LTH Home

Ice Cream List

Ice Cream List
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 9
  • Post #121 - May 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    Post #121 - May 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm Post #121 - May 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:What's the name of the little Italian place just off of Clark on Wrightwood. They sell pre-made containers of pertty good gelato. I always feel like I've stepped into a private club when I enter the place.

So does anyone know the name of this place? We stopped by once last year and thought the same thing. The gelato was incredible.
  • Post #122 - May 15th, 2006, 4:06 pm
    Post #122 - May 15th, 2006, 4:06 pm Post #122 - May 15th, 2006, 4:06 pm
    Tippenze wrote:
    YourPalWill wrote:What's the name of the little Italian place just off of Clark on Wrightwood. They sell pre-made containers of pertty good gelato. I always feel like I've stepped into a private club when I enter the place.

So does anyone know the name of this place? We stopped by once last year and thought the same thing. The gelato was incredible.

I can't remember its name off the top of my head, but I've bought gelato there a few times, and found that it can be hit or miss. The owner though it quite proud of the fact that his gelato and equipment is from Florence, and if you show some interest will happily tell you about it.

YourPalWill, you say that it feels like a private club...it's a very strange place. Although I haven't been in there for a year or so, unless it's changed, the hours are very limited (something like 5-9 p.m.). It could hardly hold more than a half-dozen patrons, but most of time it's empty. So it's hard to figure out how it stays in business. But although it's an odd little place, but when their gelato's good, it's a hidden treasure. (I've never tried their pasta or coffee.)
  • Post #123 - May 15th, 2006, 4:25 pm
    Post #123 - May 15th, 2006, 4:25 pm Post #123 - May 15th, 2006, 4:25 pm
    I think you are referring to:

Trattoria Monterotondo
    612 W. Wrightwood

I found this thread from Chowhound that talks about it being for members-only.

http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards ... 23632.html
  • Post #124 - May 15th, 2006, 9:14 pm
    Post #124 - May 15th, 2006, 9:14 pm Post #124 - May 15th, 2006, 9:14 pm
    I completely concur with the stangeness of the Italian business on Wrightwood off Clark. I live a few blocks away. Last summer, hubby and I finally tried the gelato. The particular one we had that time was a miss. I've had better gelato, and it was pricey. As people come across hits on the gelato, can you please post on them here, and I'll try it again.

The guy isn't terribly friendly, but he did warm up.
  • Post #125 - May 16th, 2006, 10:20 am
    Post #125 - May 16th, 2006, 10:20 am Post #125 - May 16th, 2006, 10:20 am
    Thanks for the link to the chowhound thread on the topic. While I'd never describe the guy as smug (which several on CH do), the first time I went in there, he definitely acted the oddest. (After that I didn't push it, and he's always been very, very friendly, but I'm also young and female, which might help.) For example, the first time I was there, one of his coolers had gelato displayed like you'd see it in a gelateria in Italy, but he wouldn't sell it to me it by the scoop. (I've never seen him displaying it that way since then.)

At least once I've noticed that he was selling a $20 cup of coffee. (I don't know if they still offer that.) Assuming they have no liquor license, and it's not made with the coffee bean that's digested by goats, I'd have a hard time imagining a $20 cup of coffee.

The CH thread also said he had catered local police functions. I assume it was off-site, since they couldn't have a very large party (or even a very small one) in the store.

For nothing more than curiousity sake, check it out on a warm summer night...you may leave with a pint of great gelato. And it seems as if we should try some of the pasta...that could be the gem we've all overlooked.
  • Post #126 - May 16th, 2006, 5:46 pm
    Post #126 - May 16th, 2006, 5:46 pm Post #126 - May 16th, 2006, 5:46 pm
    While looking something up on Google, I stumbled across this directory of ice cream parlors in the city.
  • Post #127 - May 19th, 2006, 8:04 am
    Post #127 - May 19th, 2006, 8:04 am Post #127 - May 19th, 2006, 8:04 am
    Adam Stephanides wrote:The Evanston Creamery is gone. So is the Evanston location of the Marble Slab Creamery (I don't know about the one in Skokie). It's too bad, as they were both pretty good.

Not to worry Adam. In a victory for local coffee and gelato, the Italian Coffee Bar is set to open a second Evanston location at the site of the old Marble Slab Creamery. Chris Casas, the owner, indicated that he would have 24 flavors of gelato at the new location, as well as panini, pastries and, of course, coffee. (Full disclosure: Chris is a pal of mine). I think this will be a nice addition to the pre and post-movie options, as the new place is located steps from the mega theater. There are not enough quick options in the immediate area if one is rushing to make a film. (Also, the original location has been out of the gelato business this winter due to difficulties with the freezer case.) The new location is set to open at the end of June.

The Italian Coffee Bar
    1549 Sherman Ave.
    Evanston
    (original location)

940 Church Street
    Evanston
    (opening in late June)
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #128 - May 19th, 2006, 10:53 am
    Post #128 - May 19th, 2006, 10:53 am Post #128 - May 19th, 2006, 10:53 am
    That's great to hear, Josephine; I was thinking he was moving the whole operation to Church Street when I saw the window sign. Is he going to bring back gelato to Sherman as well -- that empty case is a forlorn sight.
    >>Brent
    "Yankee bean soup, cole slaw and tuna surprise."
  • Post #129 - May 19th, 2006, 5:22 pm
    Post #129 - May 19th, 2006, 5:22 pm Post #129 - May 19th, 2006, 5:22 pm
    brotine- I'll ask Chris and get back to you.
  • Post #130 - May 29th, 2006, 12:07 am
    Post #130 - May 29th, 2006, 12:07 am Post #130 - May 29th, 2006, 12:07 am
    I recently stumbled across a reference to Colonial Cafe and Ice Cream, with seven locations in the western suburbs. According to their web site, their ice cream has been around since the early 1900s, and they've had restaurants since the late 1950s. I was astonished that a chain so large and old hasn't been mentioned here before (or if it has, I couldn't find it). Have they somehow escaped LTH radar or are they unworthy of mention?*

I note that kids eat free on Mondays, they serve breakfast all day and they apparently offer a massive sundae called the "Kitchen Sink" that comes in a sink-shaped serving container.

http://www.colonialcafe.com

*I comprehend that according certain LTHers' Theory of Due Diligence I should have hauled myself out there and formulated a lengthy analysis of variations between all seven locations before disturbing the Collective Wisdom here, but I'm too LAZy.
  • Post #131 - May 29th, 2006, 7:36 am
    Post #131 - May 29th, 2006, 7:36 am Post #131 - May 29th, 2006, 7:36 am
    HI,

This is indeed a great ice cream parlor find. IF you can provide proof its your birthday, then you can get a free 2-scoop tulip sundae. Fun!

While you may not have personally been to Colonial, it is indeed a service to alert us it exists.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #132 - May 31st, 2006, 4:07 pm
    Post #132 - May 31st, 2006, 4:07 pm Post #132 - May 31st, 2006, 4:07 pm
    I had a couple of gelato flavors that were new to me recently at Cafe Descartes on Lincoln Ave. just south of Lawrence. One was a lemon ice with lemon cream mixed in. The other was a creamy watermelon gelato. I can't say it tasted like watermelon to me -- the creaminess was perhaps just too much of a disconnect -- but I did enjoy it.

Cafe Descartes
    4771 N. Lincoln Ave.
    (773) 561-6525
  • Post #133 - May 31st, 2006, 4:22 pm
    Post #133 - May 31st, 2006, 4:22 pm Post #133 - May 31st, 2006, 4:22 pm
    I recently stumbled across a reference to Colonial Cafe and Ice Cream, with seven locations in the western suburbs. According to their web site, their ice cream has been around since the early 1900s, and they've had restaurants since the late 1950s. I was astonished that a chain so large and old hasn't been mentioned here before (or if it has, I couldn't find it). Have they somehow escaped LTH radar or are they unworthy of mention?

Colonial had somewhere between a couple and a dozen stores in Wichita when I was growing up, and the basement party room at Prairie Village was our standard birthday party place when I was small. They closed up around 1970 in that part of the world, though, so I don't actually have any flavor memories (the only specific ice cream I remember from then is Baskin Robbins' Applejack Ice, a slightly tart, cherry-red apple ice which was my favorite flavor as a child, go figure). If I had stronger memories I'd race there and have a Proustian rush, but I really don't.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #134 - May 31st, 2006, 4:26 pm
    Post #134 - May 31st, 2006, 4:26 pm Post #134 - May 31st, 2006, 4:26 pm
    Josephine wrote:I had a couple of gelato flavors that were new to me

Josephine,

I picked up a pint of Capogiro blood orange sorbetto at Bouffe yesterday, amazing intensity of flavor, expensive, but delicious.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Bouffe
    2312 W Leland Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
    773-784-2314
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #135 - May 31st, 2006, 10:42 pm
    Post #135 - May 31st, 2006, 10:42 pm Post #135 - May 31st, 2006, 10:42 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I picked up a pint of Capogiro blood orange sorbetto at Bouffe yesterday, amazing intensity of flavor, expensive, but delicious.

Say no more. . .
  • Post #136 - June 3rd, 2006, 12:16 am
    Post #136 - June 3rd, 2006, 12:16 am Post #136 - June 3rd, 2006, 12:16 am
    Mike G wrote:Colonial had somewhere between a couple and a dozen stores in Wichita when I was growing up, and the basement party room at Prairie Village was our standard birthday party place when I was small. They closed up around 1970 in that part of the world

Mike, Are you sure it's the same Colonial? There's nothing on their web site to indicate that they've ever been more than a local company.

Colonial Cafe wrote:In the 1930's Simon was joined by his three sons, Paul, Warren and Joe K. Together they opened several ice cream and dairy stores throughout the western suburbs, as far east as Elmhurst, north to Elgin and Dundee, south to Aurora, as well as St. Charles and Geneva. Most of these stores were operated until World War II, when Colonial concentrated only on the dairy and ice cream production.

Again, Colonial went into the retail business in 1958. This time food was added to the menu with our delicious ice cream. These ice cream food shops have expanded through the years, growing into full service restaurants. Each restaurant has its own unique personality, reflecting our desire for a relaxing and pleasurable atmosphere tailored to each community.

Today, Colonial ice cream is also available in supermarkets, drugstores, and restaurants throughout the western suburbs of Chicago.
  • Post #137 - June 3rd, 2006, 6:35 am
    Post #137 - June 3rd, 2006, 6:35 am Post #137 - June 3rd, 2006, 6:35 am
    Who knows. Someone said "chain," I assumed so.

There was a lot of quasi-franchising back in those days, someone could have paid $500 for the name and a little training, or a distant member of the family could have gone off and started it-- or it could have just been a parallel use of the name back in a day when Yankee and Ye Olde New Englande-type names were common (I think there was a Royal Cleaners right by Colonial Ice Cream).
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #138 - June 4th, 2006, 10:35 pm
    Post #138 - June 4th, 2006, 10:35 pm Post #138 - June 4th, 2006, 10:35 pm
    In this other thread, there was some mention of Istria Cafe, including the gelato.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ght=istria

I stumbled across the place while walking around the 57th Street Art Fair today. I couldn't help, but pop in. The staff was very friendly. I was interested in the gelato. The staff explained that it's all made in-house, and even pointed out the gelato making guy, who was also behind the counter. They insisted that we try their orange flavor (can't remember the particular name), and it was delicious. A great, tangy orange.

We didn't order anything from the cafe today, but we plan to make a trip just for the gelato. We were told that the flavors change frequently.
  • Post #139 - June 20th, 2006, 4:14 pm
    Post #139 - June 20th, 2006, 4:14 pm Post #139 - June 20th, 2006, 4:14 pm
    Has anyone finalized the 2006 ice cream spots list?

We love ice cream and this past week, while in Lawrence, Kansas at KU we found a wonderful ice cream place called Sylas and Maddies. It's all homemade in the back as were the waffle cones/cups.

I had the cherry/chocolate sliver and it was PERFECTO as was the waffle cone.
  • Post #140 - June 24th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Post #140 - June 24th, 2006, 8:57 pm Post #140 - June 24th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Went to Petersen's in Oak Park for the first time today. I reminded me a bit of the original Margie's, since they've both been around a while, sell ice cream, other food, and make candy in-house.

The Petersen's sundae seemed a bit pricey, and the fudge was a bit lumpy. At least in the hot fudge area, I think Margie's is better with the perfect smoothness. If my memory serves me right, Margie's is less expensive.
  • Post #141 - June 25th, 2006, 4:27 pm
    Post #141 - June 25th, 2006, 4:27 pm Post #141 - June 25th, 2006, 4:27 pm
    kithat wrote:Went to Petersen's in Oak Park for the first time today. I reminded me a bit of the original Margie's, since they've both been around a while, sell ice cream, other food, and make candy in-house.

The Petersen's sundae seemed a bit pricey, and the fudge was a bit lumpy. At least in the hot fudge area, I think Margie's is better with the perfect smoothness. If my memory serves me right, Margie's is less expensive.

kithat, I'd agree that it makes sense to think of Petersen's and Margie's as representing the same style of ice cream parlor. It seems like an apples/apples comparison to me. While I like both, I'd give the edge to Petersen's hot fudge sundae due to the quality of their whipped cream and the lightly roasted salted whole pecans, as well as the choice of other nut options for those who prefer something different. Also, the vanilla ice cream itself seemed to lean toward French vanilla, which I like a great deal with hot fudge.

I noticed recently that A Taste of Heaven on Clark advertises Petersen's Ice Cream in its window. I don't know if they do the fountain thing, though. If this summer lasts long enough, I hope to find out.

In other news, Homer's ice cream can be purchased by the pint at Pita Pete's in downtown Evanston. Pita Pete's is located in the former location of That Little Mexican Cafe (next to Trattoria Demi) at 1571 Sherman.
  • Post #142 - June 25th, 2006, 4:53 pm
    Post #142 - June 25th, 2006, 4:53 pm Post #142 - June 25th, 2006, 4:53 pm
    A question I have been meaning to ask here is whether anyone has found Turkish ice cream in Chicago. It is made with a powder of wild orchids and has a stretchy consistency. On the streets in Turkey, you see ice cream machines swirling and stretching strands of it around a sort of drum. When it is scooped out, it is creamy rather than taffy-like. Very interesting flower flavors, as I recall, but it's been many years.

I also find myself wondering if the secret ingredient my neighbor was given by the gelateria he frequents in the summer in Alassio, Italy, was the orchid powder or some other ingredient. He seems to think it is carob powder-- but the owner will not tell him what it is. Does carob powder have a neutral taste and enhance viscosity? Is there any basis for thinking that Turkish ice cream methods travelled to Italy? If my neighbor were Dutch, I would have something to go on, perhaps.
  • Post #143 - June 26th, 2006, 10:09 am
    Post #143 - June 26th, 2006, 10:09 am Post #143 - June 26th, 2006, 10:09 am
    Just a quick FYI: JB's Deli is now carrying Angelo's ice cream & gelato.
  • Post #144 - July 15th, 2006, 10:52 am
    Post #144 - July 15th, 2006, 10:52 am Post #144 - July 15th, 2006, 10:52 am
    just wanted to put in a reminder that Senor Bruno is still vending his great coconut helados out in front of the gap building in Logan Sq. I'm in the area about once a week these days and always make sure to grab one

here's a little more about these helados
  • Post #145 - July 31st, 2006, 3:53 pm
    Post #145 - July 31st, 2006, 3:53 pm Post #145 - July 31st, 2006, 3:53 pm
    Een wrote:I think you are referring to:

Trattoria Monterotondo
    612 W. Wrightwood

I found this thread from Chowhound that talks about it being for members-only.

http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards ... 23632.html
    Walking past Monterotondo today, I found the windows without their usual curtains, the front void of furniture, and a For Lease sign in the window.
  • Post #146 - August 4th, 2006, 9:09 am
    Post #146 - August 4th, 2006, 9:09 am Post #146 - August 4th, 2006, 9:09 am
    Out here in the 'burbs, we have a place on Lake Street in Addison called Uncle Harry's. They have some neat flavors like Blue Moon and an addictive one called Caramel Cashew (my personal favorite). It is a neat little place and they also have Green River soda there. The ice cream is from Uncle Harry's of Wisconsin, I guess...don't think that there is another one of these around, though.
  • Post #147 - August 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm
    Post #147 - August 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm Post #147 - August 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm
    We just released an episode of our podcast where we talked about some of our favorites, most of which have been mentioned here: Plush Horse, Oberweis, and Capannari's in Mt. Prospect.

Mmmm. :-)

The one place I wish was still around is Loree's on Foster Avenue. I used to drive from Algonquin just to have a North Park Special.
    Cheap Date Show: Real people. Real restaurant. Real date.
  • Post #148 - August 5th, 2006, 2:07 pm
    Post #148 - August 5th, 2006, 2:07 pm Post #148 - August 5th, 2006, 2:07 pm
    Glenview Dairy Bar sounds interesting. (Do you always run such long gags like that first table thing?)
  • Post #149 - August 5th, 2006, 3:28 pm
    Post #149 - August 5th, 2006, 3:28 pm Post #149 - August 5th, 2006, 3:28 pm
    Glenview Dairy Bar is a great alternative to Dairy Queen. A real neighborhood treat.

And no, the intro gag was for this show only-- usually it's only a couple seconds long. :-)
    Cheap Date Show: Real people. Real restaurant. Real date.
  • Post #150 - August 6th, 2006, 7:04 am
    Post #150 - August 6th, 2006, 7:04 am Post #150 - August 6th, 2006, 7:04 am
    caribiner23 wrote:Glenview Dairy Bar is a great alternative to Dairy Queen. A real neighborhood treat.

And no, the intro gag was for this show only-- usually it's only a couple seconds long. :-)

OK, that's a relief, because I was screaming at my monitor. :lol:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more