LTH Home

Scofflaw

Scofflaw
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - March 29th, 2012, 8:17 am
    Post #31 - March 29th, 2012, 8:17 am Post #31 - March 29th, 2012, 8:17 am
    rcurran wrote:I'd say I disagree with Viera's article, but it seems like a lot of the comments are more quick scrambles to get a joke in than an attempt to confront her actual argument...but it's a potentially interesting discussion, if you're willing to overlook her tone, which is definitely abrasive at points.

What argument? She has simply begged the question of the superiority of single-spirit bars and then gone on to bemoan the lack of them in Chicago (which, it turns out, is false, along with several other points in her "essay" and subsequent blog post).

She could have waxed poetically about how a single-spirit bar would focus the creativity and palate of a bartender a la Picasso's blue period, or have made many other very legitimate arguments, but she didn't. She essentially said, "Hey, hicks. This is what they're doing on the coasts. And, here's a list of cool places I've been. Chicago sucks because we can't be like LA and NYC." I think the veracity of the first two points is questionable based on her inaccurate descriptions (see Paul's blog linked above), and I simply don't agree with the last. We have a cocktail culture all our own here, and while I love Milk & Honey, I wouldn't trade The Violet Hour for a dozen of them.
  • Post #32 - April 2nd, 2012, 3:23 pm
    Post #32 - April 2nd, 2012, 3:23 pm Post #32 - April 2nd, 2012, 3:23 pm
    Somewhere in Manhattan, a bakelite telephone rings out from a fake phone booth within a post-ironic hot dog joint. It rings sophistication and it calls out Viera. Please pick it up.
  • Post #33 - April 2nd, 2012, 6:16 pm
    Post #33 - April 2nd, 2012, 6:16 pm Post #33 - April 2nd, 2012, 6:16 pm
    She recently posted a question about where to drink in LA and was directed to the Cana Rum Bar. Taking a look at the drink menu, they appear to offer drinks made with non-rum (gasp). Doesn't seem too exclusive to me. Even for one of the highly advanced coasts.
  • Post #34 - April 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm
    Post #34 - April 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm Post #34 - April 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm
    JeffB wrote:Somewhere in Manhattan, a bakelite telephone rings out from a fake phone booth within a post-ironic hot dog joint. It rings sophistication and it calls out Viera. Please pick it up.

PDT?
  • Post #35 - April 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am
    Post #35 - April 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am Post #35 - April 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am
    Um, what happened to the rule that these posts focus on the food (or in this case the drinks)? This entire thread has started to read more as a highly personalized witch hunt than a good-faith effort to engage the argument, which -- agree or disagree -- was clearly provocative.

I have no particular horse in this race -- haven't yet been to Scofflaw (though it's on my list) and am far from a spirits expert -- but I'd expect better from the lth community than ad hominem attacks. I may not fully agree with Lauren Viera's position, but I certainly support her right to articulate it. Sure, I'm now equally guilty of not focusing on the drinks, but the unilateral dismissal not only of Viera's argument but of Viera herself, compelled me to submit at least one post to the contrary.
  • Post #36 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am
    Post #36 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am Post #36 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am
    ChristyP wrote:Um, what happened to the rule that these posts focus on the food (or in this case the drinks)? This entire thread has started to read more as a highly personalized witch hunt than a good-faith effort to engage the argument, which -- agree or disagree -- was clearly provocative.

Provocation tends to go hand in hand with the publishing of half-truths. She's wrong about the spirit exclusivity of the drinks lists at several of the places referenced as examples we should be following. She's wrong about Chicago having no spirit-exclusive drinks lists. Other than that, what was the point of her article? As I've said above, there is no actual "argument" to her "essay". The piece itself and her response to it are transparent posturing...a chance to mention all the hip spots she's visited and a vehicle for a few controversially bon mots with little to no basis in fact. It's not worth the digital ink that's been spilled so far, but since every one liner deserves another we'll probably be discussing it for quite some time.

ChristyP wrote:I have no particular horse in this race -- haven't yet been to Scofflaw (though it's on my list) and am far from a spirits expert -- but I'd expect better from the lth community than ad hominem attacks. I may not fully agree with Lauren Viera's position, but I certainly support her right to articulate it. Sure, I'm now equally guilty of not focusing on the drinks, but the unilateral dismissal not only of Viera's argument but of Viera herself, compelled me to submit at least one post to the contrary.

She's not only wrong, but fascinatingly arrogant (to the point of comedy) in her style. That's why I've dismissed her. If she wants to argue that Chicago needs and deserves a gin-centric bar, that's her right. But, so far she hasn't even started to compose the argument, let alone laid out a case that is deserving of engagement. I wish her best of luck in doing so, because clearly whatever she writes will get plenty of attention.
  • Post #37 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:51 am
    Post #37 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:51 am Post #37 - April 3rd, 2012, 9:51 am
    As a resident of NYC, I can say that this whole thing amuses me because:

a) The single-spirit thing IMO seems to stem from the over-saturation in the handcrafted/mixologist/whatever cocktail bars scene in NYC.

As a trend, it's up there with "fake facade/hidden in basement/hidden in attic," "a punch-only menu," "barrel age everything!," "cocktails on tap!", and the newest entry, a bar whose cocktail list changes every single day, which they post on Facebook (it could be great, but this strikes me as overly gimmicky).

So far in 2012, the following high end cocktail bars have opened: The Wayland, The Daily, JBird (UES branch), The NoMad, Booker & Dax, The Haberdasher (in the attic of 5 Ninth), and Ginny's Supper Club (in the basement of Red Rooster). Very soon to be joined by The Experimental Cocktail Club's NY output in a few weeks.

Being a single-spirit bar seems to be one of the few ways to distinguish your bar from the herd in NYC.

b) The single-spirit bar is a pain in the neck if you have 2 or more people with varying tastes.

c) I've been to Madam Geneva and it's, well, not really that great.

As such, I look forward to trying the Scofflaw.
  • Post #38 - April 4th, 2012, 10:07 am
    Post #38 - April 4th, 2012, 10:07 am Post #38 - April 4th, 2012, 10:07 am
    ChristyP wrote:Um, what happened to the rule that these posts focus on the food (or in this case the drinks)? This entire thread has started to read more as a highly personalized witch hunt than a good-faith effort to engage the argument, which -- agree or disagree -- was clearly provocative.

I have no particular horse in this race -- haven't yet been to Scofflaw (though it's on my list) and am far from a spirits expert -- but I'd expect better from the lth community than ad hominem attacks. I may not fully agree with Lauren Viera's position, but I certainly support her right to articulate it. Sure, I'm now equally guilty of not focusing on the drinks, but the unilateral dismissal not only of Viera's argument but of Viera herself, compelled me to submit at least one post to the contrary.

How about that so many of the posts in this thread have almost nothing to do with the thread title - is there really an establishment named Scofflaw? Perhaps someone should create a new thread titled "Lauren Viera" where people could then discuss the merits/demerits of Scofflaw.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #39 - April 4th, 2012, 10:53 am
    Post #39 - April 4th, 2012, 10:53 am Post #39 - April 4th, 2012, 10:53 am
    The wife and I stopped in again at Scofflaw last week and had another very enjoyable session. It was early and we were able to enjoy some Dealer's Choice cocktails made by Danny. Our first round were a classic Daisy and a classic daiquiri made with El Dorado 3-year. Both were superb in that way that classic cocktails so often are not. They were made with touch and finesse, and great attention to detail had been paid. After that, we gave Danny the 'green light' to experiment on us and the results were great. More rounds followed but I didn't take notes this time around.

There's so much to like about this place. It possesses all the qualities that I personally seek in a bar. The vibe is super friendly and laid back. The space is comfortable. The quality and variety of the spirits on the shelf -- and the drinks being made with them -- are great. Danny's knowledge and passion are clearly evident, which makes Scofflaw a destination for me.

The food is quite notable, too. On this night, in addition to enjoying another one of Mickey's fine guapachoza specials, we also devoured an order of piping hot, perfectly-crispy-tender frites with pimenton aioli (the first order of fries I've actually finished in I don't know how long), the daily vegetable dish -- a delectable plank of roasted cauliflower with tiny carrots, and an item that is likely to hit the regular menu soon: an French/Elote-style corn salad, topped with white anchovies and served in an avocado half. Wow!

For me, Scofflaw covers all the bases and it's already firmly in my regular rotation.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - April 4th, 2012, 10:55 am
    Post #40 - April 4th, 2012, 10:55 am Post #40 - April 4th, 2012, 10:55 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:we also devoured an order of piping hot, perfectly-crispy-tender frites with pimenton aioli (the first order of fries I've actually finished in I don't know how long)

These fries are really good, and the pimenton aioli has a wonderful smokiness that prompted me to comment to my wife that it was reminiscent of Baconnaise...
  • Post #41 - April 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm
    Post #41 - April 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm Post #41 - April 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm
    Scofflaw's fries are hands down my favorite fries in Chicago. And the pimenton aioli is something that I could happily eat with a spoon.
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #42 - April 8th, 2012, 11:07 am
    Post #42 - April 8th, 2012, 11:07 am Post #42 - April 8th, 2012, 11:07 am
    geli wrote:Scofflaw's fries are hands down my favorite fries in Chicago. And the pimenton aioli is something that I could happily eat with a spoon.

Yes, they are, indeed, terrific. I had some at a(nother) visit last week.

Frites and Pimenton Aioli

But I should start at the beginning because the frites were actually the last item we ordered. We arrived right at the open (5:00 pm), when Danny and the crew were just finishing their set-up for the evening . . .

Danny Shapiro preps the citrus

Danny setting up for service

Being that it was early -- and not yet busy -- my companion and I opted for some Dealer's Choice cocktails. I made some notes on the drinks we were served (and got to taste) and took some pictures of drinks being made for other folks in the bar . . .

El Dorado 5-year, Strega, lime juice, simple syrup, house bitters

Corn & Oil

Ransom Old Tom gin, Bonal, Escorial, Fees Rhubarb bitters, expressed grapefruit oil

Del Maguey Chichicapa mezcal, Rittenhouse 100, Carpano Antica Formula, Peychaud's, expressed orange oil

Cocktail

Cocktail

Smith & Cross, honey syrup, muddled mint, pineapple juice float

At this point, we and the patron next to us ordered a couple items I'd had on previous visits (described upthread). He was kind enough to let me photograph them . . .

Guapichosa | lard-cooked pork cheek and pork belly, brisket, chipotle, avocado, tomato, greens, etc.
    Just a killer sandwich all the way around. A delectable, meaty, messy, slightly-smoky, umami bomb. This sandwich is the stuff of dreams.

Veg of the Day | roasted cauliflower and carrots, olive oil, salt
    If you're a fan of cauliflower (as I am), this dish is a must-order. It's tender - but not mushy - with great roasted flavor. The light dash of olive oil and sprinkle of salt are perfect accents.

In addition to the frites pictured above, we also had the refreshing chicory salad, and were treated to sample bowls of a very tasty cauliflower and raw scallop soup, which is likely to hit the menu soon (sorry, no pics).

Before we left, we enjoyed one more round and watched a few more meticulously-crafted cocktails go out to other customers . . .

Old Fashioned

Cocktail

Cocktail

What an enjoyable place Scofflaw is to spend time. On this night we chit-chatted with the friendly staff and with a bunch of other customers. There were some neighborhooders, some industry folks and -- like us -- some who'd purposefully zig-zagged out of their own neighborhoods just to come to Scofflaw.

=R=
  • Post #43 - April 9th, 2012, 8:04 am
    Post #43 - April 9th, 2012, 8:04 am Post #43 - April 9th, 2012, 8:04 am
    Ronnie - what is Streggo? I can't seem to find it on-line.
  • Post #44 - April 9th, 2012, 10:34 am
    Post #44 - April 9th, 2012, 10:34 am Post #44 - April 9th, 2012, 10:34 am
    Darren72 wrote:Ronnie - what is Streggo? I can't seem to find it on-line.

That would likely be Strega, an Italian herbal liqueur with similarities to Yellow Chartreuse.

Also, the Mezcal mentioned is Chichicapa.
  • Post #45 - April 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    Post #45 - April 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm Post #45 - April 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    kl1191 wrote:

That would likely be Strega, an Italian herbal liqueur with similarities to Yellow Chartreuse.

LOL, stupid auto-correct (I took those notes in my phone). :D

Thanks, kl. Corrections made above.

=R=
  • Post #46 - April 9th, 2012, 12:16 pm
    Post #46 - April 9th, 2012, 12:16 pm Post #46 - April 9th, 2012, 12:16 pm
    Thanks - and great post, Ronnie.
  • Post #47 - April 9th, 2012, 1:34 pm
    Post #47 - April 9th, 2012, 1:34 pm Post #47 - April 9th, 2012, 1:34 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    kl1191 wrote:

LOL, stupid auto-correct (I took those notes in my phone). :D

Thanks, kl. Corrections made above.

=R=

Right...right..."auto-correct". It couldn't possibly have been the work of the 10 (!) :shock: cocktails pictured above. Several of those were going to "other customers". :lol:
  • Post #48 - April 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm
    Post #48 - April 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm Post #48 - April 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm
    kl1191 wrote:Right...right..."auto-correct". It couldn't possibly have been the work of the 10 (!) :shock: cocktails pictured above. Several of those were going to "other customers". :lol:

LOL :lol:

I'd gladly claim drunkeness as my excuse but the ones I missed were way too early for that excuse to fly.

=R=
  • Post #49 - April 10th, 2012, 3:59 pm
    Post #49 - April 10th, 2012, 3:59 pm Post #49 - April 10th, 2012, 3:59 pm
    Ronnie, I am shocked you've resumed original, thoughtful, and informative commentary when we haven't finished giving the bastinado to Ms. Viera yet. We have standards to uphold, you know, the subject line notwithstanding.
  • Post #50 - April 24th, 2012, 2:19 pm
    Post #50 - April 24th, 2012, 2:19 pm Post #50 - April 24th, 2012, 2:19 pm
    The drinks were excellent as everyone else described, and there is nothing I can say further to do them more justice. However, I do want to compliment the staff. It is rare that you feel service workers are truly excited and grateful to serve their clients, but my party felt that way across the board at Scofflaw. The bartenders and servers could not have been more helpful, gracious or sincere. This place is a star, and destined to be a regular in our rotation.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but maybe no one on the board has been at midnight. Every evening at 12:00, the staff brings out fresh from the oven, homemade chocolate chip cookies, gratis. :shock: awesome.
  • Post #51 - April 30th, 2012, 10:55 pm
    Post #51 - April 30th, 2012, 10:55 pm Post #51 - April 30th, 2012, 10:55 pm
    Reconnaissance from a few more recent, wholly enjoyable trips to Scofflaw . . .

Scofflaw - 3201 W Armitage

Scofflaw - 3201 W Armitage

Orange Liqueurs

Danny mixes up couple of experimental sidecars using the different orange liqueurs

Sidecars
    I preferred the one made with Combier.

Very Old Barton, Marie Brizard apry, Ramazzotti, Peychaud's, Angostura, expressed orange and lemon oils

Martini

Greenpoint | Rittenhouse 100, Punt e Mes, yellow chartreuse

Cocktail :wink:
    This one went by to another customer . . . might have been a piña colada variation but I'm not sure.

Mai Tai

Volcanic Snowcap | Eldorado 5, Gosslings, St. James amber, passion fruit, orgeat, lemon, Angostura, coconut cream, mint

Fallen Goat Cheese Souffle | beets, mizuna, blood orange crostini

Fries | pimenton aioli

Recipe
    Before we left, we coaxed Danny into recording the recipe for the Volcanic Snowcap and signing it for us. :lol:

Arrigo Park (variation) | Altos blanco tequila, Carpano Antica Formula, Cynar, cucumber slice
    I really enjoyed Danny's take on this Paul McGee signature cocktail. In this version, he subbed tequila for Rittenhouse 100.

Danny and Andy

Gosslings, Marie Brizard apry, lime, house pimento dram, Angostura

Daiquiri variation with Bittercube Jamaican Bitters #2

Old Fashioned

Scofflaw's just a great spot with terrific drinks, tasty food and an incredibly friendly and comfortable vibe.

=R=
  • Post #52 - May 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am
    Post #52 - May 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am Post #52 - May 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am
    I assume that the Green Point is actually Greenpoint, referring to a neighborhood in Brooklyn, and a Brooklyn cocktail variation.
  • Post #53 - May 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am
    Post #53 - May 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am Post #53 - May 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am
    kathryn wrote:I assume that the Green Point is actually Greenpoint, referring to a neighborhood in Brooklyn, and a Brooklyn cocktail variation.

Indeed it is.

=R=
  • Post #54 - May 5th, 2012, 10:38 am
    Post #54 - May 5th, 2012, 10:38 am Post #54 - May 5th, 2012, 10:38 am
    First trip to Scofflaw and won't be the last. I really loved everything about it. My group of three tried every cocktail on the menu except the martini, as well as a couple of dealer's choice--there wasn't one that I wouldn't order again. These are thoughtfully prepared drinks--balanced and beautiful--for a ridiculously reasonable price ($8 for all). We only tried two dishes--the fries with pimenton aoli and a lovely mizuna salad with egg over a round of toasted brioche--and both were delicious. I can't wait to go back and try more of the menu. Most importantly, it feels like everyone is genuinely interested in showing you a good time--something I don't get at most of the cocktail joints that get the press around town. We all commented on it. Danny and his crew seem to be really enjoying themselves and well they should. It's good for business :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #55 - May 8th, 2012, 7:40 am
    Post #55 - May 8th, 2012, 7:40 am Post #55 - May 8th, 2012, 7:40 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:Most importantly, it feels like everyone is genuinely interested in showing you a good time--something I don't get at most of the cocktail joints that get the press around town. We all commented on it. Danny and his crew seem to be really enjoying themselves and well they should. It's good for business :D

As I stated above, that was the number one thing our group took away was how sincerely excited and kind the staff was. Provides an extremely welcoming experience.
  • Post #56 - July 11th, 2012, 10:06 am
    Post #56 - July 11th, 2012, 10:06 am Post #56 - July 11th, 2012, 10:06 am
    Julia Kramer's got a great piece in this week's TOC about her experience as a bar back at Scofflaw . . .

at TOC, Julia Kramer wrote:The first problem was I had no idea what a bar back actually did. After my first 12 hours working at Scofflaw (I ended up working six shifts), I can tell you: It’s someone who does every single thing behind the bar except make cocktails. The schedule at Scofflaw is typical: From 3–5pm the bar back sets up the bar, restocking liquor bottles, bottling syrups and—primarily—juicing lemons and limes. From 1:30–2:30am (an hour later on Saturdays), the bar back breaks down the bar, cleaning the last of the dishes and wiping down every surface. In between, it goes something like this:

It is my job to greet bar patrons and hand them a menu, immediately pour them a glass of water and ensure the glass remains full for the duration of their stay, lest I enjoy Shapiro’s good-natured-slash-bitterly-hateful chiding. It is my job to take drink orders from those guests. Meanwhile, the servers place drink tickets from tables at the far end of the bar, and it is my job to grab those orders. If the order is for a beer, wine, shot, straight spirit or simple mixed drink, it is my job to make it. Here, even a gin and tonic is precise: a 1.5-ounce jigger of gin and four Kold-Draft ice cubes, topped off with Fentimans tonic water, a lime on the rim and a straw.

There are tears in your cocktail

=R=
  • Post #57 - July 11th, 2012, 11:16 am
    Post #57 - July 11th, 2012, 11:16 am Post #57 - July 11th, 2012, 11:16 am
    Great article. Reminds me of when I was a bar back in the early 2000s.

I remember the greatest thing the bar ever bought was a dishwasher for the glasses. This was a steakhouse so all the glasses were standard and could fit in there, but being able to load it up and press one button, thus freeing you up to do the myriad number of other tasks, was invaluable.
  • Post #58 - October 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm
    Post #58 - October 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm Post #58 - October 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm
    My friend Danny Shapiro and the Scofflaw team will be hosting another Fan Fiction charity event next week at Scofflaw. On Tuesday 10/23, they'll be serving a special, 1-night-only American All Stars menu that will include drinks from some top bartenders/bars across country like Jeffrey Morgenthaler of Clyde Common in Portland, Jamie Boudreau of Canon in Seattle and Karin Stanley of Dutch Kills in NYC, to name just a few. Each bar will designate a charity for the evening and 25% of the evening's bar sales will be donated to those charities. Being a favorite of mine, I never need an excuse to hang out at Scofflaw but if one does, this seems like a great one.

=R=
  • Post #59 - December 28th, 2012, 12:13 am
    Post #59 - December 28th, 2012, 12:13 am Post #59 - December 28th, 2012, 12:13 am
    PIGMON wrote:Chef Mickey Neely at Scofflaw has constructed what I would call a near perfect green chicken variant of carne en su jugo. His base broth is no half-hearted effort having a sensational silky chicken lusciousness to it and is also enhanced with just the right amount of tomatillo. He, thankfully, also takes time to ultra-crisp ideally sized bacon shards. The soup is topped with pieces of high-grade grilled chicken and is not disbursed throughout the soup. By doing this, he's clearly displaying his confidence in the base broth, unlike most traditional chopped beef versions which often times have lost their textural integrity. And, not surprisingly, Mickey gracefully lets his patrons add their own ratio of garnishes (radish, avocado, onion, and cilantro). I think he accidently overlooked the chile de arbol but I'm betting by the next time I have another bowl (next week), it'll be included.
    My only complaint is that the ratio of bean-to-broth doesn't do justice to his stellar soup. More broth, less bean, I say!

I'm not sure how long Scofflaw's planning on having this on their present menu. But if you like CESJ, this one is special and worth seeking out...even if you're a teetotaler.

This was quite fantastic. Came in tonight mainly to have this soup and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't have much experience with CESJ but this jumped right towards the top of my list. The rest of the stuff we had was also great. Had the majority of the new winter cocktail menu and there wasn't anything I wouldn't order again (even without Danny behind the bar tonight). I would say my favorite was probably the hot buttered rum; an amazing cocktail to keep you warm on these snowy winter nights that delivers on all parts of its name (hot, butter, rum) with some great spice to it. Fries were as good as ever as was the guapichosa, which I hadn't had in quite a long time. Scofflaw continues to be my favorite neighborhood bar (even if that neighborhood is about 40 minutes away).
  • Post #60 - January 5th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    Post #60 - January 5th, 2013, 8:27 pm Post #60 - January 5th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    I was in with some friends the same night as fropones (if you were sitting next to us, I'm sorry). The CESJ was amazing, I'll be back for that. What I could not understand was why the place wasn't packed for Sunday Chicken Dinner. 4 people, 4 FANTASTIC courses for $60. Our second course alone included fried chicken, biscuits and honey and grilled asparagus. That was the course /before/ the main course. Ridiculous. There can't be a better deal in Chicago.

http://scofflawchicago.blogspot.com/201 ... inner.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more