Post #104 - August 5th, 2011, 10:28 am
    My wife and I went back to Longman & Eagle last night and had another great meal. Some of the things that really stood out were the Porchetta - it was just perfect piece of pork cooked perfectly, it had a great sauce with it but overall what really hit me was just the perfect porkiness of it. The Skirt Steak came with a chimichurri that incorporated corn into it. It was really interesting, I think I'm going to try make some different chimichurris at home based on that one. The bone marrow ravioli that also came with it was delicious as well. One of my favorite things in the winter is the Chanterelle/Veal Heart Agnolotti so I tried the Porcini/Fried Chicken skin Agnolotti. It was very good, but I hope the Veal Heart one returns in the fall. There was also a cocktail that really stood out - it was a variation on a Mint Julep with a splash of Ephemere added to it. Really nice summer drink. The service was great as always.

The wait times seem to be really reasonable now. I think having the patio open relieves a lot of demand for tables. At the peak seating time on a Thursday it seemed like the wait was an hour at most, probably less. We were seated immediately at 7:00 or so.

My wife and I also stayed at the inn for a weekend in late June - it is definitely one of the best lodging deals in the city. The rooms are a little bit loud while the bar is open, but it was actually quieter than we expected. If you have a few drinks in you it's nothing you'd notice at all. The rooms are really nice and there are some cool little touches - you get tokens for a free whiskey/bourbon, the mini bar was the most impressive I've ever seen, they have room service, and you get seated more quickly if you're a guest. You also have the option to make a dining reservation if you're a guest.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #105 - October 13th, 2011, 8:25 am
    Post #105 - October 13th, 2011, 8:25 am Post #105 - October 13th, 2011, 8:25 am
    I ate at L&E about six weeks ago, and it was the worst restaurant meal I've had in the past several years. Several of the dishes were so oversalted and/or overspiced that they were inedible: oversalty and overspicy meatballs over polenta, pastrami cured sweetbreads where the pastrami spices overwhelmed any sweetbread flavor, tombo tuna covered with sea salt which overpowered the tuna flavor, a wild boar sloppy joe where the spices erased any pork-like or meat-like flavor, etc. And to put that into perspective, I have never felt that way about the food at any other restaurant, so I'm not overly sensitive to salt or spices.
  • Post #106 - October 13th, 2011, 11:52 am
    Post #106 - October 13th, 2011, 11:52 am Post #106 - October 13th, 2011, 11:52 am
    After visiting Longman and Eagle maybe 6 times in the last year or so I am happy to say I had the best meal yet last Tuesday.

Sat at the bar as I was dining alone. Ordered the Openface clam sandwich, Pigeon, and Cavatelli pasta entree. All three were stellar with my favorite being the vegetarian pasta!

Had a Stigel and 2 cocktails that were very well made and plenty of friendly conversation that added to the overall experince. I even made a point of telling the manager on the way out the door that I found this to be the best meal I have eaten at Longman and Eagle.

This is to no way disagree with the previous post, just another point of refrence.

Regards,
    Bourbon
  • Post #107 - October 13th, 2011, 2:28 pm
    Post #107 - October 13th, 2011, 2:28 pm Post #107 - October 13th, 2011, 2:28 pm
    Bourbon wrote:Ordered the Openface clam sandwich, Pigeon, and Cavatelli pasta entree. All three were stellar with my favorite being the vegetarian pasta!
    This is to no way disagree with the previous post, just another point of refrence.

They had the open-faced fried clam sandwich as a special when we were there, and we had that too. It was indeed excellent, the standout of the meal. We also had some pretty good mushroom pasta (chanterelle agnolotti). But those were the only good dishes, and the rest of the meal was as described in my previous post.
  • Post #108 - January 27th, 2012, 10:51 pm
    Post #108 - January 27th, 2012, 10:51 pm Post #108 - January 27th, 2012, 10:51 pm
    I had a fantastic meal here tonight with a group of four. It was probably my favorite meal in the city after Alinea and Next Thailand. We got there at about 6:30 and they told us the wait would be about an hour. It ended up being slightly longer than that and we ended up at the worst table in the house (right in front, with the other people waiting bumping into us all night), but it didn't matter at all with the outstanding food.

We started with the pretzels, which were my only disappointment. I found the pretzel too salty and the cheesy sauce too boozy. But everything after that was soooo delicious. I didn't take notes of all our dishes, but highlights were an off-menu lobster appetizer, a veal heart small plate, a rabbit entree, and the pork belly with squash and chestnuts pictured above. Everything was just so good. Dessert was fairly solid too, but not as outstanding as the earlier courses.
  • Post #109 - September 4th, 2012, 9:09 am
    Post #109 - September 4th, 2012, 9:09 am Post #109 - September 4th, 2012, 9:09 am

i dont do brunch often, but when I do... Longman & Eagle is my choice. Peeky Toe crab eggs benedict was good. Duck hash with sunyside up duck eggs was fantastic as was the house made jelly "donut". Fried chicken and waffles tempted as did the pastrami spiced pigs head.

Plus a tip of the hat to a place in Chicago that doesnt overcharge for liquor. Plenty of $3 shots(JTS Brown Bounded Bourbon no less) and Old Style on tap allows the regular guy to afford to throw a few back.
  • Post #110 - May 6th, 2013, 3:45 pm
    Post #110 - May 6th, 2013, 3:45 pm Post #110 - May 6th, 2013, 3:45 pm
    Fans of the short-lived Premise in Andersonville (like me :wink:), will probably be happy to know that chef Brian Runge has taken over the kitchen at Longman & Eagle. I walked in last week to grab a whiskey and saw him in the pass. He told me that he's in charge of the kitchen now and intended to roll a few new dishes out very soon. After that there'll be more changes to follow. I think this is a really exciting development and I look forward to getting back to L&E for some food in the very near future.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #111 - October 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm
    Post #111 - October 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm Post #111 - October 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm
    It's been quite some time since my last visit to Longman & Eagle. Today, having struck out at my first four choices, I found myself parked across the street from L&E with money in the meter (Reno, choice #4 should have been open, but for some reason was closed today), so I decided to grab something there. I ordered a pork belly Cubano, which, despite the bread being all wrong, and the pickles made of zucchini, I found the sandwich to be quite good, though calling it a Cubano is a bit of a misnomer. The fries were stellar as well. L&E seems to be nicely chugging along below the radar, and it's worth a visit if you haven't been in a while.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #112 - October 7th, 2013, 3:31 pm
    Post #112 - October 7th, 2013, 3:31 pm Post #112 - October 7th, 2013, 3:31 pm
    stevez wrote:It's been quite some time since my last visit to Longman & Eagle. Today, having struck out at my first four choices, I found myself parked across the street from L&E with money in the meter (Reno, choice #4 should have been open, but for some reason was closed today), so I decided to grab something there. I ordered a pork belly Cubano, which, despite the bread being all wrong, and the pickles made of zucchini, I found the sandwich to be quite good, though calling it a Cubano is a bit of a misnomer. The fries were stellar as well. L&E seems to be nicely chugging along below the radar, and it's worth a visit if you haven't been in a while.

I stop in every 4-6 months or so and always end up wondering why I don't do it more often. Always a great meal.
  • Post #113 - October 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm
    Post #113 - October 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm Post #113 - October 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm
    i stop in occasionally and always remember why i don't go more often: it's pretty pricey, making it a sometimes food.

of course when i go to other similarly priced places, i usually end up thinking L&E was better. but you know, gotta try other places.
  • Post #114 - October 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm
    Post #114 - October 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm Post #114 - October 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm
    One of the Longman & Eagle partners is opening a restaurant in Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood, a block or two South of Odd Duck:

A restaurant planned for Bay View with apparent ties to Chicago restaurant Longman & Eagle is seeking a loan through the nonprofit business lender Milwaukee Economic Development Corp.

Called Galaxy, according to MEDC documents, the restaurant would open in a 1906 wooden structure at 2659 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. that previously was Home tavern. (It would be next door to the new gelato, frozen yogurt and crepes shop that's expected to open in November at 2663 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., called Cream City Swirl.)

Owners including managing operator James McCann are seeking a loan of $138,250, about a third of the total project cost of $395,000. McCann is a partner in Longman & Eagle, an employee there confirmed; he could not be reached immediately for more information. Longman & Eagle is a Michelin-starred restaurant and inn in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood that serves a contemporary American menu.

Also named as an owner is Jered Gummere, a Chicago musician probably best known as the frontman for the Ponys; he has worked for the Empty Bottle bar in Chicago, owned by another Longman & Eagle partner, Bruce Finkelman.

... it's estimated 20 full-time and 16 part-time jobs would be created by the restaurant, according to documents filed with the MEDC, which is affiliated with the city.

Update: The MEDC's Loan and Finance Committee supported the request for the loan, and it moves to the lender's full board.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/226785741.html#ixzz2jAj5maZL
  • Post #115 - February 28th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    Post #115 - February 28th, 2014, 12:55 pm Post #115 - February 28th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    Great lunch at L&E today. My wife and I split the burger and the pork belly Cuban sandwich. The burger was the star: perfectly cooked, seasoned well, with a really nice bite of bacon and cheese. The Cuban was a bit heavy on the cheese for my taste, but quite good. Fries are amazing.
  • Post #116 - March 4th, 2014, 9:01 pm
    Post #116 - March 4th, 2014, 9:01 pm Post #116 - March 4th, 2014, 9:01 pm
    Just wanted to chime in with my experience with Longman and Eagle. We have been three times for brunch and once for dinner. The brunch is probably my favorite in the city managing to straddle that delicate line between breakfast and lunch (i.e. take a lunch item and add an egg to it). It's not that loud or busy in my experience and I don't think the prices are really that bad for the caliber. The menu had new items every time we have been and it really is chock full of unique brunch items.

Our one attempt at dinner with another couple left me unimpressed. It's dark, loud and crowded. I know they make fun of a yelp review that stated the same thing, but it really is quite annoying to be seated near the bar with people continually jostling you while you attempt to hear the person not two feet away from you. More importantly I found the food for dinner (and we tried a lot of dishes with four people) rather unexciting. Sorry that I can't remember what we actually ate, it was a long time ago.

Reading other comments suggests one of two things a) the place is a bit inconsistent and our dinner was just one of the weak nights or b) brunch is better. I would need more data points.
  • Post #117 - March 5th, 2014, 2:40 pm
    Post #117 - March 5th, 2014, 2:40 pm Post #117 - March 5th, 2014, 2:40 pm
    botd wrote:Just wanted to chime in with my experience with Longman and Eagle. We have been three times for brunch and once for dinner. The brunch is probably my favorite in the city managing to straddle that delicate line between breakfast and lunch (i.e. take a lunch item and add an egg to it). It's not that loud or busy in my experience and I don't think the prices are really that bad for the caliber. The menu had new items every time we have been and it really is chock full of unique brunch items.

Our one attempt at dinner with another couple left me unimpressed. It's dark, loud and crowded. I know they make fun of a yelp review that stated the same thing, but it really is quite annoying to be seated near the bar with people continually jostling you while you attempt to hear the person not two feet away from you. More importantly I found the food for dinner (and we tried a lot of dishes with four people) rather unexciting. Sorry that I can't remember what we actually ate, it was a long time ago.

Reading other comments suggests one of two things a) the place is a bit inconsistent and our dinner was just one of the weak nights or b) brunch is better. I would need more data points.

I have very similar data. The handful of brunches I've had here have all been top notch, but the one time I went for dinner I was pretty underwhelmed. Maybe I'm just less judgmental first thing in the morning :wink:
  • Post #118 - May 5th, 2014, 9:15 pm
    Post #118 - May 5th, 2014, 9:15 pm Post #118 - May 5th, 2014, 9:15 pm
    Anyone been for dinner recently and can share information on any of the dishes they liked in particular? I am going with some friends this weekend for the first time (they swear by the burger) and the current menu has some enticing options: lamb tartar, calves liver with beach mushroom/artichokes/smoked yuzu, veal brains with morels, scallop with fois gras and bacon, king crab with uni/grapefruit/black truffle.....They certainly sound intriguiing! Would love to know if any dish actually works well as a whole.
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
  • Post #119 - November 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    Post #119 - November 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm Post #119 - November 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    Our team has made the very difficult decision to close for the time being, probably until early 2021,” Longman & Eagle management writes on Instagram. “We didn’t make this call lightly, but want to make sure that once the pandemic is over, we can welcome everyone back to the same old Longman you know and love.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/11/11/21 ... s-pandemic
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more