LTH Home

Saigon Pho and Cafe, Oak Park (prior, Forest Park)

Saigon Pho and Cafe, Oak Park (prior, Forest Park)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 19th, 2014, 10:55 pm
    Post #31 - March 19th, 2014, 10:55 pm Post #31 - March 19th, 2014, 10:55 pm
    I have eaten here several times over the past couple years. My wife who is Vietnamese and a knowledgeable eater thinks they doing a great job. Nice size menu with tasty choices. She wishes that they would serve the egg rolls with fish sauce instead of sweet and sour sauce as is traditional. Now she asks while ordering and that works. Aside from that, I think their pho is spot on and really enjoy their banh mi sandwiches. The banh xeo has been outstanding the last few times we have gone. I highly recommend going.
  • Post #32 - November 22nd, 2014, 4:27 pm
    Post #32 - November 22nd, 2014, 4:27 pm Post #32 - November 22nd, 2014, 4:27 pm
    dradeli wrote:I have eaten here several times over the past couple years. My wife who is Vietnamese and a knowledgeable eater thinks they doing a great job. Nice size menu with tasty choices. She wishes that they would serve the egg rolls with fish sauce instead of sweet and sour sauce as is traditional. Now she asks while ordering and that works. Aside from that, I think their pho is spot on and really enjoy their banh mi sandwiches. The banh xeo has been outstanding the last few times we have gone. I highly recommend going.

That banh xeo is indeed oustanding. I like the grilled pork spring rolls and pho enough that I rarely branch out, but on a recent visit the Vietnamese chicken curry (cà ri gà) caught my eye on another table, served with your choice of fresh baguette or rice. This was awesome.

It brought a hearty fire and was packed with aromatics, taro, sweet potato, turmeric, lemongrass, ginger, coconut, pepper, and rich chicken thigh and leg hacked into small bone-in segments and not at all overcooked. With all of the flavors and heat it was still light and admirably balanced, and the bread was perfect. Lime, salt, and pepper for chicken-dredging pushed it over the savory cliff as designed.
  • Post #33 - April 20th, 2021, 5:42 pm
    Post #33 - April 20th, 2021, 5:42 pm Post #33 - April 20th, 2021, 5:42 pm
    Nearly exactly a decade from my first visit, we celebrated what may be our last meal in the neighborhood from Saigon Pho, with the owners having announced through the Takeout Oak Park Facebook group they are taking this opportunity to retire, and may just be open this one last week.

This dinner showing was awesome up and down, from the huge paper-thin banh xeo with accompanying pile of herbs to the papaya salad with prawn crackers and charred short ribs over rice. I still have yet to have a better tofu banh mi (on stellar sesame baguette) or grilled pork spring roll with the little tube of fried eggroll wrapper inside for crunch. As noted in some earlier posts here and in the big area thread, the chef(s) had some real game with the French flavors and processes in the modern cuisine, and care was evident. We were lucky to have them out here, and I'll just be finding myself haunting Argyle more frequently in months to come.
  • Post #34 - April 21st, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #34 - April 21st, 2021, 9:53 am Post #34 - April 21st, 2021, 9:53 am
    Ugh. We'll miss them...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events