LTH Home

Sally's BBQ reborn? @ BBQ Pit in Highland Park?

Sally's BBQ reborn? @ BBQ Pit in Highland Park?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sally's BBQ reborn? @ BBQ Pit in Highland Park?

Post #1 - October 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm
    Post #1 - October 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm Post #1 - October 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm
    Hi,

I have never been to Sally's. I have heard about Sally's. Frankly, I wouldn't know Sally's BBQ sauce if it stood in front of me and spit in my eye. I simply know it existed.

The last owner of Sally's was Joe Bortz of Highland Park who is a collector of dream cars. He has had the recipe locked away for years. Apparently it is now dusted off, because a flyer in the mail today announced BBQ PIT now offers Sally's BBQ. I called inquiring if that meant they had the sauce. They affirmed they had the sauce.

There is a discussion on Sally's on Chowhound circa 2003 with updates in 2011.

Not having any clue what it is like, I am bird dogging this for anyone who knows what to expect to try for themselves. Please report back, because I am curious if the sauce is as good as remembered.

BBQ Pit
    589 Elm Pl
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (847) 432-6393
    bbqpitribhouse.com
    Hours:
    Mon-Fri 11:30 am - 9 pm
    Sat-Sun 4 pm - 9 pm

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #2 - October 6th, 2011, 12:52 am
    Post #2 - October 6th, 2011, 12:52 am Post #2 - October 6th, 2011, 12:52 am
    Others may have a clearer understanding of the timeline, but as I remember it, Joe Bortz owned "Sally's Stage", a pizza place that was located in the same building, near Devon and Western, that Sally's Barbecue once occupied. As far as I know, the 'Que joint was long gone when Bortz opened Sally's Stage. I don't think there was any connection between Joe Bortz and Sally's Barbecue when it was a going concern.

I'm sure there are posters here who are older than me (condolences), who hung out in the west Rogers Park neighborhood more than I did. If you're out there and know the facts differently, please feel free to correct me.

Buddy
  • Post #3 - October 6th, 2011, 4:00 am
    Post #3 - October 6th, 2011, 4:00 am Post #3 - October 6th, 2011, 4:00 am
    This place was brought up a few years ago here on LTH in regards to their 'Sally's Remembered' ribs. I tried them. They were nothing like Sally's and the sauce was even farther away than the ribs themselves.
  • Post #4 - October 6th, 2011, 8:00 am
    Post #4 - October 6th, 2011, 8:00 am Post #4 - October 6th, 2011, 8:00 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Others may have a clearer understanding of the timeline, but as I remember it, Joe Bortz owned "Sally's Stage", a pizza place that was located in the same building, near Devon and Western, that Sally's Barbecue once occupied. As far as I know, the 'Que joint was long gone when Bortz opened Sally's Stage. I don't think there was any connection between Joe Bortz and Sally's Barbecue when it was a going concern.

I'm sure there are posters here who are older than me (condolences), who hung out in the west Rogers Park neighborhood more than I did. If you're out there and know the facts differently, please feel free to correct me.

Buddy You have the facts correct,Buddy. "Sally's Stage" and "Sally's BBQ had absolutely nothing to do with each other. My guess is that they used the name "Sally's" so they wouldn't have to invest in a new electric sign.

Cathy, At one time Sally's BBQ sauce was bottled for home consumption,although I don't know if it was ever sold in grocery stores. IIRC,the sauce was called Sally's Alabama Kum Back Sauce. If that name or something similar wasn't mentioned in the flyer that I highly doubt it's the real thing
  • Post #5 - November 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm
    Post #5 - November 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm Post #5 - November 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm
    The history of Sally's Bar-B-Q. Dates, addresses, and some great pictures.
    https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2020/11/original-sallys-bar-b-q-restaurant-location-history.html
    Neil Gale, PhD
    Historian

Living History of Illinois and Chicago
    http://LivingHistoryofIllinois.org
    Living History of Illinois and Chicago Digital Library
    http://LivingHistoryofIllinois.com
    Illinois History Store
    http://IllinoisHistoryStore.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize