LTH Home

Barn & Company, Featuring GWiv

Barn & Company, Featuring GWiv
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 6
  • Post #31 - August 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm
    Post #31 - August 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm Post #31 - August 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm
    Independent George wrote:
    mrbarolo wrote:Makes sense that Gary would be using DaVinci's mirror writing to protect his secrets. However, if he is, then those aren't time travel calculations, it's the formula for cold fusion, which will probably have a far greater impact on the rib business than time travel would.

I disagree. Time travel essentially turns a pitmaster into a short-order cook, as he can reach across timelines and grab an 18-hour smoked brisket that he put into the pit three minutes ago. That would be the single greatest culinary innovation in the histories of man.

Cold fusion, though, does nothing for us unless Gary decides to abandon the whole hardwood-smoked meats thing and zaps it in the fusion oven.

Val Kilmer invents cold fusion at the end of The Saint, idiot.
    Cheetos are my favorite snack atm.
  • Post #32 - August 4th, 2011, 2:03 pm
    Post #32 - August 4th, 2011, 2:03 pm Post #32 - August 4th, 2011, 2:03 pm
    claypoolfan wrote:Does anyone know what the hours on this place are/are going to be? Will it be open as a bar later in the night or is it just normal restaurant hours?

Thank you for your email and interest in Barn and Company.  We will be open on all days except Tuesday from 11am-2am.  Saturdays we will be open until 3am. 
    "Your custard pie, yeah, sweet and nice
    When you cut it, mama, save me a slice"
  • Post #33 - August 4th, 2011, 2:18 pm
    Post #33 - August 4th, 2011, 2:18 pm Post #33 - August 4th, 2011, 2:18 pm
    Barn & Company will be open everyday of the week except Tuesdays. The kitchen will be open from 12 noon to 12 midnight.
  • Post #34 - August 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm
    Post #34 - August 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm Post #34 - August 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm
    From their phone message is the current definitive answer:

Opening: Aug 11

Closed Tuesdays
    All other days: 11 am to 2 am
    Saturdays: 11 am to 3 am

From Gary's mouth directly (who also affirmed the above):

Kitchen
    11 am to midnight
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #35 - August 10th, 2011, 10:49 am
    Post #35 - August 10th, 2011, 10:49 am Post #35 - August 10th, 2011, 10:49 am
    GrubStreet has a "first look" article on Barn & Co up, with links to dinner and drink menus at the bottom. Looks good!

GrubStreet First Look Inside Barn & Company
  • Post #36 - August 10th, 2011, 11:47 am
    Post #36 - August 10th, 2011, 11:47 am Post #36 - August 10th, 2011, 11:47 am
    cookiemahnster wrote:GrubStreet has a "first look" article on Barn & Co up, with links to dinner and drink menus at the bottom. Looks good!

GrubStreet First Look Inside Barn & Company

very much lookin' forward to the barbecue. Food sounds great and prices seem reasonable on the whole. But I can tell you one thing I will not be ordering: a $5 side of cole slaw.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #37 - August 11th, 2011, 8:17 am
    Post #37 - August 11th, 2011, 8:17 am Post #37 - August 11th, 2011, 8:17 am
    Well, last night was a huge buzz kill.

I completely understand that it was a soft opening and the kitchen is trying to learn on the fly but we left after waiting two hours without getting any of the food we ordered.
    Of course, the bad omen started at the bar…again.

On their beer/wine/specialties cocktails list they have a drink called a Haymaker Punch. I asked for a “Haymaker Punch”. After the girl wandered around for at least 5 minutes, she came back and told me they were “out of it”. I couldn’t process how you could be out of a mixed drink and stared into her kitten cute eyes for a few seconds before holding up the drink menu and asking “you’re out of this?”

“Ohhhh, I thought a Haymaker was a beer!”

Nice training. Glad I didn’t ask for a Negroni again.

Anyway, we waited a few minutes for a table outside, sat and pretty quickly ordered the Pulled Pork Nachos to start. This was at 6:45. At 8:00, we were told it would still be 20-30 minutes until we got them. I have no idea when the other food we ordered would come. Maybe in time for Bears-Falcons.
    So, we left.
    I have no doubt this place will be wildly successful. And, again, I’m aware of the opening night chaos that can happen but this was nuts.

It was obvious that those who knew management/ownership were getting served quickly. It was happening all around us.

Anyway, I spoke to Adolfo Garcia, Owner, on the way out. I explained my frustration along with my understanding of it being opening night, etc. He was very apologetic and gracious, handing me his card with a promise to make sure my next experience was better than my first.

Fair enough.
    And I will be back. I know from the sampler I had during the Taste of Lincoln Ave fest that the food is good and a glimpse of a sweaty GWiv let me know he his bustin’ his ass to turn out good BBQ.

I’m just pretty bummed that I had to settle for Potbelly when I had my heart and stomach set on ribs and brisket
    "Your custard pie, yeah, sweet and nice
    When you cut it, mama, save me a slice"
  • Post #38 - August 12th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #38 - August 12th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #38 - August 12th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    It was indeed a bustling and very heavy 'F&F' crowd at Barn & Company on Wednesday evening. We were invited guests and did not pay but it seemed like they were, very generously, letting anyone who showed up come in for complimentary food and beverage . . .

Bar - 6:45 pm

Based on what was posted above, it appears we were fortunate to arrive just after 5, when the restaurant was relatively empty. We enjoyed some terrfic, G Wiv-style baby back ribs...

Half Slab Baby Backs

Barn & Company is also serving Texas sausage from Mikeska's; the same sausage that Smoque serves . . .

Mikeska's Sausage at Barn & Company

We chatted with Gary when we first arrived but with the crowd swelling, he soon disappeared. We knew exactly where to find him . . .

Kitchen with G Wiv manning the cooker

I wish Gary and the entire team at Barn & Company the best of luck in their new endeavor.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #39 - August 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm
    Post #39 - August 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm Post #39 - August 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm
    Vaguely in the neighborhood, I stopped in today on a whim around 5:00.
    There were a few tables occupied outside and even fewer inside.
    I was greeted quickly and with a smile; opted to sit at the bar as I only had time for a snack.
    While I did nothing to tax the bartendrix's skill or training, she seemed perfectly capable of pulling the pint I ordered from the tap situated directly between us. (Although there seemed to be a bit of confusion regarding the Johnie Walker Black ordered by the fellow next to me.)
    I told her I liked everything and would she care to offer a rec. between the pulled pork and the brisket. Without either uncertainty or hype, she very clearly pointed me toward the brisket without in any way dissing the pork.
    At first she told me that it came with 2 sides, but the returned from the kitchen with the correction that it only came with fries.
    I went nuts and sprang for the $5 slaw. And, frankly, it was my only disappointment. Nothing wrong with it, and a decent enough portion. But nothing distinguished about it either. To earn its place as a side, rather than a complimentary thimble-full, it could really use some zing.
    The fries were nice. Long and thin, not super crispy, but crispy enough, fresh enough, nicely salted and with some bits of peel here and there.
    I liked the brisket a lot. Only had the 1/4 lb. portion but there was a very nice balance of meat, unctuous fat, and crunchy blackened bits. It was like a combo plate of textures. If I were to nit-pick, I could have used a bit more smokiness.
    Also liked the 2 "house-made" sauces, and preferred the bourbon to the spicier one. I like a bit of heat, but the bourbon had way more depth and did more for the brisket. I used the spicy one on the fries and enjoyed the variety.
    All in all, my service was good, my food was good, and I thought the price was good.
    An added incentive (for a middle-aged curmudgeon like myself) was that even with TV screens and some music playing, I could hear myself think and could have carried on a conversation, had I not been solo.
    I'd happily go back, but based on above reports, not at peak hours.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #40 - August 15th, 2011, 6:01 am
    Post #40 - August 15th, 2011, 6:01 am Post #40 - August 15th, 2011, 6:01 am
    Made a trip to Barn & Co. with a couple of friends on Saturday night. No significant service issues, aside from a bit of cluelessness by our server (she had to ask for help on some fairly basic menu questions)--and a slightly overly enthusiastic busboy (removed my beer before I finished it but one of the owners happened to be standing behind our table when it happened and he promptly brought me another full one--score :D ). The beer, Founder's Dirty Bastard was a delicious Scotch Ale by the way.

And on to the food...
    We ordered both BBQ sampler platters to get a taste of everything--good portion sizes for sharing--one had a half slab of ribs, a link and brisket--the other an enormous pulled pork sandwich, a link and 1/4 chicken. Each came with 2 sides so we were able to try most of the menu. Both well-priced at around $20. Having already tasted the ribs (which my two friends both loved), I focused on the other items and came away most impressed with the chicken and the pulled pork--usually the weakest links for me on most BBQ menus. The chicken was perfect--juicy, flavorful, good smoke without dryness, lighly basted skin. Needed no sauce (nothing really did). Likewise, the pulled pork, too often a baby-food-like chopped mess at most spots around town, was fantastic--large chunks (like it had just been pulled by hand off a hunk of meat fresh out of the smoker) with great bark. I was focused on the meat but the bun (it came out as a sandwich) was pillowy soft and eggy and the pickles and G Wiv signature pickled onions were a great accompaniment.

The links were tasty (one was a bit snappier than the other)and the brisket was tender and flavorful but sliced a tad thin so it dried out a bit. Sides were fine--good crunch to the fries, mac and cheese and cornbread serviceable, slaw unknown (hogged by one table member). Sauces were very good--didn't need much of 'em but they enhanced v. covered. Especially liked the 7-pepper version although I wouldn't have minded it a bit spicier.

Only suggestions--add some kind of veg to the side offerings (greens, beans, black-eyed peas?) and maybe a mustard-based sauce. I really enjoyed the meal and look forward to returning! The salads look great for lunch options.

Congrats Gary--your restaurant debut is a smashing success in my book!
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on August 15th, 2011, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #41 - August 15th, 2011, 8:02 am
    Post #41 - August 15th, 2011, 8:02 am Post #41 - August 15th, 2011, 8:02 am
    Came here late on Friday night after the line at the Whistler was too long for my group.... The crowd was large and it was pretty much the same scene as Grand Central was.... Everyone seemed pretty overdressed for what the place is. It was a little bit of a madhouse, but that may just be the opening week rush. I was drinking whiskey on the rocks so I can't speak to the bartenders skills, and it was too late to eat anything. They had the meat smoking for Saturday though and through some sort of ingenious planning it seems there's a fan that goes right from the kitchen to the guy's bathroom, it smelled like heaven in there! :lol:

I'll definitely be back to eat and to drink more. Whiskey selection was excellent.
  • Post #42 - August 15th, 2011, 2:14 pm
    Post #42 - August 15th, 2011, 2:14 pm Post #42 - August 15th, 2011, 2:14 pm
    We had a late lunch Sunday at Barn and Company. Donna had the combo with ribs, chicken and sausage, and I had 1 link, 1/2 slab and 1/2 lb brisket. Sides were fries, beans and slaw. This is the most luscious and moist brisket I've ever eaten. Baby backs were excellent, as was the chicken. I liked the links just ok...I just prefer the coarser Chicago style hot link. The casing seemed tough and the grind was very fine. I loved the bourbon sauce, but the meats are so tasty that I enjoyed them more without the sauce. The only thing missing is squishy white bread!

We'll be back for sure.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #43 - August 22nd, 2011, 7:35 pm
    Post #43 - August 22nd, 2011, 7:35 pm Post #43 - August 22nd, 2011, 7:35 pm
    Pardon my modestly dissenting voice, G Wiv.

Went for lunch with a friend on Sunday. I had the platter with brisket, pulled pork and a link. I enjoyed the snap of the link a good deal, and the pork and brisket were pleasantly moist. However, there was pretty minimal smoke action going on. The smoke ring was apparent on both the beef and pork, but I just wasn't getting anything--it was a little before 1 pm, so perhaps it was a hold-over from the previous night? I very much enjoyed the bun for the pork, and the pickled cucumbers and red onions that went with it. I enjoyed piling a large helping of my coleslaw side (sizable portion, creamy, a bit tangy) on top for a solid sandwich, sans smoke. The side of mac 'n cheese was also more than respectable. For 20 bucks, I thought it a pretty fair amount of food, given location and all. Beer selection was enough to keep my snobbish self happy. Aside from the lack of 'cue essence, I was quite pleased, and hope to return once the machine is a bit more well-oiled.
  • Post #44 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:54 pm
    Post #44 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:54 pm Post #44 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:54 pm
    We would have liked to have dined at Barn & Co. this evening but when we got there at around 7:30, it was closed :mad:

Some sort of patio maintenance it seemed.
  • Post #45 - August 23rd, 2011, 11:29 pm
    Post #45 - August 23rd, 2011, 11:29 pm Post #45 - August 23rd, 2011, 11:29 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:From their phone message is the current definitive answer:

Opening: Aug 11

Closed Tuesdays
    All other days: 11 am to 2 am
    Saturdays: 11 am to 3 am

From Gary's mouth directly (who also affirmed the above):

Kitchen
    11 am to midnight
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #46 - August 24th, 2011, 1:23 am
    Post #46 - August 24th, 2011, 1:23 am Post #46 - August 24th, 2011, 1:23 am
    This quote got me thinking a bit....But if it comes to compromising the technique and craft of barbecue just to meet volume, we won't do it." Bob Zrenner

Two things i was wondering about and had questions on after reading that quote and some posts here.
    Using a Cookshack pellet smoker instead of a wood log/charcoal/lump pit and no spares ribs or ribs tips as of yet.

I am not saying by using the cookshack or not having tips or spares this place has "compromised" anything. I have not been here yet and have not tasted anything as of yet either. I also know little about the pellet smokers and have not tasted any meats or foods off any that I know about in the past.
  • Post #47 - August 24th, 2011, 6:53 am
    Post #47 - August 24th, 2011, 6:53 am Post #47 - August 24th, 2011, 6:53 am
    Cbot wrote:This quote got me thinking a bit....But if it comes to compromising the technique and craft of barbecue just to meet volume, we won't do it." Bob Zrenner

Two things i was wondering about and had questions on after reading that quote and some posts here.
    Using a Cookshack pellet smoker instead of a wood log/charcoal/lump pit and no spares ribs or ribs tips as of yet.

I am not saying by using the cookshack or not having tips or spares this place has "compromised" anything. I have not been here yet and have not tasted anything as of yet either. I also know little about the pellet smokers and have not tasted any meats or foods off any that I know about in the past.

Cbot--I admit to being a bit confused by your "questions"--as in, "what are they"?

You haven't tasted the food, don't know much about the smoker or what food tastes like that comes off it--are you wondering why they chose that model? From the way your post is worded, it looks vaguely like you do think those decisions contradict Chef Zrenner's claim that he won't compromise technique or craft to meet volume. Mind elaborating/clarifying?

And I'm really confused about including "no spares ribs or rib tips" in your musing--are you questioning that decision as compromising their technique and craft somehow? Smoque doesn't offer those items on their regular menu--are they compromising technique and craft?

I read the opposite from Zrenner's quote--that they chose the equipment and menu items that would enable them to put out the best possible product in volume, uncompromised in technique or craft (last time i checked, a for profit business has a hard time succeeding without doing "volume".) Whether it delivers on that promise is only something that can be determined from tasting the food. I would look forward to hearing your opinion of that. Just don't go on a Tuesday apparently :wink:
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #48 - September 4th, 2011, 11:54 am
    Post #48 - September 4th, 2011, 11:54 am Post #48 - September 4th, 2011, 11:54 am
    After seeing the many post and great photos by Gary of the WSM, fat racks of spares, large orders of tips (sauce on the side!) and the Aquarium Pits around town and his love of them. I was a bit taken back to find out about the cookshack pellet smoker and no tips or spare. I did not really take into mind at the time that this is a BBQ business open to the general public, the location and is looking to make good bbq and good $. Not cooking for 20 drunks dudes in the backyard type deal as one of the early post had said.

I had always thought and mostly hoped that if Gary every had or worked at a BBQ joint there would be some monster hand crafted WSM type smokers, Aquarium pits, spares, tips, links and stacks of wood all around with the sweet smoke in the air for all to enjoy. As for the no tips or spares this kinda falls into the same pit, where I was thinking wherever Gary would be there would be spares in your face, tips in your hands and sauce on the side.
  • Post #49 - September 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    Post #49 - September 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm Post #49 - September 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    Gary's not an owner of this place. He's been hired to do a job. That means that his own personal preferences are not necessarily the only consideration.

I haven't been there yet, but it sounds like he's doing a pretty damn good job of making the best barbecue he can make while working within whatever constraints his bosses might be placing on him. Which is the mark of a true professional.
  • Post #50 - September 4th, 2011, 12:54 pm
    Post #50 - September 4th, 2011, 12:54 pm Post #50 - September 4th, 2011, 12:54 pm
    elakin wrote:Gary's not an owner of this place. He's been hired to do a job. That means that his own personal preferences are not necessarily the only consideration.

I haven't been there yet, but it sounds like he's doing a pretty damn good job of making the best barbecue he can make while working within whatever constraints his bosses might be placing on him. Which is the mark of a true professional.

Well put.

Also, it was mis-reported by some outlets that Gary had carte blanche at Barn & Co. from the beginning, even in the equipment selection. Fact is, the equipment was already purchased and in place when Gary was brought on board. Given the myriad constraints, the ownership at Barn & Co. are quite fortunate to have someone of Gary's prodigious skill consulting in the kitchen.

=R=
  • Post #51 - September 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #51 - September 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #51 - September 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Also looks like Barn & Co is getting some new equipment.. from Gary's facebook page, the new Yoder offset:

Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #52 - September 9th, 2011, 10:32 pm
    Post #52 - September 9th, 2011, 10:32 pm Post #52 - September 9th, 2011, 10:32 pm
    Some very nice "ink" from Pat Bruno at the Sun Times' web site earlier this week . . .

at SunTimes.com, Pat Bruno wrote:And they are serious about barbecue at B&C. Bob Zrenner (Hubbard Inn) is the executive chef and the consulting pit master is Gary Wiviott (barbecue cookbook author). Zrenner and Wiviott make the case that the menu is “loaded down with hickory-smoked barbecue focused on brisket, baby back ribs, pulled pork and free-range smoked chicken.” And as I did a quick run past the open kitchen, there was little question that the equipment — a wood-burning barbecue pit and a wood-burning grill — was well suited for the job at hand.

at SunTimes.com, Pat Bruno wrote:From the smoker, I had a full slab of baby back ribs. The smoky-sweet meat clung to the bone. These were the kind of ribs that let you get into them in a way that is down-home (a bit messy) but uptown (fingers not shellacked with sauce). As for those tabletop bottles of sauce, one had a mustard base, another we were told was bourbon-based, but I could swear there was some citrus accent to one of those. It didn’t matter. We tried both, and I would go with either again and be happy.

at SunTimes.com, Pat Bruno wrote:For the best 11 bucks you will ever spend on food, have the beef brisket. The portion is half a pound, and this was Texas-style brisket at its flavorful best. I don’t know if B&C uses a dry rub for its brisket (I asked, but our very amiable server didn’t know), but the perfectly trimmed, sliced brisket was some of the best I have had in Chicago.

Barn & Company fires up tasty barbecue, room for other options

=R=
  • Post #53 - September 10th, 2011, 2:06 pm
    Post #53 - September 10th, 2011, 2:06 pm Post #53 - September 10th, 2011, 2:06 pm
    Was there last night with a couple of friends and happily ran into the pit boss on the front sidewalk manning the smoker. If you get a little lost looking for Barn & Company, don't worry . . . you'll smell the smoke once you're within a couple of blocks. :)

We shared a hefty selection of bbq last night - tough to pick a favorite but the brisket was excellent - tender and moist, great flavor and plenty of smoke. Ribs had a great chew, nice flavor and smoke penetration, and the chicken was unbelievably moist. Gary mentioned they're brining the chicken (not buttermilk though) and it was really noticeable. We were so busy eating and drinking that I forgot to get a taste of my friend's pulled pork but I know he enjoyed it. If the bbq at Barn & Company had been missing some smoke penetration in the past, that issue was certainly not noticeable in anything we tasted last night.

As for sides, we all really enjoyed the beans. Fries and cornbread were serviceable but nothing I'd choose again (did like the chipotle butter w/ the cornbread though). And while I prefer a sharper and stronger cheese flavor with my mac and cheese, I was very impressed by the al dente texture of the pasta and some of the crispness in what I assumed was a broiled finish to the crust.

The place seemed pretty packed when I arrived last night at 8:30 and we had to wait a bit for a table. Kudos to Gary for ensuring that Barn & Company is churning out some good bbq. I'm already looking forward to a return visit.
  • Post #54 - September 17th, 2011, 8:51 am
    Post #54 - September 17th, 2011, 8:51 am Post #54 - September 17th, 2011, 8:51 am
    I'm planning to visit Barn & Company this weekend if all goes as planned, and I went to their website to find a map and their hours, and unless I missed both, they are not present. Cathy lists the hours upthread and they do provide an address, but it would be helpful for both to be easily available at their website. Both are easily available on Yelp, as it happens.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #55 - September 17th, 2011, 5:03 pm
    Post #55 - September 17th, 2011, 5:03 pm Post #55 - September 17th, 2011, 5:03 pm
    GAF,

I added the hours to the original post to make life easier.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #56 - September 17th, 2011, 5:50 pm
    Post #56 - September 17th, 2011, 5:50 pm Post #56 - September 17th, 2011, 5:50 pm
    Cathy, they should hire you as webmaster along with GWiv as pitmaster. :lol:
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #57 - October 24th, 2011, 4:11 pm
    Post #57 - October 24th, 2011, 4:11 pm Post #57 - October 24th, 2011, 4:11 pm
    I went to the Barn Saturday to watch football and eat Bbq. The place itself is great. Lots of TVs--great drinks! But the BBQ is below average at best. For 11 dollars, you get 4 thin strips of beef brisket and a handful of frozen Burger King type fries. Once, I peeled away the fat from the cold brisket I had less than two ounces of meat. It took me 45 seconds to eat. The waitress asked me if I wanted another order. I thought she was kidding! No bread- no slaw- $11. It would cost me $44 to make a decent sandwich and I would have to go across the street to 7/11 for a roll.

There are too many great BBQ places in the city to mess around with the Barn. The Pork Shoppe, Fat Willys, and LillieQ are far better choices. By the way, the hot brisket at Whole Foods beats the Barn too.
  • Post #58 - October 24th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    Post #58 - October 24th, 2011, 8:35 pm Post #58 - October 24th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    The woman and I stopped and had a quick lunch at Barn & Co. this gorgeous Saturday past as we walked from Old Town to Wrigleyville. We weren't famished, so we split an order of brisket and a side of cole slaw. We each had a beer.

I'm no brisket expert but I really enjoyed what we got. Tender, moist, slightly chewy beef with charred edges and mild smoke. Four gigantic, fatty, slices were plenty for a light lunch. The fries were just OK, probably pre-frozen, but better than most pre-packaged spuds I've sampled. Cole slaw was fantastic - fresh, light on the mayo, crunchy.

My only complaint was the crowd. When we arrived, I noticed that everyone in the joint had their eyes glued to the wall of TVs, alternately cheering and biting their teeth in unison. I asked what was going on and guy up front started going into technical details regarding teams, colleges, strategies. No, I said, is there a game on or something? Football? The guy gave me puzzled look and pointed us to our seats.

So what if I'd prefer to eat my BBQ while watching Al Jazeera.

Still, good BBQ.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #59 - October 24th, 2011, 8:57 pm
    Post #59 - October 24th, 2011, 8:57 pm Post #59 - October 24th, 2011, 8:57 pm
    The best reason to go to the Barn and Company is for the fresh Cole Slaw. A whole cup of it is only $5. The best part about getting the $8 sausage link is that for only $5 more you get some fresh slaw. So, for only $13, you have a link and a cup of slaw. How can you beat that?
  • Post #60 - October 25th, 2011, 11:46 am
    Post #60 - October 25th, 2011, 11:46 am Post #60 - October 25th, 2011, 11:46 am
    bbqsauced: All opinions welcome, of course, but your snark-to-info ratio seems a bit unbalanced there. Me, I'm not such a fan of their slaw, regardless of the price, but I enjoyed the brisket very much, for all the reasons enumerated throughout the thread, and thought it was a respectable value given both the overall quality and the neighborhood.
    (Both college football and Al Jazeera rank far, far down my list of preferred dinner atmospherics, but that's another discussion.)
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more