LTH Home

Resi's Bierstube

Resi's Bierstube
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Resi's Bierstube

Post #1 - July 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm
    Post #1 - July 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm Post #1 - July 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm
    Doing some overdue LTH catching up, I wanted to post a quick "by the way" about Resi's and discovered that this Chicago institution has no substantive dedicated thread. Seems impossible, but it's true. I won't repeat all that's been said about the terrific, butter-soaked schnitzels and potato pancakes, best-in-Chicago potato salad, unique Russian eggs, scratch soups and solid kraut, sausages and pork shank -- with much of the pre-prepared food made by the timeless proprietress each day and the made-to-order foods cooked in a phone-booth sized kitchen. Nor will I comment on the vast array of German beers, many seasonal and on tap or the atmospheric biergarten, supposedly the longest-operating in Chicago. I just wanted to mention that Resi's now has house-made spaetzle, breaking a longstanding, unspoken detent with Laschet's whereby Resi's featured pancakes and Laschet's spaetzle (both have always offered German potato salad, roasted potatoes, and buttered noodles in the starch lineup). While both places serve among the best spaetzle I've had, I give a slight nod to Resi's soft, irregular dumplings. More great pasta in Chicago.

Resi's Bierstube
    2034 W. Irving Park Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-472-1749

moderator edit for address
  • Post #2 - July 27th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Post #2 - July 27th, 2011, 12:52 pm Post #2 - July 27th, 2011, 12:52 pm
    Jeff — Excellent idea to give Resi's its own thread... I don't get to Resi's (or Laschet's) as much as I used to and certainly not as much as I would like to, but that's only because of changed patterns on my part... I still love Resi's...

Last winter, Lucantonius, Amata and I were there on a weekday evening and had a fine meal... all three opted for schnitzels but each a different version and each a different accompanying starch...

In honour of the then mayor-to-be, Amata chose the Rahmschnitzel with buttered noodles... Both she and I concurred that the sauce was too thin and somewhat lackluster (I think the picture shows the thinness), but otherwise, a great platter...

Lucantonius, purist that he is, went for the classic Wienerschnitzel and had those fine Spätzle that Jeff mentioned as his starch...

Me, well, I find it hard to pass up an anchovy when there's one to be had and so I went with the Schnitzel à la Holstein and had German potato salad on the side... both the schnitzel and the potato salad were spot-on...

As one can see here, the portions are quite generous...

Friendly service, a nice 'neighbourhood' atmosphere, delicious food, reasonable prices... And of course, lots of outstanding German beers, including one of my favourites...

Bitte, ein Bit!
    Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #3 - July 28th, 2011, 9:25 am
    Post #3 - July 28th, 2011, 9:25 am Post #3 - July 28th, 2011, 9:25 am
    Tony, you've captured the essence of the place. Like you, I have a hard time passing up the Holsteiner. The Jagerschnitzel gravy is much better than the Rahm, though it's an apples to oranges comparison.
  • Post #4 - June 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm
    Post #4 - June 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm Post #4 - June 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm
    Listen up. This is mportant:

(From the Resi's summer menu)

"Schnitzkrieg Sandwich: a pan fried, pork tenderloin schnitzel with melted swiss & american cheese, sauerkraut, dill pickle chips, onion, horseradish cream & mild or hot giardiniera relish served on a hearty bread roll with a mound of homemade german potato salad or potato chips on the side"

This is a truly inspired sandwich. Great bread, great balance, great flavor centered on a terrific "tenderloin" and best in class kraut and pickles. Also on the summer menu are a number of dishes made with Cincy style chili -- chili franks, chili on spaetzel, etc. Don't ponder these odd introductions to Resi's formerly immutable menu, just eat.
  • Post #5 - May 22nd, 2023, 7:54 am
    Post #5 - May 22nd, 2023, 7:54 am Post #5 - May 22nd, 2023, 7:54 am
    No one's commented on Resi's Bierstube in over ten years, but The Small Household Food Exchange was there last night. There were several signs stating they're looking for experienced servers and cooks, which may explain the slow service and lack of some menu items, like the Russian Egg salad that C2 had been looking forward to.

The Wurstplate looked like two sausages of two different types, rather than the four varieties listed on the menu. Still, what was there was pretty good, and the pickles, mustard and horseradish contributed mightily. Image

Since portions were generous, our only side was "Resi's Famous Potato Pancakes."Image

With the cooperative weather, the patio in back was a nice place to dine.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more