LTH Home

Why doesn't Schoops have a cult-like following?

Why doesn't Schoops have a cult-like following?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 14th, 2020, 11:35 am
    Post #61 - January 14th, 2020, 11:35 am Post #61 - January 14th, 2020, 11:35 am
    AlexG wrote:Was thinking about stopping at the Monee location off I-57 on my way back from dropping off at U of I this Sunday. Any intel on how this location stacks up? Also, what is the ideal order: the Mickey, a double, with bacon?

Having just completed 4 years of shuttling back and forth, I'd say this location is just okay. Better than nothing but not better than several of their other locations. Typically, the patties seem a bit thick here and they often lack the signature crispy edges.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - January 14th, 2020, 11:44 am
    Post #62 - January 14th, 2020, 11:44 am Post #62 - January 14th, 2020, 11:44 am
    AlexG wrote:Was thinking about stopping at the Monee location off I-57 on my way back from dropping off at U of I this Sunday. Any intel on how this location stacks up? Also, what is the ideal order: the Mickey, a double, with bacon?

Unfortunately they're closed Sunday but if this isn't your last drive up and down I-57 you should make a mental note of Just Hamburgers in Paxton. As seen in this thread featuring the burgers of Central Illinois. I'm not sure you can get better than their double bacon with cheese, and it's like $3 at that.
  • Post #63 - January 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm
    Post #63 - January 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm Post #63 - January 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm
    Thanks for the intel and the rec. Bummer to hear that this isn't an ideal Schoops. I'll have to see if the timing works.

I have Just Hamburgers bookmarked and will hit it up for sure on my next non-Sunday drive to UIUC. Looks amazing.
  • Post #64 - January 16th, 2020, 5:56 pm
    Post #64 - January 16th, 2020, 5:56 pm Post #64 - January 16th, 2020, 5:56 pm
    I thought I saw this posted. In the NWI thread...

Bringing it over here.

Artie wrote:Whiting Schoop's serving up its last burger
    The 1950s-style burger chain Schoop's is one of Northwest Indiana's best known restaurant brands and it's won heaps of acclaim over the years, including being named the best fast food in Indiana by Food and Wine magazine and one of the best burgers in greater Chicagoland, according to the Chicago Tribune.

But after 32 years, the Whiting Schoop's at 1449 Indianapolis Boulevard served its last burger Thursday.

Owners Tom Markovich, a retired Hammond firefighter, and Mary Beth Markovich are retiring and looking to spend more time in Florida. They will continue to remain part owners of the St. John Schoop's, where another couple actively manages the restaurant.

"Today's the last day," Mary Beth Markovich said Thursday. "It's been bittersweet. Many regulars came in for one last burger. They're all great people."
    (snip)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #65 - July 14th, 2020, 6:12 pm
    Post #65 - July 14th, 2020, 6:12 pm Post #65 - July 14th, 2020, 6:12 pm
    Northwest Indiana-style burger, Schoop's featured on Food Network show
    The Northwest Indiana-style smashed burger was featured on a popular, long-running Food Network show over the weekend.

Co-host Jeff Mauro, a Chicagoan who won the seventh season of "Food Network Star" and also hosts the show "Sandwich King," made a Region-style burger that's griddled to where the edges are crispy on an episode of "The Kitchen" that aired over the weekend. He gave a shout-out to the Schoop's Hamburger chain, one of the best known purveyors of the Northwest Indiana-style smashed burger, during the summer cuisine-themed episode titled "Sun's Out, Buns Out."

Maura described his version of the local favorite as a "crispy-edge beauty."

"Quite possibly the best burger I ever made," he posted on social media. "My Northwest-Indiana Style Smashed Burger, Inspired by one of my favs @schoopshamburgersmc."

He also shared his personal Northwest Indiana-style smashed burger recipe, which calls for 70/30 chuck, American cheese, brioche buns, beefsteak tomato, iceberg lettuce, gherkins, granulated garlic, butter and Dijon mustard, among other ingredients.

• Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 8:11 am
    Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 8:11 am Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 8:11 am
    Schoop's Hamburgers named among best regional fast food by USA Today, competing for top spot

Schoop's Hamburgers — the iconic 1950s-style burger chain that specializes in beefy crispy-edged Northwest Indiana-style burgers — has been named among the restaurants serving the best regional fast food by USA Today.

Schoop's is now competing to be crowned best regional fast food in the USA Today 10Best Reader's Choice 2021 contest.

It's based on popular vote and Schoop's is currently third of 19 finalists, behind only Pal's Sudden Service and Sheetz.

Schoop's stands among some illustrious company in the USA Today 10Best Reader's Choice 2021 contest. Other finalists include cult favorites In-N-Out Burger, Whataburger, Culver's, Bojangle's Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits, Krystal, Runza and Skyline Chili.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more