LTH Home

THE pizza that makes Piece stand apart

THE pizza that makes Piece stand apart
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 24th, 2023, 5:53 pm
    Post #61 - March 24th, 2023, 5:53 pm Post #61 - March 24th, 2023, 5:53 pm
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Just ordered a large with half pepperoni and green olives, and half cheese, through Piece's website. After a normal tip, the total cost came to just under $50...

... for 1 pizza. I'm not sure what just happened.

Ouch.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - March 25th, 2023, 10:11 am
    Post #62 - March 25th, 2023, 10:11 am Post #62 - March 25th, 2023, 10:11 am
    That’s a little shocking to me. We routinely get Piece because it’s down the street from us, and our standard order of one large pepperoni and one large sausage comes in under $60, if memory serves. What’s sort of annoying is that they charge full freight for a topping whether you get it on the whole pie, or half of the pie, which seems wrong to me but tolerable given the product.

My main bitch about Piece is not the prices but the crabby staff. JFC they are angry to see you and serve you. The bouncers act like it’s a crime to have kids there after 6, and the servers like you have a social disease if you ask a question. I’ve pretty much stopped going there because of it, but do the take-out still because I don’t feel like John’s on Western all the time.

Bucktown could use another solid option.
  • Post #63 - March 30th, 2023, 9:20 pm
    Post #63 - March 30th, 2023, 9:20 pm Post #63 - March 30th, 2023, 9:20 pm
    HI,

I would be very reluctant to open anything in this post. Maybe it is innocent, but it sounds creepy.

You diminish your message when you make people wonder if a click will invite a virus or seeing something unmentionable.

Please consider carefully what you write.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Ooof. I can't really add much to this thread. I was at Piece a couple of weeks ago [I'm composing this from the bar at Sleeping Village.], but I did not eat anything there - It was a Monday night, and I had had a half-price hamburger at Estelle's.
    The beers are really good. I believe they never actually slipped in terms of quality despite Jonathan Cutler's death.
    I shall reveal a little secret from an adult-oriented background with respect to the Piece World-Wide Web site.
    Observe this image from there.
    Open it into another browser tab.
    Go onto the URL line in your W-WW browser.
    Back-parse this URL back to the virgule after "/images/". {You need to leave up the trailing virgule.}
    Ohmigawd - it is the directory of every image Piece has ever uploaded to its W-WW site. You can click on "last modified" to sort them. Save the image of Jonathan Cutler [R.I.P.]? Do it. :idea:
    {You can PM me for how this enabled me to remotely download, on a v.92 connection, any number of jpgs from similarly open directories.}
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #64 - March 31st, 2023, 8:57 pm
    Post #64 - March 31st, 2023, 8:57 pm Post #64 - March 31st, 2023, 8:57 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Bucktown could use another solid option.

Have you tried The Stopalong?!! It's genuinely fantastic pizza, and the staff couldn't be nicer.
  • Post #65 - April 9th, 2023, 7:09 am
    Post #65 - April 9th, 2023, 7:09 am Post #65 - April 9th, 2023, 7:09 am
    The Stopalong is indeed excellent; not only pizza but the burger as well.
  • Post #66 - April 10th, 2023, 12:37 pm
    Post #66 - April 10th, 2023, 12:37 pm Post #66 - April 10th, 2023, 12:37 pm
    Agreed, the pizza is good at Stopalong but I always get a burger there. Of course the best thing about that place is the free play video games. Remembering all the warp zones in Super Mario Bros is one of my favorite ways to to show off to my kids.
  • Post #67 - April 10th, 2023, 12:52 pm
    Post #67 - April 10th, 2023, 12:52 pm Post #67 - April 10th, 2023, 12:52 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Agreed, the pizza is good at Stopalong but I always get a burger there. Of course the best thing about that place is the free play video games. Remembering all the warp zones in Super Mario Bros is one of my favorite ways to to show off to my kids.

This is classic. Really made me smile and made my day! :)

=R=
  • Post #68 - June 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    Post #68 - June 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm Post #68 - June 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm
    Not trying to pile on, but decided to place another delivery order at Piece last night. Trying to learn from last time, we went with a medium with three full toppings (not half toppings for full price), and figured we can live without leftovers. Pricing came back at over $48. Just couldn’t pull the trigger this time for a medium. I’m guessing the small would be $45? It’s a solid pizza, but I think the next time we’d be eating it would be dine-in or carry out. Delivery doesn’t make sense any more.
  • Post #69 - June 12th, 2023, 12:59 pm
    Post #69 - June 12th, 2023, 12:59 pm Post #69 - June 12th, 2023, 12:59 pm
    Went to Piece a while ago and got one of these relatively expensive pies. Two of us also split a $17 salad and had a beer each.
    I think my pizza dinner was $100. I'm not going to single Piece out here as representating relatively poor value. I've mostly stopped eating out most places.

That being said, the host stand was particularly put out that I requested a menu (or maybe even a table). I'm just not a qr code reader guy and I don't think I need my phone to dine out.
  • Post #70 - June 12th, 2023, 1:00 pm
    Post #70 - June 12th, 2023, 1:00 pm Post #70 - June 12th, 2023, 1:00 pm
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Not trying to pile on, but decided to place another delivery order at Piece last night. Trying to learn from last time, we went with a medium with three full toppings (not half toppings for full price), and figured we can live without leftovers. Pricing came back at over $48. Just couldn’t pull the trigger this time for a medium. I’m guessing the small would be $45? It’s a solid pizza, but I think the next time we’d be eating it would be dine-in or carry out. Delivery doesn’t make sense any more.

Not necessarily defending here but pricing is up everywhere, especially in the Pizzaverse. The last deep dish we ordered from Malnati's (large, 3 toppings) came in at over $50 with tax, delivery and tip. So, don't hate the player, hate the game. 8)

=R=
  • Post #71 - June 12th, 2023, 1:11 pm
    Post #71 - June 12th, 2023, 1:11 pm Post #71 - June 12th, 2023, 1:11 pm
    Insane prices. Time to build that outdoor pizza oven…

https://rtaoutdoorliving.com/diy-pizza- ... -to-build/
  • Post #72 - June 12th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    Post #72 - June 12th, 2023, 2:45 pm Post #72 - June 12th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Delivery doesn’t make sense any more.

It's really a matter of how you value your time. If I'm headed home from work and I order ahead it's not a big inconvenience to stop or detour on my way home. If I'm already home and settled in (all the more so if the weather sucks) then I accept the price for my convenience.
  • Post #73 - June 12th, 2023, 5:17 pm
    Post #73 - June 12th, 2023, 5:17 pm Post #73 - June 12th, 2023, 5:17 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:The last deep dish we ordered from Malnati's (large, 3 toppings) came in at over $50 with tax, delivery and tip. So, don't hate the player, hate the game. 8)

=R=

Ouch. Good to know.
  • Post #74 - June 12th, 2023, 10:25 pm
    Post #74 - June 12th, 2023, 10:25 pm Post #74 - June 12th, 2023, 10:25 pm
    It's the consumers fault for paying the delivery fees. 80% of the time if you aren't able to pick up your order, you shouldn't order out. We've gotten very lazy as a society.
  • Post #75 - June 13th, 2023, 10:20 am
    Post #75 - June 13th, 2023, 10:20 am Post #75 - June 13th, 2023, 10:20 am
    gullit wrote: 80% of the time if you aren't able to pick up your order, you shouldn't order out. We've gotten very lazy as a society.

Hmmmm…what’s wrong with being “lazy”—long day, tired, kids need stuff—who are you to deem any of that a societal flaw? 180% of the time, if you aren’t offering to help, you shouldn’t criticize. We’ve gotten very judgmental as a society.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #76 - June 13th, 2023, 10:54 am
    Post #76 - June 13th, 2023, 10:54 am Post #76 - June 13th, 2023, 10:54 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Delivery doesn’t make sense any more.

It's really a matter of how you value your time. If I'm headed home from work and I order ahead it's not a big inconvenience to stop or detour on my way home. If I'm already home and settled in (all the more so if the weather sucks) then I accept the price for my convenience.

boudreaulicious wrote:
    gullit wrote: 80% of the time if you aren't able to pick up your order, you shouldn't order out. We've gotten very lazy as a society.

Hmmmm…what’s wrong with being “lazy”—long day, tired, kids need stuff—who are you to deem any of that a societal flaw? 180% of the time, if you aren’t offering to help, you shouldn’t criticize. We’ve gotten very judgmental as a society.

Yeah, I think it's very much in the eye of the beholder or bill-payer, as it may be. There are times it makes sense and others when it does not. I can say that my time is certainly (and always) worth more than $10-15/hour, which is about what it costs for me to pick up a carry-out order (~15 minutes each way vs. a $5.00 delivery charge). It often comes down to food quality. There are some items I know aren't worth ordering via delivery and that's when I decide to pick up, but even those are few and far between these days.

To bring it back to Piece, I may have posted about this upthread but the single worst delivery experience I ever had was from Piece via a third party. The driver literally handed us the pizza vertically, tilted entirely on its side. Needless to say, it was a total effing mess, with all the toppings in a goopy pile along one side of the box. Had this moron never seen a pizza before? In any case, the restaurant refused to get involved and I haven't been back to Piece since, even though they turn out a very solid pie.

=R=
  • Post #77 - June 13th, 2023, 11:49 am
    Post #77 - June 13th, 2023, 11:49 am Post #77 - June 13th, 2023, 11:49 am
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Not trying to pile on, but decided to place another delivery order at Piece last night. Trying to learn from last time, we went with a medium with three full toppings (not half toppings for full price), and figured we can live without leftovers. Pricing came back at over $48. Just couldn’t pull the trigger this time for a medium. I’m guessing the small would be $45? It’s a solid pizza, but I think the next time we’d be eating it would be dine-in or carry out. Delivery doesn’t make sense any more.

Candidly, delivery has gotten bananas most places. Either pick it up or pull from the pantry/freezer is my mode now. I have been pulling all sorts of oddities from my freezer b/c I no longer have an inventory and it just seems super full. I am not buying replacements either.

I did have pizza last week at Parlor Pizza on Kinzie (dine-in) for about $22, 1 slice remained. It was good. They charged $2 for marinara in the tiniest of vessels. I wouldn't do that again. But the All Caps pizza was delicious, leeks and an array of mushrooms.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #78 - June 13th, 2023, 3:29 pm
    Post #78 - June 13th, 2023, 3:29 pm Post #78 - June 13th, 2023, 3:29 pm
    It's been 11 years since I was last at Piece but thanks to the internet, I can read what I said back then...
    Ram4 wrote:I made it back to Piece a couple months ago and I have to say that it's a very good pizza, but nothing special. I'm not a fan of the chewiness of the crust. I'd go back, but only after a few years when I forget what it was like. Then I'll go back and go, oh yeah, this was pretty good, but there are many better options. :wink:
    Having had five of the legendary pizzerias around New Haven (a few multiple times) since I last had Piece I am ready to go back to Piece appreciating what New Haven apizza is truly like to give it another chance. I liked Piece both times I had it, but I didn't love it back then.
  • Post #79 - June 16th, 2023, 11:45 am
    Post #79 - June 16th, 2023, 11:45 am Post #79 - June 16th, 2023, 11:45 am
    Piece is another brewery I might visit because I have learned about {and visited} at least one brewery which is not listed in the ICBG Passport but is issuing visa stickers. (Conversely, this was not the case at Hailstorm, Une Annee, or One Lake.)
    It will probably be a weekday afternoon to try and couple it to a Happy Hour deal. :idea:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more