LTH Home

What's Good and Cheap in Arlington Heights or nearby?

What's Good and Cheap in Arlington Heights or nearby?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • What's Good and Cheap in Arlington Heights or nearby?

Post #1 - October 21st, 2012, 10:54 am
    Post #1 - October 21st, 2012, 10:54 am Post #1 - October 21st, 2012, 10:54 am
    My husband and I have spent the last several months in overloaded aging parent and family member hell and we will be finally getting a nice weekend away in nearby Arlington Heights (Ok, so we can't afford much good stuff in life but it is something nice and affordable) next weekend. Last time we did this last year, we ate at a few places (Totortice's (Sp?) and others that I don't recall so they must not have been too memorable. I am looking for mostly breakfast or lunch spots because dinner may be covered by some gift cards we have had for a while and need to finally use. I already have Paradise Pup on my list and a couple of other recommendations wouldn't hurt for consideration. Any good Chinese or Thai spots in that area?
  • Post #2 - October 21st, 2012, 11:24 am
    Post #2 - October 21st, 2012, 11:24 am Post #2 - October 21st, 2012, 11:24 am
    http://www.penangarlington.com/
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/schaumburg/restaurant - No joke. Good eats.
    http://www.mrallisonsrestaurant.com/
    http://eggharborcafe.com/news/arlington-heights/
    http://ellyspancakehouse.com/arlington-height/
    http://katieskitchenonline.com/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - October 21st, 2012, 11:42 am
    Post #3 - October 21st, 2012, 11:42 am Post #3 - October 21st, 2012, 11:42 am
    If paradise pup is on your list, think about trying las asadas if you are into steak tacos.
    Also, there's a little mid eastern joint in a strip mall next to a sushi para on dundee road in palatine. I went to try sushi para on a coworker's rec, but the place was jam packed at 2pm on a saturday, so we went to the middle eastern joint instead, and were really pleased. Best baba ghanouj I've had in a long time, and everything else was good to pretty good. It was definitely cheap and good. Searching says the name is prolly Pita Pita. I wouldn't hesitate to try it again. You also might wanna look into the food court at Mitsuwa market, then there's the other, smaller japanese mkt about a mile south of Mitsuwa that has a sushi bar.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #4 - October 21st, 2012, 11:44 am
    Post #4 - October 21st, 2012, 11:44 am Post #4 - October 21st, 2012, 11:44 am
    Johnnie's Beef has a location on Arlington Heights Rd. slightly north of 90.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - October 21st, 2012, 12:17 pm
    Post #5 - October 21st, 2012, 12:17 pm Post #5 - October 21st, 2012, 12:17 pm
    stevez wrote:Johnnie's Beef has a location on Arlington Heights Rd. slightly north of 90.

Good call.
    Mitsuwa is also right there.
  • Post #6 - October 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm
    Post #6 - October 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm Post #6 - October 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm
    KajmacJohnson wrote:I am looking for mostly breakfast or lunch spots

Breakfast: Walker Brothers
    Lunch: Salsa 17

KajmacJohnson wrote:Any good Chinese or Thai spots in that area?

Thai: altThai
  • Post #7 - October 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm
    Post #7 - October 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm Post #7 - October 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm
    Thanks for the suggestions. I knew the crowd at LTH would come through. This helps a lot to avoid the meh and go for something gold. I did not even know Walker Brothers had an Arlington Heights location. I like the Wilmette one so i will be checking it out if Katie's Corner (which looks and sounds amazing!) doesn't woo me to pieces. I had actually forgotten that we will be staying right around the corner from Mitsuwa. I didn't get to explore it last time, so I am definitely game for doing so this time.
  • Post #8 - October 21st, 2012, 2:43 pm
    Post #8 - October 21st, 2012, 2:43 pm Post #8 - October 21st, 2012, 2:43 pm
    I have eaten at Chowpatty quite a while ago but I recall its good for a lunch. Note their hours if you decide to go.

http://www.tpsiclients.com/chowpatti/
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #9 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm
    Post #9 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm Post #9 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm
    Asian Bistro is in town, too.
    LTH thread

65 W. Golf Rd.
    Arlington Heights, IL 60005
    ph: 847-439-5888
    fax: 847-439-5858

http://www.asianbistro.biz/
  • Post #10 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm
    Post #10 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm Post #10 - October 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm
    The Thai options in the area never managed to elevate beyond "slightly above average suburban Thai" in any of my visits, and that includes at least half a dozen lunches or dinners at altThai when I worked about 2 miles away.

Good Chinese is doable though: Asian Bistro. Don't skip the wontons.

I've heard good things about Chef Ping, but never made it there myself before switching to a job in Rosemont.

If Malaysian food interests you, the Arlington Heights Penang is still open, and has always been a favorite of mine in that area. The roti canai, beef rendang and peanut pancake were always good options.
  • Post #11 - October 21st, 2012, 5:00 pm
    Post #11 - October 21st, 2012, 5:00 pm Post #11 - October 21st, 2012, 5:00 pm
    Down the street from Arlington Heights, on NW Hwy, is L & L Snack Shop:

abe_froeman wrote:My favorite breakfast place has become L&L Snack Shop in Des Plaines. I still love Walker Bros. pancakes, but they're so overpriced.

L&L is a little hole-in-the-wall place; I don't know their history, but they've been there for quite awhile, at least 15 years- my boyfriend would frequently go there as a teenager for a cheap breakfast with his friends. We just went last Sunday and for $15, before tip, we got 1 coffee, 1 large apple juice, 1 large milk, a wheatcakes/egg/sausage combo and a French toast/egg/bacon combo. Plus the free ham and extra eggs (more on that later!)

There's several booths and a counter and the people are so friendly. I've only ordered breakfast there (they have sandwiches, salads, soups, etc.) and it seems that no matter what you order, it comes with ham. And this is REAL ham, not from skinny pigs. They brown it a little so it has some nice caramelization going on. Even if you get it with bacon or sausage, they give you a couple pieces of ham. Order ham as the meat, and they just add more.

They're always giving you a little more- combinations that say one egg end up appearing with two. The pancakes are fabulous- they don't have that sour taste that I love at Walker Bros., but they call them "wheatcakes" and I think they're made with wheat flour or something because they're a little heartier than Walker Bros. pancakes. My boyfriend is more of a French toast fan, and from the couple bites I've had of his, it's definitely some of the best French toast I've ever had.

It really is like eating breakfast at Grandma's house. It's an older couple who seem to own it, with the husband at the grill and the wife behind the counter with a younger woman working the tables and counter.

I don't know what time they open, but they close at 2 pm on Sundays- that's the day we always go.

L & L Snack Shop
    (847) 803-6767
    456 E Northwest Hwy
    Des Plaines, IL

Edited on 3/13/09 to add: Funny story- I went there a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend and my mom. The older lady asked my mom if she'd been there before, and my mom said, "yes, a couple of times with them" [pointing at us]. Then the lady said, referring to my boyfriend, "oh yes, and you've been coming here for a long time! You used to come in here with your friends, those troublemakers!" We laughed- his friends in jr. high/high school were sort of troublemakers, but he swears they were always on their best behavior in there. Couldn't risk being banned! Just funny that she remembered them after all those years!
  • Post #12 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:48 am
    Post #12 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:48 am Post #12 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:48 am
    I'm not a Thai expert, probably as far from it as possible. But I really like the food at Thai Little Home. Their lunch specials are a great deal. Whether it's good Thai or not, I don't know, but it's good food.

http://thailittlehome.com/

638 E. Golf Road
    ph: 847-806-6221
  • Post #13 - October 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm
    Post #13 - October 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm Post #13 - October 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm
    BrendanR wrote:Asian Bistro is in town, too.
    LTH thread

65 W. Golf Rd.
    ph: 847-439-5888
    fax: 847-439-5858

Yes. Thank you! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #14 - October 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm
    Post #14 - October 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm Post #14 - October 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm
    With the weather turning colder, you may want to try Cho Dang Tofu on Algonquin between Dempster and Busse (across from Jameson's). Their specialty is Soondooboo, which is Korean Tofu Soup. You choose the spice level.

I haven't been to AltThai, but I did not enjoy Thai Little Home (quantity over quality). Diagonally across from Cho Dang Tofu is another Thai place, Little Bangkok, which is pretty good.

Keeping with the Asian theme, you could head to downtown Des Plaines for Vietnamese at Dung Gia.

http://www.chodangtofu.com
    1719 W. Algonquin Rd.
    Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

http://www.littlebangkokthaicuisine.com
    1652 W. Algonquin Rd.
    Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

http://www.dunggiarestaurant.com
    1436 Miner Street
    Des Plaines, IL 60016
  • Post #15 - October 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm
    Post #15 - October 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm Post #15 - October 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm
    Aaaaaaahhhhhh, so much to choose from that I actually wish I don't have gifts cards to use for dinner. Breakfast at Katie's and L&L are definitely going to be on our list. Seriously considering both Little Bangkok and Chod Dong Tofu which seriously sounds like heaven in a soup bowl. Thanks to everyone for all the amazing sounding suggestions. I will report back after my weekend of bliss.
  • Post #16 - October 26th, 2012, 10:14 am
    Post #16 - October 26th, 2012, 10:14 am Post #16 - October 26th, 2012, 10:14 am
    Asian Bistro (Busse and Golf) and Toroshin (Busse and Dempster)- about a mile or 2 apart. Toroshin is one of the most authentic Japanese restaurants around. There was a ham sandwich shop in the same strip mall as Tortirice's-Mr. Ed's?-not sure of the name. He sold ham off the bone sandwiches. Don't know if it is still there but it too is on Busse and Central.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #17 - October 26th, 2012, 5:18 pm
    Post #17 - October 26th, 2012, 5:18 pm Post #17 - October 26th, 2012, 5:18 pm
    Mr A's. or Mr Allisons. to be formal. Is still in the strip mall s/w corner of Busse/Central. Was written up not that long ago for the huge honkin helpings of ham they dole out.
  • Post #18 - October 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm
    Post #18 - October 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm Post #18 - October 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm
    Wing Wah is good Cantonese. Great egg rolls. For Thai, I'm fond of Gumrai.

Wing Wah
    337 E. Rand Road
    Arlington Hts, IL 60004
    (847) 259-8882

Gumrai Thai
    170 N. Arlington Heights Road
    Arlington Heights, IL 60004
    (847) 590-1000
  • Post #19 - October 26th, 2012, 9:20 pm
    Post #19 - October 26th, 2012, 9:20 pm Post #19 - October 26th, 2012, 9:20 pm
    BrendanR wrote:Asian Bistro is in town, too.
    LTH thread

This would probably be one of my top choices - Asian Bistro is very good, among the better Chinese spots in the city (on quite a few dishes, comparable with Lao Sze Chuan). I dont think any Thai spot is among the best around, in the AH/Schaumburg area (the city has far better Thai options).

Also, L&L is very good - been a couple of times (tho a year or so ago), and liked it a fair bit back then.

Ttowa is in Arlington Heights too - highly regarded on LTH, tho Ive never been..
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33136

There are quite a few Indian/Pakistani options, if you have any interest in that. For reasonably good Pakistani/Indian-Muslim style food (of the Sabri Nehari/Hyderabad House type) - a place like BBQ Tonight (1061 West Golf Road, Schaumburg) is a pretty good version. Not maybe quite as good as the Usmaniya's et al on Devon, but pretty good.

My top choice, however, would probably be Sankalp (167 West Golf, Schaumburg). This is Southern Indian regional cuisine, of the Andhra/Tamil Nadu/Kannada style. Predominantly (but not exclusively) vegetarian - excellent versions of dosai, idli's etc, the best in the Chicagoland area (far better than most restaurants of this type anywhere in the city) -and easily the largest variety of these dishes anywhere in the area (they have about a full page worth of idli/dosai varieties alone!)
    It blows away any similar restaurant in the city - the Udipis, the Uru-Swatis etc, that have gotten much love on LTH, the Reader etc.

Sankalp also serves a fair few meat-based dishes, unusually for a South Indian restaurant in Chicago (Andhra style chicken/meat/fish - pepper-frys and the like - which are quite good). *And* they have a liquor-license! Theyre usually a dollar or two per entree higher than the typical Devon restaurant - but very much worth the upcharge (none of the meat-entrees are higher than about 13 bucks anyway, so its not what youd call crazily expensive regardless :-)

(Oh, and I always make sure to hit Johnnie's while in Arlington Heights - varies a little depending on how busy they are, but when theyre busy and "on", the beef/sausage combo is still the best in the city IMHO - its just a little more consistently so at the North Avenue location...)

c8w
  • Post #20 - October 26th, 2012, 9:44 pm
    Post #20 - October 26th, 2012, 9:44 pm Post #20 - October 26th, 2012, 9:44 pm
    c8w wrote:This would probably be one of my top choices - Asian Bistro is very good, among the better Chinese spots in the city (on quite a few dishes, comparable with Lao Sze Chuan).

I strongly agree.

c8w wrote:Ttowa is in Arlington Heights too - highly regarded on LTH, tho Ive never been..
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33136

Agree with this too. Well, I actually started that thread, so of course I agree. But since then, the menu has changed for the better, i.e., more Korean and less fusion. It now features the Dolinsky-recommended bo ssam (excellent indeed) and the mandu are as fantastic as ever.

c8w wrote:My top choice, however, would probably be Sankalp (167 West Golf, Schaumburg).

Excellent, thanks for the rec! Might try it out as soon as tomorrow. How does it compare to the one in Mount Prospect?

I'd also add Santouka Ramen, which I guess has already been alluded to.
  • Post #21 - October 26th, 2012, 10:09 pm
    Post #21 - October 26th, 2012, 10:09 pm Post #21 - October 26th, 2012, 10:09 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    c8w wrote:This would probably be one of my top choices - Asian Bistro is very good, among the better Chinese spots in the city (on quite a few dishes, comparable with Lao Sze Chuan).

I strongly agree.
    c8w wrote:My top choice, however, would probably be Sankalp (167 West Golf, Schaumburg).

Excellent, thanks for the rec! Might try it out as soon as tomorrow. How does it compare to the one in Mount Prospect?

As I noted above - Ive been to Asian Bistro a few times, and think its very good... however, I *had* heard of a Lao Sze Chuan outpost opening in Schaumburg too - has that happened yet, anyone know? (Ive also not tried - but heard very good things about - Chef Ping)

Have never been to the Mount Prospect Sankalp, so cant compare. The Schaumburg Sankalp is very good, though - more than a dozen varieties each of idli and dosai, something no other place in Chicago offers, I dont think. Their milagai podi is actually spicy. Even their malabari parotha and the shrimp dish I tried were good. (They have a special dosa night once a week - must try that one of these days...)

c8w
  • Post #22 - October 26th, 2012, 11:45 pm
    Post #22 - October 26th, 2012, 11:45 pm Post #22 - October 26th, 2012, 11:45 pm
    The proposed LSC site is at the old Smiling Buddha location. I've driven by a few times and haven't seen at activity other than the small sign that says LSC coming soon. But that has been up for a while now.

I ate at Asian Bistro today, and enjoyed the spicy wonton and the dry chili chicken.
  • Post #23 - October 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm
    Post #23 - October 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm Post #23 - October 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm
    c8w wrote:There are quite a few Indian/Pakistani options, if you have any interest in that. For reasonably good Pakistani/Indian-Muslim style food (of the Sabri Nehari/Hyderabad House type) - a place like BBQ Tonight (1061 West Golf Road, Schaumburg) is a pretty good version. Not maybe quite as good as the Usmaniya's et al on Devon, but pretty good.

My top choice, however, would probably be Sankalp (167 West Golf, Schaumburg). This is Southern Indian regional cuisine, of the Andhra/Tamil Nadu/Kannada style. Predominantly (but not exclusively) vegetarian - excellent versions of dosai, idli's etc, the best in the Chicagoland area (far better than most restaurants of this type anywhere in the city) -and easily the largest variety of these dishes anywhere in the area (they have about a full page worth of idli/dosai varieties alone!)
    It blows away any similar restaurant in the city - the Udipis, the Uru-Swatis etc, that have gotten much love on LTH, the Reader etc.

Sankalp also serves a fair few meat-based dishes, unusually for a South Indian restaurant in Chicago (Andhra style chicken/meat/fish - pepper-frys and the like - which are quite good). *And* they have a liquor-license! Theyre usually a dollar or two per entree higher than the typical Devon restaurant - but very much worth the upcharge (none of the meat-entrees are higher than about 13 bucks anyway, so its not what youd call crazily expensive regardless :-)

Excellent suggestions of a couple places that ought to be better known. I ate at BBQ Tonight only once and was quite pleased with the food. Both the karahi gosht and goat biryani (also naan and paratha) were very good, comparable to the better spots on Devon, and an excellent value.

I'd happily return if in the area but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip, given that Devon is so much closer.

I visited Sankalp twice last winter and am longing to go back. As c8w says, the food is generally better than what you find on Devon and they offer many dishes you won't find there at all. Lunch is an especially good deal (the lunch specials may be available only on weekdays though), with a veg or non-veg thali a little under $10 and a three mini-dosa sampler (with idli, vada, rasam, sambar and sweet) slightly above. Here's a photo of some of the sampler with a thali (featuring Chettinad-style chicken and very good puri) in the background.

I thought the dinner pricing was wacky, with some good values but also some absurdly overpriced dishes. Still we had a very good meal. I've been meaning to finish a post on Sankalp.

BBQ Tonight
    1061 W Golf Rd
    Hoffman Estates IL
    847-839-3883

Sankalp
    167 W Golf Rd
    Schaumburg IL
    847-490-4444
    http://www.sankalprestaurants.com/
  • Post #24 - October 28th, 2012, 7:22 am
    Post #24 - October 28th, 2012, 7:22 am Post #24 - October 28th, 2012, 7:22 am
    DrkDragon wrote:The proposed LSC site is at the old Smiling Buddha location. I've driven by a few times and haven't seen at activity other than the small sign that says LSC coming soon. But that has been up for a while now.

I spoke to Tony Hu yesterday and he told me that they are dealing with permit issues and things aren't moving too quickly with the Village of Schaumburg. A lot of stuff has to be retrofitted to bring it up to today's building codes as opposed to those in effect in the 1980's when the original restaurant on that site was built. He didn't sound too optimistic about an opening any time soon saying only that it will definitely open next year.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #25 - October 28th, 2012, 9:29 pm
    Post #25 - October 28th, 2012, 9:29 pm Post #25 - October 28th, 2012, 9:29 pm
    We did hit Sankalp and it was awesome. Now, this was just one meal and we didn't manage to make much of a dent in the huge menu, but I found it far more enjoyable than either Chicagoland Udupi, Mysore Woodlands, or Uru Swati. Can't wait to go back and try some of the other dishes. This place deserves a dedicated thread (if necessary, I'll start one after my next visit).

Dosa Night is Thursday. Also, there is a sign on the door that seems to say that on weekends they are only open for lunch.
  • Post #26 - October 29th, 2012, 1:26 pm
    Post #26 - October 29th, 2012, 1:26 pm Post #26 - October 29th, 2012, 1:26 pm
    On a recent visit to Chicago, meandering our way from ORD we swung into Asian Noodle House in Hoffman Estates on a whim. As mentioned in this thread, ANH has a variety of Malaysian offerings - not all of them are on the menu, but if you ask for your favourite dish there's a good likelihood they're making it. The food was mostly middling, but I have a pretty low threshold for enjoyment of Malaysian food as it is. Having said that, the weekend-only special of bak kut teh was really a fine rendition - the broth had a prominent piggy essence but was very clean, herbal and not greasy in the least. They curiously use multiple noodles in some dishes, three different noodles in their char kway teow and curry laksa (both which were nothing particularly special, but tasty). Pretty sure the roti hit the pan straight outta the freezer, and it was dense, chewy and lacking any hint of flakiness or pliability, but the chicken curry that acccompanied it was surprisingly excellent despite appearances below. I would probably go back to try several other dishes as I'm sure there are some other gems to be had.

roti canai

char kway teow

curry laksa

bak kut teh

Asian Noodle House
    844 N Roselle Rd
    Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
  • Post #27 - October 30th, 2012, 7:31 am
    Post #27 - October 30th, 2012, 7:31 am Post #27 - October 30th, 2012, 7:31 am
    I enjoyed this paragraph from Sankalp's website:

Second to none in South Indian food restaurants, Sankalp Restaurants represent a style and cuisine that is nonpareil. Sankalp was founded in 1981 by the visionary Mr. Kailash Goenka. He opened the company’s first flagship restaurant on Ashram Road, Ahmedabad. The rest is history. Presently, there are more than 90 Sankalp Restaurants in India and across the globe, each promising a great dining experience. An ever increasing innovative menu, food festivals and a wide range of quality products have not only helped build a broad consumer base but also inculcated loyalty among the diners. This is the reason why Sankalp has gained popularity and is very much in demand.

Classy.
  • Post #28 - October 30th, 2012, 7:54 am
    Post #28 - October 30th, 2012, 7:54 am Post #28 - October 30th, 2012, 7:54 am
    tatterdemalion wrote:bak kut teh

Although Nab accurately describes the food at Asian Noodle House as "mostly meddling", I've found myself having a desire to go back there multiple times over the past few years - even with its marginal laksa, so-so noodle dishes, and a-tad-sweet bak kut teh broth. But I think they're offering dishes you don't commonly see around these parts as well as having a decent homey vibe.

ANH obviously has its fans since every time I've eaten there, it's been solidly full.
  • Post #29 - October 31st, 2012, 12:06 am
    Post #29 - October 31st, 2012, 12:06 am Post #29 - October 31st, 2012, 12:06 am
    cilantro wrote:We did hit Sankalp and it was awesome. Now, this was just one meal and we didn't manage to make much of a dent in the huge menu, but I found it far more enjoyable than either Chicagoland Udupi, Mysore Woodlands, or Uru Swati. Can't wait to go back and try some of the other dishes. This place deserves a dedicated thread (if necessary, I'll start one after my next visit).

Dosa Night is Thursday. Also, there is a sign on the door that seems to say that on weekends they are only open for lunch.

Ive been to Sankalp a few times - not as often as I should have, probably - but I have no hesitation at all in saying that it is much much more enjoyable than Udupi, Mysore Woodlands or UruSwati (not that I ever really understood the love for Uru Swati - never been much more than mediocre to me, IMHO.. was there last month and still thought it wasnt much good.. went over to Sukhadia's for a little something extra immediately afterwards, actually).

But anyway - Sankalp seems to me like its playing on a much higher level than any of these places on Devon. Not that its hugely surprising in a sense - the majority of the South-Indian population in Chicagoland (and a burgeoning one it is too) is mostly concentrated around the Schaumburg area anyway, no longer anywhere close to Devon or the city (and most dont actually come down to Devon very often anymore either, with all the Indian-shopping-needs met by Patel Brothers and all the rest, all of whom now have branches in the Schaumburg area). For its style of cuisine, I dont believe there is any place in Chicagoland near Sankalp's level, at the moment.

My impression about Sundays, BTW, was that it *was* open in the evenings - but maybe for a "buffet" rather than off-the-menu... but I wouldnt swear to it (and would phone and check before planning a Sunday-evening stop)...

c8w
  • Post #30 - October 31st, 2012, 8:28 pm
    Post #30 - October 31st, 2012, 8:28 pm Post #30 - October 31st, 2012, 8:28 pm
    Just wanted to update everyone as my husband and I enjoyed a lovely weekend with a few recommendations from this thread. Though unfortunately we did not make it to Paradise Pup.

We started off with a very hearty seafood soup with rice at Chodang Tofu Village in Mount Prospect. So melt in your mouth and a great value for the quality served.

We did breakfast at Katie's Kitchen in Des Plaines which I absolutely adored. Good coffee and wonderful food. I am a big stuffed french toast fan so the cannolli stuffed french was quite memorable.

My husband was not as adventurous with his choice but he got a solid standard boring fare with nice fruit included.

And not mentioned in this thread but I thought I would put it out there for a good decent polish there is Scooby's Red Hots. It sits lonely in a little strip mall, it was busy for a Friday night and the polishes and fresh cut fries were very well done. Here is the menu in case anyone is interested in visiting.

Just wish we had had time for more. Thanks for all the help.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more