LTH Home

kid-friendly restaurants

kid-friendly restaurants
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 12th, 2009, 10:20 am
    Post #91 - January 12th, 2009, 10:20 am Post #91 - January 12th, 2009, 10:20 am
    CM2772 wrote:I agree that some kids are better behaved then others and you can't teach an infant how to behave at a restaurant.

Actually, you can--but it might not be good for the infant! My mother drilled into us with the negative reinforcement of glares, harsh tones, and withholding of affection that we should be "good little adults" when brought to fine dining establishments. It was a mixed blessing, for sure. We got to eat well, and be exposed to "the finer things in life," and we learned how to behave ourselves so as not to humiliate her, but on balance I think it might have been better for our psyches if we had eaten in more family-appropriate places until a later age.

Granted, as noted, there are vast differences between children's temperaments, there are also vast differences in parental temperaments and instructional methods. I have no doubt that some children behave themselves well in fine dining environments without the use of harsh behavior modification techniques. But if such are required, they perhaps shouldn't be employed even if successful.
  • Post #92 - January 12th, 2009, 10:35 am
    Post #92 - January 12th, 2009, 10:35 am Post #92 - January 12th, 2009, 10:35 am
    elakin wrote:
    I already feel selfish about bringing our daughter to restaurants, including kid friendly restaurants, based upon my respect for other diners.

why???

i mean, i understand if the kid's screaming, that would take away from the dining experience of others. but if my kid starts screaming, we go outside. if we can't get him to stop, we leave.

is there some reason i should feel selfish about eating in a restaurant with my three year old and five month old if they're not screaming?

I agree, we have not run into a screaming meltdown yet, but if our daughter gets antsy(shes only a little over 2, so that is expected), we take turns going for a walk to the bar area, lobby, or if the weather permits it outside for a quick walk/diversion.

I would hate to be banished to the likes of Chuck-e-Cheese, Cracker Barrel, Fridays, other dreadfull chains, or eating only at home for the next few years.
  • Post #93 - January 12th, 2009, 11:58 am
    Post #93 - January 12th, 2009, 11:58 am Post #93 - January 12th, 2009, 11:58 am
    jimswside wrote:
    elakin wrote:
    I already feel selfish about bringing our daughter to restaurants, including kid friendly restaurants, based upon my respect for other diners.

why???

i mean, i understand if the kid's screaming, that would take away from the dining experience of others. but if my kid starts screaming, we go outside. if we can't get him to stop, we leave.

is there some reason i should feel selfish about eating in a restaurant with my three year old and five month old if they're not screaming?

I agree, we have not run into a screaming meltdown yet, but if our daughter gets antsy(shes only a little over 2, so that is expected), we take turns going for a walk to the bar area, lobby, or if the weather permits it outside for a quick walk/diversion.

I would hate to be banished to the likes of Chuck-e-Cheese, Cracker Barrel, Fridays, other dreadfull chains, or eating only at home for the next few years.

Whenever our two-year-old gets antsy at restaurants, we pull out the portable dvd player.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #94 - January 12th, 2009, 12:02 pm
    Post #94 - January 12th, 2009, 12:02 pm Post #94 - January 12th, 2009, 12:02 pm
    Fujisan wrote: Whenever our two-year-old gets antsy at restaurants, we pull out the portable dvd player.

thats a good plan. I am always willing to get up, and go to the bar area to help out the situation(and check a score of a game while I am at it).
  • Post #95 - January 12th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    Post #95 - January 12th, 2009, 2:23 pm Post #95 - January 12th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    We totally love the Palace Grill, because we sit on the stools by the grill. My son is old enough now (4) and LOVES to watch the "fire". The waitress knows us and knows what we order too!
  • Post #96 - July 21st, 2011, 1:23 pm
    Post #96 - July 21st, 2011, 1:23 pm Post #96 - July 21st, 2011, 1:23 pm
    My kids are starting to have opinions. When they were little they'd eat anything anywhere. Now it's a different story... sigh. Let's hope this is a phase! What happened to my little 2 yr old eating tripe? My 3 yr old eating a banh mi?

The best kids experiences I've had dining out have been at family-run ethnic places that will tone down the spice in a dish or bring extra of something the kids find pleasing - but my girls love it when they order off the "kids menu".

What is the best kids menu you've seen in town? We love Candlelite's kids menu.
  • Post #97 - July 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm
    Post #97 - July 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm Post #97 - July 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm
    For a chain, I've always thought Cosi had a pretty good kids menu. Sandwich or pizza, juice box, carrot sticks. Frankly, it's hard to find a kids menu that does not consist of the usual carb+cheese suspects, though. And chicken tenders.
  • Post #98 - July 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm
    Post #98 - July 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm Post #98 - July 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm
    I hate kids menus. Grilled cheese, burger, chicken fingers, or hotdog all served with fries and choice of soda or milk. I haven't found any that I like. Interested to see responses/recommendations.
  • Post #99 - July 21st, 2011, 5:01 pm
    Post #99 - July 21st, 2011, 5:01 pm Post #99 - July 21st, 2011, 5:01 pm
    essie wrote:I hate kids menus. Grilled cheese, burger, chicken fingers, or hotdog all served with fries and choice of soda or milk. I haven't found any that I like. Interested to see responses/recommendations.

I agree. We usually order an appetizer for our 4-year-old, if one is available and appropriate (as in, at one place, there was an app of tandoori arctic char with raita and some veg - a perfect meal for a child... if you have a child like mine). Otherwise, we share whatever we're having. I have thus far managed to avoid any grilled cheese, chicken fingers, hotdogs, orange mac 'n cheese, and the rest of the standard child menu fare.
  • Post #100 - July 21st, 2011, 5:11 pm
    Post #100 - July 21st, 2011, 5:11 pm Post #100 - July 21st, 2011, 5:11 pm
    Here are a few other threads on related topics that might be of interest:

Chicagoland Kid-friendly Restaurants

kid-friendly restaurants

Best GNRs for kids

Then there is the ever-entertaining

Be Kind to Breeders: Babies in Restaurants

(which really is only tangentially related...)
  • Post #101 - July 21st, 2011, 9:11 pm
    Post #101 - July 21st, 2011, 9:11 pm Post #101 - July 21st, 2011, 9:11 pm
    gtgirl wrote:
    essie wrote:I hate kids menus. Grilled cheese, burger, chicken fingers, or hotdog all served with fries and choice of soda or milk. I haven't found any that I like. Interested to see responses/recommendations.

I agree. We usually order an appetizer for our 4-year-old, if one is available and appropriate (as in, at one place, there was an app of tandoori arctic char with raita and some veg - a perfect meal for a child... if you have a child like mine). Otherwise, we share whatever we're having. I have thus far managed to avoid any grilled cheese, chicken fingers, hotdogs, orange mac 'n cheese, and the rest of the standard child menu fare.

We also try to do the same thing as gtgirl when we are eating out. Since I like to expose my kids to different types of food, we try to avoid the kid's menu. It also helps that my kids are not afraid to try something new.
  • Post #102 - September 10th, 2019, 8:49 pm
    Post #102 - September 10th, 2019, 8:49 pm Post #102 - September 10th, 2019, 8:49 pm
    Resurrecting an old thread!

My wife's brother, along with his girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter are coming to visit. He said she eats "everything" and is not picky. I'd like a little help targeting places that she'd not only find kid-friendly (I feel like most places I'd think of have kid friendly items) but also places she might really enjoy and find to be fun.

We live in Park Ridge, but plan to spend most of our time closer to downtown doing some more classic Chicago things.

Initially, Joy Yee in Chinatown comes to mind - we will be relatively near there after a Museum of Science and Industry visit. The food seems relatively interesting combined with bubble tea being fun for kids, along with the unique Chinatown location.

Mity Nice Grill (or FoodLife) could be a fun lunch stop after wandering around the Mag Mile and would be a cool experience.

Maybe Al's Beef (plain) could be fun.

I'd totally go to Ed Debevic's if it still existed.

What else am I missing? Something almost geared towards being fun for kids, while not being a total vacuum of culture and quality, a-la Rainforest Cafe?
  • Post #103 - September 10th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    Post #103 - September 10th, 2019, 9:33 pm Post #103 - September 10th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    If you go to Chinatown, consider going to Legend Tasty House on Wentworth for “rolled ice cream” for dessert. Fun to watch them make it as well as for kids (and adults) to eat it.
    http://www.legendtastyhouse.com/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more