LTH Home

Boston Fish Market of Des Plaines - Hallelujah fresh fish!!

Boston Fish Market of Des Plaines - Hallelujah fresh fish!!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 7
  • Post #121 - October 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm
    Post #121 - October 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm Post #121 - October 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm
    The word on a Facebook page of Des Plaines residents is that the deal fell through on Thursday...can anyone confirm or deny?
  • Post #122 - October 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    Post #122 - October 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm Post #122 - October 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    I can neither confirm or deny that..... :P
  • Post #123 - October 7th, 2014, 10:23 am
    Post #123 - October 7th, 2014, 10:23 am Post #123 - October 7th, 2014, 10:23 am
    Story in the Daily Herald today confirmed it didn't work out.

    Damn. Surely there's another mediocre restaurant in Des Plaines that could go away. :/
  • Post #124 - December 10th, 2014, 1:37 pm
    Post #124 - December 10th, 2014, 1:37 pm Post #124 - December 10th, 2014, 1:37 pm
    I've got little to add after all the above discussion, except that this place serves great food in a crowded, informal, energetic and very friendly atmosphere. Finding out about a place like this is what makes this forum the jewel that it is.
  • Post #125 - December 29th, 2014, 12:12 pm
    Post #125 - December 29th, 2014, 12:12 pm Post #125 - December 29th, 2014, 12:12 pm
    Just walked out of Boston Fish without ordering anything.

    The Fishermans' platter was great at 18.99. When they raised the price to 23 bucks I understood.

    Now it's $30 bucks and I just cannot justify that much money for lunch. It's no larger than the old order, I checked my photos. Similar increases on other items but I was so disappointed I didn't take a copy of the new menu.
  • Post #126 - December 29th, 2014, 12:46 pm
    Post #126 - December 29th, 2014, 12:46 pm Post #126 - December 29th, 2014, 12:46 pm
    Octarine wrote:Now it's $30 bucks and I just cannot justify that much money for lunch


    Maybe it's like an Uber price surge and the cost will go back down after New Years?
  • Post #127 - December 29th, 2014, 1:19 pm
    Post #127 - December 29th, 2014, 1:19 pm Post #127 - December 29th, 2014, 1:19 pm
    That would be worse than a permanent price increase in my mind. If I can't count on a consistent price I'm just not going to go.

    I guess it was too good to last.
  • Post #128 - January 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm
    Post #128 - January 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm Post #128 - January 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm
    I dined here for the first time yesterday at 3:30. Not seeing a host, I stopped a gentleman and asked to take one of a few high-top tables along the windows. He agreed. However, a blonde cashier curtly informed me that there no seats. When I told her I'd already talked to someone about a table, she grudgingly took my order.

    When I asked about a dish, she pointed at the menu. Asked to describe the mixed vegetables, she said, "Mixed vegetables." Her attitude was clearly: Order and get out of the way. I get that is a very busy, counter-service restaurant, but there were 3-4 people behind me in line, and it seemed to be the end of their lunch rush.

    I don't need to be showered me with warmth, but when I'm spending $35+ on lunch for one, I expect a bit more hospitality.
    The servers/bussers were clearly occupied with other tables and trying to keep their heads above water. I was able to get what I needed by flagging them down, but they certainly appeared to be rushing throughout.

    I enjoyed the food, but the price is high when quarters are so cramped and the atmosphere so hectic. I don't plan to re-visit until they address the seating situation. Perhaps with more elbow room, staff will be a bit more gracious.
  • Post #129 - January 4th, 2015, 1:52 pm
    Post #129 - January 4th, 2015, 1:52 pm Post #129 - January 4th, 2015, 1:52 pm
    fleurdesel wrote:I dined here for the first time yesterday at 3:30. Not seeing a host, I stopped a gentleman and asked to take one of a few high-top tables along the windows. He agreed. However, a blonde cashier curtly informed me that there no seats. When I told her I'd already talked to someone about a table, she grudgingly took my order.

    When I asked about a dish, she pointed at the menu. Asked to describe the mixed vegetables, she said, "Mixed vegetables." Her attitude was clearly: Order and get out of the way. I get that is a very busy, counter-service restaurant, but there were 3-4 people behind me in line, and it seemed to be the end of their lunch rush.

    I don't need to be showered me with warmth, but when I'm spending $35+ on lunch for one, I expect a bit more hospitality.
    The servers/bussers were clearly occupied with other tables and trying to keep their heads above water. I was able to get what I needed by flagging them down, but they certainly appeared to be rushing throughout.

    I enjoyed the food, but the price is high when quarters are so cramped and the atmosphere so hectic. I don't plan to re-visit until they address the seating situation. Perhaps with more elbow room, staff will be a bit more gracious.

    This is one thing I love about Edzo's. You're not allowed to camp the seating. Signs on the wall make it clear that you are not to take any seats until you place your order. Plain, simple and effective. I really hate when business owners essentially create a free-for-all for their customers.

    Growth and increasing popularity are not always as easy to manage as long-time customers would hope or should expect. :(

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #130 - January 4th, 2015, 10:51 pm
    Post #130 - January 4th, 2015, 10:51 pm Post #130 - January 4th, 2015, 10:51 pm
    I have to say I really don't understand your reply, Ronnie. What does what you said about camping out have to do with the previous poster's description of his or her experience?

    Then you say, growth and increasing popularity are not always as easy to manage as long-time customers would hope or should expect. But my impression is that the previous poster was a first-time customer.

    Do you mean to say that you inferred that people who were not ready to order were apparently occupying the seating at BFM? Sorry, I guess I'm just missing your point and hope you will explain.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #131 - January 5th, 2015, 8:08 am
    Post #131 - January 5th, 2015, 8:08 am Post #131 - January 5th, 2015, 8:08 am
    Obviously, one person's experience is one person's experience. I was here on a Saturday night* a few weeks ago. With enough people in the space it reminded me of the stateroom scene in Night at the Opera, they still managed to keep order. No one was getting a seat until it was there turn to get a seat, and you did not get in line to order until you had a seat. The servers are always outnumbered here on the best of days, but I thought they handled with their usual aplomb. As to prices, I've come to realize that Boston Seafood is one the great bargains in Chicago dining. You just have to know that any single dish can serve at least 4. So, when you start dividing the cost per dish by per serving, it's a different equation. For instance, there was so much zuppi di pesce leftover from that dinner, that, mixed with 99 cents worth of Caputo's pasta, we got four more meals from it. With the leftover octopus salad, our 2 ordered dishes morphed into 8 total servings.

    *What a crowd on Saturday night. Seemed right out of the Desert Inn circa 1971. I guess the Myron and Phil's people have migrated here.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #132 - January 5th, 2015, 9:17 am
    Post #132 - January 5th, 2015, 9:17 am Post #132 - January 5th, 2015, 9:17 am
    I don't think that Edzo's policy would work at BFM--while the ordering style may be fast casual, the food service is not--the food is served in courses (they serve apps/salads before entrees) and the huge portions mean people sit for longer than they even normally would--so having people order THEN find a table would result in even more of a clusterf*ck then already exists when they're busy. Personally, I'd love to see them shrink the portions and prices--seafood is not, typically, something that I want to be eating leftovers of 4 days later. And the Greek salad, my favorite dish, ends up mush by the next meal. The only time I can really fully enjoy BFM is with a group and that's too bad.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #133 - January 5th, 2015, 10:55 am
    Post #133 - January 5th, 2015, 10:55 am Post #133 - January 5th, 2015, 10:55 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    *What a crowd on Saturday night. Seemed right out of the Desert Inn circa 1971. I guess the Myron and Phil's people have migrated here.


    LOL. I totally agree. Referring to Boston Fish Market, my Mother told me about the "new place that we just heard about from our friends the Bernfields" a few weeks ago.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #134 - January 5th, 2015, 11:02 am
    Post #134 - January 5th, 2015, 11:02 am Post #134 - January 5th, 2015, 11:02 am
    Earlybirds in the house?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #135 - January 5th, 2015, 11:14 am
    Post #135 - January 5th, 2015, 11:14 am Post #135 - January 5th, 2015, 11:14 am
    I've never waited to get in line to get a seat. I always just got in the ordering line ala Edzo's. Beaudreaulicious makes a good point, I can't go to BFM alone anymore.
  • Post #136 - January 5th, 2015, 11:25 am
    Post #136 - January 5th, 2015, 11:25 am Post #136 - January 5th, 2015, 11:25 am
    Octarine wrote:I've never waited to get in line to get a seat. I always just got in the ordering line ala Edzo's. Beaudreaulicious makes a good point, I can't go to BFM alone anymore.


    I still love it and would be happy to meet up whenever anyone wants to go (and I can make it out there). Anyone up for lunch on Wednesday or Friday?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #137 - January 6th, 2015, 4:34 pm
    Post #137 - January 6th, 2015, 4:34 pm Post #137 - January 6th, 2015, 4:34 pm
    I was a first-time diner there and, like Katie, don't fully understand Ronnie's remarks. I didn't see anyone sit down until after s/he had ordered.

    Vital Information, would you explain what you meant by
    "No one was getting a seat until it was their turn to get a seat, and you did not get in line to order until you had a seat.
    How did you know you were assured of a seat? I couldn't even tell who was ordering carryout and who was dining in.

    Not sure what I'm missing here - I was not aware of any seating system. I tried to find a host or manager to see if I could sit at one of several free tables along the wall. I didn't put my things on it; I just wanted to see if those tables were promised to someone else. He agreed that I could sit at one of them, but the cashier contradicted him.

    The seating really isn't working for larger groups, either. A group of couples and their children was waiting for a table together - there was a party of 4 in between free tables at one point, and they were taking their time with a huge amount of food. While I would never try to come to BFM with a group that size, it was 3:30 in the afternoon.

    I hate to see this restaurant alienate customers because they can't figure out seating. They have definitely lost me as a solo diner (fried food doesn't keep that well, and, like boudreaulicious, I don't necessary want leftover seafood), and I'd be concerned about coming here with a group of more than 4. In my opinion, if you're really busy; the food is coursed out; and food is run from the kitchen, you need a host. I get that the space is small, but the status quo is clearly not working.
  • Post #138 - January 6th, 2015, 4:42 pm
    Post #138 - January 6th, 2015, 4:42 pm Post #138 - January 6th, 2015, 4:42 pm
    The first time I went to BFM, it was with a party of 5 for lunch, hitting at about 1pm on a Saturday. While a couple of us got in line to order, the rest grabbed tables when enough space became available. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with that. Why would you want to order your food and then hope you can get a spot to sit and eat it? It's a restaurant, which means sit and eat.
    John Danza
  • Post #139 - January 6th, 2015, 4:59 pm
    Post #139 - January 6th, 2015, 4:59 pm Post #139 - January 6th, 2015, 4:59 pm
    John Danza wrote:The first time I went to BFM, it was with a party of 5 for lunch, hitting at about 1pm on a Saturday. While a couple of us got in line to order, the rest grabbed tables when enough space became available. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with that. Why would you want to order your food and then hope you can get a spot to sit and eat it? It's a restaurant, which means sit and eat.

    My main point is that if there clearly isn't enough seating for the amount of the customers in a place, the house should get actively involved and not leave the customers to fend for themselves.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #140 - January 6th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    Post #140 - January 6th, 2015, 7:37 pm Post #140 - January 6th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    I've only been here once and it was during a Friday lunch hour during a beautiful summer day. Fried lake perch was on point and picnic table seating was ample. Wish I had more opportunities for lunches like that.
  • Post #141 - January 6th, 2015, 8:05 pm
    Post #141 - January 6th, 2015, 8:05 pm Post #141 - January 6th, 2015, 8:05 pm
    Boston Fish Market has been the venue for two LTH-associated eating groups: the Evanston Lunch Group (July 7, 2014), and the LTH North Lunch Group (May 30, 2013). The Evanston lunch was scheduled for 11:30 rather than the usual 12:30 in order to avoid any problems with snagging sufficient seating for the group.
  • Post #142 - January 6th, 2015, 8:51 pm
    Post #142 - January 6th, 2015, 8:51 pm Post #142 - January 6th, 2015, 8:51 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Boston Fish Market has been the venue for two LTH-associated eating groups


    Who is planning the next one and when is it?
  • Post #143 - January 6th, 2015, 8:56 pm
    Post #143 - January 6th, 2015, 8:56 pm Post #143 - January 6th, 2015, 8:56 pm
    kenji wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:Boston Fish Market has been the venue for two LTH-associated eating groups


    Who is planning the next one and when is it?

    The next lunch is a joint lunch by both groups, January 22 at Tava in Morton Grove.

    Meals are announced and organized in the Events Calendar forum on this site; click here.

    All are welcome. Come join us!
  • Post #144 - January 6th, 2015, 8:58 pm
    Post #144 - January 6th, 2015, 8:58 pm Post #144 - January 6th, 2015, 8:58 pm
    No, I meant the next gathering of LTH folks at BFM.
  • Post #145 - January 6th, 2015, 11:38 pm
    Post #145 - January 6th, 2015, 11:38 pm Post #145 - January 6th, 2015, 11:38 pm
    AlekH wrote:I've only been here once and it was during a Friday lunch hour during a beautiful summer day. Fried lake perch was on point and picnic table seating was ample. Wish I had more opportunities for lunches like that.

    Yeah, they lose quite a bit of capacity when the weather is bad.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #146 - January 7th, 2015, 10:08 am
    Post #146 - January 7th, 2015, 10:08 am Post #146 - January 7th, 2015, 10:08 am
    kenji wrote:No, I meant the next gathering of LTH folks at BFM.

    The next lunch venue for each of the two groups is generally discussed over the previous lunch.

    You can also set up a gathering yourself at any time, by announcing it in the Events Calendar forum where those interested in attending can reply.
  • Post #147 - January 7th, 2015, 10:38 am
    Post #147 - January 7th, 2015, 10:38 am Post #147 - January 7th, 2015, 10:38 am
    nsxtasy wrote:
    kenji wrote:No, I meant the next gathering of LTH folks at BFM.

    The next lunch venue for each of the two groups is generally discussed over the previous lunch.

    You can also set up a gathering yourself at any time, by announcing it in the Events Calendar forum where those interested in attending can reply.

    Anytime you want to set one up, kenji, I'm guessing you'll have plenty of prospective attendees. :wink:

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #148 - January 7th, 2015, 1:11 pm
    Post #148 - January 7th, 2015, 1:11 pm Post #148 - January 7th, 2015, 1:11 pm
    fleurdesel wrote:
    Vital Information, would you explain what you meant by
    "No one was getting a seat until it was their turn to get a seat, and you did not get in line to order until you had a seat.
    How did you know you were assured of a seat? I couldn't even tell who was ordering carryout and who was dining in.

    .


    Several people, including the owner, Louie I believe is his name, were directing traffic and trying to keep some semblance of order. At least on this Saturday night, no one was jumping a seat. I also specifically remember being directed to two seats--having to squeeze between people which is one reason it sticks out in my mind.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #149 - January 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm
    Post #149 - January 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm Post #149 - January 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm
    Not to question anyone's judgment but I would never dream of dining in if the place was more than half-full. Their priorities seem to be:

    1.wholesale sales, followed by
    2. retail sales followed by
    3. prepared meals.

    And prepared meals are a distant 3rd.

    Love their food but they need to decide what they want to be because they're certainly not a restaurant of any kind. And that's not a criticism, it's an observation. They do a great job and have really fresh product but they seem to be overwhelmed. So it's takeout only for me, even if it means that my scallops are a bit soggy by the time I get them home (they're still delicious).
  • Post #150 - April 11th, 2015, 8:12 am
    Post #150 - April 11th, 2015, 8:12 am Post #150 - April 11th, 2015, 8:12 am
    What better way to put bread back in one's diet than as coating for smelts, walleye, whitefish, and perch, and man did they fry everything well. It's funny, I recently heard someone noting the lack of nobility in great lakes fish. Man who cares when it's this good.*

    Anyways, I'm not here to praise the fish. It's to report on yet another stellar addition to their offerings. Skordalia, that blend of potatoes, garlic, and olive oil that seems too much to eat but you cannot stop eating it. I think, maybe, it's on the menu for Greek Lent. I hope they never take it off. Like about everything here, it's made very well, and better than you would think sitting 12 inches (as I did) from a display of fresh fish. And just as important, like everything else here, the portion was huge. The smelts were even better dragged through this dip.

    *At dinner, we were talking about why so many diners insist that ocean fish is better. I said it's firmer and meatier. Both my daughters, especially Sophie, countered that they preferred the texture of lake fish. "Like butter," she said. See.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more