LTH Home

Nini's Deli

Nini's Deli
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Nini's Deli

Post #1 - April 27th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #1 - April 27th, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #1 - April 27th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    In my opinion this place is kind of just amazing in its randomness. It's the perfect place to bring your gluten-free Latino Muslim friends if you have any. Otherwise, it's got some great and interesting options. It's run by a couple- the wife is Cuban I believe and the husband is Lebanese-Cuban. I think my favorite thing here is the meatball sandwich. The meatballs have an amazing creamy texture and the sauce is just the right amount of spicy. I also recommend their Middle Eastern items like their tangy dolmas, crispy falafel, and bright fresh tabbouleh salad. I also often pick up their homemade red and green salsas. If I'm in the right mood for sugar flavored sugar, their Café Cubano (coffee filtered through sugar I believe) is excellent. But if I'm not, they have a lot of health-food store-like offerings like kombucha and teas. I'm looking forward to trying more of the interesting offerings here. I'll get some pics next time I'm there.

543 N Noble St
    Chicago, IL 60642
  • Post #2 - April 28th, 2013, 9:05 pm
    Post #2 - April 28th, 2013, 9:05 pm Post #2 - April 28th, 2013, 9:05 pm
    Lots of Lebanese Cubans. Emilio Estefan, eg. Most are not Muslim, however.

Cuban coffee is generally strong espresso with a ton of sugar added at the end and whipped with a fork to create "espuma". The most "authentic" Cuban coffee is brewed by pouring hot water into a stocking-like strainer containing espresso and sugar. You never see this anymore.

Cafecito, with 2 branches in the Loop, makes excellent Cuban coffee and cafe con leche. The owner just happens to be Lebanese. But not Cuban. He pretty much nails it, though. I'll have to check Nini's out. Haven't had quipe (kibbeh) in a Cuban place for a long time.
  • Post #3 - January 7th, 2020, 9:13 am
    Post #3 - January 7th, 2020, 9:13 am Post #3 - January 7th, 2020, 9:13 am
    Yelp‌ ‌claims‌ ‌relatively unknown Nini’s‌ ‌Deli‌ ‌is‌ ‌the‌ ‌top‌ ‌place‌ ‌to‌ ‌eat‌ ‌in‌ ‌Chicago

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - January 7th, 2020, 9:57 am
    Post #4 - January 7th, 2020, 9:57 am Post #4 - January 7th, 2020, 9:57 am
    <edited to withdraw my endorsement of a business which has revealed itself to be intolerant toward LGBTQ folx and those of non-Christian beliefs & being on the wrong side of history 6/6/2020. That top Yelp score is no more.>
    Last edited by Jefe on June 6th, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #5 - January 7th, 2020, 10:48 am
    Post #5 - January 7th, 2020, 10:48 am Post #5 - January 7th, 2020, 10:48 am
    Jefe wrote:But not to be underestimated is the hustle of Juan Elias Riesco, the shop’s 2nd generation manager. His social media game is infectious and he has a huge following in the local street ware & hip hop scenes.

It’s been cool watching them evolve from a sleepy bodega to a lines-out-the-door phenomenon. I’d credit this all to young Juan who’s been running the shop for at least five years.
    Good to see the hard work paying off, superficial clickbait or otherwise. I'd heard of the place, never been, when they popped up on Cooking Channel best of show (Food Paradise, iirc) in the last week. The ropa vieja burrito was the dish featured. I prefer ropa vieja in standard form, but still good to see these guys have carved themselves a nice little niche.
  • Post #6 - June 8th, 2020, 10:12 am
    Post #6 - June 8th, 2020, 10:12 am Post #6 - June 8th, 2020, 10:12 am
    Nini’s Deli has permanently closed in West Town after crowds gathered over the weekend to protest a series of racist and homophobic social media posts made by its owners.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/6/8/2128 ... ic-remarks
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #7 - June 9th, 2020, 5:55 am
    Post #7 - June 9th, 2020, 5:55 am Post #7 - June 9th, 2020, 5:55 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Nini’s Deli has permanently closed in West Town after crowds gathered over the weekend to protest a series of racist and homophobic social media posts made by its owners.

Why does anyone who is in sales of any kind post anything other than the most mundane things on social media ? None of the people that I sell to have any idea of my political or moral beliefs and they never will.
  • Post #8 - June 9th, 2020, 7:02 am
    Post #8 - June 9th, 2020, 7:02 am Post #8 - June 9th, 2020, 7:02 am
    lougord99 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

Why does anyone who is in sales of any kind post anything other than the most mundane things on social media ? None of the people that I sell to have any idea of my political or moral beliefs and they never will.

Or at least know your market. Ben and Jerry's has taken a very hardline pro-BLM stance... And they've received a ton of positive PR for it. But B&J's has made political activism for left leaning causes part of the fabric of the company from the very start.

Now I have no idea how that's impacting sales. I'm sure some on the left are buying a couple extra tubs of Cherry Garcia; and some on the right are swearing it off and doubling up their Chick-fil-A intake. But I do know that it's still in business.

You're absolutely right though that these Nini's guys were idiots. How do you operate in a diverse neighborhood/city for so long... And then post that to social media?
  • Post #9 - June 9th, 2020, 7:26 am
    Post #9 - June 9th, 2020, 7:26 am Post #9 - June 9th, 2020, 7:26 am
    lougord99 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

You wouldn't believe how many people I've had to tell "No, you cannot put your political or religious beliefs and/or opinions in your work email signature. No, I'm NOT violating your first amendment rights. Yes, you will be fired if this continues."
  • Post #10 - June 9th, 2020, 9:18 am
    Post #10 - June 9th, 2020, 9:18 am Post #10 - June 9th, 2020, 9:18 am
    I don't fully understand social media. Is it for people who don't have friends or socialize? Maybe some who think they know everything and want to prove it? I personally don't get it, but it certainly is omnipresent. That being the case, you are right about having to be a moron.............
  • Post #11 - June 9th, 2020, 10:39 am
    Post #11 - June 9th, 2020, 10:39 am Post #11 - June 9th, 2020, 10:39 am
    Puckjam wrote:I don't fully understand social media. Is it for people who don't have friends or socialize? Maybe some who think they know everything and want to prove it? I personally don't get it, but it certainly is omnipresent. That being the case, you are right about having to be a moron.............

One of the features (good or bad) of social media is that it gives people a mechanism to voice their opinions on many topics. And some will even do so when it's a topic they don't understand

Cue the Alanis Morrisette music....
  • Post #12 - June 9th, 2020, 11:58 am
    Post #12 - June 9th, 2020, 11:58 am Post #12 - June 9th, 2020, 11:58 am
    A lot of businesses use Facebook because it is a lot easier to keep things current on Facebook than it is on a website such as your hours open, and my Sister Annette that has the farm in Michigan she has a website for her farm and Upick, but it is much easier for her to update her Facebook page and inform people what she is upicking that weekend and what hours she is open. She can also answer peoples questions a lot easier. She does have her own Facebook page that she has been posting on a lot more because she has been staying home more. She has been posting a lot of lost or found pets, and lets people know if something is going on or something has been cancelled.
  • Post #13 - June 9th, 2020, 12:04 pm
    Post #13 - June 9th, 2020, 12:04 pm Post #13 - June 9th, 2020, 12:04 pm
    Puckjam wrote:I don't fully understand social media. Is it for people who don't have friends or socialize? Maybe some who think they know everything and want to prove it? I personally don't get it, but it certainly is omnipresent.
    I don't really see much of a difference between this website and whatever the generic ideation of social media is. People post statements, opinions, photos under a user/nick-name, are able to send direct messages to other users of the platform. This is just one subject-matter focused version of social media, moderated with different intentions than larger algorithmic driven giants.
  • Post #14 - June 9th, 2020, 1:04 pm
    Post #14 - June 9th, 2020, 1:04 pm Post #14 - June 9th, 2020, 1:04 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    Puckjam wrote:I don't fully understand social media. Is it for people who don't have friends or socialize? Maybe some who think they know everything and want to prove it? I personally don't get it, but it certainly is omnipresent.
    I don't really see much of a difference between this website and whatever the generic ideation of social media is. People post statements, opinions, photos under a user/nick-name, are able to send direct messages to other users of the platform. This is just one subject-matter focused version of social media, moderated with different intentions than larger algorithmic driven giants.

Well, one significant difference is that many of us are posting here as anonymous individuals, and who we are -- and what we post here -- isn't necessarily connected to our professional lives.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - June 9th, 2020, 1:42 pm
    Post #15 - June 9th, 2020, 1:42 pm Post #15 - June 9th, 2020, 1:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Well, one significant difference is that many of us are posting here as anonymous individuals, and who we are -- and what we post here -- isn't necessarily connected to our professional lives.
    That sounds like no difference at all from my vantage point. There's nothing inherently more or less anonymous about picking a username here or on other platforms. The same goes for content being connected to one's professional lives. People post about what they're interested in. Here it's food. Other places it's sports, politics, music, etc. Larger platforms just let the user jump from one to the other more seamlessly.
  • Post #16 - June 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Post #16 - June 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm Post #16 - June 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Well, one significant difference is that many of us are posting here as anonymous individuals, and who we are -- and what we post here -- isn't necessarily connected to our professional lives.
    That sounds like no difference at all from my vantage point. There's nothing inherently more or less anonymous about picking a username here or on other platforms. The same goes for content being connected to one's professional lives. People post about what they're interested in. Here it's food. Other places it's sports, politics, music, etc. Larger platforms just let the user jump from one to the other more seamlessly.

Huge difference, imo, when one willingly and intentionally connects their social media presence to their business or job, or worse yet, posts on behalf of the business. I don't see much or any of that happening here.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #17 - June 9th, 2020, 4:07 pm
    Post #17 - June 9th, 2020, 4:07 pm Post #17 - June 9th, 2020, 4:07 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Why does anyone who is in sales of any kind post anything other than the most mundane things on social media ? None of the people that I sell to have any idea of my political or moral beliefs and they never will.

The day is coming when that will no longer be sufficient. Even as we speak the "Silence is Violence" mantra is gaining traction and companies of all stripes have scrambled out of self-preservation to make pronouncements on social issues that have absolutely nothing to do with their core business.
  • Post #18 - June 10th, 2020, 8:01 am
    Post #18 - June 10th, 2020, 8:01 am Post #18 - June 10th, 2020, 8:01 am
    When that day comes, we will all be puppets.
  • Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 11:15 am
    Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 11:15 am Post #19 - June 11th, 2021, 11:15 am
    Nini’s Deli announces plan to reopen, 1 year after its homophobic, anti-Black Lives Matter messaging drew outrage (Josh Noel, Chicago Tribune, 6/11/21)
  • Post #20 - June 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm
    Post #20 - June 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm Post #20 - June 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm
    I don't think I'd reopen with the same media strategy the Riesco brothers are choosing if I wanted my restaurant to be successful long term.

Now, if my goal was national media coverage to play the victim and an eventual gofundme for like minded people to stick it to 'cancel culture'? Well, that at least seems to make sense.
  • Post #21 - June 15th, 2021, 6:14 am
    Post #21 - June 15th, 2021, 6:14 am Post #21 - June 15th, 2021, 6:14 am
    admich wrote:I don't think I'd reopen with the same media strategy the Riesco brothers are choosing if I wanted my restaurant to be successful long term.

Now, if my goal was national media coverage to play the victim and an eventual gofundme for like minded people to stick it to 'cancel culture'? Well, that at least seems to make sense.

Agreed. It does not seem like a viable plan for a restaurant in this city, and that neighborhood in particular. And you may be right that this is just a ploy for attention/GoFundMe's. I mean, according to the post, they'll just be serving empanadas and iced coffee, which seems extremely pared down from their earlier offerings (although I suppose that could be pandemic related, as many restaurants are offering smaller menus).

Anyway, I won't be patronizing them, nor will I be protesting (don't want to feed the trolls).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more