LTH Home

Aldo's R.I.P.

Aldo's R.I.P.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Aldo's R.I.P.

Post #1 - June 12th, 2004, 6:33 pm
    Post #1 - June 12th, 2004, 6:33 pm Post #1 - June 12th, 2004, 6:33 pm
    I went to my favorite sub place today, and it was gone. I don't know how long it's been. The sign is still up, but the inside is empty and it looks like someone is making an apartment out of it.

I'm sure most of you have never heard of it or probably know better places. But I've been going there for over 20 years. I didn't get there as often as I'd like because the location on Grand west of Central is such a rotten spot to get to and park. But I was never disappointed when I did make the trek.

I don't know why they fell out of favor, the quality never really changed. When I first started going there you couldn't get near the place during lunch. And the last few years it was just empty all the time. I can't blame them for finally giving up.

But they had a good run and I hope they made enough to retire on. It's just always sad to see an old reliable place bite the dust.
  • Post #2 - June 18th, 2004, 2:37 am
    Post #2 - June 18th, 2004, 2:37 am Post #2 - June 18th, 2004, 2:37 am
    Aldo's closed? That's too bad but thanks for mentioning it. I liked the place too but didn't get there very often. I always thought they served a very respectable sub (always with red onion) and their Italian beefs weren't bad at all either. I learned very quickly they (especially the mother) had a tendency to drown the poor subs in oil and vinegar so you really had to keep an eye on them.

Anyone remember Mario & Pat's, also on Grand but much farther east? That was my favorite place in Chicago for a sub until they closed in the early '90s (?). They used bread from nearby D'Amato's and marinated big chunks of tomato (actually good tomatoes, at least in season) in oil and vinegar. In the same neighborhood, Bari Grocery is carrying on the tradition of excellent sandwiches but when Mario & Pat's was around I usually went there instead.

Addresses for historical purposes only:

Aldo's
    5747 W Grand Av
    Chicago

Mario & Pat's
    1627 W Grand Av
    Chicago
  • Post #3 - June 18th, 2004, 4:48 pm
    Post #3 - June 18th, 2004, 4:48 pm Post #3 - June 18th, 2004, 4:48 pm
    Well I'm glad to see that at least one person has heard of Aldo's. Sorry to say, I never had the pleasure of trying Mario and Pat's.

The worst part of the whole situation was the circumstances. I was out shopping with my wife at Dominicks. They had these huge sub sandwiches on display that actually looked good, I mean REAL GOOD. But I talked my out of buying it, promising instead to take her to Aldo's. You better believe, all weekend long, all I heard was, "You could have just bought the sandwich, but NO, you had to go to Aldo's."

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more