LTH Home

Oceanique in Evanston?

Oceanique in Evanston?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • Oceanique in Evanston?

Post #1 - April 7th, 2005, 12:08 pm
    Post #1 - April 7th, 2005, 12:08 pm Post #1 - April 7th, 2005, 12:08 pm
    The wife wants to eat at Oceanique in Evanston on Friday. I dont know anything about it except that the Chicago mag review is mediocre. Anyone have any opinions?
    thanks-Will

Oceanique
    505 Main St
    Evanston, IL 60202
    847-864-3435
  • Post #2 - April 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm
    Post #2 - April 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm Post #2 - April 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm
    I'm a big fan. Elegant room, interesting, perfectly prepared fish. (there may be steak and lamb on the menu, but why would you?) Interesting that the Slow Food Guide lists it as one of only four highlighted seafood restaurants in the area - the others being Avenues (no longer as strictly seafood-based), Spring (which I also never really considered a seafood place), and Tin Fish (Tinley Park - don't know much about it, since I'm a Cubs fan and therefore rarely travel south of Madison Street). However - full disclosure - I think a lot of the Slow Food Guide stuff is quirky at best, despite (because of?) my cousin was an editor of it.

Don't know if they're still offering it, but IIRC they used to have a chef's tasting menu weeknights at about $35.

More info on their website
    Last edited by nr706 on April 7th, 2005, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #3 - April 7th, 2005, 2:47 pm
    Post #3 - April 7th, 2005, 2:47 pm Post #3 - April 7th, 2005, 2:47 pm
    I've been once, about a year ago, and the experience was pretty good. I remember not being WOWed by the food, however, and I don't remember specifically what I or any of my companions ate. It is a lovely room that's very comfortable in which to spend an evening. I just looked up Vettel's review on Metromix and it's pretty flattering - makes me want to back for a return visit and give it another try.
    Did you know there is an LTHforum Flickr group? I just found it...
  • Post #4 - April 7th, 2005, 5:36 pm
    Post #4 - April 7th, 2005, 5:36 pm Post #4 - April 7th, 2005, 5:36 pm
    I went with my father a while back. I remember it as one of the better seafood meals I have eaten in the Chicago area. Good service as well.
    I believe my dad had swordfish with a sweet pea risotto. I had Monkfish "osso bucco" i think.
    both great.
  • Post #5 - April 7th, 2005, 10:40 pm
    Post #5 - April 7th, 2005, 10:40 pm Post #5 - April 7th, 2005, 10:40 pm
    I just ate at Oceanique yesterday. They still have the $35 three course menu which was quite good (although the desserts were several small desserts that were not very well presented and seemed more like the leftovers (although they were tasty). I have preferred Atlantique, but Oceanique is almost as good (a two star restaurant).

I had an excellently prepared halibut as my main course. They also gave us an amuse bouche and a palate cleaner - a very good value all-in-all.

However, when the waiter gave us the menu, he did not include the sheet that included the $35 pre fixe. I had to ask specifically.

Note that this offer is only good from Monday to Friday.
  • Post #6 - April 8th, 2005, 8:13 am
    Post #6 - April 8th, 2005, 8:13 am Post #6 - April 8th, 2005, 8:13 am
    Thanks to all. I will try the tasting.
    -Will
  • Post #7 - April 10th, 2005, 3:09 pm
    Post #7 - April 10th, 2005, 3:09 pm Post #7 - April 10th, 2005, 3:09 pm
    We ate there Friday night, and We all had the $35 tasting menu, which was not on the menu (a $60 one was), and not mentioned until I asked. It was a good deal if you ordered the halibut, which is $32 anyway, and you get the small amuse, palate cleanser, and the dessert, which was a selection of the items on the pastry tray, and quite good. I am not sure that it would have made much sense to do the tasting with the other 2 entree choices, pasta or salmon, which were only low $20's when ordered as the meal. We also got 2 orders of foie gras for the 4 of us in honor of Mr. Trotter. The presentation was very good, but the portion was unacceptably small for $17. The halibut was very good, and a decent portion. Excellent wine list.
    -Will
  • Post #8 - December 4th, 2006, 7:06 pm
    Post #8 - December 4th, 2006, 7:06 pm Post #8 - December 4th, 2006, 7:06 pm
    In another thread discussing our recent meal at Le Titi de Paris, I referred to our meal just the night before at Oceanique in these words: “Interestingly, the Lovely Dining Companion and I ate at Oceanique the night before. Had we not done so, I would have probably been more impressed. But everything at Oceanique—the presentations, the service, and the quality of the food—was so superb that it overshadowed even the presentation and quality at Le Titi de Paris.” I promised to write something up when the time arose and this is that promised post.

The Lovely Dining Companion and I made an offer on a house in Evanston. After more than 18 months of searching, we actually managed to find a house we liked in a neighborhood that we liked. So what if we couldn’t afford it? To celebrate, we ate at Oceanique. In a nutshell, the best meal I’ve had in ages. Ages. (Excluding the kitchen “counter” at Avenues for my birthday a few months ago, but that’s apples/oranges.) As it happened, we couldn’t agree with the sellers on a price and so we didn’t get the house (yet), but I still consider the day a great success. I can’t remember enjoying a meal more: the service was very good (if unpolished), the food, absolutely excellent, and the presentations among the very best I’ve ever seen.

The rooms (there are two) for those who have never been are vaguely (at least to me), rococo and a bit...fustian (is that the word?). Never mind. They are human-sized rooms: cozy, warm, and like eating at Grandma’s house. I wouldn’t have decorated them this way, but then, I eat at home most nights and I’m occasionally tired of my choices too. Besides, it’s healthy to eat in someone else’s house once in a while. Our waiter seemed young—grad-student-at-Northwestern young. But who knows? His service was not polished but he more than made up for his errors of omission and commission by an eagerness to please and a genuine warmth that contrast with all too many professional servers. Yes, I would have preferred that he notice x or take care of y without being prompted. But I’d far rather have his sincere pleasure in serving and making us feel comfortable than a professional just going through his or her paces. His eagerness was endearing (don’t I sound like your proverbial maiden aunt?) and we enjoyed his efforts.

Appetizers were truly appetizing introductions to the meal awaiting us. LDC began with a pear, watercress and gorgonzola salad, topped with candied walnuts and a buttermilk dressing. Nothing cutting edge but certainly a composition that can be done poorly. Her pet peeve is overdressed salads and she asked that it be dressed very lightly. They did so. Rather than put the dressing on the side (always a bit inconvenient), the kitchen fielded the request and handled it perfectly. One wouldn’t think this a difficult challenge, but I can attest to far too many kitchen that simply didn’t understand. The salad was charming (not to mention delicious). I opted for seared sea scallops in a lobster-cilantro broth with choy sum (a bok choy relative from all I could gather) and ginger. The only difficulty I had was deciding whether it tasted better than it looked or vice versa. Seventeen thumbs up and we were just getting started.

Dinner for the Lovely Dining Companion was a special that evening: a wild Alaskan white salmon. I wish I could report on more of the details but we took no notes (this was a celebration) and the dish is not listed on the on-line menu. To the best of LDC’s recollection, it was pan-fried and accompanied with a poblano-cilantro sauce, a great complement. LDC is very sensitive to heat levels and the poblano was, as promised, quite mild. The intriguing thing for both LDC and I was that the fish tasted rich and buttery without the characteristic “salmon” flavor. It’s a meaty fish, new to both of us, and it was quite enjoyable. If there was a criticism, LDC found it a bit lacking in flavor (a criticism I didn’t share), a flaw more than compensated for by the sauce.

I debated long and hard. Oceanique is, as one might expect, a seafood place. My problem was choosing among the various alternatives on the relatively small/mid-sized menu. Everything tempted in its own way. I even entertained some of the carnivorous options so hard was it to choose from the seafood. Finally, after much agony, I settled on the house version of bouillabaise. What had put me off a bit was the inclusion of salmon, something I have never seen (to my recollection) in bouillabaise before. Salmon is not—how to say this?—my favorite fish. And I was concerned that including it in a bouillabaise just wouldn’t work. But, relying on the restaurant’s reputation and the positive sign that everything else on the menu sounded delectable, I placed myself in the hands of Mark Grosz, chef de cuisine and owner. A better decision I haven’t made in quite some time. Lord knows there were enough other things going on in this dish: halibut, barramundi, shrimp, scallops, squid and mussels, all accompanied by the “standard” crouton with aioli. (The aioli, if nits be picked, was a bit underspiced for my taste. Still, the round richness and depth of flavor nearly compensated for falling short on the heat quotient.)

When the dishes arrived, I was concerned. The portions appeared to be small. Well, okay, I was concerned for me. LDC is a small woman and a small-appearing portion wouldn’t likely pose much of a problem. But mine was small-appearing, too. Silly me. That’s why Mark Grosz is the chef and I’m not. The small pond of broth encircling the island of seafood in the center was clearly tomato based, more in the cream of tomato school than in the bouillon pedagogical camp. I forgot all about the salmon. I took yet another moment to appreciate the work of art that was the plate placed before me. It may not have been perfect, but I don’t think I’ll ever see better. Every single plate we had been served, appetizers and entrees both (and dessert still to come), bore the evidence of single-minded attention to detail in service of pleasure. The plates themselves were beautiful and the presentations simply unbeatable. This is the kind of devotion that makes an evening out a joy. How can one not enjoy the food? And enjoy we did. Both of us. Even to the point that I may have embarrassed LDC by demanding more bread, the better to sop up the sauce. Too good to leave even an ounce of evidence.

(To accompany, a Spanish wine I knew nothing of: 2004 Coto de Hayas. The server said that it had a strawberry note. I thought he was kidding but, by the glass options were limited and it seemed like the best choice. He was right: strawberry. And the strawberry note was immediately evident. A little research since has disclosed that the wine is made from garnacha (ah, grenache!) and a Spanish grape I know nothing of, tempranillo. It spends six months in new French oak and, as recommended by our “grad student,” it worked perfectly with the bouillabaise. Enough acid, well-balanced, lots of flavor. Although the by-the-glass selection was smallish, the bottle selection was impressive as hell; their website advertises that “Oceanique has won Wine Spectator Magazine’s coveted "Award of Excellence" every year since 1994.” I believe it and only wish we could have chosen from the bottles. But since LDC doesn’t drink, that will have to await a visit in other company.)

Dinner for two, including one glass of wine, tax, but without tip: about $120. All in all, a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable evening with some of the best food, stellar presentations, and cozy ambiance it’s been my pleasure to enjoy in a long time.

Oceanique
    505 Main St
    Evanston, IL 60202
    (847) 864-3435
    http://www.oceanique.com

(moderator edit: address)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #9 - December 4th, 2006, 9:34 pm
    Post #9 - December 4th, 2006, 9:34 pm Post #9 - December 4th, 2006, 9:34 pm
    Oceanique has long been a favorite of mine, and I'm glad to see it getting some well-deserved praise. They have a weeknight prix-fixe that is quite a bargain, considering the consistent quality of the cooking. The atmosphere is intimate and rather quiet, making it a great place for dinner a deux. I have it on good authority that their bartender is a competent mixologist. Thanks for the details, Gypsy Boy.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #10 - December 5th, 2006, 9:21 am
    Post #10 - December 5th, 2006, 9:21 am Post #10 - December 5th, 2006, 9:21 am
    We, too, used to eat at Oceanique frequently, for almost all our special occasions, but then decided we really ought to try other places and hadn't been back for quite some time. Recently, though, we stopped in for dessert, and remembered how much we had liked it. We had excellent pastries, good coffee, and very gracious service -- certainly no problem coming in just for our after dinner treats. Your review makes me think that we'll have to make it back it for a full meal sometime soon.

And congatulations on your new house and welcome to Evanston! Despite the high taxes and the middle-of-the-night street cleaning, it's a great place to live (and to raise kids, if you have any or plan to.) No doubt you have plenty of contacts and all the info you need, but if you need any such advise (like where can I get a good painter or whathaveyou) feel free to send me a personal message.
    ToniG
  • Post #11 - December 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm
    Post #11 - December 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm Post #11 - December 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm
    Oceanique is one of our favorite restaurants! When we go there, we find that every bite of every dish is so delicious it makes us swoon. This is our criterion for a great restaurant - that we can order two appetizers, two soups or salads, two entrees, and two desserts, and all eight dishes are heavenly. You would think that the top restaurants would meet that criterion all the time, but very few of them actually do. Oceanique does so consistently.

Sure, they specialize in seafood, and the seafood dishes are indeed wonderful. But don't hesitate to order meat dishes there; you'll find that they are every bit as impressive as the seafood dishes. The soups are the best anywhere. And so are the desserts! Oh, the desserts! Mmmmm!!! How could you not mention what you had for dessert???

If you do end up in Evanston, you'll find that there are lots and lots of great restaurants in town, probably the greatest concentration in the entire Chicago metropolitan area, outside of the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast part of the city.

BTW, they are talking about doing away with middle-of-the-night street cleaning in Evanston...
  • Post #12 - December 6th, 2006, 6:55 pm
    Post #12 - December 6th, 2006, 6:55 pm Post #12 - December 6th, 2006, 6:55 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Oh, the desserts! Mmmmm!!! How could you not mention what you had for dessert???

Indeed! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

We did indeed have desserts: LDC enjoyed a wonderful creme brulee ensconced in a lovely, tiny, irretrievably appealing pumpkin. She polished it off. I chose--after extensive deliberation and (truth be told) one eye on the scale--a berry tart. Not the very best I've had but certainly in keeping with an excellent meal. Topped with a scoop of vanilla (or was it cinnamon?) ice cream. Scrumptious is, I believe, the word. All in all, the desserts were a fitting end to a wonderful meal and I have been exceedingly remiss in not accounting for them heretofore.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #13 - December 6th, 2006, 9:01 pm
    Post #13 - December 6th, 2006, 9:01 pm Post #13 - December 6th, 2006, 9:01 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:If you do end up in Evanston, you'll find that there are lots and lots of great restaurants in town, probably the greatest concentration in the entire Chicago metropolitan area, outside of the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast part of the city.

?????????
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - December 6th, 2006, 10:03 pm
    Post #14 - December 6th, 2006, 10:03 pm Post #14 - December 6th, 2006, 10:03 pm
    stevez wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:If you do end up in Evanston, you'll find that there are lots and lots of great restaurants in town, probably the greatest concentration in the entire Chicago metropolitan area, outside of the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast part of the city.

?????????

I'm with you, steve. That statement really puzzles me too. I've said it up before here, but my view of Evanston dining is all about a lot of places that make up the meaty part of the bell curve---food that's not too bad and not too good. As for Mich.Ave/Gold Coast, that's gotta be one of the weakest food areas in the entire metro area.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to discredit anyone else's opinion. Sorry, nsxtasy but my experience is exactly the opposite.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #15 - December 6th, 2006, 10:55 pm
    Post #15 - December 6th, 2006, 10:55 pm Post #15 - December 6th, 2006, 10:55 pm
    eatchicago wrote:
    stevez wrote:

?????????

I'm with you, steve. That statement really puzzles me too. I've said it up before here, but my view of Evanston dining is all about a lot of places that make up the meaty part of the bell curve---food that's not too bad and not too good. As for Mich.Ave/Gold Coast, that's gotta be one of the weakest food areas in the entire metro area.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to discredit anyone else's opinion. Sorry, nsxtasy but my experience is exactly the opposite.

Best,
    Michael

As a long-time Evanstonian, I guess I agree and disagree. Yeah, the reference to Gold Coast/Boul Mich was off, but that doesn't negate the fact that there is a high concentration of good places to eat out here - possibly more than any other 'burb. And, sure, many are within the fat part of the bell curve (not that there's anything wrong with that), but there's Nepalese, three - count' em three - creditable Jamaicans (just had the nicely-done jerk chicken from Claire's Korner the other night), and if you stretch the boundaries by half a block, good Montenegrin at Deta's. And certainly since Trio closed, the very high end hasn't been well-represented, although the near-high-end has quite a few representatives. I'm looking forward to trying Quince (opened today in the old Trio space).

But to quote nsxtasy's comment that "you'll find that there are lots and lots of great restaurants in town", and then to say "Sorry, nsxtasy but my experience is exactly the opposite." is a bit harsh, don't you think? Or am I inadvertantly taking things out of context?
  • Post #16 - December 6th, 2006, 11:44 pm
    Post #16 - December 6th, 2006, 11:44 pm Post #16 - December 6th, 2006, 11:44 pm

I am sure there are many great places ot eat in our sister city to Oak Park. I used to think that the Oak Park/Forest Park area had a lot of great places to eat (and it does!).

... but after working thru the GNR's and other great recommended places it would be difficult to choose. Many different tastes.

I think the best way to choose the greatest density of great restaurants in an area would be look at the distribution of GNR's on the map.

... or as a massive project, look at all of the recommended restaurants (Yikes!). :)
  • Post #17 - December 7th, 2006, 1:52 am
    Post #17 - December 7th, 2006, 1:52 am Post #17 - December 7th, 2006, 1:52 am
    nr706 wrote:But to quote nsxtasy's comment that "you'll find that there are lots and lots of great restaurants in town", and then to say "Sorry, nsxtasy but my experience is exactly the opposite." is a bit harsh, don't you think? Or am I inadvertantly taking things out of context?

NR,

I don't think it's the part you quoted from nsxtasy's comments, but the next part, that you left off to which Michael took exception. "probably the greatest concentration in the entire Chicago metropolitan area, outside of the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast part of the city."

Seems a little odd to me as well, both Michigan Ave/Gold Coast and "greatest concentration".

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - December 7th, 2006, 2:07 am
    Post #18 - December 7th, 2006, 2:07 am Post #18 - December 7th, 2006, 2:07 am
    If I misinterpreted Michael's comment, I apologize profusely. While, obviously, there are some very good restaurants (many of them expense-account places) in the Gold Coast, I completely agree with the sentiment that "greatest concentration" is an overstatement, to say the least.
  • Post #19 - December 7th, 2006, 6:18 am
    Post #19 - December 7th, 2006, 6:18 am Post #19 - December 7th, 2006, 6:18 am
    Here's where I have talked about this before.

Recently, my wife and I were in Evanston to see a movie and we remarked on how long it has been since we've been to Evanston for any reason (maybe 8 months), even though we drive all around the metro area to enjoy different restaurants. We discussed how there tons of restaurants in Evanston, but not a single one that we have considered destination-worthy as of late.

nr706, no need to apologize profusely. We're just sharing opinions.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #20 - December 7th, 2006, 8:18 am
    Post #20 - December 7th, 2006, 8:18 am Post #20 - December 7th, 2006, 8:18 am
    eatchicago wrote:As for Mich.Ave/Gold Coast, that's gotta be one of the weakest food areas in the entire metro area.

Are you kidding? Although I initially reacted as did others to nsxtasy's observation, I think we may be overlooking something: the fact that there is an indisputable concentration of very high end restaurants in the vicinity nsxtasy refers to. Off the top of my head I come up with the following in the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast area:

1. Spiaggia (and Cafe Spiaggia)
    2. Avenues
    3. Tru
    4. Ritz-Carlton
    5. Seasons
    6. Shanghai Terrace
    7. NoMI
    8. Les Nomades (at least arguably)

Is that enough for a "concentration"? I don't know but, frankly, it strikes me as one hell of a respectable list. Is there another area with a similar number of top-rated places? What else is near Trotter's or the Everest Room or Alinea or Moto? Are there other excellent places in small concentrations? Of course. But offhand, I can't think of anywhere else with even this small number of very top places.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #21 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
    Post #21 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am Post #21 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Although I initially reacted as did other to nsxtasy's observation, I think we may be overlooking something: the fact that there is an indisputable concentration of very high end restaurants in the vicinity nsxtasy refers to. Off the top of my head I come up with the following in the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast area:

1. Spiaggia (and Cafe Spiaggia)
    2. Avenues
    3. NoMI
    4. Ritz-Carlton
    5. Seasons
    6. Shanghai Terrace
    7. Tru
    8. Les Nomades

It may not be the highest concentration of high end places in town but, frankly, it strikes me as one hell of a respectable list. Is there a similar area with a similar number of similarly top-rated places? What else is near Trotter's or the Everest Room or Alinea?

Gypsy Boy,

A lot of these places are expensive and in the Gold Coast area, but that is a paltry number compares to, forexample, the list of GNR restaurants that are scattered around the city, none of which are in the Gold Coast.

As far as Evanston goes, I'll agree with eatchicago and others. There are indeed lots of restaurants in Evanston, but few (not all) are much better than 2nd tier joints that are chosen more out of convenience than as a destination unto themselves...not that there's anything wrong with that. Oceanique, in particular, has not been very good in my limited experience (which I posted here, but cannot find the link right now). I will say that in light of some positive reviews of that place, I probably owe it another visit.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #22 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
    Post #22 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am Post #22 - December 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Is there a similar area with a similar number of similarly top-rated places?

It depends on who's doing the "top-rating" ;)

In my book, Albany Park and bordering neighborhoods is the culinary Mecca of the north side. I'd put Argyle St. to be a close 2nd in terms of density of excellent options. Then there's Pilsen-La Villita-Chinatown.....
  • Post #23 - December 7th, 2006, 8:28 am
    Post #23 - December 7th, 2006, 8:28 am Post #23 - December 7th, 2006, 8:28 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Although I initially reacted as did other to nsxtasy's observation, I think we may be overlooking something: the fact that there is an indisputable concentration of very high end restaurants in the vicinity nsxtasy refers to.

GB,

Sure, maybe, but nsxtasy said "great restaurants" not high end. Personally, I think Carniceria Leon is just as great as Avenues.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Carniceria Leon
    1402 N Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    773-772-9804

Avenues
    The Peninsula Hotel
    108 E. Superior
    312-337-2888
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - December 7th, 2006, 8:29 am
    Post #24 - December 7th, 2006, 8:29 am Post #24 - December 7th, 2006, 8:29 am
    stevez wrote:A lot of these places are expensive and in the Gold Coast area, but that is a paltry number compares to, forexample, the list of GNR restaurants that are scattered around the city, none of which are in the Gold Coast.

Surely you're not suggesting that simply because these places are expensive that they're not good? More to the point, comparing Spiaggia or Tru to GNR restaurants strikes me as apples and oranges. I agree wholeheartedly about the GNRs, but that wasn't nsxtasy's point--at least not as I understood it. And I too agree about Evanston. I wasn't replying to that part of the post--just the controversy about Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast.

G Wiv wrote:Sure, maybe, but nsxtasy said "great restaurants" not high end.

It seems to me that our disagreement relates to the what nsxtasy meant by "great restaurants." I took it to mean one thing. Others took it to mean something else. I think we're both right. My post was simply a response based on my initial take about what the phrase meant. I don't dispute for a moment that the GNRs are "great"; it's just that my initial reaction was something else. So sue me! :D
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #25 - December 7th, 2006, 8:35 am
    Post #25 - December 7th, 2006, 8:35 am Post #25 - December 7th, 2006, 8:35 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Surely you're not suggesting that simply because these places are expensive that they're not good?

I don't think anyone is saying that at all.

Gypsy Boy wrote:More to the point, comparing Spiaggia or Tru to GNR restaurants strikes me as apples and oranges. I agree wholeheartedly about the GNRs, but that wasn't nsxtasy's point--at least not as I understood it.

This was my point about how "it depends on who's doing the rating." nsxtasy's point referenced "great" restaurants. If he said "great, expensive restaurants", I would defer to the Gold Coast.
  • Post #26 - December 7th, 2006, 8:43 am
    Post #26 - December 7th, 2006, 8:43 am Post #26 - December 7th, 2006, 8:43 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Surely you're not suggesting that simply because these places are expensive that they're not good? More to the point, comparing Spiaggia or Tru to GNR restaurants strikes me as apples and oranges.

No. I'm not suggesting that at all. What I am suggesting is that a list of 8 great restaurants out of the thousands in that area proves that the pickings are slim in that area...and you've got to pay through the nose to get a decent meal at that. I also think you are completely wrong about the comparison of Spiaggia or Tru to any GNR restaurants. Although both of the examples you give are excellent restaurants, they don't take a back seat to any of the GNR awarded reastaurants (which include Moto, BTW) when it comes to comparing the food on a apples to apples basis.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #27 - December 7th, 2006, 8:47 am
    Post #27 - December 7th, 2006, 8:47 am Post #27 - December 7th, 2006, 8:47 am
    stevez wrote:Although both of the examples you give are excellent restaurants. They don't take a back seat to any of the GNR awarded reastaurants (which include Moto, BTW)...

Golly, hit a nerve. I don't think anything I wrote--including especially my last post which I had thought made my feelings clear--could be read to suggest that I believe that any GNR place takes "a back seat" to any of the places I listed. To reiterate: I don't think that any GNR place (many of which I frequent and enjoy) is less "great" than a high-end/expensive place...just different. Jeez. :?
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #28 - December 7th, 2006, 8:49 am
    Post #28 - December 7th, 2006, 8:49 am Post #28 - December 7th, 2006, 8:49 am
    Evanston delenda est.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #29 - December 7th, 2006, 9:08 am
    Post #29 - December 7th, 2006, 9:08 am Post #29 - December 7th, 2006, 9:08 am
    But hey! How about that Oceanique?

It does sound great but a special occasion is just too far away. I might have to make something up like "Thanks for surviving the Holiday season" or "Thanks for doing all of those little things say after day". :)

My gut feel about places is usually dead on and I got a particularly warm feeling about this place.

I can't wait!
  • Post #30 - December 7th, 2006, 9:42 am
    Post #30 - December 7th, 2006, 9:42 am Post #30 - December 7th, 2006, 9:42 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote: don't think anything I wrote--including especially my last post which I had thought made my feelings clear--could be read to suggest that I believe that any GNR place takes "a back seat" to any of the places I listed.

That is simply not true

Gypsy Boy wrote:More to the point, comparing Spiaggia or Tru to GNR restaurants strikes me as apples and oranges.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events