LTH Home

Jet's Pizza, Detroit-style (Buffalo Grove & other locations)

Jet's Pizza, Detroit-style (Buffalo Grove & other locations)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Jet's Pizza, Detroit-style (Buffalo Grove & other locations)

    Post #1 - March 28th, 2010, 11:01 pm
    Post #1 - March 28th, 2010, 11:01 pm Post #1 - March 28th, 2010, 11:01 pm
    Big, Honking Disclaimer: I Know These People. Well.
    My good friend Ed and his business partner have opened an outpost of Detroit-based Jet's Pizza in Buffalo Grove. Other franchise groups own locations in the SW suburbs, but this is the first Jet's in the northern burbs. I admit that recently, when we dropped in to visit his new store, I was prepared to react politely to what I expected to be mediocre pizza. Boy, was I wrong. We sampled their signature pie, the Eight-Corner Pizza. This is a very good Sicilian-style pie, baked in two small square pans so every piece is a corner. It's got a good crunchy crust with a light, bready dough. The cheese extends to the edge of the pan where it becomes brown and crisp around the edges. The nicely balanced sauce is made in-house. We also sampled their chicken wings, both regular Buffalo and boneless barbecue flavor. Of course, they sell standard thin-crust pizza too, but we didn't have room for even a taste.
    Jet's goes head-to-head with Domino's, Little Caesar's and Pizza Hut and as such, I think they succeed admirably. They aren't Lou Malnati's and don't pretend to be, but for me Jet's definitely rises well above what we're accustomed to in the realm of franchise pizza.

    Jet's Pizza
    1065 East Lake Cook (Lake Cook Rd & Lexington Dr.)
    Buffalo Grove, IL
    (847) 537-9999
  • Post #2 - March 29th, 2010, 10:05 am
    Post #2 - March 29th, 2010, 10:05 am Post #2 - March 29th, 2010, 10:05 am
    I have never heard of this place but it looks like a clone of Little Caesars. I am making an assumption but it looks like they use very substandard to low quality ingredients. I.E. Bulk peperoni and the semi fake cheese? Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to be a low quality Little Caesars clone.
  • Post #3 - March 29th, 2010, 10:59 am
    Post #3 - March 29th, 2010, 10:59 am Post #3 - March 29th, 2010, 10:59 am
    I spend a lot of time in Michigan and have ordered from Jet's a number of times. It's definitely steps above the main pizza franchises in quality and flavor. Sandwiches and salads are decent as well.
  • Post #4 - March 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm
    Post #4 - March 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm Post #4 - March 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm
    I work near here, so I may have to pick one up out of sheer curiosity.

    Though I don't really dig on pizzas with cheese extended all the way to the crust. To me, the best part of a slice is the part where you have a nice bare crust, then a ring of baked sauce sneaking out under the edge of the cheese...like some kind of culinary Zettai Ryouiki.
  • Post #5 - March 29th, 2010, 1:33 pm
    Post #5 - March 29th, 2010, 1:33 pm Post #5 - March 29th, 2010, 1:33 pm
    This location is within 5 minutes of a decades-long established Lou Malnati's. :lol:

    Oops! Good luck wit yer Detroit pizzeria!
  • Post #6 - March 29th, 2010, 2:08 pm
    Post #6 - March 29th, 2010, 2:08 pm Post #6 - March 29th, 2010, 2:08 pm
    It looks like authentic Detroit-style pizza.
  • Post #7 - March 30th, 2010, 11:32 am
    Post #7 - March 30th, 2010, 11:32 am Post #7 - March 30th, 2010, 11:32 am
    I work nearby as well, and might give it a try. I'm not a big fan of really thick dough, but then again, Pequod's is pretty thick and bready, so this might be ok. I also was a fan of Garcia's Pizza downstate Illinois and maybe this might be similar.
  • Post #8 - August 24th, 2010, 9:40 am
    Post #8 - August 24th, 2010, 9:40 am Post #8 - August 24th, 2010, 9:40 am
    I went there the other day during my run from work to Sam's Club to pick up soup ingredients for the Duck.
    They sell pizza by the slice and I tried the 2 slices and a pop for 5 dollars deal. And the slices are not small.
    The pizza, IMHO, is comparable to Rocky Rococo's, a wisconsin based chain that use to have restaurants in Illinois. I love Rocky Rococo's pizza so,for me, its going to be a great change of pace then what is in the area.

    I am definately going back and trying the BBQ chicken.
    Dirty Duck Inn - feeding the villagers of the Bristol Ren Faire since 1574
    If making Chilaquiles with fried chicken skins is wrong, then I dont want to be right!!
  • Post #9 - May 24th, 2017, 7:09 am
    Post #9 - May 24th, 2017, 7:09 am Post #9 - May 24th, 2017, 7:09 am
    was put in a situation to try Jet's Pizza last night.

    It was ok pizza, sauce/cheese ok but cheap pre cooked sausage.

    The Sicilian style pizza I had at L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn or Buddy's pizza in Detroit was far preferable to the Jet's I had last night as the Jet's crust was VERY oily.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #10 - May 24th, 2017, 10:27 am
    Post #10 - May 24th, 2017, 10:27 am Post #10 - May 24th, 2017, 10:27 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:was put in a situation to try Jet's Pizza last night.

    It was ok pizza, sauce/cheese ok but cheap pre cooked sausage.

    Jets is, at times, a guilty pleasure for me. It's great bad pizza, if that makes any sense. But I will say this, the Buffalo Grove Jets pales in comparison to a couple of other Jets stores from which I've ordered. I'd happily order again in Logan Square or Albany Park but Buffalo Grove is pretty much in my 'no need to do that again' category.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #11 - May 24th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #11 - May 24th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #11 - May 24th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: It's great bad pizza, if that makes any sense.


    Well, now I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with this phenomenon, and Ronnie, you've hit upon the perfect name for it. While I grew up in a household loyal to a couple of "good" pizza purveyors, the odd Domino's or Pizza Hut order while babysitting or over at a friend's house made a more enduring impression. Once college introduced me the wonder of Pokey Stix after a long night, great bad pizza had me for life.

    I'd never argue that it's "good pizza," but a thin pie with pepperoni and a pan Hawaiian from Pizza Hut is nourishing in a way that almost transcends food. (Too bad the Oak Park Pizza Hut is terrible.) I see there's an Elmwood Park Jet's that delivers to me, so I'll have to keep them in mind the next time I'm in the market. (Fortunately for my health, the appeal of great bad pizza is lost on my wife, so opportunities are few and far between.)
  • Post #12 - May 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Post #12 - May 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm Post #12 - May 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    ndgbucktown wrote:I'd never argue that it's "good pizza," but a thin pie with pepperoni and a pan Hawaiian from Pizza Hut is nourishing in a way that almost transcends food.


    LOL. "Transcends food" is a good way to describe chain pizza...especially in a town as great pizza dense as Chicago.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #13 - May 24th, 2017, 2:24 pm
    Post #13 - May 24th, 2017, 2:24 pm Post #13 - May 24th, 2017, 2:24 pm
    stevez wrote:"Transcends food" is a good way to describe chain pizza...especially in a town as great pizza dense as Chicago.

    This is what struck me as confusing about Ronnie's statement that he'd get Jet's in Logan Sq or Albany Pk, but not Buff Grove. The marginal cost of opting for Jet's seems greater the closer you are to legit Chicago options. I would think Jet's to be a better bet the further away from the city (excluding Italian-American concentrated suburbs) you go.
  • Post #14 - May 24th, 2017, 3:17 pm
    Post #14 - May 24th, 2017, 3:17 pm Post #14 - May 24th, 2017, 3:17 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    stevez wrote:"Transcends food" is a good way to describe chain pizza...especially in a town as great pizza dense as Chicago.

    This is what struck me as confusing about Ronnie's statement that he'd get Jet's in Logan Sq or Albany Pk, but not Buff Grove. The marginal cost of opting for Jet's seems greater the closer you are to legit Chicago options. I would think Jet's to be a better bet the further away from the city (excluding Italian-American concentrated suburbs) you go.

    Jets is its own thing and its own craving. I order it when I want Jets, not necessarily when I want pizza. For me, it really doesn't have anything to do with other available options.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #15 - May 24th, 2017, 3:58 pm
    Post #15 - May 24th, 2017, 3:58 pm Post #15 - May 24th, 2017, 3:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It's great bad pizza...
    I nominate this for the quoted quote :)

    FWIW the Jet's pizza I tried was from the Arlington Heights store.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #16 - May 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm
    Post #16 - May 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm Post #16 - May 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm
    I wish I could take credit for the It's great bad pizza line but it was coined by a friend.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #17 - May 24th, 2017, 4:30 pm
    Post #17 - May 24th, 2017, 4:30 pm Post #17 - May 24th, 2017, 4:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Jets is its own thing and its own craving. I order it when I want Jets, not necessarily when I want pizza. For me, it really doesn't have anything to do with other available options.

    (I'm sorry, I can't help myself; Compulsive Beating-a-Dead-Horser in recovery) Based on that justification, the craving should not discriminate for/against any location. If it is independent of alternatives, it should just be a reflex to the craving, regardless of surroundings.
  • Post #18 - May 24th, 2017, 4:35 pm
    Post #18 - May 24th, 2017, 4:35 pm Post #18 - May 24th, 2017, 4:35 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Jets is its own thing and its own craving. I order it when I want Jets, not necessarily when I want pizza. For me, it really doesn't have anything to do with other available options.

    (I'm sorry, I can't help myself; Compulsive Beating-a-Dead-Horser in recovery) Based on that justification, the craving should not discriminate for/against any location. If it is independent of alternatives, it should just be a reflex to the craving, regardless of surroundings.

    Yes but the Buffalo Grove store puts out a product so inferior to what I've had at other locations, it doesn't even begin scratch the itch.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #19 - May 25th, 2017, 6:53 am
    Post #19 - May 25th, 2017, 6:53 am Post #19 - May 25th, 2017, 6:53 am
    I caught an episode of The Pizza Show on Viceland last night and four traditional New York pizza guys (host Frank Pinello of Best Pizza, Lucali's Mark Iacono, John Brescio of Lombardi's and a fourth guy I didn't recognize) tried the major 4 chain pizzas and didn't dismiss them outright, there were no real favorites, although the consensus was to avoid toppings.
  • Post #20 - May 25th, 2017, 7:03 am
    Post #20 - May 25th, 2017, 7:03 am Post #20 - May 25th, 2017, 7:03 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Jets is its own thing and its own craving. I order it when I want Jets, not necessarily when I want pizza. For me, it really doesn't have anything to do with other available options.

    (I'm sorry, I can't help myself; Compulsive Beating-a-Dead-Horser in recovery) Based on that justification, the craving should not discriminate for/against any location. If it is independent of alternatives, it should just be a reflex to the craving, regardless of surroundings.

    Yes but the Buffalo Grove store puts out a product so inferior to what I've had at other locations, it doesn't even begin scratch the itch.

    =R=


    The Skokie location does a pretty solid job. I completely agree with Jets satisfying a craving that other styles of pizza can't touch, even they they are "better" pizzas. Pepperoni with Sesame crust does it for me (when the craving hits).
  • Post #21 - May 25th, 2017, 7:21 am
    Post #21 - May 25th, 2017, 7:21 am Post #21 - May 25th, 2017, 7:21 am
    I love Jet's! Mmm, caramelized cheese rim, that greezy crust!

    And I fully appreciate good bad pizza (my wife's favorite food group). Often its about timing, when optimal freshness and extreme hunger align. Factor in inebriation and the situation can become nearly unavoidable. I've been known to appreciate Papa John's and even Hot-N-Readys. These latter two examples can, of course, suck. Competence of your teenage pizzaiolo is also a huge factor. Industrial ingredients can transcend in the right hands.

    But the Jet's product (at least from our nearby location) rarely sucks.
  • Post #22 - May 26th, 2017, 9:41 am
    Post #22 - May 26th, 2017, 9:41 am Post #22 - May 26th, 2017, 9:41 am
    I have only tried Jet's once. It was too greasy for my tastes.That may have been a location issue, but I don't see me ever trying another one.
  • Post #23 - June 1st, 2017, 10:29 am
    Post #23 - June 1st, 2017, 10:29 am Post #23 - June 1st, 2017, 10:29 am
    There's a Jet's next to the dry cleaners I patronize. For $5+tax (it used to just be $5 after tax until last year), you get two slices and a 20 oz. soft drink.

    I get two slices of pepperoni probably 4 times per year. It's fine when I have a craving for tomato sauce in a way that most other fast food can't deliver.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #24 - June 2nd, 2017, 11:57 am
    Post #24 - June 2nd, 2017, 11:57 am Post #24 - June 2nd, 2017, 11:57 am
    I've had it a handful of times (and it's a been a while since I have) but I liked Jet's too. I agree that it's great bad pizza. I like the crunchy oily crust and the burnt cheese (I've only gotten the 8 corner) and I personally would love to have them closer to me. The Libertyville location closed, which is hard to believe because compared to Papa John's which is the worst pizza I can think of, you'd think Jet's would catch on there.
  • Post #25 - June 2nd, 2017, 12:06 pm
    Post #25 - June 2nd, 2017, 12:06 pm Post #25 - June 2nd, 2017, 12:06 pm
    My Jets order: 8 corner, turbo crust (yep, really) with sausage, pepperoni & jalapeno. That'll do the trick. :D

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #26 - June 6th, 2017, 12:21 am
    Post #26 - June 6th, 2017, 12:21 am Post #26 - June 6th, 2017, 12:21 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My Jets order: 8 corner, turbo crust (yep, really) with sausage, pepperoni & jalapeno. That'll do the trick. :D

    =R=


    order it well done with spicy pepperoni next time. Pretty much what I get every time from there.
  • Post #27 - June 6th, 2017, 12:24 am
    Post #27 - June 6th, 2017, 12:24 am Post #27 - June 6th, 2017, 12:24 am
    csox wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My Jets order: 8 corner, turbo crust (yep, really) with sausage, pepperoni & jalapeno. That'll do the trick. :D

    =R=


    order it well done with spicy pepperoni next time. Pretty much what I get every time from there.

    Cool. Will do. Do you ever order any dipping sauces? I never have.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #28 - June 6th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    Post #28 - June 6th, 2017, 8:49 pm Post #28 - June 6th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    Jet's 8-corner is a solid option in those very rare instances when I'm in the mood for spongy-thick pan pizza. It reminds me of my youth when similar thick/square pizza from Little Caesar's was a Friday night treat on account of my parents were too wiped from the workweek to cook, and back when Little Caesar's only kinda sucked instead of really sucking.

    But IMO that's all Jet's is good for. Their round "standard-crust" pizza is a swing and a miss, somewhere around Pizza Hut territory.
  • Post #29 - June 11th, 2017, 12:19 am
    Post #29 - June 11th, 2017, 12:19 am Post #29 - June 11th, 2017, 12:19 am
    It ain't no Buddy's Pizza of Detroit but it'll do.
  • Post #30 - June 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm
    Post #30 - June 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm Post #30 - June 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm
    Sauganaut wrote:It ain't no Buddy's Pizza of Detroit but it'll do.
    Looks like my time has come. I'm finally going to the Motor City for the first time in July and Buddy's will be visited (the original of course, unless I should go to another location). I have also heard Loui's might be just as good and I might hit that too.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more