LTH Home

Toni Patisserie & Cafe - New Loop Option

Toni Patisserie & Cafe - New Loop Option
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Toni Patisserie & Cafe - New Loop Option

Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 am
    Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 am Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 am
    Toni Patisserie & Cafe apparently opened on Monday. It's at 65 East Washington, just off Michigan Ave. It is clearly intended to be a French style operation. They have about 7-8 tables, and offer lunch options such as baguette sandwiches, Croque Monsieurs, salads and quiche. They also have a moderate selection of attractive looking pastries. They have put a lot of work into the interior, which is very pleasantly decorated. They have prior operation in Hinsdale (about which there is one post on LTH).

As for the food, I had Les Rillettes, a baguette sandwich with pork rillettes, Dijon mustard and Cornichons. The baguettes are from La Briole. I thought the sandwich excellent, and really reminded me of casual food you'd get in France. Just a few, tasty ingredients on good bread. I also bought some macaroons, but they are for the Mrs. and will be sampled, no doubt, tonight. I may have one, or may just enjoy the brownie points I'll earn.

All in all, it's looking like it could be a very nice addition to the East Loop food options.

http://www.tonipatisserie.com/

Jonah
  • Post #2 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm
    Post #2 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm Post #2 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm
    reminded me of casual food you'd get in France. Just a few, tasty ingredients . . .

Only had time for the chocolate shortbread cookies, and the above captures their essence, too. Not a mind-blower (is that possible for chocolate shortbread cookies?) but on point.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #3 - September 3rd, 2011, 10:31 am
    Post #3 - September 3rd, 2011, 10:31 am Post #3 - September 3rd, 2011, 10:31 am
    I can now add that the macaroons were excellent, the apricot being one of the best I've had in a long while.
  • Post #4 - September 5th, 2011, 10:02 am
    Post #4 - September 5th, 2011, 10:02 am Post #4 - September 5th, 2011, 10:02 am
    Well they get quick points from me right out of the box for a website that has a menu *online* as well as more detailed pdf versions that are available for optional download.

Pan bagnat on the menu means I'll probably be heading over for lunch this week.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #5 - September 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm
    Post #5 - September 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm Post #5 - September 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm
    Sorry for the lack of photos this trip, but we went for lunch today and it was a little slice o' Paris. Their jambon baguette was spot on, the bread is baked for them by Labiola, the (optional) cheese is gruyere (although comte would be nice, too) and that's salted butter and cornichons on board.

Their chocolate eclair got the OMG Look of Bliss from a friend who has eaten eclairs from one end of Paris to the other. From the generously offered bite, I found the chocolate dark Belgian, the pastry flaky and the filling is vanilla deliciousness.

Toni's husband, who was ushering in foot traffic, was very welcoming and when we complimented him on what they'd done, he allowed as to how they were pleased, but willing to make any adjustments the neighborhood desired. I desire that they succeed so I can work my way through all the display cases.

Close to home and work and Pritzker. Good times ahead.
  • Post #6 - September 12th, 2011, 2:17 pm
    Post #6 - September 12th, 2011, 2:17 pm Post #6 - September 12th, 2011, 2:17 pm
    I stopped by Toni to pick up a sandwich today. The place is really adorable, and I'd definitely go back, especially to try a coffee and pastry. I had the La Dinde sandwich - turkey, avocado, tomato vinaigrette and seasonal greens and baguette. It was fairly enjoyable, but the description is a little off. The avocado is a spread - not sliced avocado, and the tomato vinaigrette was sort of like pico de gallo. I wasn't expecting a Mexican experience on my French sandwich, and if I"d known, I would have tried something else. I don't think the sandwich was as good as those I've had at nearby Pasteur. That said, Toni is a welcome addition to that part of the loop, and I'll be back, even to try the other sandwiches.
  • Post #7 - September 12th, 2011, 9:00 pm
    Post #7 - September 12th, 2011, 9:00 pm Post #7 - September 12th, 2011, 9:00 pm
    Toni Patisserie & Cafe
    65 E. Washington, Chicago, IL 60602
    312‑726‑2020
    Open Daily 7AM-7PM
  • Post #8 - October 30th, 2011, 9:53 am
    Post #8 - October 30th, 2011, 9:53 am Post #8 - October 30th, 2011, 9:53 am
    Toni Patisserie & Cafe is indeed a welcome addition to the Loop. I like the space, which, in contrast to many Loop options, is surprisingly uncrowded. My guess is that most of their business is takeout, but the white marble tables and counter seating are not jammed together, which is nice for a change. I enjoyed looking at the cakes displayed in the window. It all felt rather Parisian for this stretch of Chicago's downtown.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Counterstaff were extraordinarily pleasant and enthusiastic in the genuine way of people who enjoy their work. The menu had house-made pate and Nicoise salad, standards I never tire of eating. There was no pan bagnat, but I had more choices than I could cope with as it was. I particularly enjoyed the fresh herb salad with mesclun and sprightly bits of dill, tarragon, and parsley, judiciously trimmed of stems and incorporated, (and not a single bit of grit or weary lettuce-all too common these days-found!). The vinaigrette had an ever-so-slightly-sweet and hot-spicy-horseradish (?) mustard quality, which meshed well with the herbs in the salad. I was really glad that I had ordered it, even though I realized when my sandwich came that a small side of salad is included with a sandwich.

photo.JPG

The Croque Monsieur satisfied, with its light topping of good bechamel, and a heavy-by-French-standards dose of gruyere. I had no taste for dessert, but the apple tarts looked very good and very French. (Note to Mike G: The raisin croissant might be worth investigating.)

photo.JPG

There was also a handsome, if not staggeringly opulent, selection of cakes. It appears that they can be ordered by the slice.

photo.JPG

One final note: Though I did not get a picture of it, they offer a European breakfast plate in the style of Julius Meinl that features sliced cheese, ham, and a boiled egg with bread and butter. I am eager to have an occasion to eat breakfast in the Loop so that I can try it.
    Last edited by Josephine on October 31st, 2011, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #9 - October 30th, 2011, 9:59 am
    Post #9 - October 30th, 2011, 9:59 am Post #9 - October 30th, 2011, 9:59 am
    I've read and heard enough positive things about this place that I almost wonder if my 2 visits were to a different Toni Patisserie entirely. Pastries were served straight from an ice box at near freezer temperature, and sandwiches had slices of cheap-tasting cheese. I gave up on Toni several weeks ago, but maybe I'll try one more time in light of Josephine's recent report.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #10 - October 30th, 2011, 11:45 am
    Post #10 - October 30th, 2011, 11:45 am Post #10 - October 30th, 2011, 11:45 am
    Kennyz wrote:I've read and heard enough positive things about this place that I almost wonder if my 2 visits were to a different Toni Patisserie entirely. Pastries were served straight from an ice box at near freezer temperature, and sandwiches had slices of cheap-tasting cheese. I gave up on Toni several weeks ago, but maybe I'll try one more time in light of Josephine's recent report.

I had the special tomato & basil tart & a milky cafe au lait & a croissant. All were very, very good. I was shocked by both how good they were and how flaky the pastry was. Oh & the tart with a few greens was under $6/pre-tax and came on an actual plate with actual flatwear ( a huge bargain & pleasant surprise for the Loop).

Do try again. I expected to have an experience like yours and was very pleasantly surprised. Will post bad camera pic later.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #11 - October 30th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    Post #11 - October 30th, 2011, 12:06 pm Post #11 - October 30th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    I went there a few weeks ago and got various pastries and baked goods to go. I thought they were all very good indeed. This is a solid bakery for those who enjoy French/European pastries and breads.
  • Post #12 - December 24th, 2011, 11:31 am
    Post #12 - December 24th, 2011, 11:31 am Post #12 - December 24th, 2011, 11:31 am
    After several visits to Toni's, I think it's safe to say that it is very reminiscent of the kinds of salons de thé found just off the central plaza in every French city and in every neighborhood in Paris. Perhaps not worth a detour, but nice to have in the neighborhood when in search of a light breakfast or snack (and let me add the saumon fumé to the above praiseworthy selections), a loaf of bread, or a pastry fix.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #13 - April 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Post #13 - April 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm Post #13 - April 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    I'm a little late to Toni Patisserie, but my experience today at the Loop location leads me to wonder if things have changed there, perhaps dramatically. My friend and I ordered a plain and almond croissant and two macarons - pistachio and almond. None of the items were remotely good. The worst, however, was the almond croissant, which aside from a cloyingly sweet filling with insufficient almond flavor was encased within a mushy (and not the least bit flaky) dough. This was easily the worst almond croissant I've ever experienced. The plain croissant was not a heck of a lot better - no layers, soft without the slightest bit of crispness to the exterior and it would have taken a divine act of intervention to get this thing to flake.

As for the macarons, they were quite sweet, but neither tasted at all like the flavor advertised. In fairness, I should have recognized these macarons were going to be duds before we even ordered them as the finish was quite matte, none of that sheen you expect to find on a high quality macaron shell, and more rounded than flat.

Ultimately, we were disgusted that we paid anything for these items. We also noticed quiches in the display case that appeared to be way too brown and with far too little filling for the crusts in which they were filled. Needless to say, a very disappointing first visit.
  • Post #14 - October 15th, 2020, 10:27 am
    Post #14 - October 15th, 2020, 10:27 am Post #14 - October 15th, 2020, 10:27 am
    Loop location is permanently closed - https://www.tonipatisserie.com/contact
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #15 - October 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm
    Post #15 - October 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm Post #15 - October 15th, 2020, 12:29 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Loop location is permanently closed - https://www.tonipatisserie.com/contact

It was a nice place in the Loop to meet. But I have had three meetings in the Loop since March. This isn't a surprise.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more