LTH Home

Prime Rib Favorites?

Prime Rib Favorites?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Prime Rib Favorites?

    Post #1 - July 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Post #1 - July 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm Post #1 - July 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Any recommendations for really good prime rib, preferably bone-in, other than Lawry's? Price and location (Chicago area) really do not matter.
    "Call any vegetable...and the chances are good the vegetable will respond to you."
    --Frank Zappa
  • Post #2 - July 18th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    Post #2 - July 18th, 2011, 3:23 pm Post #2 - July 18th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    saluki68 wrote:Any recommendations for really good prime rib, preferably bone-in, other than Lawry's? Price and location (Chicago area) really do not matter.


    I haven't actually eaten it but have seen it and it looked good:


    Rustic House
    1967 N Halsted St.
    Chicago, IL 60614

    http://www.rustichousechicago.com
    "Your custard pie, yeah, sweet and nice
    When you cut it, mama, save me a slice"
  • Post #3 - July 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm
    Post #3 - July 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm Post #3 - July 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm
    I recently had a big bone-in prime rib dinner at Jack Binyon's Steakhouse in the Hammond casino. I DO NOT recommend going there for prime rib. Lawry's is my first choice and I wish I had somewhere else to recommend, but at least I have ruled out one place for you.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - July 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm
    Post #4 - July 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm Post #4 - July 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm
    Disclosure: I worked here for 10 years in High School, College, and Graduate School.

    Nevertheless, Jack Gibbons Gardens in Oak Forest (southwest suburb).

    Best bone-in I've ever had. Get the double cut (King cut) if you are really hungry.

    http://www.jackgibbonsgarden.com/
    14700 S. Oak Park Ave.
    Oak Forest, IL 60452
  • Post #5 - July 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm
    Post #5 - July 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm Post #5 - July 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm
    Joe's has a terrific dry aged, bone in ribeye.
  • Post #6 - July 18th, 2011, 7:27 pm
    Post #6 - July 18th, 2011, 7:27 pm Post #6 - July 18th, 2011, 7:27 pm
    DutchMuse wrote:Joe's has a terrific dry aged, bone in ribeye.


    Ribeye or prime rib?

    When I want prime rib I go to Fleming's for their Sunday Prime Rib dinner. Get the gift cards from Costco and it's even a better deal!
  • Post #7 - July 18th, 2011, 10:44 pm
    Post #7 - July 18th, 2011, 10:44 pm Post #7 - July 18th, 2011, 10:44 pm
    The Golden Steer on Roosevelt in Forest Park has a terrific prime rib deal on Saturday night. Great PR, onion soup, salad, etc. around 27.95 last time I was there. Good beef, good service and good drinks-combination works for me.
  • Post #8 - July 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm
    Post #8 - July 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm Post #8 - July 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm
    saluki68 wrote:Any recommendations for really good prime rib, preferably bone-in, other than Lawry's? Price and location (Chicago area) really do not matter.


    My former in-laws love The Saloon (on Chestnut) for prime rib - I've not eaten the prime rib (its not something I really enjoy), but the rest of the steaks are all great.
  • Post #9 - July 18th, 2011, 11:05 pm
    Post #9 - July 18th, 2011, 11:05 pm Post #9 - July 18th, 2011, 11:05 pm
    I know I'm going to get a metric $h!T-L0@D of grief for this but...

    Outback actually does a decent prime rib.
    I'm sure it's not actually prime grade beef, but for the price it's competently done.

    Let the derision commence.
    :cry:
  • Post #10 - July 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm
    Post #10 - July 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm Post #10 - July 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm
    zoid wrote:I know I'm going to get a metric $h!T-L0@D of grief for this but...

    Outback actually does a decent prime rib.
    I'm sure it's not actually prime grade beef, but for the price it's competently done.

    Let the derision commence.
    :cry:


    Geo - can I beg a hazing redirect to zoid for this one?

    /had and really enjoyed an embalmed, sauerbraten-y barbecue beef sandwich at Jimmy's (Woodlawn Tap) last night.
    //genuinely enjoys a Bloomin' Onion annually
  • Post #11 - July 19th, 2011, 12:02 am
    Post #11 - July 19th, 2011, 12:02 am Post #11 - July 19th, 2011, 12:02 am
    Santander wrote:
    zoid wrote:I know I'm going to get a metric $h!T-L0@D of grief for this but...

    Outback actually does a decent prime rib.
    I'm sure it's not actually prime grade beef, but for the price it's competently done.

    Let the derision commence.
    :cry:


    Geo - can I beg a hazing redirect to zoid for this one?

    /had and really enjoyed an embalmed, sauerbraten-y barbecue beef sandwich at Jimmy's (Woodlawn Tap) last night.
    //genuinely enjoys a Bloomin' Onion annually



    LOL - you and me'll grab TP, Vital, Hammond, and Panther one of these days and we'll split a Bloomin' Onion (or 3).
    "What happens at Outback stays at Outback"
  • Post #12 - July 19th, 2011, 7:19 am
    Post #12 - July 19th, 2011, 7:19 am Post #12 - July 19th, 2011, 7:19 am
    TCK wrote:Disclosure: I worked here for 10 years in High School, College, and Graduate School.

    Nevertheless, Jack Gibbons Gardens in Oak Forest (southwest suburb).

    Best bone-in I've ever had. Get the double cut (King cut) if you are really hungry.

    http://www.jackgibbonsgarden.com/
    14700 S. Oak Park Ave.
    Oak Forest, IL 60452


    yep, my all time favorite!
  • Post #13 - July 19th, 2011, 11:03 am
    Post #13 - July 19th, 2011, 11:03 am Post #13 - July 19th, 2011, 11:03 am
    Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the Chicago Chop House has a regular prime rib special, where they sear it on both sides after cutting: all the goodness of prime rib, but with the additional flavor of searing. It's probably my favorite steak in Chicago. I may be a bit biased, as it was the first steak I ever ate in a Chicago steak house.
  • Post #14 - July 19th, 2011, 11:13 am
    Post #14 - July 19th, 2011, 11:13 am Post #14 - July 19th, 2011, 11:13 am
    A few months ago I had a good piece of prime rib from Rosewood.

    ROSEWOOD RESTAURANT
    9421 Higgins Rd.
    Rosemont, Illinois 60018
  • Post #15 - July 19th, 2011, 11:17 am
    Post #15 - July 19th, 2011, 11:17 am Post #15 - July 19th, 2011, 11:17 am
    Morgans Char House in Wheaton on Roosevelt Road (the old Viking now remodeled) has good prime rib. We ate there on the weekend and while we did not have prime rib this time, we did enjoy our meals. Blackened mahi mahi, grilled salmon with dill sauce and butt steak were our choices.

    They also have a crab leg special dinner some days and also feature surf and turf (I love this old school dish) on various days. You have to call to see what the specials are as they might not be on their website. You also get soup or salad which is good, bread, vegetables which was grilled asparagus, and choice of potato. I've been going to a bunch of steak houses that are so so expensive you get nothing extra with your dinner and have to pay a la carte for everything else you order.

    PS. Every Sunday all day Prime Rib dinner is 15 bucks choice of soup or salad and one side dish.

    http://www.morganscharhouse.com/Speacials.pdf
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #16 - July 19th, 2011, 11:23 am
    Post #16 - July 19th, 2011, 11:23 am Post #16 - July 19th, 2011, 11:23 am
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the Chicago Chop House has a regular prime rib special, where they sear it on both sides after cutting: all the goodness of prime rib, but with the additional flavor of searing. It's probably my favorite steak in Chicago. I may be a bit biased, as it was the first steak I ever ate in a Chicago steak house.


    You'd think this is unique, but if you order a prime rib at the aforementioned Outback, and ask them to do it 'Outback Style', they will sear it the same way as they do at Chicago Chop House. No intended disrespect for those that dine at either of these fine establishments.
  • Post #17 - July 19th, 2011, 12:15 pm
    Post #17 - July 19th, 2011, 12:15 pm Post #17 - July 19th, 2011, 12:15 pm
    PreFlopRaise13 wrote:A few months ago I had a good piece of prime rib from Rosewood.

    ROSEWOOD RESTAURANT
    9421 Higgins Rd.
    Rosemont, Illinois 60018



    Ditto

    Rosewood doesn't get much love ( or chatter ) on this site, but they seem to do everything well.

    Been going there for years and they have yet to disappoint.
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #18 - July 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm
    Post #18 - July 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm Post #18 - July 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm
    I have two, both from Melman LEYE restaurants.

    Saturday night only as a special, prime rib at L. Woods has been quite good the times I've tried it. Oddly, it was especially good when I ordered it take-out, we split the queen sized cut at home, and had a veritable feast, along with a bottle of Stag's Leap Cask 23 Cab 1990(!!!). Couldn't beat the wine service anywhere else.

    7110 N. Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood IL, 60712 - (847) 677-3350

    Also, although a bit pricey, I've tried the prime rib at the Glenview Wildfire, and enjoyed it a lot, especially because it comes out with a hint of wood smoke from their ovens.

    1300 Patriot Boulevard, Glenview, IL 60026 - (847) 657-6363

    (Hijack follows)

    In my youth, I remember a northeast Indiana place, perhaps called The Log, which was easily accessible from my home in Chicago Heights (circa 1965-68), that had incredible prime rib. Anyone else remember it?
  • Post #19 - July 19th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    Post #19 - July 19th, 2011, 2:57 pm Post #19 - July 19th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    My thanks to all who have responded so far! :D
    "Call any vegetable...and the chances are good the vegetable will respond to you."
    --Frank Zappa
  • Post #20 - July 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm
    Post #20 - July 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm Post #20 - July 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm
    I don't know how it is, but I noticed that Act One Pub in Rogers Park has Prime Rib on Saturdays.

    Savory Saturday
    Prime Rib - 16oz. king/ 12oz. Queen: $28/$21

    Act One Pub
    1330 W. Morse Ave, Chicago
    PHONE: 773.381.4550
    http://www.actonecafe.com/Daily-Specials.aspx
    -Mary
  • Post #21 - July 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm
    Post #21 - July 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm Post #21 - July 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm
    I'm surprised the more famous Chicago steak houses haven't come up in this thread. I haven't been to any of them (except for Primehouse, which doesn't have prime rib), and rarely have prime rib. But I'm curious of the places known for good steaks some just don't do prime rib that well.
  • Post #22 - July 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm
    Post #22 - July 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm Post #22 - July 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm
    They tend not to have prime rib.
  • Post #23 - July 19th, 2011, 4:52 pm
    Post #23 - July 19th, 2011, 4:52 pm Post #23 - July 19th, 2011, 4:52 pm
    I surprised that no one has mentioned Lawry's The Prime Rib, whose whole raison d'etre is serving prime rib. The place is totally "old school", from the whole carving ceremony with the bemedaled "master carvers" slicing cuts from 1930's art deco steam carts to the waitresses (yes, almost all the servers are female) in their retro outfits (including the odd headgear) to the spinning salad bowl (a little less elaborate than the schtick at Don Roth's Blackhawk). The prime rib is as good as anywhere I've had it, and the atmosphere is an added bonus.
  • Post #24 - July 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm
    Post #24 - July 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm Post #24 - July 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm
    ld111134 wrote:I surprised that no one has mentioned Lawry's The Prime Rib, whose whole raison d'etre is serving prime rib.


    This is why.

    saluki86 wrote:Any recommendations for really good prime rib, preferably bone-in, other than Lawry's?
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #25 - July 19th, 2011, 5:04 pm
    Post #25 - July 19th, 2011, 5:04 pm Post #25 - July 19th, 2011, 5:04 pm
    Yeah, Lawry's is the obvious choice, but see OP. Another is Ditka's, which has always featured a bunch of non-steaks that rise above the steaks there (eg, pork chop). I tend to save my prime rib ordering for roadhouses and supper clubs in WI/MI/MN where they work with a stiff drink and don't challenge the kitchen, but another *decent* option in the chain category is J. Alexander's which I've enjoyed when trapped in food hell such as office-park suburbia in the South or Texas. I think we have one on Clybourn.
  • Post #26 - July 20th, 2011, 11:22 am
    Post #26 - July 20th, 2011, 11:22 am Post #26 - July 20th, 2011, 11:22 am
    pacent wrote:
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the Chicago Chop House has a regular prime rib special, where they sear it on both sides after cutting: all the goodness of prime rib, but with the additional flavor of searing. It's probably my favorite steak in Chicago. I may be a bit biased, as it was the first steak I ever ate in a Chicago steak house.


    You'd think this is unique, but if you order a prime rib at the aforementioned Outback, and ask them to do it 'Outback Style', they will sear it the same way as they do at Chicago Chop House. No intended disrespect for those that dine at either of these fine establishments.


    Outback has bone-in prime rib? Hmm, learn something every day.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #27 - July 20th, 2011, 11:42 am
    Post #27 - July 20th, 2011, 11:42 am Post #27 - July 20th, 2011, 11:42 am
    Kman wrote:
    pacent wrote:
    Chicago Hokie wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the Chicago Chop House has a regular prime rib special, where they sear it on both sides after cutting: all the goodness of prime rib, but with the additional flavor of searing. It's probably my favorite steak in Chicago. I may be a bit biased, as it was the first steak I ever ate in a Chicago steak house.


    You'd think this is unique, but if you order a prime rib at the aforementioned Outback, and ask them to do it 'Outback Style', they will sear it the same way as they do at Chicago Chop House. No intended disrespect for those that dine at either of these fine establishments.


    Outback has bone-in prime rib? Hmm, learn something every day.


    It is not bone-in, but rather that they sear each side of the prime rib to lock in the juices and create a light crust on the outside.
  • Post #28 - July 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm
    Post #28 - July 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm Post #28 - July 20th, 2011, 1:17 pm
    pacent wrote:It is not bone-in, but rather that they sear each side of the prime rib to lock in the juices and create a light crust on the outside.


    Not that I have any desire to visit an Outback Steakhouse, but how is this different than a rib eye steak?
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #29 - July 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm
    Post #29 - July 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm Post #29 - July 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm
    Searing does not seal in juices.
  • Post #30 - July 20th, 2011, 1:38 pm
    Post #30 - July 20th, 2011, 1:38 pm Post #30 - July 20th, 2011, 1:38 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Searing does not seal in juices.

    I'm glad you posted this. Many sources, including McGee, would agree. Searing does, however, add dimensions of flavor and texture, so it's not without value, depending on one's preferences.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more