LTH Home

True Kosher Eating in Chicagoland

True Kosher Eating in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 20th, 2012, 8:09 am
    Post #31 - June 20th, 2012, 8:09 am Post #31 - June 20th, 2012, 8:09 am
    weinstein5 wrote:
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:I haven't eaten here yet, but their fliers stated they are kosher:

Carnivore
    6407 N Bell
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (773) 338-7773

Nothing on their website indicates that they are kosher nor are they on the CRC list so I do not think they are kosher

Same ownership as Sandwich Club/Bagel Country/Srulie's, and it's kosher,
  • Post #32 - June 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm
    Post #32 - June 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm Post #32 - June 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:

I still do not see them lists on the CRC list of kosher Chicago restaurants - also I believe those three restaurants are owned by different groups -
  • Post #33 - June 22nd, 2012, 8:43 am
    Post #33 - June 22nd, 2012, 8:43 am Post #33 - June 22nd, 2012, 8:43 am
    weinstein5 wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:

I still do not see them lists on the CRC list of kosher Chicago restaurants - also I believe those three restaurants are owned by different groups -

Nope, same ownership for all three plus that Red Mango location (although they had different ownership previously). Turning into a mini Kosher LEYE.
  • Post #34 - March 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am
    Post #34 - March 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am Post #34 - March 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am
    The Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park is going kosher. Under the supervision of the Chicago Rabbinical Council, the upscale downtown hotel has opened a dedicated kitchen to prepare certified kosher food, targeting Chicago's growing Jewish community, which expanded about 8 percent to 291,800 between 2000 and 2010, according to a study commissioned by the Jewish United Fund and Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... ng-program

Private events only for now.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 10:25 am
    Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 10:25 am Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 10:25 am
    This will be interesting to see if they do expand beyond just catering and provide Kosher food through their restaurant or room service or open a dedicated kosher restaurant like the Metro Klub at the Holiday Inn on Halstead -
  • Post #36 - July 25th, 2019, 6:23 am
    Post #36 - July 25th, 2019, 6:23 am Post #36 - July 25th, 2019, 6:23 am
    A new cafe from the owners of popular Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea opens in West Rogers Park on Thursday. Bond Coffee Collective from co-founders Max Dayan and Michael Schultz is designed to function as a gathering place for families and communities, and will abide by strict rules of kashrut, or Jewish dietary laws. It’s slated to open tomorrow at 7555 N. California Avenue with coffee drinks, smoothies, and light bites.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/7/24/207 ... -park-menu
  • Post #37 - September 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
    Post #37 - September 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm Post #37 - September 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
    We're doing a large team meeting at the end of the month. I've got one person who only eats kosher. I have a very rudimentary understanding of what this means. I would welcome any tips on how to accommodate this person as I'm ordering breakfast and lunch in. Dinner will be a family style meal in Greektown. Will he be able to eat anything there? I can handle the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free crowd. This one is new to me.
    -Mary
  • Post #38 - September 7th, 2022, 1:20 pm
    Post #38 - September 7th, 2022, 1:20 pm Post #38 - September 7th, 2022, 1:20 pm
    You need to speak to the person. There is no 1 category called kosher. Kosher comes in many forms and you need to ask this person what they will eat at the places you are going.

I was once talking to a conservative Rabbi ( conservative is a medium strict Jewish ). He told me that he would never invite an congregant over to his house for a meal because his Kosher values may not conform to the congregants Kosher values.
    Last edited by lougord99 on September 7th, 2022, 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #39 - September 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm
    Post #39 - September 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm Post #39 - September 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm
    The GP wrote:We're doing a large team meeting at the end of the month. I've got one person who only eats kosher. I have a very rudimentary understanding of what this means. I would welcome any tips on how to accommodate this person as I'm ordering breakfast and lunch in. Dinner will be a family style meal in Greektown. Will he be able to eat anything there? I can handle the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free crowd. This one is new to me.

In a nutshell: no pork, no shellfish, no mixing of meat and dairy but all this will depend how strict your kosher person is. In theory, there'll be plenty for them to order in Greektown but if they're really strict, the fact that the restaurant prepares kosher and non-kosher items in the same kitchen (same cutting boards, same knives) could be problematic. And that could also hold true for the ordered-in food, too.

If you have the opportunity, best to check with the person in advance to get some specifics rather than try to guess.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - September 7th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Post #40 - September 7th, 2022, 1:38 pm Post #40 - September 7th, 2022, 1:38 pm
    Thanks, Ronnie and lougourd. I'll talk with my colleague rather than try to guess.
    -Mary
  • Post #41 - September 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Post #41 - September 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm Post #41 - September 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    The GP wrote:Thanks, Ronnie and lougourd. I'll talk with my colleague rather than try to guess.

Get them a couple of packs of Little Debbie’s, bottle of water and call it a day.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #42 - September 7th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    Post #42 - September 7th, 2022, 3:10 pm Post #42 - September 7th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    The GP wrote:Thanks, Ronnie and lougourd. I'll talk with my colleague rather than try to guess.

Get them a couple of packs of Little Debbie’s, bottle of water and call it a day.

Ha. If I knew this person better, I might just try that. :lol:
    -Mary
  • Post #43 - September 7th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    Post #43 - September 7th, 2022, 4:10 pm Post #43 - September 7th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    The GP wrote:We're doing a large team meeting at the end of the month. I've got one person who only eats kosher. I have a very rudimentary understanding of what this means. I would welcome any tips on how to accommodate this person as I'm ordering breakfast and lunch in. Dinner will be a family style meal in Greektown. Will he be able to eat anything there? I can handle the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free crowd. This one is new to me.

In a nutshell: no pork, no shellfish, no mixing of meat and dairy but all this will depend how strict your kosher person is. In theory, there'll be plenty for them to order in Greektown but if they're really strict, the fact that the restaurant prepares kosher and non-kosher items in the same kitchen (same cutting boards, same knives) could be problematic. And that could also hold true for the ordered-in food, too.

If you have the opportunity, best to check with the person in advance to get some specifics rather than try to guess.

=R=

Can actually go well beyond this. The strictly observant won't eat any meat that isn't certified as kosher (and there are even different degrees of certification), prepared in a kosher kitchen using kosher utensils and certified ingredients by someone who is knowledgeable in the laws of kashrut. Not simply a matter of having a non-meat dish in an otherwise non-kosher establishment.

The rice may be cooked in chicken broth, potatoes/vegetables may be cooked with animal fats.

It's a long and slippery road.
  • Post #44 - September 7th, 2022, 4:20 pm
    Post #44 - September 7th, 2022, 4:20 pm Post #44 - September 7th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Pre-COVID there was an option or two downtown. Bebe's in the French Market had a selection of sandwiches and some other products but closed due to their already-small market getting smaller. There was also a kosher food truck at one time. There are places up on the North Side that can do meals to-go, but it's a pain in the ass.
  • Post #45 - September 7th, 2022, 8:54 pm
    Post #45 - September 7th, 2022, 8:54 pm Post #45 - September 7th, 2022, 8:54 pm
    I agree: ask. I know observant Jews who will only eat at a certified kosher restaurant, others who will eat vegetarian or fish in any restaurant.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #46 - September 7th, 2022, 9:26 pm
    Post #46 - September 7th, 2022, 9:26 pm Post #46 - September 7th, 2022, 9:26 pm
    There's different Kosher certifications. Some are more conservative than others. Someone who is pretty orthodox/conservative isn't going to take food from a place without certification even if it's vegetarian. The fact that they don't know if a knife that was used to cut a vegetable was used to cut meat AND cheese is enough for many to pass up any food from the restaurant altogether.

You should really talk to the person to understand how strict they really are.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #47 - January 27th, 2024, 8:19 pm
    Post #47 - January 27th, 2024, 8:19 pm Post #47 - January 27th, 2024, 8:19 pm
    marothisu wrote:There's different Kosher certifications. Some are more conservative than others. Someone who is pretty orthodox/conservative isn't going to take food from a place without certification even if it's vegetarian. The fact that they don't know if a knife that was used to cut a vegetable was used to cut meat AND cheese is enough for many to pass up any food from the restaurant altogether.

You should really talk to the person to understand how strict they really are.

Responding to a bit of an old post, but from what we know of the more liberal Modern Orthodox culture, some might eat at a non-kosher certified restaurant for dairy, vegetarian or pareve food, but only eat meat at a strictly kosher meat restaurant.

At least, from a sample of the families we're familiar with at our more or less "multidenominational" Jewish day school, that's what I'd say about some of the liberal Orthodox and Conservative Jewish folks. There are more traditionally Modern Orthodox people we know that would ONLY eat certified kosher products anywhere, from Starbucks on down. And the majority keep kosher at home with the separate plates for dairy and meat, and meat only having a recognized heckscher (certification).
  • Post #48 - January 29th, 2024, 5:08 am
    Post #48 - January 29th, 2024, 5:08 am Post #48 - January 29th, 2024, 5:08 am
    Nuovo is a CRC-certified Italian restaurant. I didn't see it mentioned, apologize if it was. It is certified as "dairy", meaning no meat (pork, which would never be in a kosher-certified restaurant, chicken, beef, lamb, etc), but does serve tuna and salmon, as fin-fishes with scales are considered parve, ie, not officially meat or dairy. They offer lunch and "after hours" menus, and do open Saturday nights, at least this time of year. I haven't tried it yet, just posting the info.

Nuovo Chicago
    3750 W Devon Ave, Lincolnwood, IL
    847-213-1026
    https://www.nuovochicago.com/
    Last edited by Smassey on January 29th, 2024, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #49 - January 29th, 2024, 8:28 am
    Post #49 - January 29th, 2024, 8:28 am Post #49 - January 29th, 2024, 8:28 am
    As I've posted elsewhere, Rocket Slice, a new certified kosher pizza on Touhy in Lincolnwood (between Renga-Tei and Wholly Frijoles serves some very good NY Style, Detroit Style and Tavern-style pizzas for take-out only. For observant Jews and ovo-lacto vegetarians their toppings include plant-based sausage and pepperoni. A nice new addition to the kosher dining scene.
  • Post #50 - March 18th, 2024, 5:52 pm
    Post #50 - March 18th, 2024, 5:52 pm Post #50 - March 18th, 2024, 5:52 pm
    Zalman’s Kosher Fast Food Opening in Chicago

https://yeahthatskosher.com/2024/03/zal ... n-chicago/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles