LTH Home

Best Italian Beef

Best Italian Beef
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 32 of 34
  • Post #931 - May 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm
    Post #931 - May 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm Post #931 - May 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm
    Brushman4 wrote:{a lot of quotes snipped to maintain continuity - what is it doing in this thread?} :?
    Have I finally come across another old regular from Bucket O Suds (BOS)? Probably the most legendary bar in chicago, mainly due to the PT Barnum of bartenders, Joe Danno. I first met Joe and his sister Fina in 1973 and we became fast friends up until his last day in business some years ago.
    This is a place that deserves its own thread, even though it is long gone. Real italian kitchen cooking and home made hard liquor!!! If there are any other old BOS'rs out there let me know and we can start a thread to figure out the recipe for elixer of lucifer.
    Bob
    I was not a regular; but, as this LTHF thread annotates, I was in it a lot of times until it closed in 1996 {just like a certain indoor soccer team}.
    Yes, we can certainly discuss it. I think it would be best for everyone if we did this discussion on the above mentioned thread. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #932 - December 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm
    Post #932 - December 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm Post #932 - December 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm
    Just a bump...

I was a regular at Johnnies in Elmwood Park for years, and fwiw, still consider it my personal benchmark for the best.
    I'd been to the Johnnies in Arlington Heights several times, and had the lasting memory that it was not up to the standard of Elmwood Park.
    That said, I visited the Arlington Heights branch yesterday, and perhaps my palate was dulled by living in the time of COVID - but I would have sworn that branch has actually upped their game.
    For the first time I can remember - the spice level in the beef matched Elmwood Park's, and the sandwich gave me that deep satisfying warmth that makes Johnnies unique. And the beef serving was generous, perhaps larger than my last few from the original location.
    Not bad... not bad at all!
  • Post #933 - December 16th, 2021, 9:27 am
    Post #933 - December 16th, 2021, 9:27 am Post #933 - December 16th, 2021, 9:27 am
    rfleisch1 wrote:Just a bump...

I was a regular at Johnnies in Elmwood Park for years, and fwiw, still consider it my personal benchmark for the best.
    I'd been to the Johnnies in Arlington Heights several times, and had the lasting memory that it was not up to the standard of Elmwood Park.
    That said, I visited the Arlington Heights branch yesterday, and perhaps my palate was dulled by living in the time of COVID - but I would have sworn that branch has actually upped their game.
    For the first time I can remember - the spice level in the beef matched Elmwood Park's, and the sandwich gave me that deep satisfying warmth that makes Johnnies unique. And the beef serving was generous, perhaps larger than my last few from the original location.

While the taste of the original Johnnies is still top notch, they are very inconsistent in portion sizes. Sometimes you get a nice full sandwich, sometimes it's a little lacking.
  • Post #934 - December 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm
    Post #934 - December 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm Post #934 - December 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm
    thetrob wrote:
    rfleisch1 wrote:Just a bump...

While the taste of the original Johnnies is still top notch, they are very inconsistent in portion sizes. Sometimes you get a nice full sandwich, sometimes it's a little lacking.
    I usually am happy with both Johnnie's in terms of similar taste but they are definitely inconsistent on size and even how they dip. If it's skimpy and I'm still hungry I'll just get a second beef. Still in my top 5 after all these years.
  • Post #935 - December 16th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    Post #935 - December 16th, 2021, 7:27 pm Post #935 - December 16th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    I fell victim to a bit of a beef bender towards the end of the summer and really got to appreciate Jay's in Harwood Heights. The portion is great and, for my 6-8 visits, consistent in size and quality. The giardiniera is mostly lightly pickled celery and (ultra mild) jalapenos with a spoonful of red pepper flakes for color and is so mild, it seems like something I'd dislike but I can't: It's a great topping for the sandwich. It tastes fresh and green with a little tang, just great stuff.

One thing I do dislike are their fries which I get every time I go.
  • Post #936 - December 18th, 2021, 11:41 am
    Post #936 - December 18th, 2021, 11:41 am Post #936 - December 18th, 2021, 11:41 am
    Apologies for double posts but here's da beef:

https://imgur.com/a/xnU0waD
  • Post #937 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:43 pm
    Post #937 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:43 pm Post #937 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:43 pm
    Italian Beef Pop-Up!

Hey all if you're a big fan of old fashioned (made from scratch) Italian beef you should come say what's up to me and Eric May aka Jefe. We're taking over the Kedzie Inn this Monday (3/7) from 5-9p in collabo with the Chicago Reader's Foodball. The menu will be Eric's top notch Italian beef served up in fresh baked D'Amato's bread with the option to make it a combo by adding a piece of char grilled Italian Sausage from Nottoli & Son. There's even a vegan friendly sandwich offering that replaces beef with Portobello mushrooms cooked in their own juice. Complete details in the link below which includes a link to pre-order. Walk-ins will be welcome but exactly how many wont be known so it's best to order ahead to guarantee your beef. Hope to see some of you there.

https://chicagoreader.com/food-drink/ge ... -mix-beef/
  • Post #938 - March 4th, 2022, 11:11 am
    Post #938 - March 4th, 2022, 11:11 am Post #938 - March 4th, 2022, 11:11 am
    Will be there! Is this an unofficial LTH reunion yet?
  • Post #939 - March 29th, 2022, 12:15 pm
    Post #939 - March 29th, 2022, 12:15 pm Post #939 - March 29th, 2022, 12:15 pm
    Although they make it occasionally, Cigars and Stripes in Berwyn has a killer smoked italian beef. I honestly think it's better than most. Keep an eye out on their social media, they usually have it every other month or so.
  • Post #940 - April 12th, 2022, 1:39 pm
    Post #940 - April 12th, 2022, 1:39 pm Post #940 - April 12th, 2022, 1:39 pm
    jimswside wrote:might squeeze in a couple stops this week, hit Dukes Drive-In over on Harlem Ave. in Bridgeview yesterday. Cool spot:

Sandwich was pretty good, definitely worth the stop. Alot of beef - good stuff, nice sausage link, and a good pepper mix.

Duke's Combo Hot:

I bet their address has been posted before but her it is again:

Dukes Italian Beef Drive In
    8115 S. Harlem
    Bridgeview, IL.

http://www.dukesitalianbeef.com

As seen on facebook:
    True Dukes will be coming back June 2022 New location 19990 South La Grange Road, Mokena, IL 60448 Part of the Gas and Wash. The New owner promises to bring back the same menu and recipes! Family friends of the old owners for decades.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #941 - April 14th, 2022, 10:25 am
    Post #941 - April 14th, 2022, 10:25 am Post #941 - April 14th, 2022, 10:25 am
    I only tried Duke's in Bridgeview once ten years ago and I was not impressed. But I know they are a sentimental favorite of a lot of people. Mokena is a drive, even from Bridgeview.
  • Post #942 - June 14th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    Post #942 - June 14th, 2022, 2:15 pm Post #942 - June 14th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    Because I am a) a bit contrary, b) stubborn, and c) mildly insane, I decided today was a good day to ride my bike from Skokie to Harwood Heights to try Jay's Beef.

Despite the high 90's heat the ride was fine. The beef was better.

I usually go for sweet and wet, but I asked for the broth on the side today (and yes, partly so I could dip the sandwich, and partly because a bit of beefy salty broth struck me as something good to drink).

This was a top tier beef: excellent serving size, good bread that held together well and had nice bite, terrific beef, and honestly, the nicest, most generous, and best prepared sweet peppers I've had on a beef anywhere.

I'd classify this beef on the beefy, but not spicy side of the spectrum. I suspect that folks who take it with hot peppers and gardiniera might find it a bit too tame.

But I think it is very, very good, and it makes me sorry that I had passed this place up for so many years.

The people working today were genuinely concerned that I was properly hydrated, and could not have been nicer. One of the co-owners chatted with me while I was preparing to depart, and I suspect he wanted to verify my mental capacity having heard I rode 12 miles in 97 degree heat to order Jay's beef.

Jay's is now on my short list for Best of the Best.
  • Post #943 - June 18th, 2022, 2:00 pm
    Post #943 - June 18th, 2022, 2:00 pm Post #943 - June 18th, 2022, 2:00 pm
    I went Johnnie's in Elmwood Park a couple weeks ago since it's by my work and I just don't think it's anything special.

I went to Jay's a couple years ago and remember really enjoying it.
  • Post #944 - June 24th, 2022, 2:03 pm
    Post #944 - June 24th, 2022, 2:03 pm Post #944 - June 24th, 2022, 2:03 pm
    I was at Johnnie's in Arlington Heights on June 9th after a few years of not having it. It was as good as ever. Still in my top 5. I only had one beef and fries this time. I think my days of always having two beefs at Johnnie's are over. I like being at a healthy, normal weight again.
  • Post #945 - October 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm
    Post #945 - October 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm Post #945 - October 25th, 2022, 5:12 pm
    A Day in the Life of Italian Beef Favorite Johnnie’s Beef

https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2 ... hoto-essay
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #946 - November 3rd, 2022, 6:35 am
    Post #946 - November 3rd, 2022, 6:35 am Post #946 - November 3rd, 2022, 6:35 am
    If you subscribe to the Trib, Nick Kindelsperger just posted = The ultimate guide to Chicago’s Italian beef = https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... -list.html

At its most basic, the Italian beef is a thinly sliced roast beef sandwich served with juices derived from the roasting process. (Depending on the stand, this liquid is called jus, juice or gravy.) This makes it the rare sandwich where a liquid plays an integral role in the finished product, and also explains why words like “mushy,” “wet” and “soggy” are often used to describe an Italian beef.

In that way, the Italian beef shares many similarities with the French dip, but unlike that Los Angeles creation, the jus isn’t served neatly on the side in a little cup for you to dunk in at your leisure. Instead, the bread is often briefly dipped or emphatically dunked in the juices.

What’s referred to as French bread is mostly used. Commonly, this is made by Turano Baking Company, a large bakery based in suburban Berwyn.

Of course, this still doesn’t quite nail what people love about the sandwich so much. As I wrote once before, “this is a sandwich that starts with a heap of humble ingredients, which are transformed, by pure engineering skill, into one of the meatiest and messiest sandwiches on earth.”
  • Post #947 - November 3rd, 2022, 7:55 am
    Post #947 - November 3rd, 2022, 7:55 am Post #947 - November 3rd, 2022, 7:55 am
    In my opinion, comparing an Italian Beef to a French Dip is like saying that earthworms and snakes must be related. Morphologically similar, their evolution is widely separated.

The Philly Cheesesteak is probably the closest relative to the Italian Beef: same origin of the immigrants that made them both, same desire to take a cheap, highly seasoned cut of beef and feed a crowd. Dinic's Roast Pork seems like The Missing Link, but all three are a likely convergent evolution -- I don't think they influenced each other.

The French Dip on the other hand, is an attempt to make a fancy sammich.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #948 - November 3rd, 2022, 9:57 am
    Post #948 - November 3rd, 2022, 9:57 am Post #948 - November 3rd, 2022, 9:57 am
    JoelF wrote:In my opinion, comparing an Italian Beef to a French Dip is like saying that earthworms and snakes must be related. Morphologically similar, their evolution is widely separated.

The Philly Cheesesteak is probably the closest relative to the Italian Beef: same origin of the immigrants that made them both, same desire to take a cheap, highly seasoned cut of beef and feed a crowd. Dinic's Roast Pork seems like The Missing Link, but all three are a likely convergent evolution -- I don't think they influenced each other.

The French Dip on the other hand, is an attempt to make a fancy sammich.

I feel like you are just being pedantic. Nick is clearly only talking about the "morphological" similarities and it's not like the origins of any of these sandwiches is particularly complex. The French dip is of fairly humble origins as well and one of the originators also dunked the bread in jus. It just happens jus on the side is the more well-known variation.

I mean, if you were going to describe an Italian Beef to someone (which are relatively unknown outside of Chicago, at least until that one TV show), you aren't going to say it's like a Philly Cheesesteak with no cheese, no jus, different beef and may or may not have onion/bell peppers instead of pickled peppers. You would go down the same path as Nick.
  • Post #949 - November 3rd, 2022, 1:20 pm
    Post #949 - November 3rd, 2022, 1:20 pm Post #949 - November 3rd, 2022, 1:20 pm
    I have a friend in Philadelphia that once asked what an Italian beef sandwich was and if it was similar to a Philly cheese steak. He was impressed at how much more went into making one here.

The dipping of the entire beef sandwich is vital to me because the bread becomes the delivery vehicle for the spices and fat in the juice/gravy. I was once at the old Al's in Addison and at the time I didn't order my beefs dipped. I was a dry with a side of juice guy. Even though I poured the little cup of juice over the beef it wasn't working for me; the whole sandwich was bland. The next time I had them dip it and everything changed. It was WAY tastier now. I haven't looked back. One of the beef joints near me that is decent is Luke's of Lake Bluff but the bread completely disintegrates when it's dipped so when I am there I get a big cup of juice to dip every bite like a French Dip.

I am probably going back to Roma's tonight for the first time since around 2010. I have heard they changed owners a few years ago and not a lot of nice things have been said about this regime change, but I am along for the ride this time so that's where we are likely to go.
  • Post #950 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
    Post #950 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:41 pm Post #950 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
    botd wrote:I feel like you are just being pedantic. Nick is clearly only talking about the "morphological" similarities and it's not like the origins of any of these sandwiches is particularly complex. The French dip is of fairly humble origins as well and one of the originators also dunked the bread in jus. It just happens jus on the side is the more well-known variation.

You may be correct but....

I feel that Italian beef is so different than french dip, that this comparison also fails.
  • Post #951 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm
    Post #951 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm Post #951 - November 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm
    Despite some of the differences on comparisons, I think we can all agree that an Italian beef is the far superior sandwich amongst the 3.

And the French dip is easily the worst imo.

The only small advantage of the Philly cheesesteak is that it can be made in a much shorter timeframe. But 95% of the time, I'm ordering these sandwiches in a shop.
  • Post #952 - November 3rd, 2022, 11:05 pm
    Post #952 - November 3rd, 2022, 11:05 pm Post #952 - November 3rd, 2022, 11:05 pm
    I had a 9" Jumbo beef at Roma's tonight and I'm happy to say it was great. Loved the skinny fresh cut fries. Strange that they didn't have any prices posted. In fact I had no idea what my meal cost until I checked my credit card a little later. It was around $15.00 for the beef, fries and drink. They had fallen off my radar for over 10 years but I will be definitely be back.
  • Post #953 - November 4th, 2022, 1:01 pm
    Post #953 - November 4th, 2022, 1:01 pm Post #953 - November 4th, 2022, 1:01 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    botd wrote:I feel like you are just being pedantic. Nick is clearly only talking about the "morphological" similarities and it's not like the origins of any of these sandwiches is particularly complex. The French dip is of fairly humble origins as well and one of the originators also dunked the bread in jus. It just happens jus on the side is the more well-known variation.

You may be correct but....

I feel that Italian beef is so different than french dip, that this comparison also fails.

They are both roasted beef sandwiches dipped in jus. They might be spiced and topped (somewhat) differently, but I don't think you could find two different dishes that are easier to compare without finding things that are actually just the same.
  • Post #954 - May 11th, 2023, 5:48 am
    Post #954 - May 11th, 2023, 5:48 am Post #954 - May 11th, 2023, 5:48 am
    Navy Pier now home to one of Chicago’s best new Italian beefs — and possibly also one of the oldest.
    By Nick Kindelsperger
    Years before the hit FX show, “The Bear” made the humble Italian beef suddenly hip last year, I’ve been hunting for Chicago’s best version. I’ve scoured classic beef stands, waited in line at numerous Italian delis and even spotted some creative interpretations from our city’s best chefs.

One place I never thought to look? Navy Pier. The tourist mecca offers tremendous views, and the food options have improved over the past decade, but the notion that a great Italian beef lurked near a Ferris wheel was not on my radar.

Yet halfway down the pier, Ciccio Italian Beef dishes out a version unlike any in town. While most shops shave the beef paper thin, Ciccio’s beef is slightly thicker, yet stunningly tender and almost steak-like. Instead of a soft and squishy roll, this one features a crackly crust that gives way to a supremely tender interior that soaks up the beefy juices without turning to mush. Whether or not it’s the best in the city is debatable, but it’s a fascinating new option.

Turns out, Ciccio owner Mario Ferraro is no newbie to the Italian beef game. In the 1970s, Ferraro even ran Mia’s Beef and Sausage at 1729 N. Cicero Ave.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #955 - May 17th, 2023, 5:47 pm
    Post #955 - May 17th, 2023, 5:47 pm Post #955 - May 17th, 2023, 5:47 pm
    I just came to post the Ciccio’s thing and see someone beat me to it. But has anyone been? Is that weird crystal garden thing still going strong on Navy Pier? If so maybe I’ll drag the kids out there and give a shot for the greater good and “research” purposes.

On the beef itself, other than the old man perhaps peddling earlier, the thicker beef slices sounds a little off-putting, but the hard Canadian bun like it might be a slight improvement. No real commentary on the all important giardiniera and gravy categories though. I think Nick K. is slipping a bit by focusing on the human interest aspects rather than these other critical components - which makes me a little suspicious - but I’m still intrigued.

BTW, slight make-up for getting scooped is that I got to the read the I Beef v. Au Jus discussion, which is hilarious. I love this place.

I’ll report back.
  • Post #956 - May 18th, 2023, 12:43 am
    Post #956 - May 18th, 2023, 12:43 am Post #956 - May 18th, 2023, 12:43 am
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:I just came to post the Ciccio’s thing and see someone beat me to it. But has anyone been? Is that weird crystal garden thing still going strong on Navy Pier?

No more Crystal Gardens (they were privatized during a recent overhaul that really improved the Pier's aesthetics though didn't really change the touristy vibe).

We were there about a year ago when Ciccio's was just getting going (might have even been a soft opening). At that time they really pushed the sandwiches and pasta, fashioning themselves an authentic Italian-American-Chicagoan meatball and sandwich joint vs. a typical "beef stand". My 12yo son is an IB aficionado but HAD to try the Meatballs with pasta after seeing (and perhaps sampling?) those beauties in the warming pan. While lots of diners patronized the nearby Big Bowl express (my daughter's meal there was criminally overpriced and bad), we were the only customers at Ciccio's and struck up a conversation with the staff. They were convinced their beef was the best in the city and made sure we got generous samples to see for ourselves. I remember it being good but not life-changingly so. There's a reason I haven't mentioned it here until now, though admittedly I didn't get to experience the full sandwich.

I'll say this for Ciccio's - it's definitely one of the top options for a casual bite at Navy Pier. But I'll leave it to others to debate whether it's worth braving the hordes to try it.
  • Post #957 - May 18th, 2023, 6:56 am
    Post #957 - May 18th, 2023, 6:56 am Post #957 - May 18th, 2023, 6:56 am
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:I just came to post the Ciccio’s thing and see someone beat me to it. But has anyone been? Is that weird crystal garden thing still going strong on Navy Pier? If so maybe I’ll drag the kids out there and give a shot for the greater good and “research” purposes.

We are out on Navy Pier a few times a year for Shakespeare Theater, but we rarely eat there (we typically take public trans and walk from Ogilvie, State & Grand or Clark/Lake depending on which train we get on, so there's plenty of better, and often cheaper options). I'll encourage trying this for the next show.

One other Navy Pier note: The first time I saw the very plain "IDOF" sign at a distance, I tried to figure out what it is -- it's terrible marketing as it doesn't help draw people in at all. It may be "I Dream of Falafel" but the only thing I could come up with at a distance is "International Domicile of Flapjacks"
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #958 - May 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm
    Post #958 - May 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm Post #958 - May 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm
    Ohmigawd! What is occuring here! :shock:
    The world is being exposed to Italian Beef by (admittedly Buona backed [since 2017]) Italian Beef Day today 27 May 2023.
    Yet there was no mention of this anywhere on LTHF!
    I type this from Kinslahger Brwg. on Roosevelt Road in Oak Park (but across the road is Berwyn). But it appears I will not get a free or discounted Italian Beef from Buona (across the road ~ this is the original location) because I do not have its mobile phone app.
    No.
    No.
    Even the pledge of a free or discounted Italian Beef sandwich will not influence me to get a mobile phone.
    This is a trap from which there is no extraction. You are a slave to that phone. Yes, I scribed "slave". I have a deep reservation about anybody becoming a slave. It may be something you are willing to accept. (I am | was? a member of a sexpositive W-WW site where other members are willing to accept the slave brand.)
    So - am I going to cross the road over to Buona and 'reward' it for its web-app-only offer, , or remanuever my brewery-seeking jaunt to get to Johnnie's on W. North Ave.? (I am on a 7-day Ventra pass.) I contemplate.
    The correct response finally congeled after I posted this (and went to the washroom). I should take the Pace route #311 Oak Park Ave. bus to North Ave. and Michael's Beef Stand, which is not involved with any of this kerfluffle.
    I already had an Italian Beef from Scatchell's another day ago.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #959 - May 29th, 2023, 3:12 pm
    Post #959 - May 29th, 2023, 3:12 pm Post #959 - May 29th, 2023, 3:12 pm
    There is somebody else on North Ave. that had free Italian beef yesterday. I forget who it was. I was going to post yesterday, but I never got around to it.
  • Post #960 - May 29th, 2023, 6:10 pm
    Post #960 - May 29th, 2023, 6:10 pm Post #960 - May 29th, 2023, 6:10 pm
    NFriday wrote:There is somebody else on North Ave. that had free Italian beef yesterday. I forget who it was. I was going to post yesterday, but I never got around to it.

If you can remember who it was I will resume my efforts to construct a Time Machine.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more