LTH Home

bopNgrill [Rogers Park, formerly Evanston]

bopNgrill [Rogers Park, formerly Evanston]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 2:11 pm Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    You know what this place needs? Wet Ones!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #62 - January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 pm
    Post #62 - January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 pm Post #62 - January 3rd, 2012, 11:58 pm
    I attended a dinner hosted by the Korean Consulate at BopNGrill's Chicago location.

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - January 15th, 2012, 11:06 am
    Post #63 - January 15th, 2012, 11:06 am Post #63 - January 15th, 2012, 11:06 am
    Hi,

The highlight of this meal sponsored by the Korean Consulate was Bo Ssam, which was very likely inspired by Momofuku. Recipe is linked to already and here is an article on it.

The chef from bopNgrill also had garlic cooking in the pork fat, which was outstanding.

I have been thinking about this preparation ever since enjoying it.

Bo Ssam by cal222, on Flickr

Bo Ssam with condiments by cal222, on Flickr

Now take a piece of lettuce to show others the way. Place into it a torn string of meat, a dab of rice, some hot sauce or kimchi or pickles. Fold and bite, fold and bite. Try it with a scissored shard of the candied pigskin. Or with an oyster. Or both. Repeat.

It is interesting to read the New York Times article to learn this was served at the end of the meal with people already full. Yet they couldn't stop eating it once they learned how wonderful it was. This reaction paralleled mine, because I was full and yet I could not get enough of this sumptuous pork.

BopNgrill had sesame leaves available to wrap your pork, this was a wonderful addition. Unlike bib lettuce, sesame leaves have a distinct tangy taste.

I didn't learn of this article until yesterday. I had already bought a pork butt with plans to replicate this dish. In fact, I strongly contempated making this for Christmas dinner. I wasn't really sure what my family's reaction might be. However, I made pork spare ribs and sauerkraut, instead, which surprised them greatly. Later I heard my cousin in Denver served spare ribs, too, which really surprised her Mother. Why? She thought I was an oddball for serving spare ribs for Christmas.

Next Christmas, it will be Bo Ssam. Guaranteed.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #64 - January 16th, 2012, 8:43 am
    Post #64 - January 16th, 2012, 8:43 am Post #64 - January 16th, 2012, 8:43 am
    Just yesterday, bopNgrill posted the following on their facebook page

saam dinner. reservations only.

serves about 8. comes with bone-in pork shoulder, saamjang, boston lettuce, kimchi, garlic confit, and rice
  • Post #65 - January 16th, 2012, 9:57 am
    Post #65 - January 16th, 2012, 9:57 am Post #65 - January 16th, 2012, 9:57 am
    Yes, the NY Times recipe made me immediately start thinking about a dinner party with that as the centerpiece!
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #66 - January 16th, 2012, 10:51 am
    Post #66 - January 16th, 2012, 10:51 am Post #66 - January 16th, 2012, 10:51 am
    leek wrote:Yes, the NY Times recipe made me immediately start thinking about a dinner party with that as the centerpiece!

I'm thinking of serving it at one of my Passover seders this year. 8)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #67 - January 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm
    Post #67 - January 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm Post #67 - January 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm
    Had the saam dinner last Friday. Amazing. Super tender pork that shreds to the touch.

If I recall, Will, the owner, said the pork had been cooked either 16 or 18 hours. Pre-cooked weight of 20 pounds. We were the 4th group to have ordered it since they began serving it.

There was definitely enough to feed 8 people. We also got some orders of kimchi fries and ended up sharing 4 umami burgers for dessert.

Cost of just the saam dinner is $150.
  • Post #68 - February 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm
    Post #68 - February 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm Post #68 - February 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm
    Tried the Rogers Park location and had a great experience. I had a Bi Bim Bop burger (a special) which was a burger with lots of sliced carrots and cabbage, egg on top and a sweet/spicy sauce. While the beef may be nothing special, the combination of flavors made this one of the better sandwiches I've had. My wife had a soft shell crab sandwhich and loved it. Pretty simply, crab, slaw and some kind of sauce.

While we were early around 6:00, still said to see the Chipotle next door having lots more people.

Jonah
  • Post #69 - May 4th, 2012, 9:46 am
    Post #69 - May 4th, 2012, 9:46 am Post #69 - May 4th, 2012, 9:46 am
    I had the Bo Saam dinner last night with a group of 10. This was at the Rogers Park location, as they do not serve this in Evanston.

It was a blast. it's a very informal, eat with you hands, sharing, kind of deal. They serve: a big hunk of slow roasted pork (served on cooking sheet), a small pot of garlic cloves roasted along with the pork, lettuce leaves for wrapping, kimchee (made in house), scallions and onions, a mild pepper/sesame past for schmearing and plain rice. The pork is served whole with some tongs to pull the meat off. No plates -- they just have some cardboard serving containers and plastic forks or chopsticks. (This is quite a bit less fancy than the pictures above of this meal that was served at the Korean embassy function). The luscious pork, all by itself, would be a worthy meal. But you can then then try all sorts of combinations; paste no kimchee, kimchee and onions, etc. The food was tasty, and what I really liked was the atmosphere this very rustic way of serving created. Although there is no "service" per se -- they bring everything out at once, the folks running the place couldn't be friendlier and are happy to help with water, drinks, or anything else you need.

Also, there were a lot of very jealous students looking at us.

Jonah
  • Post #70 - May 19th, 2012, 4:42 pm
    Post #70 - May 19th, 2012, 4:42 pm Post #70 - May 19th, 2012, 4:42 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:You know what this place needs? Wet Ones!

This. The kimchi burger was unapproachable this afternoon without detaching one's jaw like a constrictor. The beef was rich and perfectly cooked, and the toasted potato bun was fresh and buttery, but the rest just didn't come together for me, weak on the kimchi flavor, egg was overcooked, and mayo and cheese ran together off the burger entirely. The little thick-cut bacon pieces were great, though. I'll be back - bo ssam (Sheridan location) looked great, and the outdoor seating is very nice.
  • Post #71 - December 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm
    Post #71 - December 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm Post #71 - December 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm
    This joint just got a drop-dead rave feature by Guy Fieri on "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives." Well-deserved, and really well done. The name of the ep is "Goin' the Extra Mile" (Episode DV1502H), so keep an eye out for it, if only to make notes on the ingredients for the over-the-top bulgogi marinade! 8)
  • Post #72 - July 1st, 2013, 10:12 am
    Post #72 - July 1st, 2013, 10:12 am Post #72 - July 1st, 2013, 10:12 am
    I tried the Umami Burger over the weekend at the Rogers Park location. The richness of the duxelles, gouda, tomato confit, mayo, etc overpowered the burger's beef flavor. I agree with the above poster who described this offering as "one note." Definitely won't order it again.
  • Post #73 - August 3rd, 2013, 11:49 pm
    Post #73 - August 3rd, 2013, 11:49 pm Post #73 - August 3rd, 2013, 11:49 pm
    I made my first trip to bopNgrill today and I'm sad to say it just didn't do it for me, but my ordering may have been part of the problem. First, I'll note that my dining companion had the umami burger and really enjoyed it. But I just wasn't thrilled with my kimchee burger. I just didn't find that the flavor combination worked for me (my problem). Moreover, I thought the beef itself was unseasoned and really lacking flavor, and although I ordered it medium rare, it was rather dry and not juicy at all (their problem).

I also ordered their poutine, and the only positive aspect of this dish was the well-cooked fries. One problem is that instead of cheese curds, they simply use melted cheddar. A second problem is that there wasn't that much gravy, and it was on the very bottom of the dish and largely inaccessible until you cut through the first couple layers of fries.

Knowing now what I know, I could probably order better on my next visit. And the menu intrigued me. But after my first experience, I'm just not really in a hurry to return.
  • Post #74 - March 13th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #74 - March 13th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #74 - March 13th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    My wife wanted to take advantage of some kind of amazon related delivery coupon so we ordered delivery yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Burgers and fries via delivery doesn't personally sound all that appealing (we aren't that close for one, so i anticipated a sloppy steamed disappointment) but everything was nicely packaged, burgs were really flavorful (i had the duxelle), and fries were well seasoned, crisp, and loaded with kimchi, bacon, cheese...a hot mess in the best kind of way.
  • Post #75 - March 14th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    Post #75 - March 14th, 2017, 4:02 pm Post #75 - March 14th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    Just an FYI: the "Umami" burger is now called the "Duxelle" burger, presumably due to some trademark issues of "Umami Burger", the chain, coming to town.
  • Post #76 - March 17th, 2018, 12:22 pm
    Post #76 - March 17th, 2018, 12:22 pm Post #76 - March 17th, 2018, 12:22 pm
    Went back to bopNGrill last night (Rogers Park edition; they're now in Lakeview and Revival as well). The bNg burger and kimchi fries were both as gluttonous and delicious as ever. Nothing new to add other than the addresses but figured the thread could use a bump to remind people of the ongoing greatness of this place.

bopNGrill Lakeview
    921 W Belmont Ave
    (773) 799-8868
    Mon–Sun: 11:00 am – 10:00 pm​

Revival
    125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL 60603
    (773) 999-9411
    Mon–Fri: 10:30am – 7pm

Contact

About

Team

Advertize